Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to CoV

kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825
Hi , just started out with a trial and im a old CoH gamer , played CoH around 2 years ago but quit due to loosing interest but now ive decided to try it out again with the trial as a Villain.

The one thing im looking to know is , what can people tell me about the classes.

I'm looking for a class where i can smash my way through things, bust some heads in and smile.

Either ranged or melee is fine by me , i just wanna have some fun, but when i went through the character creation with all the stuff you have to choose from i was a little like "mmmmmmmkay t'is not gonna be easy"

Comments

• qazqaz123qazqaz123 Member Posts: 123
    im looking for some uber unbalanced (class) too .. :P PVE / PVP wise.. what can be reccomended there?
  • OremOrem Member Posts: 1

Hi, I've played both CoH and CoV a lot. Trying the free trial as well and I'm thinking of signing up again. Basically the archetypes for villains. Each has their own strength and weakness of course.

If you want something that will tear through enemies in hand to hand. Go brute, lots of health and damage. Not only that but the longer they are in a fight, the more damage they do. These guys are also pretty good at PvP.

Stalkers, these guys are made for PvP. Low health, but stealth and amazing damage.

Dominators, think Blaster/controller. I don't play these, not a lot to say.

Corruptor, A defender with lots of damage. Don't play these much either.

Masterminds: Summons, if you get the right secondary set with the right kind of minions it will work wonders. Works good both solo and team. PvE is not so good with this one because you have to summon out your units and let them do the dirty work. A common tactic by heroes is to just beat down the mastermind because his summons disappear when the Mastermind dies.

Hope this helped.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525
    Originally posted by kwai

Hi , just started out with a trial and im a old CoH gamer , played CoH around 2 years ago but quit due to loosing interest but now ive decided to try it out again with the trial as a Villain.

The one thing im looking to know is , what can people tell me about the classes.

I'm looking for a class where i can smash my way through things, bust some heads in and smile.

Either ranged or melee is fine by me , i just wanna have some fun, but when i went through the character creation with all the stuff you have to choose from i was a little like "mmmmmmmkay t'is not gonna be easy"

No question.  Go Brute.   Revel  in the Joy of *SMASH*

City of Villains has made one of the most fun Tank-type classes I've ever seen in the Brute and it even fits with the game setting genre.  You really get the whole 'HULK SMASH!' feeling when you're playing a Brute and you're rage is really built up.   

People can call other classes 'Tanks' but in truth the ones I've seen in MMOPRGs should be called 'meatshields'.   A tank is heavily armored but it HAS A BIG GUN.   Tank classes in other games are nothing but meatshields, and I find them really boring.   But the CoV Brute can take it and dish it out thanks to their rage game mechanic, and they're even doing it in an appropriately villanous fashion :)

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

City of Villains has made one of the most fun Tank-type classes I've ever seen in the Brute and it even fits with the game setting genre.  You really get the whole 'HULK SMASH!' feeling when you're playing a Brute and you're rage is really built up.   

People can call other classes 'Tanks' but in truth the ones I've seen in MMOPRGs should be called 'meatshields'.   A tank is heavily armored but it HAS A BIG GUN.   Tank classes in other games are nothing but meatshields, and I find them really boring.   But the CoV Brute can take it and dish it out thanks to their rage game mechanic, and they're even doing it in an appropriately villanous fashion :)

Sounds sweet , ill hit the brute then and smash my way through things
  • AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

You might also mess around with attacks that have knockback and increased knockback enchancements.   The ragdoll physics make knockback quite entertaining 
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

A few things to consider about the brutes:

- Stoners are at least TWICE better tanking maching then any other brute, but they are broken until level 38.  They have a slight offense penalty for that awesome edge which make them group-desired over any other brute permanently.  Most popular brute...despite been broken.

- Energy Melee is wonderfull single target damage while neutralising your target with stun.

- Electric armor offer the second best resist, no hps, no defense nothing but resist...which is wonderfull to build rage (should be best resist since they have no defense, no healing, no hps...)  Would need acrobatic most certainly, permanently hasted...

- Invulnerability is the main template for any scrapper/brute/tanker, it might not be the best, but every other template is builded compare to that one...so it isn't that bad...of course, it has no offensive power and it is still TWICE worser then a stoner (they have a slight to hit buff with invinc, but the defense buff and taunting is the main thing of invul, the to hit is a slight extra).

- Fire/Fire are wonderfull offense, damage dealer and soloers.

- /energy defense is very good to solo, but worst possible choice for grouping.

- Electric melee is sweet AoE but doesn't compete for single target damage, keep mobs ont heir back a lot.

- Super Strengh is the most popular choice...and a very good one.  You have a 10 seconds downtime here and there.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

You might also mess around with attacks that have knockback and increased knockback enchancements.   The ragdoll physics make knockback quite entertaining   

Allrighty, ive been trying out a few things through the night before i went to bed, they sure can take a beating thoose brute's :)
    Originally posted by Anofalye

A few things to consider about the brutes:
    - Stoners are at least TWICE better tanking maching then any other brute, but they are broken until level 38.  They have a slight offense penalty for that awesome edge which make them group-desired over any other brute permanently.  Most popular brute...despite been broken.
    - Energy Melee is wonderfull single target damage while neutralising your target with stun.
    - Electric armor offer the second best resist, no hps, no defense nothing but resist...which is wonderfull to build rage (should be best resist since they have no defense, no healing, no hps...)  Would need acrobatic most certainly, permanently hasted...
    - Invulnerability is the main template for any scrapper/brute/tanker, it might not be the best, but every other template is builded compare to that one...so it isn't that bad...of course, it has no offensive power and it is still TWICE worser then a stoner (they have a slight to hit buff with invinc, but the defense buff and taunting is the main thing of invul, the to hit is a slight extra).
    - Fire/Fire are wonderfull offense, damage dealer and soloers.
    - /energy defense is very good to solo, but worst possible choice for grouping.
    - Electric melee is sweet AoE but doesn't compete for single target damage, keep mobs ont heir back a lot.
    - Super Strengh is the most popular choice...and a very good one.  You have a 10 seconds downtime here and there.
    And how long would it take to get to level 38 ? , i spent a few hours playing last night on a couple of different characters and the highest i got was 5 and all i did was quests, im not sure what way is the best way to gain levels.
  • deucalliondeucallion Member Posts: 183
    Best XP?  team team team your brains out.  can be rather frustrating at first cuz you find alot of teams comprised of newbies that have no idea what they're doing.  but if you can find just ONE team that works, it's all worth it. 
    Originally posted by deucallion

Best XP?  team team team your brains out.  can be rather frustrating at first cuz you find alot of teams comprised of newbies that have no idea what they're doing.  but if you can find just ONE team that works, it's all worth it. 
    But i am new my self to the game again, trying to learn stuff all over , i practially forgot how to play the game properly :o

But i think im getting the hang of it again, i hope.
  • PezDSpencerPezDSpencer Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Orem

Hi, I've played both CoH and CoV a lot. Trying the free trial as well and I'm thinking of signing up again. Basically the archetypes for villains. Each has their own strength and weakness of course.
    If you want something that will tear through enemies in hand to hand. Go brute, lots of health and damage. Not only that but the longer they are in a fight, the more damage they do. These guys are also pretty good at PvP.
    Stalkers, these guys are made for PvP. Low health, but stealth and amazing damage.
    Dominators, think Blaster/controller. I don't play these, not a lot to say.
    Corruptor, A defender with lots of damage. Don't play these much either.
    Masterminds: Summons, if you get the right secondary set with the right kind of minions it will work wonders. Works good both solo and team. PvE is not so good with this one because you have to summon out your units and let them do the dirty work. A common tactic by heroes is to just beat down the mastermind because his summons disappear when the Mastermind dies.
    Hope this helped.
    Just for clarification, Stalkers are not made for PvP.  One-on-one, they might be able to hold their own, but in any group situation they get destroyed.  They're too reliant on their Hide skill.

---
    He said to me, "On your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• deucalliondeucallion Member Posts: 183

But i am new my self to the game again, trying to learn stuff all over , i practially forgot how to play the game properly :o

But i think im getting the hang of it again, i hope. Ahh but brutes couldn't be more straightforward.  If something moves, hit it til it stops moving.  Simple.  Easy.  Beautiful.  It's mostly the inept Corruptors that get my galbladder.  Thermals that don't take Cauterize, or the Shields . . . or don't use em even if they do have em!  Dominators that just blast away with their assault powerset and only occasionally think to use their Primary.  Masterminds that think their pets are more precious than their fellow teammembers.  MMs and Doms are the minority though.  Corruptors being the primary support class, it's far more noticable when they're not doing their job. 

That being said, a good Corruptor or Mastermind is a Brutes best friend.  A Corruptor will keep you alive as well as make you stronger or your enemies weaker.  A Mastermind will mitigate enemy aggro from you so you can work your magic without poppin those greens every 3 seconds.  I spent an evening on my Brute duo'ed with a Thermal and lemme tell you, i still have wet dreams about it. 

But i think im getting the hang of it again, i hope. Ahh but brutes couldn't be more straightforward.  If something moves, hit it til it stops moving.  Simple.  Easy.  Beautiful.  It's mostly the inept Corruptors that get my galbladder.  Thermals that don't take Cauterize, or the Shields . . . or don't use em even if they do have em!  Dominators that just blast away with their assault powerset and only occasionally think to use their Primary.  Masterminds that think their pets are more precious than their fellow teammembers.  MMs and Doms are the minority though.  Corruptors being the primary support class, it's far more noticable when they're not doing their job. 

That being said, a good Corruptor or Mastermind is a Brutes best friend.  A Corruptor will keep you alive as well as make you stronger or your enemies weaker.  A Mastermind will mitigate enemy aggro from you so you can work your magic without poppin those greens every 3 seconds.  I spent an evening on my Brute duo'ed with a Thermal and lemme tell you, i still have wet dreams about it. 

Hmm then you might be able to tell me something about Corrupters, i made one for the fun of it, made it Fire as Primary and Secondary was Radiation or soemthing like that i think, they get the metabolism buff i could buff my mate with who went Brute  , but not sure i took the right path , fire sure does kill things with its AOE hits and single target dps, but since your the expert , could you please tell me something bout whats best for primary when your dps'ing on your own and whats the best secondary for support ?
    Ok at this moment i am sitting ingame with my character creation screen open on a Corrupter , but then the big question how much does it mean if you go Science, Magic, Tech , Mutation , Natural ?.

Primary power set : When i look at them i think Lineage 2 classes, f.x Ice = Spellsinger , Fire = Sorcerer , i dont know how to approach this really but with my playstyle which is mostly Solo, im not saying im not a social type but i don't like to rely on i have to party with people in order to play the game, i'd like to choose when i want to play and not have to play when its peak hours and lots of people around to group with.

Secondary power set : Well as i can see its all buff related and some healing but which one to pick , i mean there is so many .

Anyone who have a link to a guide or something that is player created so i can actually see what is what and maybe pick up some tips n hints.
  • BfighterBfighter Member Posts: 90

IF You want to help out your brute friend pick Fire/Kinetics or Ice/Kinetics corruptor. He'll thank you for Speed Boost.

I've seen a Fire/kin corruptor destroy mobs faster than any other AT, ever. Of course, this guy was fully Hami'd and IO'd out.

Originally posted by Bfighter

IF You want to help out your brute friend pick Fire/Kinetics or Ice/Kinetics corruptor. He'll thank you for Speed Boost.

I've seen a Fire/kin corruptor destroy mobs faster than any other AT, ever. Of course, this guy was fully Hami'd and IO'd out.

I've no idea what your talking about when your talking about "Hami'd / IO'd out"

Care to explain ? , remember im just on the trial and started playing again after 2 years.

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

Hamidon don't even worry about until you hit 45. It's a late-game monster who gives special rewards.

IOs are Invention-Origin enhancements. When you hit level 10 one of your contacts will tell you to go talk to someone at the university. Read that closely and you'll learn all about the brand-new invention system. But don't worry about it until 10.

Origins don't matter for the most part. Just pick whatever seems most appropriate to your characters.

Once you pick a primary and secondary, here are a bunch of guides about those sets. Not all guides are created equally but for the most part they're pretty helpful.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

Originally posted by Amarsir

Hamidon don't even worry about until you hit 45. It's a late-game monster who gives special rewards.
    IOs are Invention-Origin enhancements. When you hit level 10 one of your contacts will tell you to go talk to someone at the university. Read that closely and you'll learn all about the brand-new invention system. But don't worry about it until 10.
    Origins don't matter for the most part. Just pick whatever seems most appropriate to your characters.
    Once you pick a primary and secondary, here are a bunch of guides about those sets. Not all guides are created equally but for the most part they're pretty helpful.
    /Bow
    Originally posted by Amarsir

Puh that was alot of guides , maybe abit to many for me, guess ill just experiment some more or read all of the posts in the above link.

Should never have asked for thoose links now im not sure what i wanna play
    Ahh but brutes couldn't be more straightforward.  If something moves, hit it til it stops moving.  Simple.  Easy.  Beautiful.  It's mostly the inept Corruptors that get my galbladder.  Thermals that don't take Cauterize, or the Shields . . . or don't use em even if they do have em!  Dominators that just blast away with their assault powerset and only occasionally think to use their Primary.  Masterminds that think their pets are more precious than their fellow teammembers.  MMs and Doms are the minority though.  Corruptors being the primary support class, it's far more noticable when they're not doing their job. 

Okay if we take Thermal as secondary power , then i just need a primary power set, which is the hard one, after reading all thoose guide's i got confused and a little lost, so many options, so much to choose from, im simply not used to that from mmo's -.-

Getting to level 50 is between 100 and 400 hours, usually 200-300.

A primary for corruptors...all primaries are good at what they do, which is delivering damage.  You may want to consider these one:

- Assault, prolly the best in numbers, but the most resisted, so in the long run, it is usually the worst setting unless you are hitting someone with no resist

- Fire...this is the overall best.  This is the cookie cutter.  You take it, it can't go wrong.  It is stamina-heavy, but it deal very good damage on a steady base, at a sweet rate and you have plenty options.  The numbers are often smaller, but faster, with dot, and some AoE...best overall.

- Cold (or is it ice?), an excellent choice, mostly to fight other players or to fight very strong opponents (Elite Bosses and AVs), against lieutnants and minions I find it subpar because it main advantage is the side effect it has ont he target.

- I dunno if Energy is there, but if it is and it is like the blaster primary, avoid it.

A thermal corruptor is my favorite, you have solid buffs, good healing, good rez. There is a rarity of these as peoples tend to play /kinetic or /rad corruptor.  The 2 shields and forge are very good, and so are most of the powers of the thermal.  A thermal corruptor mix extremely well with /electric armors brutes, you raise their resists to insane heigh and you can heal them.  Players these days don't play them much, so you will find a warm welcome in the game, as you will see it been crowded by kinetics and rad.  I personnally think the gameplay for the kinetic is maddening, and the rad although good, I always feels it was not really that good.  A thermal is to CoV what a cleric is to most games.  A kinetic would be kinda close to what a chanter was in EQ (with healing) while the rad and the /dark would be kinda like shaman with their debuffs.

Getting to level 50 is between 100 and 400 hours, usually 200-300.

A primary for corruptors...all primaries are good at what they do, which is delivering damage.  You may want to consider these one:
    - Assault, prolly the best in numbers, but the most resisted, so in the long run, it is usually the worst setting unless you are hitting someone with no resist
    - Fire...this is the overall best.  This is the cookie cutter.  You take it, it can't go wrong.  It is stamina-heavy, but it deal very good damage on a steady base, at a sweet rate and you have plenty options.  The numbers are often smaller, but faster, with dot, and some AoE...best overall.
    - Cold (or is it ice?), an excellent choice, mostly to fight other players or to fight very strong opponents (Elite Bosses and AVs), against lieutnants and minions I find it subpar because it main advantage is the side effect it has ont he target.
    - I dunno if Energy is there, but if it is and it is like the blaster primary, avoid it.

A thermal corruptor is my favorite, you have solid buffs, good healing, good rez. There is a rarity of these as peoples tend to play /kinetic or /rad corruptor.  The 2 shields and forge are very good, and so are most of the powers of the thermal.  A thermal corruptor mix extremely well with /electric armors brutes, you raise their resists to insane heigh and you can heal them.  Players these days don't play them much, so you will find a warm welcome in the game, as you will see it been crowded by kinetics and rad.  I personnally think the gameplay for the kinetic is maddening, and the rad although good, I always feels it was not really that good.  A thermal is to CoV what a cleric is to most games.  A kinetic would be kinda close to what a chanter was in EQ (with healing) while the rad and the /dark would be kinda like shaman with their debuffs.
    So a Fire / Thermal or a Fire / Kinetic would be your suggestion if i take it right , but ur hinting towards a Fire / Thermal if im not totally wrong in reading you.

But yea im hinting towards either :

Fire/Kin

Fire/Thermal

Ice/Kin

Ice/Thermal

Since i allready have a Fire/Rad which is lvl 5 and i dont really feel i contribute anything to my mate who is playing a brute.

So a Fire / Thermal or a Fire / Kinetic would be your suggestion if i take it right , but ur hinting towards a Fire / Thermal if im not totally wrong in reading you.

Fire/Kin

Fire/Thermal

Ice/Kin

Ice/Thermal

Since i allready have a Fire/Rad which is lvl 5 and i dont really feel i contribute anything to my mate who is playing a brute.

Well, the fire/rad is wonderful for your brute friend.

You have a heal that is centered on you and that always work and heal everyone nearby.  You have AM, which is a mini haste for everyone near you (level 6 I think).  And you have among the best debuffs in the game, so the /rad is good to debuff strong opponents.

The /kin will have speed boost at level 20 (take it before stamina).  You can also heal everyone around an enemy from a distance, but you need to touch the opponent, if your attack miss no healing.

The thermal would have better healing, would be able to rez (the /rad can rez as well, not the kin)...and the shields are wonderfull on any brute.  IMO your Forge is better then a speedboost unless your brute friend is a stoner.

Personnally my corruptor is a fire/sonic, I took the medecine pool to heal as they have the best buff/debuff if we check only for resists, but the healing was kinda problematic.

Fire/Kin

Fire/Thermal

Ice/Kin

Ice/Thermal

Well, the fire/rad is wonderful for your brute friend.

You have a heal that is centered on you and that always work and heal everyone nearby.  You have AM, which is a mini haste for everyone near you (level 6 I think).  And you have among the best debuffs in the game, so the /rad is good to debuff strong opponents.

The /kin will have speed boost at level 20 (take it before stamina).  You can also heal everyone around an enemy from a distance, but you need to touch the opponent, if your attack miss no healing.

The thermal would have better healing, would be able to rez (the /rad can rez as well, not the kin)...and the shields are wonderfull on any brute.  IMO your Forge is better then a speedboost unless your brute friend is a stoner.

Personnally my corruptor is a fire/sonic, I took the medecine pool to heal as they have the best buff/debuff if we check only for resists, but the healing was kinda problematic.

Argh your answering posts with more problematic choices :p
  • Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Imo stalkers are the best class for PVP, awesome damage and stealth cpabilities.