Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Average" gaming rig

RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
Just wondering, what do you folks think the specs of the average gaming rig is.  Nothing uber high end or a piece of crap.  Just the average rig.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

Comments

• sctt888sctt888 Member Posts: 128
    I have a ATI radeon 9550 256 ram, 3.0 pent 4 PC with 1 gig of ram.
  • LadyRenoLadyReno Member Posts: 218
    have a 3.4 duel core, 2 gigs of ram and a x1950 pro video card
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Mine is pretty average. P4 3.0, Nvidia 7600GS 512mb, 2gb ram,SB Audigy 2.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• abistarabistar Member UncommonPosts: 92
    P4 3.2 ghz

2 gig ram

Geforce 7800 GS OC {256 mb}
  • AmalaricAmalaric Member Posts: 480

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz

2GB system RAM

ATi Radeon X1950 XT 256MB

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I think a good, average gaming now days could have some really decent hardware for a really good price.

Intel Duo Core 6420 is a great proc and OCs really well, 680i Mobos are comming down in price every day, a good 8500 based Vidy card is cheap has lots of g-bandwith, 2 Gigs of ram is really cheap to get these days, a decent case, power supply and a good sized harddrive. Put it all together yourself to save an labour and silly over changes and you're set to play quite a bit of games out there.

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Always found the valve hardware survey to be quite interesting to see what systems people have : http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html
  • DerricoDerrico Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by LadyReno

You should get a 8800, that would boost your performance, and what processor do you have? It must be overclocked

-E6300 (core2duo1.8ghz) OCd to 3.2 GHZ

-2 gigs of ram

- 8800GTX

-CM stacker case

-corsair 700w PSU

cost me 1500ish w/o speakers, keyboard etc

Waiting On:
    Age of Conan

Retired:
    AC - DT refugee - L173 UA
    AC2 - L50 Lugian Elementalist
    WoW - L60 gnome Warlock
    V:SoH - 50 rakki Ranger

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    2.2ghz Dual core, 7800 GTX, 2gig ram, SATA HDD

---

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Got

500wPS, intel p965,core2duo(2.14ghz)6400, geforce 8800gts 640mb, 2x160gb HD raid 0, dvd-r/rw, thermaltake case, 1gb corsiar xms ddr2(6400) ram. 

For 1500 roughly and most of this stuff im pricing what it cost when i got it couple years back the HD's and Case.

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by Ex0dUs101

Always found the valve hardware survey to be quite interesting to see what systems people have : http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Yup, that's the best place to check.

It amazes me how so many people consider their computers average before viewing these results.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• DerricoDerrico Member Posts: 42
    I hope everyone realizes that core 2 duo and core duo are completely different and that core duo doesn't have 2 cpus, like core 2 duo

Waiting On:
    Age of Conan

Retired:
    AC - DT refugee - L173 UA
    AC2 - L50 Lugian Elementalist
    WoW - L60 gnome Warlock
    V:SoH - 50 rakki Ranger

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Video card 2 generations old, sometimes onboard.

2.0 ghz~2.4 ghz single core processor.

512 MB-1GB ram

250 GB HD

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

My computer:

Athlon 64 3200+,  2gig DDR 400, SCSI Ultra 320 RAID/0, nVidia 6800, Audigy 2 Zs

My gaming rig:

Xbox 360 on a 42inch Plasma 1080i with Klipsch THX surround

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

Originally posted by Derrico

Originally posted by LadyReno

You should get a 8800, that would boost your performance, and what processor do you have? It must be overclocked

-E6300 (core2duo1.8ghz) OCd to 3.2 GHZ

-2 gigs of ram

- 8800GTX

-CM stacker case

-corsair 700w PSU

cost me 1500ish w/o speakers, keyboard etc

Have no idea even were to find  if it is overclocked or not lol.  Mother board is a msi, processor is a intel.   I've thought about getting the 8800 but saving for a wide screen moditor first, have a 19' flat right now.  After that we'll see.
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Lady Reno.  You don't have to upgrade your computer right now at all.  Probably not for another year or 2 will you have to replace any parts.  Most games are made for the lowest common denominator, so the high-end usually takes a hit unless your playing one of the few high end titles released yearly.  3.4 ghz dual core is more then enough to handle any thing.  If you switch to an e6300 you will actually only slow down your system then what it was previously, even with an overclock.  Upgrading to the 8800 from the X1950 is negligible performance upgrade primarily because of the DX10 architecture.  I highly suggest you wait atleast a year before doing any upgrades to save on the pocket book.  Also in another year the technology will be alot better with quad core and the kinks worked out of DX10 card drivers with a whole new generation.  Personally, thats what I am doing.  I am waiting for AMDs Phenon processors to release then splurge on a new system utilizing the Thermaltake Mozart Case with all the cash I have been holding on to for over a year.

BTW there is an overclocking guide for the e6300 at Tom's Hardware.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Here's the thing. Any machine that plays Vanguard: Saga of Heroes decently.... is NOT an average gaming rig. Any machine that has a Geforce 8800... is NOT an average gaming rig. In my opinion... the a average gaming rig is something around $799 at Dell and maybe $200  a video card. I wouldn't expect an average machine to cost more than $1000.

Originally posted by CleffyII

Lady Reno.  You don't have to upgrade your computer right now at all.  Probably not for another year or 2 will you have to replace any parts.  Most games are made for the lowest common denominator, so the high-end usually takes a hit unless your playing one of the few high end titles released yearly.  3.4 ghz dual core is more then enough to handle any thing.  If you switch to an e6300 you will actually only slow down your system then what it was previously, even with an overclock.  Upgrading to the 8800 from the X1950 is negligible performance upgrade primarily because of the DX10 architecture.  I highly suggest you wait atleast a year before doing any upgrades to save on the pocket book.  Also in another year the technology will be alot better with quad core and the kinks worked out of DX10 card drivers with a whole new generation.  Personally, thats what I am doing.  I am waiting for AMDs Phenon processors to release then splurge on a new system utilizing the Thermaltake Mozart Case with all the cash I have been holding on to for over a year.
    BTW there is an overclocking guide for the e6300 at Tom's Hardware.
    Thanks for the advise kind of what I was doing.  Heh also still on xp home.  So figured this was a good year to get the wide screen moditor. 
  • paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    1 gig RAM, 2.4 ghz processor, and 512 MB VRAM.

and some nice bus speeds.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483
    Almost same here - 1 GIG RAM, AMD 3700+ (2.2 Ghz but I've heard performance is actually closer to the 3.0 Ghz Pentiums),  and an Nvidia 7800 GT.  My rig wasn't super-expensive, but it still allows me to play most of today's games at top or acceptable level of performance.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

My computer:
    Athlon 64 3200+,  2gig DDR 400, SCSI Ultra 320 RAID/0, nVidia 6800, Audigy 2 Zs
    My gaming rig:
    Xbox 360 on a 42inch Plasma 1080i with Klipsch THX surround
    I think Rayx0r has an average gaming rig or there abouts for your average gamer.
  • HadesPvPHadesPvP Member Posts: 33
    I am also trying to put together a decent gaming computer. Nothing over the top, just good enough to run the new MMO's coming out like AoC and Warhammer. I currently have an HP but I have heard that Dells are pretty good? I guess 2 gigs of RAM is good and Intel duo core. What's decent for hard drive speed?