Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going to buy LOTRO, do I need a CC to even start? Replies appreciated.

An aswer would be appreciated. Do I have to enter a CC number to even play the first free month? Or can you play the first month, entering a CC number if you wish to keep going?

Comments

• NevarionNevarion Member Posts: 274
    Codemasters or Turbine? For Codemasters you can play the 30 days without entering a CC number.
  • Billybob2006Billybob2006 Member Posts: 47

You need a credit card unless you get a game time card.  But if you cancel before the free month is over, your card is never charged.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785
    Ok, so CC number is needed to start playing then. I guess thats the norm now.

Thanks for the fast replies!
    Hmm no, you do get the Game Time Card with the box which equals the 30 days I mentioned aka the free month. At least for Codemasters you do not need to enter a CC number to utilize the free month.

If you download the client which won't give you the benefits of high resolution textures, as I am told, then you do not get a GTC and then you do need to enter the CC number. You're better buying the box and then you do not need to enter the CC number because you get a GTC with the box.
    Originally posted by Nevarion

Hmm no, you do get the Game Time Card with the box which equals the 30 days I mentioned aka the free month. At least for Codemasters you do not need to enter a CC number to utilize the free month.

If you download the client which won't give you the benefits of high resolution textures, as I am told, then you do not get a GTC and then you do need to enter the CC number. You're better buying the box and then you do not need to enter the CC number because you get a GTC with the box.
    Ah, I misunderstood. So basicaly, if I go buy the box right now, I can install and start playing without buying a time card or CC number?

I don't know what the difference is between Codematers and Turbine you mentioned above..
    Yes, correct. You go buy the box version from the store and will receive a GTC to play 30 days with the box. Actually you'll never need to enter a CC number if you buy GTCs.

As for the difference between Turbine and Codemasters, I do not know as I am customer of Codemasters only. I merely thought there could be a difference and that what I say is possibly only applicable for a Codemasters account. Turbine might, read might, handle it differently. I simply do not know.

If you ask why there are two companies, it is that Codemasters handles all European or non-US customers for LOTRO. You'll sign up with them and not Turbine, the developer, if you're from an European respective non-US country.

Of course you could buy a import version from an US vendor but then you do need a CC I believe as European GTC aren't the same as US GTC. Although this is a assumption.
    Ok, i'm off to buy then, guess I'll see,heh. Thanks for your help Nevarion!

BTW, I'm in Canada.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    ya once you get to the Billing page, you have a choice of either credit card or time card
  • GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Since you are in canada you will need to enter a CC when you fill out the billing in account creation. If you cancel your account before the 30 day free trail is up your CC won't be billed.

imageimage