Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long until I'm worth a crap?

imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

I've seen lots and lots of discussion the past few days about eve's skill training system.  So I've decided to put together a table of skills and the time it takes to train them in order to reach a level to where I would feel I have a decent character for my particular profession.  Right now I have just compiled a fighter guide.  A few notes and assumptions about this guide:

• All skill training calculation was done on www.eve-i.com.  Skillpoint totals were taken from my character and I may be a litte off on a few as my character has passed up some of the minimum levels I have here.
  • All calculations were done with 12 points into each attribute.  That is a rather low number for an attriubute if you are chosing a certain profession.  But if you train all your learning skills to level 4 then 12 should be close to lowest number of all your attriubute.  So in other words you can expect these skill times to be much less especially if you have started off with a high perception and willpower attriubute.
  • I made the assumption that all noobs have that you have to have a battleship to be effective in combat.  This is an incorrect assumption but hey I'll go along.
  • I made the assumption that you are going to want to use cruise missles.
  • I consider damage mods, cap rechargers, shield boosters and hardeners all essential to combat so their relating skills are on here.
  • I consider navigation skills with mwd capability essential to all characters so I have included those skills on here as well.
  • I made the assumption everyone is wanting to use heavy drones and more than 5 of them.
  • I made the assumption that electronic warfare and propulsion jamming will be needed for all combat pilots.
  • I left some skills such as surgical strike, rapid firing and sharpshooter out which are great combat skills to have but not essential.  This guide is a minimum to being a good combat pilot not a great.
  • The total time required for all skills doens't mean you are worthless until that point. You can very well be a good combat pilot in cruisers and frigates.
  • This is my first version.  Please feel free to post any changes you would recommend.

Skill

Skill Points Required

Time Required

Learning 4

1d, 17h, 54m

Iron Will

1d, 17h, 54m

Spatial Awareness

1d, 17h, 54m

Instant Recall

1d, 17h, 54m

Analytical Mind

1d, 17h, 54m

Spaceship Command 4

1d, 17h, 54m

Frigate 4

3d, 12h, 2m

Cruiser 4

8d, 17h, 29m

Battleship 2

10h, 34m

Gunnery 5

9d, 21h, 2m

Small Turret 3

7h, 38m

Medium Turret 3

22h, 18m

Large Turret 3

1d, 13h, 1m

Drones 5

9d, 21h, 2m

Heavy Drone Operation

1d, 13h, 1m

Drone Interfacing 3

1d, 13h, 1m

Missile Launcher Operation 5

9d, 21h, 2m

Standard Missiles

14h, 47m

Heavy Missiles 3

14h, 47m

Cruise Missiles 3

1d, 13h, 1m

Navigation 4

1d, 17h, 54m

Afterburner 4

1d, 17h, 54m

High Speed Maneuvering 1

1h, 9m

Electronics 4

1d, 17h, 54m

Electronic Warfare 3

14h, 47m

Sensor Upgrades 3

14h, 47m

Energy Grid Upgrades 3

14h, 47m

Weapon Upgrades 3

14h, 47m

Science 1

13m

Engineering 4

1d, 17h, 29m

Shield Upgrades 3

14h, 47m

Tactical Shield Manipulation 1

55m

Shield Operation 3

7h, 22m

Propulsion Jamming 2

3h, 57m

Totals

64d, 4hr, 51m

Comments

• Celt0rCelt0r Member Posts: 67

Firstly, 12 average is actually very good, thats 60 points total.

I am only 76 with learning V, memory 4 and int V,per 4, willpower 4 and char 3(+20) as well as a full set of +3imps.(+12, dont include charisma), learning V gives +6, so my starting stats were only 39.

(5int, 14per, 6chr, 10wpw, 4mem)

Secondly:

Targeting IV(you need the extra slots)

Signature Analysis III(need the speed to locking)

Weapon upgrades IV(cpu is very limiting)

Controlled Bursts III(for hybrid and lasers)

Standard Missiles III(heavy missiles, and thus cruise require it)

Battleship III(even more important than having large turret III)

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

A 12 average for each skill is very good starting out yes.  But 12 is about an average number for willpower and perception if you are starting out as a fighter.  12 is about an average number is your starting out as an indy character.  What does the 12 in int, mem, or charisma count for in training gunnery skills?  Nothing.  Likewise with perception and willpower for indy skills.  That's why I chose 12 across the board.

Your other skills you listed are nice additions but not required.  Those come in the tweaking period of your character.  Your standard missles are correct.  The eve-i calculator did not show them as requird.  I will update that.

Originally posted by imasig

A 12 average for each skill is very good starting out yes.  But 12 is about an average number for willpower and perception if you are starting out as a fighter.  12 is about an average number is your starting out as an indy character.  What does the 12 in int, mem, or charisma count for in training gunnery skills?  Nothing.  Likewise with perception and willpower for indy skills.  That's why I chose 12 across the board.
    Your other skills you listed are nice additions but not required.  Those come in the tweaking period of your character.  Your standard missles are correct.  The eve-i calculator did not show them as requird.  I will update that.

Thats the mistake a lot of people made. For a fighter character, memory and int are EVERY BIT as important as perception and willpower.

Droning is a hybrid skill(mem+per), electronics engineering and navigation are ALL mem+int

But, I'll say again that weapon upgrades is a must for all, and controlled bursts is a MUST for laser users.

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

Ok, I have updated the table to include standard missles and I also added the learning skills into the main table.  Now that Celt mentions it I realized that 12 for each attribute was more of an average once you have trained your learning skills up.  But 12 should be a low number for your profession. I've seen people with up to 20 points in an attriubute with learning skills and implants.  So these learning times should be close to a maximum once you have trained all your learning skills to 4.

Celt regarding your plea for weapons upgrades and controlled burst.  I have yet to run into a cpu problem in any gallente or caldari battleship.  I have more problems with the powergrid than anything.  As far as controlled burst goes it is only relevant on hybrids and lasers which is getting too specific for this guide.  Putting those two skills on there I consider tweaking because your trying to take the best weapon and put as many as possible of them on your ship and be able to run them for as long as possible.  I'm just trying to give people an idea of what it is going to take to get into a battleship, get some large guns, good missles, and be able to run a few of the more important mods during battle.  You may not be able to fit 4 tachs on your scorp with these skills alone but that is not the intent of the guide.  In the future I may add a recommended skills table.

Thanks for your input though.

I kinda agree, its a very gray area between whats "necessary" and "very helpful".

As for attribs, 14 in all would be a good average with implants and learning skills.