Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SUN - A review: Give it to your gramma, she will sure have fun!

If any of you guys saw any of my posts about this game, realized i was really desperate to play it. Well, this made me create an account on the Taiwan server, and as much as i am not from one of the supported countries, it was a hard, hard work. But, account in hands, downloaded the client (Hard work to download it, they hosted it on a chinese download server that requires another account, but this time, i did not found any tutorials on the game sites, so, thanks to my chinese friend for the translation) and now, it is time to play.

First of all, if you want to understand why SUN have a 6.9 hype, why so much people like i was, are desperate to play it? Two things.

First: The developers team for SUN have one of the best Texture Designers i have ever seen, and that makes the game look awesome in Screenshots, videos, and also from the ingame view. (Cinematics are great too, but almost every game has a good one)

Second: Some players made videos of SUN, showing characters skills, one of the ONLY things they did right on this game.

Now, lets go to the reality: This game is OLD. Back to 2005, it would sure be a success, maybe even a classic, but now, it is OLD. The engine is so old, that sometimes you can't jump the grass, i forgot how programmers call this kind of stuff, but, you also can't enter the water (O_O), you stay like you are hitting on a wall when you try to do it. A very old engine, make grinding a masturbation lesson on this game. Dude, prepare your fingers to click eternaly. Who can support this kind of things in the beginning of 2007? This year will probably be one of the greatest years ever in mmorpgs, we will have games like Sword Of The New World (Granado Espada), Gods And Heroes, Age Of Conan (Probably in the beginning of 2008), Ragnarok Online 2, Scions Of Fate, Warhammer Online, maybe AION (Damn, this one is HOT)... just to tell a few.

And while we have so much games improving customization settings like the famigerated Vanguard and CoH/CoV, SUN have four options (Yes, four, 1+1+1+1). For example, if you want to be a Dragon Knight, you WILL be a male character, and then you can choose between 3 or 4 hairstyles. So, after so much days playing, you come back to town and, surprise, you have 10000 twins!! Isn't that gre... FRUSTRATING??!!!!! At least for me, this is stupid.

Let's take a look into the game LORE. This one, everybody reading this already know, it IS a JOKE. They made a copy of LOTR and defecated uppon it. They are so original, that they have SAURON! (Wait, i need to laugh...) AHAHAHHAHAHAHA, i dont need to say, it's pathetic.

People say 2moons is another grind, with great graphics (A good engine), great skills, great LORE, it's F2P like SUN, it's also to be released Q2, so, if you want to play a game like this, play 2moons. I have a post talking about the abiss between F2P and P2P games, so i choose a F2P game to compare to SUN, and soon i will be posting a review of 2moons.

To end the story, a good point of SUN: a friend of mine is playing it day and night, so, maybe its addictive, this guy loves mmorpgs, but only plays F2P, was on Rappelz before trying SUN, so, i dont think he cares very much about all this details, all he wants, like probably every other SUN player, is a game running... a TIP to those players that i gave to him: fun for fun, try Ghost Online... well, we are talking about old engine (style) games being launched at 2007 or not?

Spes Messis In Semine

Comments

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    Originally posted by felipeahura

If any of you guys saw any of my posts about this game, realized i was really desperate to play it. Well, this made me create an account on the Taiwan server, and as much as i am not from one of the supported countries, it was a hard, hard work. But, account in hands, downloaded the client (Hard work to download it, they hosted it on a chinese download server that requires another account, but this time, i did not found any tutorials on the game sites, so, thanks to my chinese friend for the translation) and now, it is time to play. First of all, if you want to understand why SUN have a 6.9 hype, why so much people like i was, are desperate to play it? Two things, first: The developers team for SUN have one of the best Texture Designers i have ever seen, and that makes the game look awesome in Screenshots, videos, and also from the ingame view. Second: Some players made videos of SUN, showing characters skills, the ONLY thing, they did right on this game. And cinematics are awesome too. Now, lets go to the reality: This game is OLD. Back to 2005, it would sure be a success, maybe even a classic, but now, it is OLD. The engine is so old, that sometimes u cant jump the grass, i forgot how programmers call this kind of stuff, but, you can't enter the water (O_O), you stay like you are hitting on a wall when you try to do it. A very old engine, make grinding a masturbation lesson on this game. Dude, prepare your fingers to click eternaly. Who can support this kind of things in the beginning of 2007? This year will probably be one of the greatest years ever in mmorpgs, we will have games like Sword Of The New World (Granado Espada), Gods And Heroes, Age Of Conan (Probably in the beginning of 2008), Ragnarok Online 2, Scions Of Fate, Warhammer Online, maybe AION (Damn, this one is HOT)... just to tell a few. And while we have so much games improving customization settings like the famigerated Vanguard and CoH/CoV, SUN have four options (Yes, four, 1+1+1+1). For example, if you want to be a Dragon Knight, you WILL be a male character, and then you can choose between 3 or 4 hairstyles. So, after so much days playing, you come back to town and, surprise, you have 10000 twins!! Isn't that gre... FRUSTRATING??!!!!! At least for me, this is stupid. Let's take a look into the game LORE. This one, everybody reading this already know, it IS a JOKE. They made a copy of LOTR and defecated uppon it. They are so original, that they have SAURON! (Wait, i need to laugh...) AHAHAHHAHAHAHA, i dont need to say, it's pathetic. 2moons is another grind, with great graphics (A good engine), great skills, great LORE, it's F2P like SUN, it's also to be released Q2, so, if you want to play a game like this, play 2moons. I have a post talking about the abiss between F2P and P2P games, so i choose a F2P game to compare to SUN, and soon i will be posting a review of 2moons. To end the story, a good point of SUN, a friend of mine is playing it day and night, so, maybe its addictive, this guy loves mmorpgs, but only plays F2P, was on Rappelz before trying SUN, so, i dont think he cares very much about all this details, all he wants, like probably every other SUN player, is a game running... a TIP to those players that i gave to him, try Ghost Online or Mapple... you will have more fun.

-Giant wall of text crits you for 1337 damage

-You die

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• felipeahurafelipeahura Member Posts: 33
    Thx, better like this? Also made some changes... :3

Spes Messis In Semine

• 0803008030 Member Posts: 97
    It's a shame SUN  sounds like it has some serious design flaws, to bad. It had real potentail even with it's old engine it still could have been a great MMO if it would have kept originality as a priority. I'm still going to give it a try when it hits the U.S. possibly by then they will have fixed most of the major problems that you described.
  • StridarStridar Member UncommonPosts: 134

Uhm so the difference between this and any other MMO import is?  I'm not sure what exactly you were expecting, it is going to be a asian imported game.  What asian import MMO can you swim, jump, look different then everyone else your class, customize anything?  Asian game makers care about making long ass grinds where everyone looks the same, why?  Less lag for those 500 people sieges they have.  Try having 500 people on the same screen in any US made MMO and see what happens, the servers grind to a hault. 

Again it's a asian import game and if you've played one you've played em all, L2 is of course the most popular, most played and most polished, but all the others are copy cats with different skins applied and if it's f2p....you get just that.

Hero, 9 dragons, RF online, SUN, KO, 2moons, Conquerer, L2, RO, last chaos, CABAL, Eudemons., scions of fate, Archlord ..all those banners of free MMO that these sights shove down your throat, the list goes on and on... there all the same game, one might be 2d and the next 3d, but game play wise they are all just the same and anytime you register and d/l one of these imported games and expect something differenct your going to be disappointed.

Originally posted by 08030

It's a shame SUN  sounds like it has some serious design flaws, to bad. It had real potentail even with it's old engine it still could have been a great MMO if it would have kept originality as a priority. I'm still going to give it a try when it hits the U.S. possibly by then they will have fixed most of the major problems that you described.

Same applies here as to my above post....why do people still think that something will change when a game is imported, when the US 'distributer" gets ahold of it?  I say "distributer" because that is all it is.  They  have no programmers, they don't change anything in the game, they pay for the rights to distribute and host it in a different company and they pay people to translate it to english(normally very poorly).  They don't pay for the rights to change the game play, if bugs are found or they want something changed they have to go through the company they are paying and ask them if they will spend their time to change it for us people in the Western world. 90% of the time they won't as they've already been paid for the game and aren't getting paid more to change stuff.  Name one Asian Import MMO that was noticably different after it was imported and translated?  None.  If they suck to begin with and words are changed so that you can read it, they will still suck.

I'll use Rising Force for example.  The game came out and was a blast at lower levels and while leveling up, pvping and doing chip wars.  At higher levels people started to get bored, Codemasters promised changes were coming(update to give us the same client that they had in Asia).  It took them 5ish months to get this update, in the mean time they lost over half the population and also continued to promise other changes.  Hell they promised that soon as Episode 2(by end of July they said) they would merge all server around Aug/Sept.  They got Ep. 2 well after July and finally merged servers in December or Jan.  Why?  Cause the developers of the game in Asia that Codemasters was paying have to worrry about their own customers before they worry about codemasters customers.  We were last on the list to get things done, thus what could have and should have been done in a few weeks took 6 months to get done.

All MMO imports are the same, the distributer here pays for the game as is and any changes made have to be either first cleared by the Asian developer or done by the Asian developer and if they do the changes then those changes have to be translated before they can be implemented here.

So after that book of BS I just wrote, it all comes down to the SUN he played will be the same SUN you play but it will be translated.

• felipeahurafelipeahura Member Posts: 33
    Well, i was with you, until i discovered we, on the Ocident, just receive the "shit" games from the other side of the planet. You'll hava the chance to feel one of the best mmorpgs i have ever played, Perfect World. And yes, its Chinese. No, it is completely different. Yes, it is perfect. No, no english yet, but the game is intuitive and there is a lot of international players communities that translated great part of the game, so you'll know wich of the 2 boxes is "Yes" and wich is "No". XD Give it a try, then you'll realise the "distributors" like you called, only bought shit. Level Up Games bought Perfect World, it will soon be released in Phil, in english, and probably soon it will launch around here, because Level Up bought the International Rights. Just a few things. Fly like no other mmorpg, at least i never played Aion, i dont know if it's going to be better. Underwater cities, stunning graphics and WASD controls, Great Skills, you can make Cities, the customization is AWESOME INCREDIBLE OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT, as you will see it is completely incredible, stunning.. you can make yourself, you can get one of your pictures and make yourself because the tools are endless, fantastic! etc, etc, etc... PERFECT WORLD, also called World 2 (Imagine why?). Play it.

Spes Messis In Semine

never heard of it, have a link?

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by felipeahura

If any of you guys saw any of my posts about this game, realized i was really desperate to play it. Well, this made me create an account on the Taiwan server, and as much as i am not from one of the supported countries, it was a hard, hard work. But, account in hands, downloaded the client (Hard work to download it, they hosted it on a chinese download server that requires another account, but this time, i did not found any tutorials on the game sites, so, thanks to my chinese friend for the translation) and now, it is time to play.

First of all, if you want to understand why SUN have a 6.9 hype, why so much people like i was, are desperate to play it? Two things.

First: The developers team for SUN have one of the best Texture Designers i have ever seen, and that makes the game look awesome in Screenshots, videos, and also from the ingame view. (Cinematics are great too, but almost every game has a good one)

Second: Some players made videos of SUN, showing characters skills, one of the ONLY things they did right on this game.

Now, lets go to the reality: This game is OLD. Back to 2005, it would sure be a success, maybe even a classic, but now, it is OLD. The engine is so old, that sometimes you can't jump the grass, i forgot how programmers call this kind of stuff, but, you also can't enter the water (O_O), you stay like you are hitting on a wall when you try to do it. A very old engine, make grinding a masturbation lesson on this game. Dude, prepare your fingers to click eternaly. Who can support this kind of things in the beginning of 2007? This year will probably be one of the greatest years ever in mmorpgs, we will have games like Sword Of The New World (Granado Espada), Gods And Heroes, Age Of Conan (Probably in the beginning of 2008), Ragnarok Online 2, Scions Of Fate, Warhammer Online, maybe AION (Damn, this one is HOT)... just to tell a few.

And while we have so much games improving customization settings like the famigerated Vanguard and CoH/CoV, SUN have four options (Yes, four, 1+1+1+1). For example, if you want to be a Dragon Knight, you WILL be a male character, and then you can choose between 3 or 4 hairstyles. So, after so much days playing, you come back to town and, surprise, you have 10000 twins!! Isn't that gre... FRUSTRATING??!!!!! At least for me, this is stupid.

Let's take a look into the game LORE. This one, everybody reading this already know, it IS a JOKE. They made a copy of LOTR and defecated uppon it. They are so original, that they have SAURON! (Wait, i need to laugh...) AHAHAHHAHAHAHA, i dont need to say, it's pathetic.

People say 2moons is another grind, with great graphics (A good engine), great skills, great LORE, it's F2P like SUN, it's also to be released Q2, so, if you want to play a game like this, play 2moons. I have a post talking about the abiss between F2P and P2P games, so i choose a F2P game to compare to SUN, and soon i will be posting a review of 2moons.

To end the story, a good point of SUN: a friend of mine is playing it day and night, so, maybe its addictive, this guy loves mmorpgs, but only plays F2P, was on Rappelz before trying SUN, so, i dont think he cares very much about all this details, all he wants, like probably every other SUN player, is a game running... a TIP to those players that i gave to him: fun for fun, try Ghost Online... well, we are talking about old engine (style) games being launched at 2007 or not?

That is EXACTLY what I felt when I watched the cinematic trailer.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Stridar

never heard of it, have a link?
    Ofcourse you never heard of it, because that would have required you to actually do some research instead of stereotyping hundreds of mmorpg's, basing your opinion on the few asian mmorpg'st hat came to the west. The amount of asian MMORPG's are over 200 games. the numbers that came to the west are less then 25, get real.

Its not "if you played one, you have played all of them". thats rediculous and is proof to me you haven't really done your research.

Even looking at the ones that came to the west you can clearly see diffrences between games like Ragnarok Online and Lineage 2.

Go play Lineage 2, Ragnarok Online, Perfect World, Granado Espada,  and while your at it, go do some research on Ragnarok 2 and Aion and then come back here saying they are all the same with a straigth face.

And yes, all of those games already have or are planned to make a release in english, in the west.
  • AmbushMartyrAmbushMartyr Member Posts: 69
    Took a break form LOTR:SoA and thought i would check up on some other new games coming out soon. No Im not bored of LOTR yet,heh. Its been a pretty good game thus far and have been enjoying it, but wanted to catch up on some news about other games to see whats up.

Perfect Worlds, yes Alot of buzz about this game going around circles easily. Definitely will watch this one when it does get ported.

As for the doom and gloom of imported games, most of what some of the people have been saying is true to a certain extent about imports. But those who pay to even have alot of stuff changed are also finding out that the Korean Devs can be real pricks at times with their code, and at the end of the day if you pay to have anything changed to their game, they can still say yeha or nah to those changes you want.

Ask David Perry about that on 2Moons! Oh yeah theres alot of changes coming to that game,once DP can convince the changes to be made to the devs. And slow? Yeah one poster hit it on the nose. Korean games are dedicated to nothing else but their clients. You get a import better pray you get one that has a good dev team willing to go the extra mile to ensure you get timely changes and good content. Last game i think i played in the F2P realm was Rappelz and to be honest those guys did a decent job of trying to get content to that game as fast as possible, but most of the time your lucky to see ANY Korean made game get anything in less than 6 months to a year sometimes! But so goes the F2P market, you get what you ...pay or not pay i guess,heh.

Overall the games are cookie cutters of not as much the graphics(some yes) but the systems they use are pretty much the same and limited. Sure they will provide some sort of hook but overall your getting a game thats been done a million times only with a few neat things here and there and nothing game breaking. But for mindless fun F2P is where its at for alot of these games, and can be a blast to play if you dont take it to seriously about content and so forth, after all it is free.
  • Nicod3musNicod3mus Member UncommonPosts: 114

If you remember correctly Lineage 2 was an asian game and you could do all of the things that SUN can't and plus some...especially engine wise. There were other 2nd generatiion Asian MMORPGs that could do all that stuff too.