Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple questions.

PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147
Hello everybody - as an SWG veteran thinking of returning since Beast Master made an entry, I have a couple of questions.

How is loot handled these days? Are there still extremely rare items that can be freely traded? Are there still 'legendary' or equivelant items that can be traded?

For me the most important thing in a game is rare loot to collect and trade and a somewhat working economy.

Also - how is the endgame? Is it hard to reach? In old SWG, the game didn't really start before endgame - is it still the case that there is plenty to do when you have reached the level cap  besides PvP? This question may already be answered depending on the answer of the 'loot' questions since I adore PvE.

Sorry for the incoherent questioning, but I was kind of in a rush. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296

hmmm

Loot - lots of it. Prices have increased again now on rare items since they made Mobs alot harder to kill. Mustafar is a nightmare, and so is the death watch bunker. There are some rare items but mostly dating back from pre-NGE, live old Village stuff can fetch a fortune from some collectors out there.

Alot of loot is traded still. The new beast master has seen a dramatic rise in prices of resources, while no creature is safe as hundreds run around extracting DNA then killing the beast for its loot.

Theres a big market for stated clothing, especially +24/+25 fetching anything between 500k-1m each which is used in armour. Hell, people are even buying junk now! lol

As for an end game, once you've completed everything there's hunting groups and depending on your profession, base busts and not forgetting, helping those starting out :-p

DMUK

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
    http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Yes, rare loot still exists.  The main source of these is Mustafar, with the rarest probably being the warmly glowing engine.  Other rares exist, such as jetpack bases and the Black Sun helmet along with various other items. 

There are obviously other loot items that fall down in the ranks of rarity but they will still trade well, especially loot items used in the RE system.  Chapter 6 includes new loot, along with rares, with Beast Master goods (a 90% Iso or 9+ Hydrolase will make you a very pretty penny) and the new Treasure Maps.

Getting the above rare items is part of the end game and can keep you occupied for months.  Getting them will take you through the majority of the end game content such as hunting for MOBs, instance runs, quest runs, etc. 

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147
    Thanks Obraik and DarthMaulUK - I started on Chimaera yesterday, and I'm actually enjoying myself. The only thing I truly dislike at the moment is the targetting compared to Pre-CU SWG and the special effects attacks make. Otherwise I'm starting to think it's actually better than pre-CU in some areas. For one, things are actually a challenge again! I truly hated the amazing doc buffs. To me, the game was at its best after the mount and playercity update. But this is pretty cool too.

My name is Legatus Taekwon on Chimaera.
    Originally posted by Praetoriani

Thanks Obraik and DarthMaulUK - I started on Chimaera yesterday, and I'm actually enjoying myself. The only thing I truly dislike at the moment is the targetting compared to Pre-CU SWG and the special effects attacks make. Otherwise I'm starting to think it's actually better than pre-CU in some areas. For one, things are actually a challenge again! I truly hated the amazing doc buffs. To me, the game was at its best after the mount and playercity update. But this is pretty cool too.

My name is Legatus Taekwon on Chimaera.
    Be sure to read the sticky at the top of this forum to get your tageting and keymap working almost like it did pre-cu :)

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    I never played Pre-Cu/NGE but I recently gave the trial ago.  I thought the game world/atmosphere was great but the thing that really killed it for me and made me decide not to but a sub was the combat.  It seemed to me like it was "Fire off special attacks and then auto attack while they refresh" 

I was very close to subbing simply for the world.  I have never seen a game with that much sheer landmass before.  You really got a feeling like you were really traveling across the land to get to a quest or objective as opposed to running across a zone.  Unfortuanetly it wasn't enough to overshadow my dislike of the combat system. 

Actually I take that back, I could have got over the combat system and still played for the game world but the price hike on the station pass killed it.  I currently play eq2. Back when the SP was 25.00 It would have been worth it for me to get one so I could play both games and save 5 bucks a month.  But now with the price hike you have to play 3 games to get your money's wroth and I'm just not interested in doing that.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

Originally posted by Rollotamasi

I never played Pre-Cu/NGE but I recently gave the trial ago.  I thought the game world/atmosphere was great but the thing that really killed it for me and made me decide not to but a sub was the combat.  It seemed to me like it was "Fire off special attacks and then auto attack while they refresh" 

I was very close to subbing simply for the world.  I have never seen a game with that much sheer landmass before.  You really got a feeling like you were really traveling across the land to get to a quest or objective as opposed to running across a zone.  Unfortuanetly it wasn't enough to overshadow my dislike of the combat system. 

Actually I take that back, I could have got over the combat system and still played for the game world but the price hike on the station pass killed it.  I currently play eq2. Back when the SP was 25.00 It would have been worth it for me to get one so I could play both games and save 5 bucks a month.  But now with the price hike you have to play 3 games to get your money's wroth and I'm just not interested in doing that.

Eh, you probably wouldn't have like the pre-cu style combat then :)  That was mostly "press every special button a few hundred times, then watch as they all happen one by one from the que." 

From my brief trial of EQ2 though, isn't the way combat happens in SWG (the firing of specials and using auto-attack while waiting on cooldowns) simillar to EQ2?

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by Rollotamasi

Eh, you probably wouldn't have like the pre-cu style combat then :)  That was mostly "press every special button a few hundred times, then watch as they all happen one by one from the que." 

From my brief trial of EQ2 though, isn't the way combat happens in SWG (the firing of specials and using auto-attack while waiting on cooldowns) simillar to EQ2?

To an extent but a lot of how combat unfolds depends on the class you are playing.  For instance my main is a Swashbuckler.  A normal fight for me goes something like this.

-Open with my attack from stealth that knocks the target down

-While its knocked down use one of my attacks that only work from behind

-Mob spins back around to face me

-I stun it and step to the side to use one of my attacks that have to be used from flanking postion

-Mob turns to face me again

-I fire off a few non positional attack

-I use my attack that makes the mob spin around and hit him with my backstab that recently came off cool down.

Thats just one example.  It seems to me that combat in eq2 is a bit more tactical.  You have to use moves to set up the mob to be able to use other moves.  There are also heroic oppurtunities which are basicly Skill chains from FFXI that you complete with other members of your group.(I always think captain planet, OUT POWERS COMBINED! ;)  Also, timming in eq2 plays a large roll.  If you play close attention you can synchronize you combat arts to go off inbetween auto attack swings so you don't push your auto attack back.  This actually raises your DPS.

Please, keep in mind I am not on of those SWG emo's (refugee's) thats like "OMfg NGe iz teh suxx0rz, ur allll st00pid for having funz".  I'm not saying combat in SWG is bad, I'm just saying it didn't fit my personal tastes.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

May I remind you that this was because of the optional buffs.

Without them combat was engrossing, exciting, and quite difficult. You simply could not "press every special button a few hundred times, and watch as they all happen one by one from the que".

It was your choice to get buffed, but in doing so you removed the emersion of combat.

Originally posted by Suvroc

May I remind you that this was because of the optional buffs.

Without them combat was engrossing, exciting, and quite difficult. You simply could not "press every special button a few hundred times, and watch as they all happen one by one from the que".

It was your choice to get buffed, but in doing so you removed the emersion of combat.

Heh "a few hundred times" was a slight exageration but either way, pre-cu also didn't have the type of combat that apparantly EQ2 has.  The closest I think it had would have been the modifiers for being higher or lower/closer or further from the target, but that didn't stop you from doing attacks, just modified the damage done.  My memory is kinda vague on the details though, it's been over 2 years now ;)

Anyway, as you get higher in the levels and access to a more variation of specials it does move beyond simply spamming all your specials, auto-attacking while waiting on cool downs and the rince and repeat.  Most of the professions have a bunch of abilities that you want to use in preperation of other abilities.  A BH for instance might want to get an Ambush debuff on their target before using Assault or Burn.  Timing your specials together and tying the debuffs with the high damagers goes alot futher and can result in higher DPS then simply spamming everything and using auto-attack while you wait.