Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am REALLY getting tired of people saying LotRO has no PVP

I am SO tired of everyone on these damn forums is saying that LotRO has no PVP. So PVP can't be innovative? It has to be a gankfest? And if there's no PVP than how come you can duel people? LotRO has PVP people! Monster Play is put in to prevent ganking! You guys complain you want innovative gameplay, but when companies give you that, YOU COMPLAIN!!! Do you want the same-old same-old, or something new? I dont care which but make up your mind!

Comments

• Zech4Zech4 Member Posts: 80
    LOTRO doesnt have pvp!
  • RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525
    I like LotRO, and I really like the PvE in the game, but sorry, the PvP is barely existant. And the one area that  there is is bugged and unbalanced. Yes, people are exaggerating with saying 'there's no PvP'. But saying that 'there's PvP' is an exaggeration just as much.

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by Zech4

LOTRO doesnt have pvp!
    QFT
  • christwariorchristwarior Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Rayana

I like LotRO, and I really like the PvE in the game, but sorry, the PvP is barely existant. And the one area that  there is is bugged and unbalanced. Yes, people are exaggerating with saying 'there's no PvP'. But saying that 'there's PvP' is an exaggeration just as much.

Monster Play will get better when more people get to level 40 (the level required for you to go into etenmoors as a normal char). Not sure what you mean by bugged tho. I've been in there many times and I have yet to find these "bugs". I've found a few people in Etenmoors and i pwned them. Now that's PVP isn't it?

Oh and zech I know your doing that just to piss me off but it's not working.

Originally posted by christwarior

Monster Play will get better when more people get to level 40 (the level required for you to go into etenmoors as a normal char). Not sure what you mean by bugged tho. I've been in there many times and I have yet to find these "bugs". I've found a few people in Etenmoors and i pwned them. Now that's PVP isn't it?

Oh and zech I know your doing that just to piss me off but it's not working.

I know how you can get in, and I know the requirements for joining both the freep and creep side. When more people hit 40 it'll get worse rather than better, in the state the MP currently is in. Freep chars are much stronger. Period. As of now, that's not a problem at all, since creeps can just zerg them with numbers. Creeps really DO need larger numbers. If more freeps are going to play, noone in his right mind will enter as a creep again. Winning is fun, being fame farmed on is not. Have fun PvPing with no enemies around anymore.

And yes, there are bugs, mainly on the creep side. The biggest and baddest one of them is the armour bug. You see, freeps can repair their armour. Creeps can not, because that's bugged. It would be really great if I could get rid of my -523 armour penalty on my creep so I can face freeps with +1000something armour on a bit more equal ground again. You've been in Ettenmoors on a creep? Just check your armour class for a good laugh. Good luck repairing your gimped creep.

And yes, killing player controlled chars is PvP. But come on, it's just one area. With just one area, and the bugs, it really is an exaggeration to call this 'PvP'. Not even the devs call it PvP! They call it PvM. And it's nothing more than a side show.

LotRO certainly won't feed my PvP needs. Not in this state anyway. And I doubt anyone who has a decent intrest in PvP will find the 'PvP' in LotRO very exciting, or would even dare to call it 'PvP'. Not that it matters to me, because I play this game for the PvE. I enjoy the PvE in this game. But I really need to play another game to get my PvP fix.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

I am SO tired of everyone on these damn forums is saying that LotRO has no PVP. So PVP can't be innovative? It has to be a gankfest? And if there's no PVP than how come you can duel people? LotRO has PVP people! Monster Play is put in to prevent ganking! You guys complain you want innovative gameplay, but when companies give you that, YOU COMPLAIN!!! Do you want the same-old same-old, or something new? I dont care which but make up your mind!
    It's very simple...

Many posters in forums like these can't see past their own nose when it comes to formulating a point-of-view; thus, their views are ego-centric and lack objectivity.

A great example of this.. How many times have you seen posts by people declaring something "broken", even though what they're addressing is working exactly as designed/intended? When you read between the lines, what they're really saying is "I don't like the way it's implemented". Likewise, when they say "it needs to be fixed", what they're really saying is "I want it changed to the way I like it".  It happens all the time.

So that, right there, sets the tone for many such posts in forums such as these.

Same with PvP.

Yes, LoTRO does have PvP. It has the capability for one player to challenge another player - or multiple other players, through a character in-game. One Player versus another Player.. thus PvP. Where or how it takes place doesn't make it any more or less so, however strongly one feels against it.

That there are imbalances or, perhaps, bugs in the PvP system makes it no less PvP.. it merely makes it a PvP system that still needs some tweaking.

The way it's framed by many people is - keeping in mind the ego-centric mindset many have - "it doesn't have PvP the way I want it, so there for it doesn't have PvP." It's a really shallow and ridiculous argument to make, but people make it nonetheless.

So.. an easy way to go forward is, when you see these "LoTRO doesn't have PvP" comments... just tack on "the way I like it" to the end.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Geez, relax - you're going to have a coronary!

So LOTRO has PvP-lite, what's to stress about?  Do you WANT LOTRO filled with people whose idea of a good time is a gankfest?  Are you worried that there are not enough people playing so that the Devs will change MP into more traditional PvP?  Look around - servers are full, no worries.  Sit back and have a /smoke [or wait a few more weeks and have a farmer-made beer ]  There is nothing wrong with LOTRO not having PvP

• TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117

Die hard PvPer's really shouldnt knock the Monster play in LotRO, your'e only shooting yourself in the foot. I've been playing MMO's since EQ first released and have always hated PvP with a passion. I tried the MPvP during my time in Beta and found it very enjoyable. So much so, for the first time in my gaming life I'm actually glancing at 'hardcore' PvP games like 'maybe to be released' Darkfall.

Think of MPvP as PvP with training wheels, it just might get enough stubborn old PVE'ers like myself to bolster the numbers, enough to encourage developers to produce better and more numerous PVP-centric games.

And it is an original concept, which is rare these days :)

Originally posted by Tamalan  
    Die hard PvPer's really shouldnt knock the Monster play in LotRO, your'e only shooting yourself in the foot.

Not that I'm a die hard PvPer (I enjoy an equal amount of PvE and PvP; and in this case, LotRO provides me with the PvE, and I play another game to suit my PvP needs), but you lost me there? Why are die hard PvPers shooting themselves in the foot?

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Die hard PvPer's really shouldnt knock the Monster play in LotRO, your'e only shooting yourself in the foot.

Not that I'm a die hard PvPer (I enjoy an equal amount of PvE and PvP; and in this case, LotRO provides me with the PvE, and I play another game to suit my PvP needs), but you lost me there? Why are die hard PvPers shooting themselves in the foot?

Simple...he's saying if there was no monster play, he would never have looked at pvp period. He is saying there are possibly many others being introduced to pvp who would have otherwised frowned upon it. This may lead to better pvp games coming out later if there is more support from the gaming community.

LotRO is attracting many new players to the MMO genre due to the IP, for these players it will be their first exposure to PvP in an online RPG. I, even as a 'dyed in the wool' PVE player, found MPvP very exciting and fun, and like i said in my post, its actually got me looking at up and coming PVP games for the first time in nearly 8 years.

Purely PvP MMO's are thin on the ground (numerous forum posts by homeless PvP'ers support this). More interest in PvP due to the 'PvP-lite' in LoTR might suggest to developers that a 'hardcore' game just might be profitable and therefore worth investing in.

You see, when PvPers stop all the posturing and 'carebear' labelling, they actually have my support. Anything that encourages new/PVE players to dip their toe in the PvP water shouldnt be looked down upon by the wise PvPer, it just might result in producing a successful new game for our 'hardcore' brothers :)

Originally posted by WSIMike

That there are imbalances or, perhaps, bugs in the PvP system makes it no less PvP.. it merely makes it a PvP system that still needs some tweaking.

The way it's framed by many people is - keeping in mind the ego-centric mindset many have - "it doesn't have PvP the way I want it, so there for it doesn't have PvP." It's a really shallow and ridiculous argument to make, but people make it nonetheless.

So.. an easy way to go forward is, when you see these "LoTRO doesn't have PvP" comments... just tack on "the way I like it" to the end.

It's a PvP system that needs some serious bug fixes first, before anything else. 'PvP' in this game is nothing but an addon in LotRO, and it's on the low end of the priority list. And again, it's not even called 'PvP' by the devs even. So why would *I* (or you, or anyone else) call it PvP?

Furthermore, I could state some nasty sounding generalizations I sometimes hear the other way around as well. How about this one: PvE players love to think that they are PvPers as well, and are, of course, much, MUCH, more mature as opposed to all those 'ego-centric maniacs that only want to gank and have no reasonable arguments ever'. In other words: most PvE players think they are tons better, much more mature and indefinitely more intelligent than any PvP player. Elitists in other words.

Originally posted by Bama1267

Simple...he's saying if there was no monster play, he would never have looked at pvp period. He is saying there are possibly many others being introduced to pvp who would have otherwised frowned upon it. This may lead to better pvp games coming out later if there is more support from the gaming community. I doubt it will lead to better PvP games if they are going to be molded and implemented and bugged like PvM in LotRO. Sorry, I just couldn't resist this one

Originally posted by Bama1267

Simple...he's saying if there was no monster play, he would never have looked at pvp period. He is saying there are possibly many others being introduced to pvp who would have otherwised frowned upon it. This may lead to better pvp games coming out later if there is more support from the gaming community.I doubt it will lead to better PvP games if they are going to be molded and implemented and bugged like PvM in LotRO. Sorry, I just couldn't resist this one Aye, bit of a cheap shot, but I understand how it was irresistable :D
  • LashersLashers Member Posts: 186
    I think what they mean is that LOTR has no "traditional" PvP. 

It's a PvP system that needs some serious bug fixes first, before anything else. 'PvP' in this game is nothing but an addon in LotRO, and it's on the low end of the priority list. And again, it's not even called 'PvP' by the devs even. So why would *I* (or you, or anyone else) call it PvP?

First, you're putting forth this "addon" theory - can you please provide some proof? Show me where Turbine cites PvMP as an "addon" or some sort of after-thought? Come on - you're talking as though PvP is somehow a new concept to them, when their first MMO, Asheron's Call, has had it for years now. No.. they didn't include it as an add-on, they included it as a *new twist on the type of PvP seen in most other PvP games on the market*.

As for it not being PvP because it's called PvMP... Umm..  lol? 
    I'll just let that... 'argument'... drown in its own stupidity. It doesn't need my help.

Furthermore, I could state some nasty sounding generalizations I sometimes hear the other way around as well. How about this one: PvE players love to think that they are PvPers as well, and are, of course, much, MUCH, more mature as opposed to all those 'ego-centric maniacs that only want to gank and have no reasonable arguments ever'. In other words: most PvE players think they are tons better, much more mature and indefinitely more intelligent than any PvP player. Elitists in other words.

Umm.. is it possible for someone who enjoys PvE to also enjoy PvP? Absolutely. I'm one of them. So... it's not that some PvE'ers think they are PvP'ers as well... it's that *they actually are*.

As for elitist comment.. again... lol. Pot? Meet Kettle.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

First, you're putting forth this "addon" theory - can you please provide some proof? Show me where Turbine cites PvMP as an "addon" or some sort of after-thought? Come on - you're talking as though PvP is somehow a new concept to them, when their first MMO, Asheron's Call, has had it for years now. No.. they didn't include it as an add-on, they included it as a *new twist on the type of PvP seen in most other PvP games on the market*.

I'll just let that... 'argument'... drown in its own stupidity. It doesn't need my help.

Umm.. is it possible for someone who enjoys PvE to also enjoy PvP? Absolutely. I'm one of them. So... it's not that some PvE'ers think they are PvP'ers as well... it's that *they actually are*.

Yes, they never intended to even add PvP, because it didn't fit into the LotRO lore. Because it was requested so much, however, they decided to set up the PvP the way it is now. I don't feel like wading through 2 years of LotRO history right now, but anyone can do that if they want.

As far as the elitist comment: did I say I am saying it?

I don't know if you've noticed it yourself, but you've been awefully rude, with a lot of name calling, trolling perhaps, right from your first post on. I think you do, or else you wouldn't react to the elitist comment so heavily.

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

PvMP is not a last minute add on. The devs stated in the usual cryptic way back when they announced no tradtional PvP that they were working on non traditional meens of PvP. They call it PvMP to distinquish it from traditional PvP. Cause the traditional PvP label has a certain and very specific definition that goes along with it. That is usually you can attack anyone at anytime, anywere in the game when ever you feel like it. They wanted to get away from this type of PvP.

Also if you did some reading up the August update has been revealed as the big PvMP update. They will also make some changes in the june update but the august one is the big one for PvMP. Look for the changes you are talking about. It takes time to balance out and fix bugs. I know i wouldn't want the job of searching thru all them millions (i am guessing) lines of code to find the one bug i am looking for. Turbine has stated that PvMP is a big part of the game. It may not be center focus but it is not a after thought. They are excited about PvMP and are working on improving it.

The best things about PvMP is 1) a player never has to participate if they don't want too. 2)no people running around killing others just cause they can interrupting other players game.3)any balancing can be done on the monster side. IE making the monsters strtonger to be able to stand up to the freeps. Making it so that the PvE part of the game isn't changed in the name of PvP balance.

You will find elitist in both playstyles. That is a give in. The people who can talk about things and not resort to name calling or flaming are the ones who are mature enough to see that it isn't worth fightning over. Though sometimes maturity is a matter of how your day went. If you had a bad day at work you are more up too lash out on the forums. Well that is my experience anyway.

imageimage

Yes, they never intended to even add PvP, because it didn't fit into the LotRO lore. Because it was requested so much, however, they decided to set up the PvP the way it is now. I don't feel like wading through 2 years of LotRO history right now, but anyone can do that if they want.

As far as the elitist comment: did I say I am saying it?

I don't know if you've noticed it yourself, but you've been awefully rude, with a lot of name calling, trolling perhaps, right from your first post on. I think you do, or else you wouldn't react to the elitist comment so heavily.

I've been name-calling? Trolling perhaps? Since my first post? You're right.. I haven't noticed. Can you please quote the specific times I've called anyone names or trolled? I sure as hell don't remember any.

As for the elitist comment... Back-pedal much?

You give examples of comments you've apparently seen made by PvE'ers as examples of a particular behavior/attitude, and then sum it up by saying, "Elitists in other words". So... yes, actually, you did say it. Unless you're going to say the "Elitists in other words" comment wasn't your own?

can't see past their own nose when it comes to formulating a point-of-view; thus, their views are ego-centric and lack objectivity.

the ego-centric mindset many have

a really shallow and ridiculous argument to make, but people make it nonetheless.

I call that troll like comments. Flame bait.

Bottom line is: you think that the game has PvP, I think the game barely has any PvP.

I'm done with biting in your flame bait for now. Was fun :)

• NigherisNigheris Member Posts: 70
    PvP = Player vs Player... No matter how you spin, twist, say it, talk about it or read it, it is always going to mean the same thing... If a game (Any game) has the ability for one Player to attack or kill another player it has PvP in it.

Now with that said does it contain the "Desired" mechanics of PvP that you are looking for? For instance in WoW on a PvP server you can kill ANYONE of the opposite faction anywhere at anytime (for the most part) this is what most consider PvP. But when a lvl 70 kills a lvl 25, where is the challenge that most seek in PvP? LoTRO may not contain the ability to attack a half dead Dwarf that is still fighting a mob (Like they do it in WoW) but I think that a lot of folks enjoy that. Never know later on down the line they may open a server just for gankfest PvP...

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors not his equals!!!

• gothmog56gothmog56 Member Posts: 46
    you dont understand pvp.killing a half dead dwarf fightening a mob IS what they consider pvp.they dont want fair fights,no they want a kill no matter how much a level difference.if they could they would raid newbie zones and slaughter lvl 1's.the fact is most pvp'ers are cowards and actually cant play worth a damn.but the reason they dont consider lotro pvp is because its more of a duel than they care for.frankly what wow needs to do is put ina level restriction,say oyu cant pvp anyone uder 5 levels below you.that meants you cant ATTACK nor support anyone below that level either.
  • xAlrythxxAlrythx Member Posts: 585

They call it PvM.
    No, they call it PvMP, a player verses a monster player, which is a player verses a player and it fills players needs just fine, think of the PvP as WoW BG's without being able to open PvP when outside of this area. Also consider the fact that a lot of players who play WoW proberly never encounter or participate in open PvP for many reasons. I guess the people that don't enjoy open PvP or use it don't PvP at all then? None of these points matter anyway, it's PvP no matter what argument says otherwise.

Currently Playing: Everything but MMORPGs
    Cancelled: L2, FFXI, VSoH, LotRO, WAR, WoW
    Looking Forward To: SW:TOR

• gothmog56gothmog56 Member Posts: 46
    pve players like a challenge,pvp player like a gift horse.sorry guy ive seen pvp from its conception in text based ganes and you know what not a damn thing has changed. they attack people in fights,low health point because they want an easy kill.in one game i played they had a contest,kingdoms were made and you fought over control of land pvp.the last 2 kingdoms wer one of pvp'ers and the other was opfpve'ers.the pvp'er were slaughtered in ever battle.why cause they did not iknow how to attack people with full hp's.
  • NigherisNigheris Member Posts: 70
    I really enjoy PvP in the BGs in WoW, World PvP was something different, it was not real PvP... I am glad to see that other agree here. There is a difference in PvP and a Gankfest  real PvP can be a BLAST!

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors not his equals!!!