Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is great without the lifers

rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 151
I'm sorry I have to say it.  It's incredibly sad to know that some people play this game all the time.  Even one of the comments Blizzard has during the loading of this game is "Remember to take everything into moderation, even world of warcraft".  It's so unhealthy for you guys to sit on this game and play all day long.  You need to get some friends, socialize and learn to interact with people. 

If you are wondering why you have suicidal thoughts or deep depression, it's not World of warcraft, it's the energy you are wasting into this game.  I'm sure the most of us who play games like this one have addictive personalities, meaning our minds are like sponges and we suck onto everything we come in touch with.  I'm sure the smartest and most innovative minds are sitting on this stupid game wasting the time away leveling up.  Try investing your time into something else for a while.  Find something you might be interested in, Sports, Music, Education, programming, something else that's fun that has a positive effect on your body, (Guitar Hero is a video game, but it gets your blood flowing; Nintendo Wii is great for exercise and some of the games are really good). 

Find a game that you can play next to somebody.  Socializing is very important, not typing out all your thoughts.  Some people would argue that they have teamspeak.  It's just not the same guys.  You need to interact with somebody maybe even physically.  Somebody needs to be in the same vicinity as you and it can't be your mom. 

Life is tough at first, but you will never get anywhere if you don't throw yourself into it and try.  The illusion of the internet and mmos can keep you living in an alternate universe that is incredibly harmful and destructive to the mind. 

Now for my main point.  There are people out there that have a handle on this game.  They play for an hour a night or sometimes get a Saturday to blow five hours on this game with their friends.  The lifers that play this all the time are taking their depressing attitudes and ruining the game for the casual gamer(which is who Blizzard has purposefully tried to attract more of).  You are not cool that you sit on this game all day long, you need to read the beginning of my article and do that.  You probably should leave WOW for a good while, mmos altogether until you are more mature and able to play this game with a fun and controllable attitude. 

If all you do is eat cake all the time, you are going to become very unhealthy and eventually die from heart disease or clogged arteries.  When you raise a child you don't give them everything they want, because they don't know what they want, they just think they know what they want.  Blizzard is not going to raise your properly.  Most WOW players are adults, so why not act like kids in the game, but on a healthy level moderate your gametime and analyze what you are spending the majority of your time doing during the week.  Thanks for reading.

Comments

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    This thread is going to go down hill in a hurry.  Your preaching to the probably 3 percent minority of players that wouldn't listen to you anyway.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    While getting away from the computer and socializing with people in the real world, spending time outside and exercising is a great idea, this thread will probably end up getting flamed anyway. 

I agree with you on many of the statements you have made, unfortunately MMO addiction is a real thing and some people need to get their fix.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

Originally posted by Raunu

While getting away from the computer and socializing with people in the real world, spending time outside and exercising is a great idea, this thread will probably end up getting flamed anyway. 

I agree with you on many of the statements you have made, unfortunately MMO addiction is a real thing and some people need to get their fix.
    Overall this is true but I don't think MMO addiction isnt any more of a problem then any other addiction.  There are billions of people in the world that don't abuse booze and then there are the addicts.  The same goes for anything really.  I think the large majority of people that play MMO's are not addicted.  I think the majority of the playerbase of most game are like myself, MMO gaming is a one of multiple hobbies they have.  I love MMO's.  I also love playing disc golf, grilling out with my wife and friends, working on the yard of my new house to list a few.  Most players are like that.

• ClatilClatil Member Posts: 41
    I think to come back to this game every day and play for more than a few hours could be considered an addiction. I think anyone who watches television for more than a few hours a day could be considered an addict. Anyone who drinks more than a few alcoholic drinks a week is considered to have at least a borderline problem. But I think in games like WoW and other mmo's addiction isnt really a problem for most players, and the message that the OP is posting to "socialize" is really seemingly an expression of his frustration with people who are able to play more than he does / would like to. There really is only a small minority of people who play to the point that they socialize with no one, eat all day, and are otherwise fat useless videogame playing blobs, just as theres only a small minority of people who ONLY watch tv all day and dont get a fair share of life. Your preaching, in my opinion, isn't helpful, it just expresses the fact that you are frustrated and thereby can stand on your podium and preach the "right way to live." I agree that moderation in all things is a necessity, and I don't even play an MMO right now, but honestly, a bit over the top.
  • kjemperkjemper Member Posts: 181

I, like many of my generation, have been raised on computer games.  I have been playing video games since the Commodore64 when I was still in diapers and MMOs since I was a young teenager with Ultima Online.  All of these blanket statements about those who play too many video games turn out to be suicidal lunatics is just that, a blanket statement.  It is nothing but a theory that people like myself prove very untrue. 

I play games 30-50 hours a week, what people like you consider being an addictive nature.  Should you know me, you’d know that I am far from unhealthy physically and mentally.  

I hold a >3.5 GPA and I am in my junior year of college attempting a double major, and succeeding by taking over a full load of classes each semester.  (including summer).

I also have been very happily married for 5 years this July to a supportive wife that has never once criticized or complained about my gaming. (She's never had a reason to) 

I participate in an internship program 15-20 hours a week. 

I usually exercise by jogging, riding a bike, or getting on my own treadmill for 1/2 an hour to 1 hr at least every other day.  My favorite vacation is hiking or biking in several miles to remote locations in the Gifford Pinchot National forest to go camping with my wife on weekends.

I have several friends most of which I have met through gaming.  Twice a year, after Christmas and during Memorial Day, most of us gather for a large LAN party.  People fly or drive from Canada and as far as Texas to Portland, OR to get together and enjoy ourselves.  Some of these folks I've known for 12 years (met in middle school) and the only reason we've kept in contact is because of our networks we've formed through gaming.

These statements that you have made are nothing but blanket statements and several people know that.  I've written several papers on such statements with the sole purpose to debunk them as unfounded theories.  This is no different than those who claimed rock and roll turned people suicidal and thus mentally unstable.  I'm not sure what your reasons are for making this post, but perhaps you should think through things a little more. 

I am not a rare case.  I am an average hardcore gamer who simply enjoys his hobby of gaming.

Originally posted by Clatil

I think to come back to this game every day and play for more than a few hours could be considered an addiction. I think anyone who watches television for more than a few hours a day could be considered an addict. Anyone who drinks more than a few alcoholic drinks a week is considered to have at least a borderline problem. But I think in games like WoW and other mmo's addiction isnt really a problem for most players, and the message that the OP is posting to "socialize" is really seemingly an expression of his frustration with people who are able to play more than he does / would like to. There really is only a small minority of people who play to the point that they socialize with no one, eat all day, and are otherwise fat useless videogame playing blobs, just as theres only a small minority of people who ONLY watch tv all day and dont get a fair share of life. Your preaching, in my opinion, isn't helpful, it just expresses the fact that you are frustrated and thereby can stand on your podium and preach the "right way to live." I agree that moderation in all things is a necessity, and I don't even play an MMO right now, but honestly, a bit over the top.
    I think the problem with your theory (And the general theory of addiction) is that it is based off of a number.  A number doesn't mean anything.  Drinking 3 beers a week is really no different then drinking 20 beers a week.  What really makes the difference (And in my oppinion makes a addict) is if someone NEEDS it to function.  If someone drinks 3 beers a week but can't function without those three beers a week and someone else drinks 3 beers a day but functions perfectly normal if they don't drink them, Which one is the addict? 

The same can be applied to MMO's.  Lets say that the Federal Dept of MMO Addiction says that if you play MMO's for more then 6 hours a week then you are a addict.  Well, what if I only play 3 hours a week April through sept, but then when the cold months roll around and there isn't anything to do outside I play 10 hours a week.  Do I go from not being a addict to being a addict?  That doesn't make any sense.

What if I travel for work and spend a lot of time sitting around in airports waiting on flights and layovers and such.  Maybe I play a MMO's while I am stuck in the airport because there isn't much to do.  If that person plays 20 hours a week are they a addict?  No, they are just sitting around in a airport bored.

I think you can see my point.  Addiction is based off need, not amount.

• TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513
    Originally posted by kjemper

I, like many of my generation, have been raised on computer games.  I have been playing video games since the Commodore64 when I was still in diapers and MMOs since I was a young teenager with Ultima Online.  All of these blanket statements about those who play too many video games turn out to be suicidal lunatics is just that, a blanket statement.  It is nothing but a theory that people like myself prove very untrue. 
    I play games 30-50 hours a week, what people like you consider being an addictive nature.  Should you know me, you’d know that I am far from unhealthy physically and mentally.  
    I hold a >3.5 GPA and I am in my junior year of college attempting a double major, and succeeding by taking over a full load of classes each semester.  (including summer).
    I also have been very happily married for 5 years this July to a supportive wife that has never once criticized or complained about my gaming. (She's never had a reason to) 
    I usually exercise by jogging, riding a bike, or getting on my own treadmill for 1/2 an hour to 1 hr at least every other day.  My favorite vacation is hiking or biking in several miles to remote locations in the Gifford Pinchot National forest to go camping with my wife on weekends.
    I have several friends most of which I have met through gaming.  Twice a year, after Christmas and during Memorial Day, most of us gather for a large LAN party.  People fly or drive from Canada and as far as Texas to Portland, OR to get together and enjoy ourselves.  Some of these folks I've known for 12 years (met in middle school) and the only reason we've kept in contact is because of our networks we've formed through gaming.
    These statements that you have made are nothing but blanket statements and several people know that.  I've written several papers on such statements with the sole purpose to debunk them as unfounded theories.  This is no different than those who claimed rock and roll turned people suicidal and thus mentally unstable.  I'm not sure what your reasons are for making this post, but perhaps you should think through things a little more. 
    I am not a rare case.  I am an average hardcore gamer who simply enjoys his hobby of gaming.
    I literally cannot see how it is at all possible for you to play 30-50 hours of WoW a week, work 15-20 hours of an internship, hike on weekends with your wife, go to school full time, and work out all in the same time frame. Something in your life has to fall to the sidelines in order to facilitate that amount of time spent gaming. You are talking about atleast 4-5 hours a day EVERYDAY of the week spent gaming. It is likely that you maybe mis represented the amount of time you actually spend gaming. I'm not here to say you are a liar or anything I just don't see how it is at all possible to fit all that into a week.
    Originally posted by Rollotamasi 

[...] What really makes the difference (And in my oppinion makes a addict) is if someone NEEDS it to function.  [...]

Bingo, QFT

That is an addiction and usually occurs chemically.  Last I checked people could not become chemically enslaved to a computer.

No, those who do lose themselves in video games, or television for that matter, usually had a problem before ever starting their habits.  It is that problem that they are trying to escape through any means they can.  Cutting themselves, gaming, drinking, drugs, TV, reading books, etc... (yes, there are those who do nothing but read fantsy books to lose themselves)  These people will use any outlet at their disposal to "escape" their issues instead of face them and solve them.  Some of these habits can turn into addictions, such as drugs and drinking, and then in turn complicate even further their problems. 

Mind you that this does not account for everyone who plays all day everyday and does not socialize with a sole outside of their game(s).  All it does is attempt to explain that gaming in and of itself is not an addiction.  It is an outlet for somepeople to escape other issues they would rather not deal with.  Is it unhealthy? Yes, but even if they didn't play video games they would lose themselves in something else instead. 

Originally posted by TedDanson

I literally cannot see how it is at all possible for you to play 30-50 hours of WoW a week, work 15-20 hours of an internship, hike on weekends with your wife, go to school full time, and work out all in the same time frame. Something in your life has to fall to the sidelines in order to facilitate that amount of time spent gaming. You are talking about atleast 4-5 hours a day EVERYDAY of the week spent gaming. It is likely that you maybe mis represented the amount of time you actually spend gaming. I'm not here to say you are a liar or anything I just don't see how it is at all possible to fit all that into a week.

Why is it so hard to believe?  Tell you one thing, I don't have a TV.  I haven't watched a television program in I don't know how long.  I simply spend my time differently from the average individual.  Alot of people spend the time I do gaming (an easy 4-5 hours a day) watching television in their evenings.

To be fair though, I have a dual monitor setup which I will be playing EVE and mining on a screen to my side while doing homework, studying, reading forums, etc...  on a large 24" widescreen in front of me.  It doesn't take much effort to multi-task.    If I didn't, I would fall asleep on my text book on those days I spend studying 5 hours straight for a test the following morning!

Oh, and don't get me wrong.  I don't go camping every weeking.  It is simply my favorite way to go vacationing!  I also DO NOT play WoW.  I droped that game like a rock after one last attempt at it after the release of the expansion.  It became too boring too fast for those like myself who play often.  The only MMOs I usually can truly enjoy for any period of time over two months is sand box games like UO, SWG (Pre-NGE), and EVE.

• Sevas88Sevas88 Member Posts: 83
    Who's more sad, the person who plays an MMO all day or the person who takes time outta their day to bitch about OTHER people playing video. Not even people you know, people you'll never meet.

I applaud you.
  • andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

LOL!  Exactly, great post.

My thoughts to a T as I was reading this on my lunch break.....from work.

• TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513

Why is it so hard to believe?  Tell you one thing, I don't have a TV.  I haven't watched a television program in I don't know how long.  I simply spend my time differently from the average individual.  Alot of people spend the time I do gaming (an easy 4-5 hours a day) watching television in their evenings.

To be fair though, I have a dual monitor setup which I will be playing EVE and mining on a screen to my side while doing homework, studying, reading forums, etc...  on a large 24" widescreen in front of me.  It doesn't take much effort to multi-task.    If I didn't, I would fall asleep on my text book on those days I spend studying 5 hours straight for a test the following morning!

Oh, and don't get me wrong.  I don't go camping every weeking.  It is simply my favorite way to go vacationing!  I also DO NOT play WoW.  I droped that game like a rock after one last attempt at it after the release of the expansion.  It became too boring too fast for those like myself who play often.  The only MMOs I usually can truly enjoy for any period of time over two months is sand box games like UO, SWG (Pre-NGE), and EVE.

Well now, THAT makes a bit more sense. Of course I don't think any less of anyone for choosing to spend their free time enjoying video games, especially MMO's. I just personally don't have the time to spend playing games for those extended periods. I get a bit stir crazy while playing games, if I play too long I freak out. So instead I play really casually, and enjoy my time when I do play. The rest of the time I am working, or out with friends.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

To be fair though, I have a dual monitor setup which I will be playing EVE and mining on a screen to my side while doing homework, studying, reading forums, etc...  on a large 24" widescreen in front of me.

Ah...that explains the 30-50 hours.... you play EvE..which is about 10 hours of actual gaming, and 40 or 50 hours sitting around waiting to make your jumps or your cargo hold to fill.    Plenty of time for studying and other activities......

(and yes, I play EvE too... while I work from home, watch TV with my wife, and even catch up on my forum posting)

Oh heck, what was the OP talking about? I couldn't tell really,some sort of rant about people playing too many games or something.... he's crazy from playing too much WOW I think.....  

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Total agreement here. I think this is serious exaggeration. Not calling him a liar, but I do not believe him.

I am a 3d Artist (www.spankybus.com) it take sup 12 hours a day on average. Between my wife and kid, work, and sleep, there is no way I'd have an addition 30-50 hours a week for anything. It's physically impossible. unless you aren't sleeping, then we need to talk about your Meth problem. If all of this is true, and you do have a 3.5 GPA, what is your major, underwater fire safety? Have you found a wormhole that lets you get more then 24 hours in a day?

Yes, I agree it's possible to get some game time in and have a HEALTHY life, but not 30-50 hours worth, EVE or no.. If you are banging away at a game that much, something else is suffering...there simply isn't enough hours in a day, mate

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

Simply because you (Spanky) are not capable of managing your time in such a way that allows you to do what I do, does not mean it is impossible or over exagerated.  My majors are business admin and marketing.  Alot of those classes are shared as I am sure you can guess.  Before I started my intership I used Xfire to track how many hours a week I actually spent with computer games running.  At the time it was WoW and in the month I tracked it I was constantly between 70-80 hours a week.  I've lightened it up a bit since then obviously, but it is possible regardless of whether or not you can do it. 

Some things that help me. 

• Dual monitors (I am hardly ever "just" gaming)
    • Short transit times between Intern, school, and home (15 mins between each)
    • No kids and a non-nagging wife
    • No TV -- perhaps the biggest factor
    • I am never sitting not doing anything.  I always have to be doing several things at once or I become bored easily.

If you desire a more quantitative explination.  I only sleep at most 7 hours and usually 6 and set an alarm to make sure of it.  If ever I sleep more than 7 hours I hate myself for it and feel as though I've wasted time in doing so.  Saying that I sleep in for a whole week (7 hours) I have approx 120 hours awake.  I am a morning person and take no time to get going.  It drives my wife crazy at times.  

During a week where I spend

• 50 hours playing games,  (at 30-50 a week)
    • 10 (this is an over exageration) hours in transit,  (at 8-10 a week)
    • 20 hours at my internship, (15-20, Iset my schedule)
    • 14 hours (2 a day) tending to hygenic needs, (may be exagerated, but keep it as is)
    • 1 hour shopping for food (if that, I hate shopping and the wife usually does it),
    • and 5 hours cleaning house (I usually do it since I am a perfectionist)
    • My classes are twice a week at one hour meetings per class.  I usually take 6 at a time during fall and spring.  So that is 12 hours of class time.

I am still left with 8 hours for other miscillanious things.  This is if I were to spend the most time possible at my internship, sleeping, transit, and playing games.  With more realistic times and all important factors not maxed out I easily add up to 32 hours (-20 gaming, -2 on trainsit, -5 sleeping, -5 at intern) on to that 8, so 8 - 40 hours a week to figure out what to do with myselfin addition to the activities I regularly do.  Remember that I also do things such as bills, study, forum browsing, cleaning, reading, etc... all while playing games because I simply have to multi-task.

I am sorry you can't seem to manage your time, but others can.  Some people don't realize how much time they waste doing nothing or over sleeping!

People also say that the fact I've only had a motorcycle to get around on is impossible since I live in the rainy NW and am married.  Well, believe what they may, it is all my wife and I have had to share as transportation for our entire marriage of nearly 5 years.  Grocery shopping is especially interesting.  Again, simply because one cannot see how they could accomplish something does not make it impossible or over exagerated.

• paul0016paul0016 Member Posts: 39
    Here is a thought to the OP, you can go out to the pub or whatever it is you think is really 'living'  im off to raid Gruuls Lair
  • DrakrtarDrakrtar Member Posts: 23

Simply because you (Spanky) are not capable of managing your time in such a way that allows you to do what I do, does not mean it is impossible or over exagerated.  My majors are business admin and marketing.  Alot of those classes are shared as I am sure you can guess.  Before I started my intership I used Xfire to track how many hours a week I actually spent with computer games running.  At the time it was WoW and in the month I tracked it I was constantly between 70-80 hours a week.  I've lightened it up a bit since then obviously, but it is possible regardless of whether or not you can do it. 
    Some things that help me. 

Dual monitors (I am hardly ever "just" gaming)
    Short transit times between Intern, school, and home (15 mins between each)
    No kids and a non-nagging wife
    No TV -- perhaps the biggest factor
    I am never sitting not doing anything.  I always have to be doing several things at once or I become bored easily.

If you desire a more quantitative explination.  I only sleep at most 7 hours and usually 6 and set an alarm to make sure of it.  If ever I sleep more than 7 hours I hate myself for it and feel as though I've wasted time in doing so.  Saying that I sleep in for a whole week (7 hours) I have approx 120 hours awake.  I am a morning person and take no time to get going.  It drives my wife crazy at times.  
    During a week where I spend

50 hours playing games,  (at 30-50 a week)
    10 (this is an over exageration) hours in transit,  (at 8-10 a week)
    20 hours at my internship, (15-20, Iset my schedule)
    14 hours (2 a day) tending to hygenic needs, (may be exagerated, but keep it as is)
    1 hour shopping for food (if that, I hate shopping and the wife usually does it),
    and 5 hours cleaning house (I usually do it since I am a perfectionist)
    My classes are twice a week at one hour meetings per class.  I usually take 6 at a time during fall and spring.  So that is 12 hours of class time.

I am still left with 8 hours for other miscillanious things.  This is if I were to spend the most time possible at my internship, sleeping, transit, and playing games.  With more realistic times and all important factors not maxed out I easily add up to 32 hours (-20 gaming, -2 on trainsit, -5 sleeping, -5 at intern) on to that 8, so 8 - 40 hours a week to figure out what to do with myselfin addition to the activities I regularly do.  Remember that I also do things such as bills, study, forum browsing, cleaning, reading, etc... all while playing games because I simply have to multi-task.
    I am sorry you can't seem to manage your time, but others can.  Some people don't realize how much time they waste doing nothing or over sleeping!
    People also say that the fact I've only had a motorcycle to get around on is impossible since I live in the rainy NW and am married.  Well, believe what they may, it is all my wife and I have had to share as transportation for our entire marriage of nearly 5 years.  Grocery shopping is especially interesting.  Again, simply because one cannot see how they could accomplish something does not make it impossible or over exagerated.
    Isn't 6 hours sleep a little unhealthy? Unless they have changed it (which may have easily done) isn't 8 hours recommended for an adult if not more? It seems you have some very good time management skills and have looked into this quite a bit so i figured i'd ask.

Oh and also wouldn't class time be 24 hours of class time if you have 6 classes that meet "twice a week" at an hour per class? So with all things left full you would be at what?  -16 hours free time? :D Don't get me wrong not saying i don't believe you, just takes one hell of a disciplined person to put forward that kind of effort i just need to get over being lazy lol.

Games Playing: Eve Online
    Games Played: Name an MMO yup most likely! :D

• NatoBNatoB Member Posts: 114
    First off Mr Holier-than-thou OP, the "lifers" who you feel you have to enlighten do not come to this site, you just wasted time and effort with your post, if you think you educating the public - too late son, many people have itterated this topic before.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy

I found it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh Well
    Whatever
    Nevermind

• DubazDubaz Member Posts: 112

says the lvl 70 Paladin /gg

But to touch the OP's point, I admit it's tough for me to let go once I'm sitting behind my PC. As long as I don't go near it, I'm fine, but every other game and even my programming classes seem of reduced importance once I turn on my monitor.

However, I still do it, however much mental pain it inflicts ;)

• DubazDubaz Member Posts: 112

It wasn't about him being lvl 70, the emphasys was on Paladin paired with his comments.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Nice trolling sir!

You make one post and then people spend three pages debating the point. You don't even have to come back and fan the flames.

Just one question: what sort of life does a person have if he wastes it on trolling a game he hates, rather than on things he loves?
  • YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Rollotamasi

You're preaching to the probably 3 percent minority of players that wouldn't listen to you anyway.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I am safe then.

I spent all my energies in another MMO! 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

Original poster is right, some people will play the game excessively, I've been there, done that and it isn't fun. In part, controversially I would cite the design of mmorpgs as a factor why some people are getting so badly hooked. It can be very addictive and tempting just to finish that quest, or quickly do a group(which could take 3 hours) or quickly do a battleground. It all adds up and you can lose a lot of time.