Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Girl Gamer Vs. Gamer Girl

2»

Comments

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Im a girl (woman actually) who enjoys mmorpgs. I usually play the tank or the destructive caster or my fav, the sneaky backstabbing rogue. I usually do make my toon a female gender but do have a few that are of the male gender. I do care about how I look but I will not and do not sacrifice stats for looks. I craft in every game I play so as a crafter I pretty much have my pick of what colors, style, etc. and yes I want to look good. I dont want to look sexy, I want to look mean and formidable but not with a face that will hurt ya. When the boobies get in the way of seeing your new uber chest armor design, then I have a problem with it.  

I have played with some women gamers and I myself see a difference in the type of "girl gamer' there is. Unfortunately, most are the carebear, follow-their-boyfriend, be a healer/support . Most also dont have the gumption to jump in and start swinging. Then you have the other side, the loud-mouthed know-it-all who also seems to make it their business to let gawd and everybody know they are a girl. (BFD btw) yet still allow the others to do the inyourface fighting. Sigh...

Many are shocked that I am in fact a "real girl" when they hear me in vent. I dont broadcast nor really even talk about whether I am a girl or not ingame. It just seems to never come up. The guy gamers however change one hellova lot when they hear my voice. Even though I could be the best damn tank our group has, since Im a girl, its now the GUY tank who is Main Assist. For no other reason other than I have a nice voice in Vent. :P That pisses me off and I usually wont group with them if it continues to happen.

I dont really know how I would classify myself though. Girl Gamer or Gamer Girl. I just play the toon, play the game. I dont care about being the best but I do care whether or not the enemy gets dead. Whether I get the deathblow or not, doesnt matter, one dead enemy. Guys have a problem with it tho. And dear gawd! If you got a deathblow and the other girls boyfriend didnt, you are a POS with the other girl!!!

In real life, I am feminine, good looking if I do say so myself and enjoy my bubble baths and pedicures. Ingame however, I craft to make sure I have the best spellcrafted, tailored, armored, studded, gemmed, potioned and enhanced and not to mention, color-coordinated suit there is and I dont like to stand in the back and let the "guys do it".  I will curse and yell and fight with the best of them when I am playing.

• AdinaNZAdinaNZ Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Never realized that there was considered to be a difference between girl gamer and gamer girl.

I play to be my best.  I do enjoy support classes, particularly healers, with usual alts being scout/ranger types and monk types.  I try to max out my stats, my power, my power regen, my casting speed, etc.  I've lead guilds, I've lead raids. 

I hate crafting, but I still give it a go to make my character well rounded and more self-sustaining.

I like the armor to look nice, but utility > fashion.

One of my biggest indulges in a game is housing though - I enjoy decorating a house with what's in game. 

My boyfriend plays games with me, but I choose some, he chooses others, and sometimes he doesn't play games I get and vice versa.  it's a nice relationship though as we can spend time playing side by side or cheering each other on in the same room while we do our own thing.  We're both accepting and supporting of our hobby.

In the end, girls (and boys) play games in the way they'll enjoy it best - gamer girls or girl gamers, it doesn't bother me.  If it's the girl kicking your ass in PVP, or the girl following the boyfriend in PVE, it's all good.

**********************************************************************************
    ***4 out of 5 voices in my head agree--I'm ok. It's the fifth one the scares the hell out of me.***

• wrentiawrentia Member Posts: 2
    I've been playing RPG's since the white box D&D set....Started playing MUD's and MOO's in the early 90's, then moved to EQ in 99.  Since then I've played many MMO's both beta and live.  I tend toward fantasy games although I've played a few sci-fi based ones as well.  My main toons are usually warriors of some type, I like to be close in on the fighting, although I also play some healer types as well.  On my favorite toons, I do color coordinate.  I;ve been both guild officer and normal rank and file.  I've been the guild web mistress and the keeper of the DKP.... 

Time has been a factor for me so although I love to raid, I gravitate towards guilds with slightly more casual players.  For a time in EQ I was part of an all female guild but it died in a server split.  We had cool t-shirts one of the girls made for us in RL....

When I first started MMO's, it was hard to be an out gay woman.  Homophobic slurs were far to common.  It's gotten easier with time.  With Vanguard cranking up, I'll be part of a gay guild which will be a first for me.  Should be fun.  I guess that makes me a girl gaymer!
  • roadwarriorsroadwarriors Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Ksenia

Never realized that there was considered to be a difference between girl gamer and gamer girl.

I play to be my best.  I do enjoy support classes, particularly healers, with usual alts being scout/ranger types and monk types.  I try to max out my stats, my power, my power regen, my casting speed, etc.  I've lead guilds, I've lead raids. 

I hate crafting, but I still give it a go to make my character well rounded and more self-sustaining.

One of my biggest indulges in a game is housing though - I enjoy decorating a house with what's in game. 

My boyfriend plays games with me, but I choose some, he chooses others, and sometimes he doesn't play games I get and vice versa.  it's a nice relationship though as we can spend time playing side by side or cheering each other on in the same room while we do our own thing.  We're both accepting and supporting of our hobby.

In the end, girls (and boys) play games in the way they'll enjoy it best - gamer girls or girl gamers, it doesn't bother me.  If it's the girl kicking your ass in PVP, or the girl following the boyfriend in PVE, it's all good.

No offesne but if my girlfriend told me she played computer games I would dumb her azzzz knaw what I mean style. I get righteous that way. Otherwise game on dorkis and remember it might seem like a good Idea to pop the zits but they scar.
  • njdevi66njdevi66 Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Originally posted by roadwarriors

Originally posted by Ksenia

No offesne but if my girlfriend told me she played computer games I would dumb her azzzz knaw what I mean style. I get righteous that way. Otherwise game on dorkis and remember it might seem like a good Idea to pop the zits but they scar.

This is why you will be single for the rest of your life. Having an attitude like that will get you nowhere and your not impressing anyone.

Now i met my ex GF in DAoC a long time ago, dated for about 4 years till we both agreed to end it due to long distance. Anyway i think its cool to see more and more females playing, some are good at what they do, and some arent. All i know is the next woman i meet, i hope she is a gamer like me.

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    I'm not sure which type I would be. I don't play support classes, I prefer ranged DPS. I do play pet classes mostly. I try to color coordinate when it doesn't hurt stats. I'm not big on FPS's though, I prefer MMO's to anything out there.

Now I do always try to play my character to the fullest and best of my ability. One of the biggest compliments I ever got was said during an officer's meeting concerning me switching my main char. He said(his g/f is the support char type) that he couldn't believe I wouldn't be an asset no matter what class I played. Gave me warm fuzzies.

• player321player321 Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Anofalye

Join the group now or keep doing this interesting stuff.

The choice is yours, but meanwhile, XP are rolling around.  You're in, you're out!  You're call, but this carebear won't stop the XP machine for you!   Now if you excuse me, while I write this, I miss my chain pulling and the group is already talking, more pulling, less talking! 
  • JoriJori Member Posts: 130
    I'm not a Girl gamer or a Gamer girl. I'm a gamer. What type of classes do I play? I play them all because I'm an altaholic. I play computer and console games of all types from sports games, fps, rts, rpg, mmo, etc. If it's a game and fun then I'm playing it. Lately I prefer to play as a male character because I am sick and tired of guys either hitting on me or thinking that I'm some wimp who needs to be on the sidelines. Aside from the harrassment, I could care less what the sexist pigs think of women playing games. I'm in a game to have fun and kick some butt.
  • MelceneMelcene Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I have gamed with both types of female gamers, and there are some differences I've noticed...
    Gamer Girl - Joined game on their own, tend to play as Warriors, Mages and other damage dealing characters.  Most competent I ever met was in Lineage one, a 24 year old female who ran a terrrfic sieging guild that I was a member of.  She would actually make us train our combat skills on a bi-weekly basis, running group excercises and mock siege warfare.  Can't comment much on her thoughts on character looks though, Lineage 1 didn't lend itself to that.   Girl gamers are less likely to play the "sex" card in a game, they are more focused on game mechanics and goals, and not about pointing out that they behave a certain way because they are female.
    Girl Gamer - Usually joined the game at the urging of their spouse, boyfriend, or other family members. Will frequently play support classes such as healers/buffers and will normally only co-lead a guild with their significant other.  One oddity, some women prefer to belong to guilds separate from their partner, I've met several husband/wife teams that play in different guilds.  They can be extremely competent at playing their classes, they take it serious, even if they do spend more time working on good looking outfits/weapons.  I find this group tends to handle the bulk of the crafting/gathering chores in a guild more often than not, and they make up a larger portion of the female population than gamer girl.
    Of course, these are sterotypical observations that don't pertain to all female players.  Its just how I've come to perceive female players over the course of many years of MMORPG gaming.
    Your results will vary.... 

This post is almost exactly how I also recently explained the differences between different types of female gamers to a game developer.  I am a female.  I have been both types of the above.  Yes, there are plenty of females that fit somewhere in the middle.  But the above is an excellent representation of the general jist of it.  Yes, it's stereotypical, but unfortunately, that's what we see.  And like I said, having been on both sides of it, I think I can confidently say there is a distinct difference.
  • KoshibaKoshiba Member Posts: 24
    Not sure what form of female gamer I would be. Though some people look at me as not being a gamer because I'm not highly competitive and I don't really play FPS games. I don't like competing with people, I just like to play and have fun. As I always have since I was a little girl with my nintendo. I see no reason to play video games if you aren't going to enjoy it.
  • War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941

I don't think it matters if your a 'Girl Gamer' or a 'Gamer Girl'. I'm a jock and a tomboy and I prefer to play the direct combat 'role' in MMOs. I like my armor to look like armor but I'll still spend time getting a look I like even if it isn't a girly look or color. None of this makes me 'better' then another gamer, it's just my likes and my style (or lack of it ).

• AvyonAvyon Member Posts: 34
    Hoom.. Its just like saying if there is a difference between male gamers... I see no issue on the differences.. you always have the true gamers and the wannabees.. its just nature... *shrugs*

me I play because I love to play.... If I want male attention I'll go to a bar in rl thank you...

chuce..

I realize a lot of people say they don't see the difference, or why it matters, but here is why it matters:

So often in female gaming groups, you'll find some game dev who pops in and wants the "female perspective" on gaming.  Now, if you have two different types of female gamers, with a whole lot in the middle, how are you going to give him one general female perspective?

Game companies are constantly asking how to best market to females, but they don't get it through their thick skulls that you can't market to ALL females at the same time because of the differences in opinion.

The problem is that women who actually identify with one or the other of these groups, do not want the other group to be the one to dictate to gaming companies how games should be made to appeal to female gamers, because they feel the other group does not truly represent female gamers.

And that’s why the difference between Gamer Girl and Girl Gamer actually means anything.

Originally posted by Melcene

I realize a lot of people say they don't see the difference, or why it matters, but here is why it matters:
    So often in female gaming groups, you'll find some game dev who pops in and wants the "female perspective" on gaming.  Now, if you have two different types of female gamers, with a whole lot in the middle, how are you going to give him one general female perspective?
    Game companies are constantly asking how to best market to females, but they don't get it through their thick skulls that you can't market to ALL females at the same time because of the differences in opinion.
    The problem is that women who actually identify with one or the other of these groups, do not want the other group to be the one to dictate to gaming companies how games should be made to appeal to female gamers, because they feel the other group does not truly represent female gamers.
    And that’s why the difference between Gamer Girl and Girl Gamer actually means anything.
    I see the differeance but I don't see the big differance. Sure we like different play styles and place different priorities on looks but that doesn't mean woman from both sides can't be excellent gamers or have the same overall views on what a game needs and really any developer that expects a simple single voice on what women like or want from games don't have much common sense and would be likely to build a narrow game with little depth in all areas with that ability to oversimplify.
  • eschienteschient Member Posts: 72

I don't want to be called out as a Girl Gamer. I am just a gamer. Nothing grates my nerves more than people who make a big deal out of being a female gamer. I see it a lot. Bad to mediocre player comes out of the woodwork waving the frilly girl flag and all of a sudden "so and so is the BEST {insert class here} ever!!" Meanwhile I'm sitting back thinking "Dude, they suck. Everytime they get in group, they wipe us because they can't play their class." Of course, being female, that makes me catty *rolls eyes*

Though it's always funny as hell when those types of gamers come waving their ... "assets"... at me and I have to turn around and say "Thanks, already have my own and they don't play the game for me. /general 'Group looking for 1 {insert that class here}.' Teehee."

Gamers are gamers. Some suck, some rock. I'd prefer to leave the division at that. I've played with some people that are awesome at their class, I've played with some that couldn't find their way to a mob with a map and a seeing eye dog. Male, female, who knows? Who cares? I'm not looking to hook up, I'm looking to kill.

~~~~~~~~~
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

Originally posted by War_Dancer

I see the differeance but I don't see the big differance. Sure we like different play styles and place different priorities on looks but that doesn't mean woman from both sides can't be excellent gamers or have the same overall views on what a game needs and really any developer that expects a simple single voice on what women like or want from games don't have much common sense and would be likely to build a narrow game with little depth in all areas with that ability to oversimplify.

I don't think the two types necessarily do have the same overall views.  One type puts more of an emphasis on socializing, for instance, while the other type may put more emphasis on game mechanics.  Let's take WoW for example:  The girly gamer might want there to be more things to do in Ironforge because she spends much of her time sitting on her rear in IF just chatting with people.  Whereas the gamer girl might want to see better rewards for Warsong Gulch pvp marks.

But I DO agree that any developer who expects one voice is definitely trying to over.  However, part of that problem is there are certain girls out there who believe they can represent all female gamers.  There's one in particular who is a very public person, and is currently running for "Miss Video Game" and personally, I don't think she represents me as a gamer, for example.  So marketing people go and talk to girls like this thinking they're going to get the lowdown on how to best market to women.  How to get that elusive female market.

Because people in the gaming industry apparently think that 40+ percent of the gaming market (which is what women currently make up) means that they're just not trying hard enough for our gender.

Personally I think they should stop trying to pander to our gender, and just make the damn games.

• ichigornoichigorno Member Posts: 8

[snippage for mis posting]

• Crumpet82Crumpet82 Member Posts: 1

Firstly: a girl being automatically inferior to a guy when playing any class in a mmorpg is completely retarded. Its about practice and time dedicated to playing - not your testosterone levels. Some girls just like to be more social and go out, and so don't dedicate as much time to fighting the same mob...killing everything...waiting for respawn...killing mob...respawn..killing mob...respawn...chasing away some random punter who arrived to cramp your style....killing mob...respawn..

Now that I've got that out of the way, I am going to happily admit that I am a girly girl gamer. I am guilty of colour co-ordinating outfits and flatly refusing to wear others even if they *do* have an amazing stat boost. I almost always play girl toons not because I am all hung-ho FEMALE but because they are often much prettier to look at than the male alternative (DDO anybody?). Lets face it. Style matters, people.

The bit that bugs me is that a lot of people seem to assume that all girl gamers are fat, ugly and covered right down to the toenails in acne. This is ridiculous. I've been on computers since I was 3 years old, have gamed all my life, yet I still dress nicely, have a social life and was even one of those popular bitchy types in high school. (the phase has passed). I'm not a ball of lard, I'd be a..uh..size 4-6 US sizes? And i never had acne. Yet whenever anyone found out I was a girl that was the automatic response I got: "You poor fat ugly pizza face, having to resort to playing games to wile away your sorry existance!" Its a bit silly. Eventually I got a bit sick of all the assumptions so when I joined a guild I stuck a picture up on the guild picture forum and promptly received marriage proposals. The point being: Gamer Girls aren't fat ugly icky blobs. You never know, that girl you check out on your bus every day or that hot pair of legs walking down the street might also be a geek.

Originally posted by Melcene

There's one in particular who is a very public person, and is currently running for "Miss Video Game" and personally, I don't think she represents me as a gamer, for example. 

I do agree no one person can represent us all.

Originally posted by Crumpet82

The bit that bugs me is that a lot of people seem to assume that all girl gamers are fat, ugly and covered right down to the toenails in acne. This is ridiculous. I've been on computers since I was 3 years old, have gamed all my life, yet I still dress nicely, have a social life and was even one of those popular bitchy types in high school. (the phase has passed). I'm not a ball of lard, I'd be a..uh..size 4-6 US sizes? And i never had acne. Yet whenever anyone found out I was a girl that was the automatic response I got: "You poor fat ugly pizza face, having to resort to playing games to wile away your sorry existance!" Its a bit silly. Eventually I got a bit sick of all the assumptions so when I joined a guild I stuck a picture up on the guild picture forum and promptly received marriage proposals. The point being: Gamer Girls aren't fat ugly icky blobs. You never know, that girl you check out on your bus every day or that hot pair of legs walking down the street might also be a geek.
    I personaly like that sterotype. I don't want to imagin the amount of awfull chat up attempts if more guys didn't believe it

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    Ahhh... the good ole gender debate. Seriously...  in MMO-land the gamer's sex has nothing to do with her/his l33t skillz.
  • deplorabledeplorable Member Posts: 418

whatever did happen to that cali girl who won Everquests Queen Antonia Lookalike competition....

$10,000 modelling contract she got, not bad for someone who had never heard of yet alone played the game... thank gawd for her bf.

Some girls are really good at games but some aren't; the PMS clan on xbox live before the 360 - although nice to look at, lacked gaming skills.

meh.. as long as you have fun, it's all good... although i really detest guys who think they have to "protect these girls" in game.... pffft .. made me kill them even more often

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

It is semantics.   I'm guess I'm not your typical girl gamer/gamer girl in that I like to look nice in real life and in game, so I'll be the one that wishes Vanguard had better robes and armor choices for us females, plus dyes to coordinate our armor and clothing pieces, more hairstyles and such and in the same breath I can frag with the best ,no matter the gender, as well.   I actually prefer FPS game play over MMORPG because there is this excitement or rush I get while playing an FPS that I don't get when I play an MMORPG with scripted AI's. 

Hehehe...I've wiped out whole squads of guys in games like BF2 and proud of it and did it without armor or aircraft(for those that will scream yea probably used a tank huh) though I can drive and gun a mean Abrams in BF2 when it becomes necessary to deliver the pain.       Almost a 2 to 1 kill to death ration playing BF2 on the infantry only servers.   http://bf2s.com/player/79420246/    Which compared to a lot of guy gamers is not all that bad.