Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeff Anderson Interview

JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/053007_jeffanderson_2.x

I like the part where he talks about future plans for the game

Jeff Anderson: Oh, it's too late, they already are. What we build is episodic content, right? We're building a pipeline, a network of programming that we provide to consumers. Anybody who's playing any of the other competitive games who aren't getting that, they should be asking why. Why are these companies just pocketing all the money and not investing in the franchise? Why are they not adding to the world that they've created? And likewise, if you don't feel your publisher is supporting you, what are you hanging out for? I think those are the things that really are becoming differentiators in the space. One of the reasons we're seeing people leaving other games like World of Warcraft is because they just don't understand what they're getting every month. They're bored with the product. And boredom means that there's nothing more for you to do.

One of my favorite questions I get asked is, "What's the end-game in Lord of the Rings?" When you play an MMORPG today, the normal answer is that, well, when you get to level 50, 60, 70, you just have to wait around for the next few years for something new. And they say, "Oh wait, play this raid a hundred times and you'll be satisfied." Right? Like, "What? That's an end-game?" We've got lots of what you would call classic end-game behaviors, whether it's going to be PvP in the Ettenmoors, or raid experiences like Helegrod. We've got those mechanics and the epic loot sets to collect. Sure, we've got those mechanics--but we think the concept of the end-game really misses the point. What that phrase means is that the company has given up on making content for it. You know, why is there an end? And I think that the more I get asked that question, the more I try to spread the news about how I think it really misrepresents what the concept of being an online product is. There are two kinds of strengths [to online games]: One, obviously we play with other players online, and that's a huge incentive, so that I can be with other people. But the other one is that it's a distribution vehicle. It's not only a communication vehicle, it's a distribution vehicle. Where is the content? And so that's what we make sure, is that part of our end game is that there is no end game. [Laughs] You know, you've got another three months worth of new content this month. Enjoy that, go try that experience, whether it's music, or monsters, or adventures, or PvP.

I miss DAoC

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Originally posted by Jackdog

Where is the content? And so that's what we make sure, is that part of our end game is that there is no end game. [Laughs] You know, you've got another three months worth of new content this month. Enjoy that, go try that experience, whether it's music, or monsters, or adventures, or PvP.
    I like the words - lets hope they deliver

• ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532

www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/053007_jeffanderson_2.x

I like the part where he talks about future plans for the game

Jeff Anderson: Oh, it's too late, they already are. What we build is episodic content, right? We're building a pipeline, a network of programming that we provide to consumers. Anybody who's playing any of the other competitive games who aren't getting that, they should be asking why. Why are these companies just pocketing all the money and not investing in the franchise? Why are they not adding to the world that they've created? And likewise, if you don't feel your publisher is supporting you, what are you hanging out for? I think those are the things that really are becoming differentiators in the space. One of the reasons we're seeing people leaving other games like World of Warcraft is because they just don't understand what they're getting every month. They're bored with the product. And boredom means that there's nothing more for you to do.
    One of my favorite questions I get asked is, "What's the end-game in Lord of the Rings?" When you play an MMORPG today, the normal answer is that, well, when you get to level 50, 60, 70, you just have to wait around for the next few years for something new. And they say, "Oh wait, play this raid a hundred times and you'll be satisfied." Right? Like, "What? That's an end-game?" We've got lots of what you would call classic end-game behaviors, whether it's going to be PvP in the Ettenmoors, or raid experiences like Helegrod. We've got those mechanics and the epic loot sets to collect. Sure, we've got those mechanics--but we think the concept of the end-game really misses the point. What that phrase means is that the company has given up on making content for it. You know, why is there an end? And I think that the more I get asked that question, the more I try to spread the news about how I think it really misrepresents what the concept of being an online product is. There are two kinds of strengths [to online games]: One, obviously we play with other players online, and that's a huge incentive, so that I can be with other people. But the other one is that it's a distribution vehicle. It's not only a communication vehicle, it's a distribution vehicle. Where is the content? And so that's what we make sure, is that part of our end game is that there is no end game. [Laughs] You know, you've got another three months worth of new content this month. Enjoy that, go try that experience, whether it's music, or monsters, or adventures, or PvP.
    I wonder if he is referring to WoW?!  /sarcasm off
  • eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Where is the content? And so that's what we make sure, is that part of our end game is that there is no end game. [Laughs] You know, you've got another three months worth of new content this month. Enjoy that, go try that experience, whether it's music, or monsters, or adventures, or PvP.

Not playing the game, but what i read an hear servers and client are stable. So LotRo seems to be in productionmode allready. On that basis turbine has not much problems to provide content frequently. This sounds very good.
    But... there should be something that gives you long term goals. I never was a big fan of the classic end-game design, but there has to be something big to achive.
  • GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by eugam

Not playing the game, but what i read an hear servers and client are stable. So LotRo seems to be in productionmode allready. On that basis turbine has not much problems to provide content frequently. This sounds very good.

But... there should be something that gives you long term goals. I never was a big fan of the classic end-game design, but there has to be something big to achive.

There are alot of things to achieve built into the game.Every area have deeds that give out traits. You don't have to do them or you can try to do them all. Not everyone is going to want to do them while many will want to. The deeds get harder to finish as you get higher in lvl and area. Evendim will in it's owne deeds and add to the trait lvls already in the game.

For some this is a long term goal. Not everyone is content with the same play style. Me personally i like doing all of the deeds. It is a good thing to get together with  your kinship to do. The other day my and some of my kinship mates went troll deed grinding. We had a blast killing trolls. It added to all of our troll kill count for that deed. We look forward to doing the same thing for our drake deed and others.

imageimage

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

That's almost always an entirely different story.

These words are eerily famaliar to a couple of MMOs that said they would be episodic. Hopefully for their players, they actually follow through.

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

Turbine has always provided regular content for their games. From AC to AC2 to DDO and now LOTRO, all get content updates on a pretty regular basis. (Well, not AC2 anymore...)

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
       Delivering content wasn't really a issue for Turbine. They occasionally do have issues delivering competent updates. Such as the

way they handled farming in LOTRO. Albeit it does seem there going to fix that All and all Im really pleased with LOTRO so far.

One thing I had to learn to adapt to was sloooowing down. In Wow and COH it was a rush to the finish for me. In Lotro I just feel like

taking my time and absorbing the world. Im not sure if thats a function of the game mechanics or if I just enjoy the world more then Wow and COH. Either way Im very happy.