Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Worth Trying Out?

Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
I'm a bit tired of fantasy MMOs and want to dive into Sci-Fi for a change. I enjoyed EQ2 and WoW and was wondering if this game might be worth a try. (No I'm not looking for easy-mode, in case someone comes in and declares I'm a brain-dead MMO kiddie because I like WoW and might find it "too challenging" or something )I've heard of this whole NGE thing which has caused some people to go insane and depressed (well it seems like it lol.) which has me worried but yeah. Basically I'm looking for an MMO that has depth and is engaging from the get-go, is this it?  I mean I would just buy the game and try it out myself but naturally I need to know many different opinions first. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• stevesmithjrstevesmithjr Member Posts: 257
    No.

Classic SWG > CUNGE

• Yaqekuna274Yaqekuna274 Member Posts: 13
        If it was depth you wanted Tutu2, you've missed the ship a few years ago. The NGE as you stated earlier did ruin the complexity and overall enjoyment of the game for many players. Essentially there was a debuff once your character dies before NGE, but as you can guess SOE removed it. Thus killing your character for traveling is now the norm. (Unless they changed it too.) Instead of SWG I would recommend Anarchy Online or Eve Online for your sci-fi gaming lust.
  • Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Originally posted by Yaqekuna274

If it was depth you wanted Tutu2, you've missed the ship a few years ago. The NGE as you stated earlier did ruin the complexity and overall enjoyment of the game for many players. Essentially there was a debuff once your character dies before NGE, but as you can guess SOE removed it. Thus killing your character for traveling is now the norm. (Unless they changed it too.) Instead of SWG I would recommend Anarchy Online or Eve Online for your sci-fi gaming lust.

Bugger. OK then guess I will stick with EQ2 for now.

• freako969freako969 Member Posts: 105

This message is brought to you by a Publish 7 player - SWG has regained a lot of what it lost. The new producers that both SOE and Lucasarts have put into place are FANTASTIC and the game is really coming on leaps and bounds. The only problem atm is the sound is a bit messed up for some players ^^

I would suggest you head over to www.starwarsgalaxies.com and at least play the free trial. Aint gonna kill ya right?

• YendoYendo Member Posts: 64
    truth be told there are way better games out there then this one. Was this a great game? well that depends on who you ask . is it a good game now? I say its ok but not worth the 19.99 for the disc and the 14.99 a month. 
  • Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    The NGE is evil and the darklord Smed is it's creator, try it at your own risk but you may be scarred for life.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• NHO3NHO3 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Tutu2

Originally posted by Yaqekuna274

Bugger. OK then guess I will stick with EQ2 for now.

I played up until right before the NGE. I was there through all the shit they did to the game. It's a great game and if you were not there before NGE or any of the other changes then it shouldn't matter to you. The game's core is still a good basis for a sci-fi game. If you never played it before give it a try. He'll I am even tempted to go back for a little while. I have always missed that game.
  • haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

I'm a bit tired of fantasy MMOs and want to dive into Sci-Fi for a change. I enjoyed EQ2 and WoW and was wondering if this game might be worth a try. (No I'm not looking for easy-mode, in case someone comes in and declares I'm a brain-dead MMO kiddie because I like WoW and might find it "too challenging" or something )I've heard of this whole NGE thing which has caused some people to go insane and depressed (well it seems like it lol.) which has me worried but yeah. Basically I'm looking for an MMO that has depth and is engaging from the get-go, is this it?  I mean I would just buy the game and try it out myself but naturally I need to know many different opinions first. Thanks for any replies.

SOE the company that ruined a star wars mmo and whose parent company made Spiderman an EMO kid.

You're welcome to try the trial.  Just get off the space station before you judge the game.

• lekizlekiz Member Posts: 171

Yes, I'd say worth playing the trial, and possibly longterm. It really all depends on what you want to do, and if you really enjoy the game or not after trying it. Well, for me, I played SWG for a couple years until NGE. I didn't leave because of NGE, I left because of other MMOs coming out at that time that I wanted to try. I did in fact return to try out the NGE for a little less than a year before switching to another MMO again, I have yet to go back to SWG.

So, yeah, again it really depends on what you want to play, and how long you are willing to commit to a MMO such as SWG. It has had its share of problems, I've seen mostly all of them, but it has some ups too. Just try it out, see what you think, and determine from there. Then come back and tell us what you decided.

Good luck!

• CobaneCobane Member UncommonPosts: 151

Yes it is worth playing !! Come to bria server I will help ya. I just reactivated my account. Alot of people everywhere. You can see alot of community members are back and restarting there vendors and stores. Which means people are gearing up for combat. the game is coming back and people that are forward thinking allready know this.

The NGE happened for a reason. The NGE has seen alot of patches and this newest version has alot of people reactivating old accounts. Server merges  are coming once people have a chance to clear out there house and player cities. THe game will come back mark my words. I am running vista and nvidia 8800 gtx direct x 10 full shadows ang game looks better than anything.

• MchartMchart Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Cobane

Yes it is worth playing !! Come to bria server I will help ya. I just reactivated my account. Alot of people everywhere. You can see alot of community members are back and restarting there vendors and stores. Which means people are gearing up for combat. the game is coming back and people that are forward thinking allready know this.
    The NGE happened for a reason. The NGE has seen alot of patches and this newest version has alot of people reactivating old accounts. Server merges  are coming once people have a chance to clear out there house and player cities. THe game will come back mark my words. I am running vista and nvidia 8800 gtx direct x 10 full shadows ang game looks better than anything.
    The current patch is adding in many features that were removed when they the NGE were put in. The NGE is not good, and this current patch, future patches, sony's own comments on the game, and literal loss of 3/4 of the original subscriber base show this. Now they are slowly bringing in pre-NGE features back into the game. Just let the thing die allready.
  • FrenzFrenz Member Posts: 48

There are plenty of better mmo's to try if you're bored with EQ2 than SWG. Look at the 'released games' list on the left, pick any one of those besides sims online, shadowbane or dark and light.

• SWGLoverSWGLover Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 539

Asking this question in the "SWG Veterans Refuge" is a mistake - there are plenty of us long term vets that still play and love the game, but  this is the area that the forum gave to the chronic complainers that are mad that their uber, unbalanced Jedi was brought into line with the rest of the characters.

It's a great game and it's on the up swing again with a rising population and nice addition features.

Of course the haters will be posting about all that they *think* is wrong with the game - the trouble being that most of them haven't played it in years.   

Try the two week free trial and decide for yourself .

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I was thinking of trying this out again... been a loooong time. I don't think there a is a big enough population to make the game fun anymore but i could be wrong. Anyone playing it right now with a trial or something have a good idea of the server pops? When are they doing the combat revamp?

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• MchartMchart Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by SWGLover

Asking this question in the "SWG Veterans Refuge" is a mistake - there are plenty of us long term vets that still play and love the game, but  this is the area that the forum gave to the chronic complainers that are mad that their uber, unbalanced Jedi was brought into line with the rest of the characters.

It's a great game and it's on the up swing again with a rising population and nice addition features.

Of course the haters will be posting about all that they *think* is wrong with the game - the trouble being that most of them haven't played it in years.   
    Try the two week free trial and decide for yourself .
    Are you joking? Anyone that was with SWG from the beginning was not playing the game to be a Jedi. I never even had a Jedi character. I had fun playing SWG the way it was originally visioned. A living breathing world set in the time near the Empire Strikes Back. The time when only one 5 at most Jedi exsisted in the entire galaxy.

I'm mad because SOE knowingly and willingly changed the game to its core. My Master carbineer/ranger was demolished. No longer could I experiance the star wars universe the way that -I- chose to experiance it. I was forced to choose from 1-8 class's. None of which were even similar to my carbineer/ranger setup, that I loved.

Spending money on this game is a risk. And anyone who does so should be aware of that. SOE alienated their entire player base. They could very easily do it again.

The bottom line is this -

If you want to play WoW, but with a star-wars theme. This game is for you.

If you want a unique experiance that this game was before NGE, well.. It isn't anymore. It is a WoW clone. No argument.
  • Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Played SWG for 2 years, used to love the game but the NGE completely destryed it. Now it sucks, dont worth a try.
  • DvolDvol Member Posts: 273

Only thing it cost you is time to download the free trial..Form your own opinion on the NGE..Some here post rosey post saying its the best thing since sliced bread..Some like me think its a stinking pile of bad code, and in need of a 3rd overhaul(it didnt need the last 2) But some still enjoy playing a bad copied formula trying to be WoW in space.But it really doesnt matter what E-words are for the game or against..All that matters is that you try it out and decide for yourself..
  • sadnebulasadnebula Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Try it. I did and was actually enjoying it till ch 6 came out. Which in it's self  is ironic since this is why I came back.  The bm update made me realize that i did not want to play a game where I am at the mercy of  price gouging  merchants.   imho they turned a process to bring pets back into a time sink and a money pit with little though to the part of the community that does not have millions of credits to spend.   If you're more into crafting you may well enjoy it, many are, and the swg forums are rather busy  since the update.

Overall the game is still not bad,  worth a freebie 14 day.
  • NiksisNiksis Member Posts: 1

Yeah, I have to agree that you should try it out yourself, I used to play it for year pre-nge, but after the NGE i left, only to find that SWG is slowly coming back to its former greatness, they are slowly adding old content back into the game..

But you should try it out yourself, the 14-day trial out right now lets you play the "entire" game for 14 days, should be enough to give you some kind of impression wether good or bad.

• Thor_LeifsonThor_Leifson Member Posts: 85

I made the mistake of going back and actually paying for a month. But with Chapter 6, they just changed the dynamics of the game once again.

The lesson to be learned here is that no matter what game it is today, tomorrow they will jsut change this flop again.

I used to love SWG, I was even learning to love it once more, but the Devs have decided that nothing is fixed and permanent in this game. I'm unwilling to invest any more time or money in a game which is just going to change again the next time someone at $OE gets a bug up their posterior.

Skip this one. No one needs the stress of $OE/SWG.