Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samurai / Shogun Style MMO

Has anyone seen anything about a Samurai / Shogun style MMO?  I'm getting fairly tired of the midevil style MMOs and so far the Sci-fi genre hasn't blown my skirt up.  Am I the only one who thinks a historical based MMO might be cool?

Comments

• There are ideas for one,and there is a Samurai/Shogun game called Nobunaga's Ambition Online, but it isn't in English yet. (if ever)
  • defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578
    Nobunaga's Ambition would make a sweet ass online game. Except when a huge guild filled with hundreds of people takes over all of China, then we'd all be slaves and outlaws
  • RinicRinic Member Posts: 715
    Hmm.

Okay, now that I've made my generic asian looking guy..

Do I want to be a warrior, or an archer?

Not much room for class choices.
  • IndemnityIndemnity Member Posts: 16
    The ninja was invented in Japan, now there are 3 choices. :D 
  • johnnychangsjohnnychangs Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I posted this in another thread about two weeks ago:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1404009#1404009

I'd love to see a Japanese Martial Arts style MMO, a la the James Clavell novels (Shogun, etc).  One thing that would be crucial would be swordplay and crafting.  It wouldn't even have to take place on Earth.  Some mix of Sci-Fi/Samurai/Ninja would work just as well.

As far as the combat goes, I think that the devs at Funcom have a great idea with the combat for AoC.  I could see some really intense sword fights with a similar system.  We've had enough of the button mashing and skill queueing in MMOs.  Bring some skill back to the genre, while adding a fun factor of some of the old fighting games.  Some possible classes or fighting styles would include:

Judo       "the gentle way"

Karate    "the way of the empty hand"

Kendo     "the way of the sword"

Kyudo     "the way of the bow"

Aikido     "the way of harmony of the spirit"

Sumo      Sumo wrestling

Samurai    Japanese warrior

The crafting and resource gathering system would need to be fairly extensive.  I think one of the things SWG did right was the resource surveying/harvesting.  Using a similar system to build and hire resource camps or structures would be ideal.  Crafting would take the art of Japanese Swordsmiths for an example.  Skill, customization and appearance is crucial.  Crafting in other games is too simple (WoW) or tedious (Vanguard).  Striking some middleground while allowing players to add their own personal touch to every item.  In other words...making crafting fun is key.

I think a game like this would be a great MMO.  It would be a big attraction, since most people have a great interest in Martial Arts and Japanese culture/history.  The potential playerbase worldwide could be huge.
  • RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600

I believe Webzen is developing a game based on the the three kingdom era. Should be interesting if they brought it to the west after their done. Its called Kingdom of warriors.

I would live a game based on the warring states era in japan and china. Both have a lot of myth and fact to make a rich story line and game. I just wish someone with 2 braincells and money would take up such a project and brnig it to the west as well. The architectural design of hidden mountain temples, bamboo forests, deserts, icy mountains, sea faring etc. There is a of locales to use. We have shinto/buddism,confucianism, taoism ideals and myth to enhance the game as whole.

I see the crafting system set up so that you have two characters.  One is the samurai who does all the fighting and the other is the samurai's assistant who follows him around and does all of his cooking, cleaning, and crafting. :D  The assistant is of course controlled by you but as you get higher in wealth and prestige you could get another assistant and pick up another profession or two.

I also like the idea of choosing a class by choosing a dojo or house to align yourself with.  After you've picked up all you can from your current house you can go out and start your own.  Much like how they do supergroups and bases in CoH.

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844
    legend of mir is a little samurai'ish not really but a little lol
    Originally posted by Rinic

Hmm.

Okay, now that I've made my generic asian looking guy..

Do I want to be a warrior, or an archer?

Not much room for class choices.

I've been thinking about this all day and I think I came up with some decent options.

-a dark magic class that could bring forth ancestrial spirits to dps and curse targets, it can restore a players spirit in battle if they have fallen

-a healer that works with herbs, bandages, incenses, and has healing spells with laterns

-a pure dps class based on the taming of dragons that use the old world basic elements (fire, earth, water, or air) for powers

-a ninja class that is basically just dps

-and of course a warrior class

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by johnnychangs

I posted this in another thread about two weeks ago:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1404009#1404009

I'd love to see a Japanese Martial Arts style MMO, a la the James Clavell novels (Shogun, etc).  One thing that would be crucial would be swordplay and crafting.  It wouldn't even have to take place on Earth.  Some mix of Sci-Fi/Samurai/Ninja would work just as well.

As far as the combat goes, I think that the devs at Funcom have a great idea with the combat for AoC.  I could see some really intense sword fights with a similar system.  We've had enough of the button mashing and skill queueing in MMOs.  Bring some skill back to the genre, while adding a fun factor of some of the old fighting games.  Some possible classes or fighting styles would include:

Judo       "the gentle way"

Karate    "the way of the empty hand"

Kendo     "the way of the sword"

Kyudo     "the way of the bow"

Aikido     "the way of harmony of the spirit"

Sumo      Sumo wrestling

Samurai    Japanese warrior

The crafting and resource gathering system would need to be fairly extensive.  I think one of the things SWG did right was the resource surveying/harvesting.  Using a similar system to build and hire resource camps or structures would be ideal.  Crafting would take the art of Japanese Swordsmiths for an example.  Skill, customization and appearance is crucial.  Crafting in other games is too simple (WoW) or tedious (Vanguard).  Striking some middleground while allowing players to add their own personal touch to every item.  In other words...making crafting fun is key.

I think a game like this would be a great MMO.  It would be a big attraction, since most people have a great interest in Martial Arts and Japanese culture/history.  The potential playerbase worldwide could be huge.
    That would rock.  I'd be WTB.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339

There is so many out there already, they're just all so bad.