Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Title do you want to be BioWare's New MMO ?[Release Date: 2009] COME ON Target is 1000 VOTES !

Comments

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

NONE!

No one wants another stupid class based MMO and that is exactly what you will see from Bioware.

• thamatharthamathar Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by zaykodroid

Originally posted by Rayx0r

zayk-
    whattya gonna do with your life once they announce the MMO theyre making, whether its another star wars or other?
    start a poll on nerfing jedi's maybe?  :P  (kidding )
    nope i dont mind Jedis or system. A Good developer will solve this kind problems imo.

when they announce

if it will be Star Wars i will start to my Bloody Waiting of release date

if not i will sell my pc and retire from gaming. I think i will do the same
  • LifePositiveLifePositive Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Originally posted by Ciredric

NONE!
    No one wants another stupid class based MMO and that is exactly what you will see from Bioware.
    Pure skill based games are grossly overrated and borderline impossible to successfully create.

City of Heroes was developed as a free form skill based game with an origin system until the developers realized how broke it was, scrapped it, and created what they have today - an archetype system.

Star Wars Galaxies was launched as one, utterly broke and unbalanced. The developers desperately tried to make it work, devoting all their time to getting their wretched system balanced and functional at the expense of actual game content. Eventually they broke down and created a half-assed class system.

Asheron's Call II had one. Emphasize on "HAD."

You get the idea.

It sounds wonderful in the concept stage of development, it makes fans ohh and awh before they play the game, but ultimately it fails to deliver good gameplay and lasting appeal. No one has overcome the "flavor of the month" hell cause by overpowered cookie-cutter skill layouts that always make these games less unique then the one's that use well designed classes.

“How do you kill that which has no life

• zaykodroidzaykodroid Member Posts: 220

dont think too much about system and skills...they will do it best .

• wesker1275wesker1275 Member Posts: 65

Ok so we all now what lucas arts did no say any thing on KOTOR MMORPG  this weekend so When do you think they will say some thing about it.

• GoddyfatherGoddyfather Member Posts: 239
    Knights Of The Old Republic would be a dream come true.
    Originally posted by wesker1275

Ok so we all now what lucas arts did no say any thing on KOTOR MMORPG  this weekend so When do you think they will say some thing about it.
    Maybe they ll announce today (sunday) 

And sony will shut SOE TODAY and fire ever one you works there. come on if they were going to say any thing they would have friday or sat. but not today or monday sorry.

• heimdallrheimdallr Member Posts: 61
    Something completely new would be the best thing IMHO.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
    imageMMOs played-> UO: AoS, L2, GW, GW: F, HO, SoF, ToP

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

zayk-
    whattya gonna do with your life once they announce the MMO theyre making, whether its another star wars or other?
    start a poll on nerfing jedi's maybe?  :P  (kidding )
    nope i dont mind Jedis or system. A Good developer will solve this kind problems imo.

when they announce

if it will be Star Wars i will start to my Bloody Waiting of release date

if not i will sell my pc and retire from gaming.

damn dude, you totally let me down on that response.  I was hoping you were going to say something like

"spend as much energy as I do on mmorpg.com solving world hunger".  But alas, you're just a common gamer with only the expectations of a star wars MMO to be developed.

oh..how much for the PC and does that come with a monitor?   Im in dire need of one and im sure yours is better than mine ;)

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

star wars MMO with a good developer

this will my last game.. i am playing since prince of persia 1, The Incredible Machine, Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis.....i.e.

and time for retire is coming...i want to make the best finale

• samis504samis504 Member Posts: 2

fuck fantasy im tired of these repetitive mmo's fantasy is way past its do date i cant wait 4 stargate worlds and kotor is a must

star wars MMO with a good developer

this will my last game.. i am playing since prince of persia 1, The Incredible Machine, Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis.....i.e.

and time for retire is coming...i want to make the best finale

honestly, im on the fence with this (as for whether or not SWG was better before or after cu/nge)  I know there were some awesome things in SWG pre-cu and NGE.  Very original things like the skill system that I favor over level system.  They also removed a very original social class that people enjoyed playing with the entertainer.

However, I never played SWG that much when this was still around.  I was too caught up with Anarchy Online, so I was never robbed of anything.

I will say that I have returned to SWG post cu, and again post nge. both times slightly irritated, but since my toons werent that high level and my server was dead I have recently returned on Bria with a fairly fresh outlook on the game (recently IE 6 months ago).  I love the flexibility SWG offers on land and space.  I REALLY Like the factions in the game in that you can play for the galactic civil war or freelance.  Space combat is like I remember it back when I played "xwing vs. tie fighter" on the PC years ago.  Very twitch.

with the new storytelling, and beast mastery ive had a blast since it went life and i can only see it getting better.

I guess my point is, SWG is very established.  Most of us MMO gamers who frequent these forums live in a fish bowl thinking we're the only ones who are involved in MMOs.  The thought of Bioware putting something together that would satisfy pre-cu and NGE fans is a stretch, especially considering that KotR is a level based system and the professions in that game are limited.  It took SOE years to develop "jump to light speed" which brought space combat to the game. I think if Bioware does create a KotR game, when its released it would be a shell of what SWG is even currently, not to mention by the time Bioware actually releases it.  Hell, SOE may be very well on the way to a Star Wars Galaxieis 2  by then.

If Bioware came out with a Star Wars MMO, not only would pre-cu/NGE fans be more than likely disappointed, it wouldnt pull new subscribers to this IP who would measure both titles and need to consider which one has been developed more thoroughly.  You need to look at an outsiders view on this, who never heard of the term Combat Upgrade or NGE to see where im coming from.  Those factors dont matter at all.  Its a very losing scenerio for Bioware to consider.  I really think what most SWG vets want is pre-cu/NGE and for some reason they think Bioware will give them just that.  Just think about how improbable that would be considering what the current KotR games are like, what SOE has licensed and what SOE's business ethics are.  (IE> Bioware would face lawsuits to bankruptcy if they even came close to crossing the line of infringement)

anyway, theres a lot of good games out there. dont hang your hat up just because something doesnt turn out the way you had hoped it to.  Not trying to burst your bubble, just lower your expectations a bit so you dont get so upset at the outcome.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • wouldzeywouldzey Member Posts: 59

If Bioware came out with a Star Wars MMO, not only would pre-cu/NGE fans be more than likely disappointed, it wouldnt pull new subscribers to this IP who would measure both titles and need to consider which one has been developed more thoroughly.  You need to look at an outsiders view on this, who never heard of the term Combat Upgrade or NGE to see where im coming from.  Those factors dont matter at all.  Its a very losing scenerio for Bioware to consider.  I really think what most SWG vets want is pre-cu/NGE and for some reason they think Bioware will give them just that.  Just think about how improbable that would be considering what the current KotR games are like, what SOE has licensed and what SOE's business ethics are.  (IE> Bioware would face lawsuits to bankruptcy if they even came close to crossing the line of infringement)
    anyway, theres a lot of good games out there. dont hang your hat up just because something doesnt turn out the way you had hoped it to.  Not trying to burst your bubble, just lower your expectations a bit so you dont get so upset at the outcome.

From a business standpoint and especially in the gaming market NEW pulls in the punters far more effectively than OLD BUT MORE THINGS THAT COULD POTENTIALLY DEPENDING ON YOUR VIEWPOINT BE BETTER.

Lucasarts and Bioware are not simple companies. Their marketing plans will exploit the improved look (by the time it launches the visuals will be blinding). Sure there will be canibalisation into the existing swg but lets just be perfectly honest here, a new SW mmo is not going to attract new customers to the IP? This couldnt be more further from the truth. The licence sells and there will be millions of sci-fi fans and star wars fans out there just waiting for someone to make a good sw game.

I've been on an mmo break after SWG went tits up and Wow was just simply boring but there isnt a single person i've asked who actually plays even casually that wouldnt slap down some pennies to play a good online SW game.

I have every faith in Bioware if it is SW to deliver. Maybe it will be a little cookie cutter experience but one thing is for sure, it WILL be star wars through and through. They have the IP down to an art.

Originally posted by wouldzey

From a business standpoint and especially in the gaming market NEW pulls in the punters far more effectively than OLD BUT MORE THINGS THAT COULD POTENTIALLY DEPENDING ON YOUR VIEWPOINT BE BETTER.

Lucasarts and Bioware are not simple companies. Their marketing plans will exploit the improved look (by the time it launches the visuals will be blinding). Sure there will be canibalisation into the existing swg but lets just be perfectly honest here, a new SW mmo is not going to attract new customers to the IP? This couldnt be more further from the truth. The licence sells and there will be millions of sci-fi fans and star wars fans out there just waiting for someone to make a good sw game.

I've been on an mmo break after SWG went tits up and Wow was just simply boring but there isnt a single person i've asked who actually plays even casually that wouldnt slap down some pennies to play a good online SW game.

I have every faith in Bioware if it is SW to deliver. Maybe it will be a little cookie cutter experience but one thing is for sure, it WILL be star wars through and through. They have the IP down to an art.

its too much to gamble on. its too much to ask investors to gamble on.  its extremely high risk both in licenses and subscribers.  what you guys are asking is for bioware to directly go head-to-head with SOE and their SWG license (who is also in the process of making a new "unannounced" MMO that could be SWG 2) when they have many other options that could be even more successful than Star Wars (which has run its course in the MMO world for a very long time now and is becoming stale)

we can only wait though, one of us will be eating crow and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about the whole thing.  you can mark this post.

Ok guys after i review the facts and clues i found.The clues and facts dont point to a KOTOR mmorpg,I mean if lucas arts was going to make a kotor mmorpg they would have sayed some thing by now.So i think that kotor mmorpg is not going to happen and i think they would most likey make a kotor 3 and not a kotor online and bioware will most likey make Mass Effect online.

• groon_dgroon_d Member Posts: 1
    Well me personally i would love  to see a dragonlance game come out there have been none since the 80's.
  • thepatriotthepatriot Member UncommonPosts: 284

Ok guys after i review the facts and clues i found.The clues and facts dont point to a KOTOR mmorpg,I mean if lucas arts was going to make a kotor mmorpg they would have sayed some thing by now.So i think that kotor mmorpg is not going to happen and i think they would most likey make a kotor 3 and not a kotor online and bioware will most likey make Mass Effect online.

Actually, Lucas Arts and Bioware both have an interest in not saying anything if the mmo is KOTOR.  LA doesn't want the remaining playerbase to leave SWG just yet and Bioware really doesn't need the headache of jaded SWG fans telling them how to program a KOTOR mmo.  If you recall SOE did a rather odd thing and opened up discussiong from the fan base to determine what should go into SWG and the result was a Frankenstein's monter that had no clear direction or concept (I'm not knocking the systems, rahter the direction of the game overall).  Bioware knows what they are doing and I trust them.  They are all about deep storylines and good gameplay.  And they don't rush games out the door.

My money is on a KOTOR mmo.

Originally posted by thepatriot

Actually, Lucas Arts and Bioware both have an interest in not saying anything if the mmo is KOTOR.  LA doesn't want the remaining playerbase to leave SWG just yet and Bioware really doesn't need the headache of jaded SWG fans telling them how to program a KOTOR mmo.  If you recall SOE did a rather odd thing and opened up discussiong from the fan base to determine what should go into SWG and the result was a Frankenstein's monter that had no clear direction or concept (I'm not knocking the systems, rahter the direction of the game overall).  Bioware knows what they are doing and I trust them.  They are all about deep storylines and good gameplay.  And they don't rush games out the door.

My money is on a KOTOR mmo.

Ok then when will Bioware say they are making a KOTOR mmorpg.And can you guys name a good mmo to play because im board and if i cant find a good mmo to play then i may sell my pc.
     a really good sci-fic, history or mafia MMO will satisfy me also.. but KOTOR would be awasome..
  • TechnoDTechnoD Member Posts: 16

I vote for a KoToR MMO without hesitation... No one could do better with the Star Wars franchise than Bioware.

However, if they do make a SW mmo, I can see one problem coming : LucasArts.

I don't know if it's been pointed out before (26 pages is long to read) but it's LA who forced the undesired changes in SWG to SOE.  If Bioware does work with LA again for that MMO, I really hope they can keep LA out of any decisions over the developpement of the game, which seems very unlikely to me.

Other than a SW MMO, a Forgotten Realms MMO would rock, too.  The universe and the Lore is huge, and already familiar to Bioware.

• thamatharthamathar Member UncommonPosts: 103
    So the celabrition is over, what were the games anounce ?
    man that sucks that luas arts did not anounce a kotor mmorpg.So if bioware saided notting now. When will they.I mean its been a year and they are one of the few companys that say notting for one year or more and bioware need to say something soon beceause people will not wait forever.
  • wouldzeywouldzey Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by TechnoD

I vote for a KoToR MMO without hesitation... No one could do better with the Star Wars franchise than Bioware.
    However, if they do make a SW mmo, I can see one problem coming : LucasArts.
    I don't know if it's been pointed out before (26 pages is long to read) but it's LA who forced the undesired changes in SWG to SOE.  If Bioware does work with LA again for that MMO, I really hope they can keep LA out of any decisions over the developpement of the game, which seems very unlikely to me.

Other than a SW MMO, a Forgotten Realms MMO would rock, too.  The universe and the Lore is huge, and already familiar to Bioware.

To be honest, i got the impression that LA only got involved when the direction of the game really needed some focus. I think its out of SOE incompetence that LA was forced to intervene with their ideas.

From their perspective they had a such a massive number of passionate players not only voicing their shocked opinions about where the game was going, but also how the SOE devs seem to be ignoring what the players wanted that. They most likely just thought, ok we have sat back for a while now, our IP is being damaged, mmos are the biggest money making opportunity in gaming so the biggest ip should be bringing in the lion's share of that market.

Why should star wars, the biggest IP there is really, not have the most suscribers? Not be the best game out there? The fans are there, which most IPs simply do not. Wow! how the hell did that get so popular? Sure it had the fans, sure it had the great dev studio but christ! the fan base that game has isnt even into single digit percentages of what Star Wars base chimes in at! Its all about putting that IP down in a way that people can dive into the IP they love. WoW did it right, they made a game that was Warcraft through and through. With SWG however there was never any direction, it was always lets do everything, then lets release expansions, then lets do the cool stuff instead of making a core game then after its in a solid state, add.

What im trying to say is, SWG went wrong by not delivering the SW experience and not making a well designed game. There were some amazing parts to it but shiney bits here and there do not make a good game unfortunatly. When i could finally tell the guys our ranger revamp was getting worked on after one of the devs told us what we were getting, 3 weeks later we were told actually, sorry we are doing something else now and it seems we have been workingon something for the past 6 months and your profession is getting deleted. Devs hadnt a clue what was going on, never mind the players.

LA took the game in their direction, action orientated rather than the star wars universe experience. You could live the mythology and the sw universe back in the day, then the game went along the lines of snap crackle and pop, out with the old, in with flashy bits.

SOE only has themselves to blame, a better and more structured design studio could of made a much better go at it. It needed experienced and imaginative management. IT didnt have it.

man that sucks that luas arts did not anounce a kotor mmorpg.So if bioware saided notting now. When will they.I mean its been a year and they are one of the few companys that say notting for one year or more and bioware need to say something soon beceause people will not wait forever.
    same here. I will wait until Pirate of the Burning Sea's or Age Of Conan's Release Date. if no new info until then this will become really stupid .
This discussion has been closed.