Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG pkers anonymous

2»

Comments

• goko772002goko772002 Member Posts: 1
    every game it is fun to annoy ppl. a real easy way is to scam ive done it and dang i got some ppl mad. i mean i (at lvl 50) would say that 11100 is 111k and scamming easy so if you ever got on rs(easist to make ppl mad) tell me your name and we will rec havoc FOREVER!!imagemwhwhahahahahahha

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Thank you all for your comments (regardless of nature).

Think this was the only thread of mine to generate this much clamor image.

Ironic how nobody else related their experiences. image

Well, in any case: Please don't take PK personally, since a lot of Pkers (including myself) are actually very considerate and polite people in real life (when I was in Japan the people actually told me that they were disappointed that I was so much like them).

The first time I had to deal with my "online gaming angst" was when my first diablo2 hc character was massacred by a high lvl that had lured me into his portal (offering me a waypoint) and while it had only cost me 3 hours of my time (for the low lvl assassin or was it amazon) I was devastated.

Eventually, I had to treat d2 as if it were some sort of war sim: I could trust nobody, not even contemporaries (twinks and hacks were lurking).

Needless to say, I got the hang of d2hc and got a lvl 93 bear druid, which made it to the ladder in it's day (I was number 10 I believe) (the thing had 30 k hit points, which is impressive even in d2)

When I had finally attained high lvls with just about every class, I had finally realized how much more fun I had in the intensified harcore-pk experience; despite the time-sinks induced by pkers, the time spent on the characters that had died was just as fun as those that had made it to high lvls.

The integral of fun over time spent playing hardcore characters that didn't make it far was much more than that of my entire high lvl softcore characters and high lvl hardcore characters combined.

While this may not be everyone's cup of tea, it is certainly mine.

In fact, many times my own real-life friends would try to pk me to annoy me, or I would see famous, hc, pkers kill themselves simultaneously and then laugh about it and why shouldn't they?

An electronic game is hardly a way to judge a person(at least I don't think so and I think that most educated people would agree).

Gl, hf, and good hunting to the pkers that make global-pvp/pvp&hc games as enjoyable as they are for me. image

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say 'ni' at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred."
    MP

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

*shrug*

No matter how many comments are here on this topic, 1 truth remain.   A player like me will have a small outburst after you kill me like a noob, yet, the toon is new and I think after been killed once or twice the player find a way out.

Yet, I honestly have a pure hatred of player that play your way deeper in the game.  I mean, my toon is level 1-5 and a noob, fine, I can live with such abuses.  But when my toon is in the middle level range and a giant PK jump on me and I honestly have no chance, in fact, I hardly realize I was under attack and I am already dead, those aggravated me a hell lot more then when I am a level noob.

I understand you and them are prolly like 1 big family, yet, at start, it aint that bad, and it make me go non-PvP rather then been abuse in the mid game(and then I use anything illegal to avenge, blinded by hatred hehe).  If you must overkill another player, I rather have you do it on level 1 toons then on players that are actually starting to play seriously the game.  The last time a player PK me in a mid level range, in the MUD I was playing I was able to summon anyone in the world in a non-PvP zone FAR from where they where, I abuse it back a LOT on those that PK me, as I was not fighting any player ever, yet, the loot was driving me in those zones. :P

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• LimzarothLimzaroth Member Posts: 10

i totally agree. People take these games way too seriously. i mean. Since when did pking a level 1 become murdering a 3 year old?

that pathetic. blowing things way outta proportion.

I think it just adds more excitement and challenge in a game. and i agree with the other dude b4 that mentioned NPC's will never be as intelligent as a player.

//\//\oo i admire ur way of handling all that abuse and critisism.
    peace out. (we need more gamers like you)

peace

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Yes some folks take it to seriously, both victims and PKers.  I think the game need a grieving feature.

When you kill a player, he can choose to put both your toon and his self own toon offline for a full week.  That way, no dumb PK, just sweet PvP with fair fights and all, who would dare to PK me, I would not hesitate 1 second to put someone that PK me offline 1 week even if I am offline 1 week as well.

That way folks will cool down and understand it is just a game, and folks will just do great PvP, not carnage PvP. :)

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

Originally posted by Anofalye
    Yes some folks take it to seriously, both victims and PKers. I think the game need a grieving feature.

When you kill a player, he can choose to put both your toon and his self own toon offline for a full week. That way, no dumb PK, just sweet PvP with fair fights and all, who would dare to PK me, I would not hesitate 1 second to put someone that PK me offline 1 week even if I am offline 1 week as well.

I think this might actually be a good way to solve griefing. At least it is the beginnings of a way to do it. With a little more developing on this idea, a good system might come out of it.

• DustyBallzDustyBallz Member Posts: 152

I think the point of this whole topic was so the original poster could stir up newbs and PvP haters, just like he does in his games. Leave it alone.

Moo, people like you make MMORPGs lame. Get a life.

MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Originally posted by Anofalye

Yes some folks take it to seriously, both victims and PKers.  I think the game need a grieving feature.

When you kill a player, he can choose to put both your toon and his self own toon offline for a full week.  That way, no dumb PK, just sweet PvP with fair fights and all, who would dare to PK me, I would not hesitate 1 second to put someone that PK me offline 1 week even if I am offline 1 week as well.

(Note to future posters: Please, oh please, post something only if it pertains to the topic and not to a specific poster (including me), if I could edit posts I would have deleted half of them by now >.<, I do like people actually responding to things I write for a change, but the purpose of this thread was for PKERs to post their PERSONAL experiences)

Cool idea Anofalye:

Actually, being a part of the pk community (at times, in some communities I am more of a pkk than a pk) I was adverse to this idea in the beginning, although it does solve the problem of continuous pking by members, it does not solve the problem of "griefing":

Let's say for instance there is a massively high lvl character that the user rarely plays, then this user can pk a new member over and over, since the new player would have to suspend his char for a week, and the new player still wants to accomplish something, while the higher lvl player has everything he will ever need and only has pking left as an activity.  

Your idea would work perfectly if there were an infinite number of chars available for each player to create, otherwise you would still have high lvl lower player massacres (if the number of chars per account is finite).

The mutual pvp setting (as implemented in Forlorn Online (an esoteric MUD)) seems to be a valid solution (you could have your lower lvl char as non-pvp then switch to pvp as a higher lvl char). This would prevent the former entirely.

Or (like in EQ) the separate server solution works as well: However, this is only a microcosm of games (like L2) with global pvp:

The best solution for gamers would be for each game a pvp and a non-pvp server (and a subsidiary hardcore-pvp server and hardcore non-pvp server), though the best solution for gaming companies might look different, as maintenance fees and player distributions vary greatly (as this forum proves if indeed this is reflective of the entire population of players)

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say 'ni' at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred."
    MP

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• phantiumphantium Member UncommonPosts: 214

pvp in anarchy online was pretty good, people were more mature though so that's why there was no problem at all.
    Though pvp in helbreath was always kinda sad, all the griefing around it always gave me a feeling i should quit the game but after all i played it for 4 years.

Twitter @Phantium

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
         It sounds to me, Moo, that since your nice and polite in "Real LIfe" you understand the importance of being a nice guy and that other people arn't so nice (in order for there to be a nice there must be a mean to define nice).  So, I assume, someone at some point in your life was mean to you, correct? Maybe you are taking all of that aggression and gunny sacking it when playing games onto other people. Ultamately doing what bullies have done to you in real life and tell yourself "it is just a game" to justify it to yourself.  Which for some people is not the case, a nice guy would know that some people (especially younger kids) are quite sensitive. I'll stop there.

That is just an assumption and sorry if i was too harsh.

• RazageRazage Member Posts: 53

Actually, if you want an anti-griefing system, what you should do is just do what Jumpgate did.

If the area where the PK takes place is a battlefield or something, then no penalties to the PKer and maybe not even the guy who gets PK'd (Camelot had no death penalties for combat and it does fine, however some people like the fact that when they kill someone, there taking off advancement. That's up to the individual.) Definitely no penalties for the PKer though if it's in a designated area.

If the PK is NOT in a battlefield, then the following rules and penalties are put into effect:

The PKer (The guy who scores the deathblow) has his level matched up against the victims. For every level he has greater then the victims, he will lose 10% of the experiance that he requires to reach his next level. (This formula can be more intense and in JG it was, this is a simple formula for demonstration.) If the PKer is level 50, then it's 10% of the experiance to reach level 50. Also if the PKer started with a greater percentage of hitpoints on his bar then the victims (So if he had 100% but the victim only had 50% because he just finished fighitng a mob.) Then for each percentage point it's an additional 1% (In the above example, it would be an additonal 50% loss of XP.) If the PKer is of lower level and his percentage of health was lower then or equal to the victims, the PKer suffers no loss (The victim should have been able to defend himself in this case.) The last thing is that any hits taken by the victim prior to dieing (Like if there were two PKers and both were of lower level, trying to exploit the system.) Then their levels are added together (Not averaged.) so two level 30's = a level 60. BOTH take the total difference, not the split amount.

This system would discourage higher levels from hurting lower levels in non-designated areas, because they take a heavy hit too. It would SEVERELY discorage a group of people as the losses would be far to high. (3 level 40's kill one level 50. All have 100% health at the start, so that's 700% of the experiance to reach level 40 taken off of each character. That would probably knock them back to level 20 atleast. If the level 50 manages to kill all of them for some insane reason, then he loses 300%, Probably knock him down to level 45 maybe. not nearly as bad. Of course the victims still take a death penalty.)

Best way to prevent unwanted PvP in my opinion, wish more games would use a system like this in their "Safe zones." I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to try it.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Best way is simple.Don't buy games that have pvp restrictions if you want to avoid griefing.

I mean when i played shadowbane(only did 2 weeks though hehe) some guy was ranting how he got killed by some very high level chap.Now to me he has little to complain about simply because he should have researched the game before buying.

There is no shortage of mmorpg nowadays to make an informed choice.

As for "training" mobs on people.Most games will ban the player.In the old verrant EQ style of play ,the GM will go medival on your ass.So rarely would you find a chronic "trainer" around because they all been given perma ban.

Of course with SoE CSR this practise was rarely punished but players themselves knew how to deal with such people.

This behaviour is something you can't eliminate from mmorpg sadly.And with more mmorpg having awful CSR they get away but thats just how things are.

• AzronAzron Member Posts: 41

I agree you are the reason PvP games are not fun.

Wow you can have no life level up and then kill people who do have lives and just want to play for a bit. Haven't you heard of picking on somebody your own size? Your just a pre teen with a small penis, I understand why your angry but try to let it out in other ways.

PvP is awsome but the reason it sucks in MMORPG is because your character strength is relative to the amount of time you play, as a general rule. This is one of the reasons people go to ebay.

Thankfully GuildWars changes all this, and no longer is PvP dependant on how much time youve spent on your character instead in PvP combat everyone is equal and its all about strategy.

Higher level people might have better gear but they do not have higher HP, higher natural AC, more abilities etc. They have more abilities to choose from but since you can only bring 8 into a battle a new player has 8 abilities and a veteran will have 8 abilities.

Its a great system for fair balanced PvP. Everyone has a chance I love it.