Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZOMG Age of Conan just another Guild Wars

BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

Lolerskaters, I mean both games have twitch combat systems and both GW and AOC let you play musclebound warriors who hate clothing!  They're practically the same game! I also heard AOC will have instanced zones - which means the two games obviously will share the same mechanics in every way, shape, and form!

Ok, I couldn't resist this sarcasm post after reading page after page of "every game coming out in the next year is a WOW clone."

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    your sarcasm post failed because Guild Wars does not have twitch combat.
  • BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

Well in all fairness, the WAR versus WOW threads draw equally broad parallels when it comes to comparing the two game's combat systems.

And in many ways GW is a twitch game - not necessarily a FPS but a twitch game nonetheless. You must not only learn to dodge shots or spells but also to precisely time when to cause a damage spike, interrupt an enemy spell, cast a heal - oftentimes having to coordinate precise to the second attacks with your entire team.

Wikipedia defines twitch games as any in which fast tactical thinking and reflexes are required for victory, and lists both Doom and Tetris as examples of classic twitch games. By that definition,  both GW and from what I've read AOC could be considered twitch games.

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    Originally posted by BattleFelon

Well in all fairness, the WAR versus WOW threads draw equally broad parallels when it comes to comparing the two game's combat systems.
    And in many ways GW is a twitch game - not necessarily a FPS but a twitch game nonetheless. You must not only learn to dodge shots or spells but also to precisely time when to cause a damage spike, interrupt an enemy spell, cast a heal - oftentimes having to coordinate precise to the second attacks with your entire team.
    Wikipedia defines twitch games as any in which fast tactical thinking and reflexes are required for victory, and lists both Doom and Tetris as examples of classic twitch games. By that definition,  both GW and from what I've read AOC could be considered twitch games.

If we go by that you could find a way to define most MMORPGs as having a "twitch" combat system. Guild Wars is more tactical then most but it's just another auto-attack experience.

• InfernalSoulInfernalSoul Member Posts: 35
    Ok, I couldn't resist this sarcasm post after reading page after page of "every game coming out in the next year is a WOW clone."
    waste of time/space.

Originally posted by InfernalSoul

waste of time/space.

Which is exactly my point about the threads calling WAR, LOTRO, etc WOW clones.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

PostCount++

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    musclebound warriors that hate clothes (i assume you mean armor)

http://guildwars.gameamp.com/ampgw/viewGwArmor/0.php!class=4

that is every single armor the Warrior can have in Guild Wars...

there are only 2 sets that show skin and its the gladiator armor and its elite form. the rest are armoured to their teeth.

twitched attacks? humm i could just couble click on an enemy and my ranger will shoot arrows untill he dies or i die... thats not really twitch

tnough said.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    I have to admit, I agree with everyone else. You need to learn what "Twitch" combat really is.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• DruNk_DwArF2DruNk_DwArF2 Member UncommonPosts: 196

Lolerskaters, I mean both games have twitch combat systems and both GW and AOC let you play musclebound warriors who hate clothing!  They're practically the same game! I also heard AOC will have instanced zones - which means the two games obviously will share the same mechanics in every way, shape, and form!
    Just made me puke IRL...No way shape or form does AOC resemble GW..Please i beg you look at some videos on youtube or any other video website..Then come back and repost

MMORPG's Under my belt:UO,EQ1,EQ2,SWG,L2,COH,COV,WoW,AC2,Shadowbane,DAOC,FFXI,GW,D&D,V:SOH,LOTR:O

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723
    Nothing like displaying your complete ignorance of both games for the world to see.

Obviously I have failed my humor roll for the night - this entire post was completely meant to be a joke poking fun at the WOW fans who see every game as a thinly veiled clone of their uber master game.  Of course I don't think GW and AOC are similar games at all - that's the whole point. 

I apologize for my John Kerry moment (my stupid joke being taken as personal insult and "reason to puke IRL") and if you're still offended and are an avid GW player I will send you my character's name and a time to meet for GVG so you can kick my ass.

PS - I'm an avid GW player and have signed up for the AOC beta, which is why I joked about these games.

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

Obviously I have failed my humor roll for the night - this entire post was completely meant to be a joke poking fun at the WOW fans who see every game as a thinly veiled clone of their uber master game.  Of course I don't think GW and AOC are similar games at all - that's the whole point. 
    I apologize for my John Kerry moment (my stupid joke being taken as personal insult and "reason to puke IRL") and if you're still offended and are an avid GW player I will send you my character's name and a time to meet for GVG so you can kick my ass.
    John Kerry moment.. LMAO! 

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    And what's wrong with instance ? Funcom used instance in AO in the form of missions which is a hell of a nice feature, always guarantee content.
  • ZanetanosZanetanos Member Posts: 146

PS - I'm an avid GW player and have signed up for the AOC beta, which is why I joked about these games.
    If it makes you feel any better -- I got what you were saying. 

I also think that you make a very good point about people comparing EVERYTHING to WoW because..

1.  Everything isn't like WoW.

2.  WoW itself just took older concepts and made them more accessible and popular.
  • Xix13Xix13 Member Posts: 259
    Originally posted by Aguitha

And what's wrong with instance ? Funcom used instance in AO in the form of missions which is a hell of a nice feature, always guarantee content.
    Agree totally.  Some of us like to have a spot or two where we don't have to fight other folks for the mobs or just want a quick fix.  I love AO's missioning.  Token Boards are great too. 

-- Xix
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"

• ConleyConley Member Posts: 195

I would like to add that the OP indeed doesn't seem to understand what "twitch" combat is. He isn't the only one unfortunatly there seem to be a lot of people confused.  For the record, to make it easier lets compare it to single player games. Oblivion is a twitch based game, the action is direct and you don't press a button skill on your screen to perform a slash with your sword, you simply perform the skill by slashing with your sword (other examples are fighting games like tekken or first person shooters).

Turn based combat is basically where you press a skill (slash sword) on your screen and then after it performs the skill. That's how Neverwinter Nights, Final Fantasy, WoW, Guildwars and most RPG's (online or not work). They are indirect combat systems.

Furthermore in Oblivion (and AoC) if someone slashes their sword at you, you can deflect it at all times by putting your shield in front of the sword at the right time. In Guildwars, WoW and all other turnbased games, whether your shield will deflect the move depends on your defense stats and the stats of your shield, not on how and when you actually raise your shield.

As you can see there is a huge difference, and saying Guildwars and AoC are both twitch games is like saying a goldfish and a human are both mammals.

• ConleyConley Member Posts: 195

Ok, it was a joke, i see that now, should have read the entire thread. Oh well.

I do agree that comparing WoW and Warhammer is a bit nonsense. One is PVE oriented while the other is focused on PVP and realm versus realm gameplay and combat.