Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Havent given up yet, looking for folks on Brandywine

I continue to read stuff from Turbine and find myself agreeing. These guys deserve my patience and my money. Anyway, im a lvl 14 loremaster, currently struggling along around the Bree area. If anyone else is looking to group, can help out, offer advice, or even have a decent kinship looking for more drop me a line in-game.

Im on now, toon name is Plaguess

Comments

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    The LoTRO community here isn't all that big.  A way more useful place to post something like this would be the forum for Brandywine at the official site:

forums.lotro.com/forumdisplay.php

Best of luck!

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• warrorwarror Member Posts: 270

Things should get alittle easier for you now that you can summon the bear. Can't help you because I am on a different server.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Loremasters are tough to play, they have paper armor and are borderline broken as a class in my opinion. They take a special play style.  I just took one to 20 and probably died more than I did taking my Minstrel to 32. I can solo yellows all day now with no problem but it takes the patience of a saint. You have to learn to kite, and get darn good at it. Once you have that mastered kiting and picking your fights the LM is one tough SOB , Here is a link to a guy who solos elites with his LM forums.lotro.com/showthread.php

Right now I would have to say LM's are pretty much broken however. They are not popular in groups, they are hard to solo well, they are gimped against undead They are getting love according to a recent Dev interview but it won't be in the next patch. My best advice is to shelve that LM for now and try a hunter or a minstrel if you like casters and let Turbine try and fix the LM . I am on Silverlode or I would be happy to demo my kiting techniques for you. Did you ever do a lot of FPS's ? If so think circle strafe and ping pong the aggro with the pet.

I miss DAoC

• nemo38nemo38 Member Posts: 143
    I don't like loremasters. and that guy who soloed the elite was lucky enough to be in an area where he can run and not aggro anything else. Plus he used some kind of heal half way through the fight, I gave up on my LM at 15. does he get a self heal like that at a highter lvl? Or was that just a healing draught?
  • ayanelayanel Member Posts: 150

Hi,

My only character is a lv 30 lore master which I absolutely love.  I think the lore master is more play style dependant than any other class in the game, and probably more so than most other classes in most MMOs.  The reason I bring that up is because the advice I am going to give fits my play style but may not fit yours.

I use the raven exclusively.  The reason for this is that before traits it has the same survivability and damage as the bear and attacks much faster.  The more often your pet attacks the more often it procs “flanked” and that is hugely important.  I also like its buffs and debuffs better than the bears special abilities.

I keep it buffed with Sign of Rage at all times. (Which you may not have yet, I forget when we get this ability.)  This increases your pet’s attack speed which in turn gives you more flanked procs.

I do not use my pet to tank.  I often have it take the initial hit for me but in any hard fight (orange or above normal enemies or elites anywhere near my level) I make a point to pull agro off of it asap.  That being said the raven distract ability (which I *think* it gets when you hit 20) generates stupid amounts of hate, so it can pull agro reasonably well if you want.

Swing your staff.  Unlike nearly all other caster classes melee damage remains a significant portion of your damage throughout the entire game.  I would guesstimate that around 25% of my damage output is from the staff.

On a related note get and equip improved staff strike asap.

Learn to recognize and use the flanked mechanic.  In every hard fight I have been in it has made *the* difference between victory and defeat.  Against easy opponents I tend to save my staff strikes for when flanked is up (only relevant if you have the improved staff strike trait) but in hard battles I spam my staff strike every time it comes up and use Sign of Wizardy whenever flanked is up.  (For the self heal.)

I never kite.  I hate kiting and feel it does nothing but reduce my effectiveness.

Load up on vitality and +moral traits and items.  At least for now it is by far the best attribute for us, that *may* change at the next update when it looks like fate will be reworked.  Still there is no such thing as to much moral.

Debuff, debuff, debuff.  Against elites drain power is the best debuff there is. 

Finally the most important thing about playing a lore master is to remain flexible and adapt to the situation.  Every one of our abilities is situational so the key is to figure out how to apply them.  If you try and use the same strategy every fight you will lose a lot.

• ayanelayanel Member Posts: 150
    Originally posted by nemo38

I don't like loremasters. and that guy who soloed the elite was lucky enough to be in an area where he can run and not aggro anything else. Plus he used some kind of heal half way through the fight, I gave up on my LM at 15. does he get a self heal like that at a highter lvl? Or was that just a healing draught?

At 30 I have three self heals (four if you count healing potions).  Like everything else each is situational but if you learn how and when to use them they are very powerful.

First is Sign of Power: Wizardry.  It only heals when flanked is up but with the raven that is fairly often especially on a long fight such as against an elite.

Second is Inner Flame.  It is a channeled heal over time on a five minute so it is not useful if you are getting hit but against a lone opponent you can use blinding flash to mez them and have plenty of time to heal.  Or you can try and get it attacking your pet and heal then.

The third is Wisdom of the Council.  This is a near 100% instant self heal on a 10 minute timer.  It also produces a buff which lasts a minute that has a chance to damage and stun anyone that hits you.  This is our true emergency heal.

With my play style Sigh of Power: Wizardry provides the bulk of the self healing and it is not unusual in a difficult (a.k.a. long) fight for me to heal 900+ moral through it.  Inner Flame, Wisdom of the Council, and healing potions all serve as back-up heals.

Originally posted by ayanel

Hi,
    My only character is a lv 30 lore master which I absolutely love.  I think the lore master is more play style dependant than any other class in the game, and probably more so than most other classes in most MMOs.  The reason I bring that up is because the advice I am going to give fits my play style but may not fit yours.
    I use the raven exclusively.  The reason for this is that before traits it has the same survivability and damage as the bear and attacks much faster.  The more often your pet attacks the more often it procs “flanked” and that is hugely important.  I also like its buffs and debuffs better than the bears special abilities.
    I keep it buffed with Sign of Rage at all times. (Which you may not have yet, I forget when we get this ability.)  This increases your pet’s attack speed which in turn gives you more flanked procs.
    I do not use my pet to tank.  I often have it take the initial hit for me but in any hard fight (orange or above normal enemies or elites anywhere near my level) I make a point to pull agro off of it asap.  That being said the raven distract ability (which I *think* it gets when you hit 20) generates stupid amounts of hate, so it can pull agro reasonably well if you want.
    Swing your staff.  Unlike nearly all other caster classes melee damage remains a significant portion of your damage throughout the entire game.  I would guesstimate that around 25% of my damage output is from the staff.
    On a related note get and equip improved staff strike asap.
    Learn to recognize and use the flanked mechanic.  In every hard fight I have been in it has made *the* difference between victory and defeat.  Against easy opponents I tend to save my staff strikes for when flanked is up (only relevant if you have the improved staff strike trait) but in hard battles I spam my staff strike every time it comes up and use Sign of Wizardy whenever flanked is up.  (For the self heal.)
    I never kite.  I hate kiting and feel it does nothing but reduce my effectiveness.
    Load up on vitality and +moral traits and items.  At least for now it is by far the best attribute for us, that *may* change at the next update when it looks like fate will be reworked.  Still there is no such thing as to much moral.
    Debuff, debuff, debuff.  Against elites drain power is the best debuff there is. 

Finally the most important thing about playing a lore master is to remain flexible and adapt to the situation.  Every one of our abilities is situational so the key is to figure out how to apply them.  If you try and use the same strategy every fight you will lose a lot.
    different strokes for different folks I guess.

I rarely use my staff anymore after getting the improved staff trait. However I do prefer the raven as you do. I run in small circles letting the raven peck away and every time it gets the aggro I pop the mob with a couple of fireballs to get the aggro back. I figure if they want me to tank for the pet and melee they would not have me in paper armor. I was handling three yellows at once like this in the middle of the goblin camp in the N Downs the other day, mezzing two while debuffing and fighting 1 at a time.

I like the LM I just  feel like the class is very hard for most people to play and you have to admit against undead and in groups they are pretty worthless right now, just a mobile battery for the Minstrel. I have to admit though I am not that good at using the flanked mechanic and only pull off a self heal in maybe 1 out of 3 fights.

I miss DAoC

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

I gave up on Loremaster for now. Ive always been a caster at heart but Ive dabbled with the rogue types before so Im giving Burgler a try.

Im up to lvl 8 so far and enjoying it. Im thinking once i get to 10 and get dual-wield plus medium armor things will be even better.

toon name is Dracule

Originally posted by admriker4

I gave up on Loremaster for now. Ive always been a caster at heart but Ive dabbled with the rogue types before so Im giving Burgler a try.
    Im up to lvl 8 so far and enjoying it. Im thinking once i get to 10 and get dual-wield plus medium armor things will be even better.
    toon name is Dracule
    back in beta 1 I rolled a LM thinking the same way you did. I really do not consider the LM much of a caster. Burglars are fun, they really come into their own with Mischevious Glea and the burgle skill. You will have both of those by lvl 14. Closest thing to a DD mana slinger in this game is the hunter, they just use a bow instead of slinging mana but the play style is the same.

I miss DAoC