Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Developer Profile Interview With Morten Sorlie

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Our series of developer profiles from Funcom, the company behind the upcoming Age of Conan, continues today with answers from Morten Sorlie, the game's Audio Director.

MMORPG.com:
Can you remember your first video game? How often did you play, what other games had an influence on you?
Morten Sorlie:

My father always brought home his old computer from work, so my first encounter with pc's and games was on the 8088 and 8086, both with monochrome screens. I didn't play more than a few hours every week, partly because I wasn't allowed by my parents, but also because I wasn't that interested in games. I can't remember which game was the absolute first, but I do remember that GATO; a submarine war-simulator; was the first game which made a great impact on me. Later on, the Kings Quest series also had a great appeal, followed by a lot of the other Sierra-games from that era. Parallel to these early pc games, my best friend got a Commodore Vic20, and we played a lot of Jupiter Lander and Road Rash (I think it was called).

You can catch the entire interview at this link.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

Morten Sorlie:

I believe that few have time to sink deep into a lot of today's advanced and involving games. We have wives, kids, work, friends and other interests, and just as we may have time to watch an episode of "24", we like to have games as a "quick-fix". A few tunes with Guitar Hero, a quick race in Gran Turismo or a game of tennis with Nintendo Wii.

Although I share the fascination and excitement for the really huge and serious titles with the latest in graphics and technology, I want to see more of those "in-your-face"-games which everyone can understand in less than 10 minutes and one doesn't have to commit to for more than 10 minutes.

...Said the man working on a game with 25-man raids. 

Oh crap!  Here comes the army of raiding fanatics with their tier 99 epic weapons drawn!

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927
    Originally posted by raykor

Morten Sorlie:

I believe that few have time to sink deep into a lot of today's advanced and involving games. We have wives, kids, work, friends and other interests, and just as we may have time to watch an episode of "24", we like to have games as a "quick-fix". A few tunes with Guitar Hero, a quick race in Gran Turismo or a game of tennis with Nintendo Wii.
    Although I share the fascination and excitement for the really huge and serious titles with the latest in graphics and technology, I want to see more of those "in-your-face"-games which everyone can understand in less than 10 minutes and one doesn't have to commit to for more than 10 minutes.

...Said the man working on a game with 25-man raids. 
    Oh crap!  Here comes the army of raiding fanatics with their tier 99 epic weapons drawn!

I hate raids, let me be perfectly clear, I also don't think PvE loot should be nearly as good as crafted gear in PvP..

But sorry, I can't get too worked up over the game having TWENTY-FIVE (notice how much smaller that is than 40?) man raids...

So it will have them, AND?  Of course, if I get in there and raidgrinding is the place to be for uberloot I'm going to be possed as Hel, but just cause they are in there doesn't mean they are going to be as major a focus in other games, ESPECIALLY due to the EXACT THING you quoted!

Anyway, my interview on aoc-warcry was cooler!

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• ThorgarThorgar Member Posts: 2
    The answers to "The video game industry..." and "There are a lot of free MMOs..." seem to have been misplaced.
  • ClatilClatil Member Posts: 41
    raids are a huge part in most MMO's ive played, but at least in this one theres tons of other options for high end play
  • Xix13Xix13 Member Posts: 259
    Bah, fluff article.  Let's hear more about AoC and less about "What was the first videogame you ever played?". 

-- Xix
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Xix13

Bah, fluff article.  Let's hear more about AoC and less about "What was the first videogame you ever played?". 

Morten Sorlie:

We are about to add about 100 more quests to the game at just about every level. Some major quests that bring huge rewards are in the works and we've also got an entire new map in development that's twice as beautiful and twice as deadly as anything that's been seen in The Land so far.

Thats AoC info. I think its neat that we get to hear more about the developers of the game and their background. Often it gives good indication of their experience and background, likes/dislikes and how that fits in with everything.

Cool Interview.

PS. Sturmrabe, Redruum's interview was better than yours on Warcry  hhehe