Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fluidity of Control

I currently play wow (well, down to 5 or less hours week at this point), and I'm dissatisfied.  As a PvPer, WoW blows.  I've tried other PvP MMOs, notably guild wars.  In theory I should love guild wars.  No leveling, straight to the action, changing skills and strategies in-between fights.  Unfortunetely, I don't like the way guild wars FEELS when I play it.  I'm standing still for my spells, I'm immobile.  When I do move it feels very bulky.  Melee combat seems like your almost locked into another player.  There is no fluidity of control.

By contrast, wow moves fast.  Kiting a rogue on my mage is fun.  Movement feels fact and natural.  The game FEELS good.

Looking at AoC, it seems to have all the structure of an MMO that I want, but will it have the FEEL I want?  Will it be fluid?

Comments

• SickpupSickpup Member Posts: 382
    Are you asking can I cast or fire a bow while running/moving?

Ide speculate the fluidity will be somewhat  like an fps,but not as realistic physics in the melee area.If they made it to realistic melee would be gimp,I know dark messiah was a fps 16v16 fantasy game and melee just got kited and shot/nuked.I dont think they want that outcome.
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Here's a dev quote from today on a topic about evasion seen in a new video.

"In short, there are both computer-calculated evading and evading based on player skill. You can jump away, from side to side and so on. You can also control what part of your body you want to defend the most, though I won't get into detail on that as this is something we'll speak more about later. As for combos, you equip them -- yes -- but you can't click on their icons to execute them. You will have to make the required series of swings to pull it off. Equipping combos is like making your character "memorizing" them. You can only have a certain number of combo moves "memorized", but your character might have many more in his "combo book"."

"And another thing, you will have to actually aim towards the enemy you want to hit. You need to be at a distance where your weapon will actually make contact in order to make a hit. If your weapon hits many enemies at once, you will of course do damage to all of them. Still, even if you hit, there is a chance that you won't do any damage because the enemy's "dodge skill" (let's call it that) may be too high or he might just be flat out lucky.

This is a role-playing game. We want your character's statistics and advancement through levels mean something in addition to the player skill involved. It's not Counter-strike where the only thing that matters is how quick you are with the mouse. We feel that it's a wonderful mix of both worlds, and we hope you guys and girls will find it to be a step forward for the genre."

The second quote was more in direct response to melee fighting I believe.

Best thing to do is search the dev tracker on the official forums

I agree with you,I just dont type to long to explain alot.do you know if you can injure a friendly player who gets a piece of the swing,i.e friendly fire.Or can you just swing thru him. of course being pvp friendly fire is a thread onto itself.
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Yea im pretty certain there's friendly fire to make it a bit more realistic.

This is pretty much the main thread on it:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=1077&highlight=friendly+fire

• AvioniusAvionius Member CommonPosts: 2
    There's collision detection, but no friendly fire.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • amousamous Member Posts: 169
    I really like th ei dea of the mounted attacks, but how fluid could those be.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    I think AoC will have fantastic fluidity of control. While when casting a spell or firing a bow I'm quite sure your fairly stable. We do know that casting spells makes you stationary, but thats to downplay the possibly devastating effects of a spell weave. But unlike in other MMOGs, there is no 'free kill' class because even mages can fight. :) Some do so extremely well from what I understand.

Beyond that, you can move in combat. Take short hops from side to side, and in melee anyway, anything your weapon touches, it is most likely to hit. (We just found out there is a level/stat based 'evasion' to the game, but it isn't like WoW where thats all that really counts. You can dodge a blow yourself, or even dodge magic and ranged missiles.) But either way, if your not there for that arrow or spell to connect to, or if you jump back a few steps when you see an opponent about to finish a big AOE 2h sword combo. If your not there, you won't be hit, end of story.

IMHO it looks like Funcom is doing a bang up job. They know that PvP is the central focus of end-game content. We know that Skill > Gear, though that gear does play a part, it's far, FAR smaller then that of WoW, or even Anarchy Online. Player skill, dodging blows, being aware of an enemy arrow volley or a big aoe Spellweave, will save your ass. With Formation combat and solid tactics (such as having a formation of pikeman at the ready if your facing cavalry, etc.) It's gonna be great.

As one dev said recently. I'm paraphrasing but, he said something like 'Large scale warfare is all about tactics, were individual small scale PvP is more about going 300 on your opponents ass.'

Sounds like fun to me. :D

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    I dont like the FEEL of the guildwars controlls either. AoC looks like it has more consolish movement, which I prefer the FEEL of.

My blog: image

• amousamous Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Fion

As one dev said recently. I'm paraphrasing but, he said something like 'Large scale warfare is all about tactics, were individual small scale PvP is more about going 300 on your opponents ass.'

Sounds like fun to me. :D
    THATS OUTSTANDING

One bad thing about all this realism is that its going to wear me down like a fps.I couldn't imagine playing pvp in a hybrid mmofps for more than four hours a pop.so if you see me killing rabbits with a pbaoe,im not a pve hoe,im just beat.
  • RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Sickpup

One bad thing about all this realism is that its going to wear me down like a fps.I couldn't imagine playing pvp in a hybrid mmofps for more than four hours a pop.so if you see me killing rabbits with a pbaoe,im not a pve hoe,im just beat.
    Thats true now that i think about it. Those kind of games make your all tense and the adrenaline shoots up like coke w mentos in it. But i think thats whats gonna make this game soo sweet in pvp. You cant get that excitement from some bland style pvp that exist on some games atm. If those right AoC will give people a rush in pvp thatl have em come back for more.