Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering returning to DAoC.

ssvegita0ssvegita0 Member Posts: 13

Hello.  I'm considering returning to DAoC to minimally satisfy my mmo craving until Warhammer, Conan, or Spellborn land, provided they live up to their hype.  I played DAoC back when Shrouded Isles first dropped and was a Necromancer until the population began to abandon the game around the time ToA hit.  Since then, I have bounced from game to game and struggled with a yearning to play DAoC even though it just wasn't the same game it used to be.  I've tested all but the latest expansion out and although they've added a lot of fantastic content, I just can't find the niche I'm looking for and feel very alone in the game.

I am a big solo player, but enjoy grouping with people provided it's beneficial for my time.  My biggest questions are:

1. I've heard so many conflicting responses about the population of the game.  A lot say it's dying, but the more forums and sites I read the more people I see that are so active.  I personally loved the ToA servers, but I REALLY want to get into more RvR as I was a Necromancer and not exactly "RvR viable."  I play at different times all the time with my schedule.  Are Classics pretty populated majority of the time?

2. I am currently playing WoW and the final straw for me has been the constant nerfing of my class.  I typically go for the classes that I enjoy, but sometimes enjoy the "flavor of the month classes" to try something new.  This latest Animist nerf scares me.  Is there a track record of Mythic doing the nerf bat rotation to the next most powerful class in RvR?

3. This one relates to the first question.  Normally, I'm huge solo player but have been finding myself wanting to be with people I actually enjoy being around more and more in game.  WoW soured my guild experiences with raiding for me.  Again, conflicting reports have me ask this one directly; are there still noob-friendly guilds that are willing to help fund/level/all around support a new comer to the game?

I am hoping to drag some friends along with me to seal the deal, but I want to have a guild as my backbone until I am able to get on my own two feet.  Starting over with nothing from level 1 after I had a level 50 Nercromancer with lots of cash and the ability to make even more for my aspiring alts just killed it for me.  (I didn't bother reactivating my old account since he was located on the ToA servers which at the time were all but dead in populations for the most part and I had to pick up all the latest expansions anyway.  Epic edition made that easy).

And yes, I have gone through many forums posts and looked around but have been left with an unsatisfied feeling of my general questions.

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    1.  Since the questions you ask are the same as what other people have asked, why do you think posting it yourself will be satisfying?  It will be the same thing.  I will post and answer, some other people will post some answers, someone that hates DAOC will post about how it sucks.  There will be some back and forth between people, and then the thread will die.

2.  I do not know how the Classic server population is when I am asleep.  I will say that it is the most populated cluster 24/7.

3.  Yes.   There is even a looking for guild flag you can turn on.  Since most guilds are small most are recruiting.  You just need to find one that is around when you are.

4.  The animist nerf bothers me, before that was the bainshee nerf.  This is actually contrary to what they have been doing the past 12-18 months.  Before they had been increasing the abilites of classes and not nerfing them.  I am thinking the reason why Hib is being nerfed is: 1.  the constant complaints from Mid/Alb blaming everything on Hib and those 2 classes, 2. server stablity across the clusters means the more things that are out the more lag and problems the server has some nerfing that helps the server, 3.  Mythics overall regret about adding pet spam to the game, 4.  ToA/PvE changes to reintroduce grouping and eliminate most Raids.  ToA is going to be able to be done by a group.  This means they want grouping and not 2 animist and a bot.  So nerfing Anis was necessary to go along with their further PvE plans. 

5.  It will depend on the time you play, but if it is not too late you should try the ToA servers.  Things will be a lot easier after this next patch goes live. 
  • NartickNartick Member Posts: 3
    As a necro myself It fun to play solo and even in groups although I find myself being a battery most of the time for a theurgist. I left a few months ago but Id have to say there are still people out there. As for the nerfs well having all those shrooms wasnt good for you anyway, just think of it as a diet. and Ive seen many fine guilds out there that take new folk so that shouldnt be so hard for you. bottom line is you should be happy with going back.
  • ssvegita0ssvegita0 Member Posts: 13

The reason I asked the questions myself is I feel that showing examples of what I did not want occuring and relating them to past experiences in the game better allowed everyone to understand where I was coming from.  I also understand that everyone is going to post their opinions, but I felt that this post wouldn't draw in flamers and would give me a better understanding of what is actually going on as opposed to the random idiot posting what they think is happening.

Thank you for the responses, I believe I will be reactivating very soon.  Glad to see that there still is life in this great game, so many memories.  Hopefully I can relive some of them.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Concerning your worry about starting fresh:

With the aurulite  gear you can get, the lack of equipment is not much of an issue.  You can farm aurulite fairly easily and for the first 15 levels or so you don't really need much in the way of gear if you just want to level up.  All the alts I've rolled on the classic server cluster have made it to level 14-15 within 1 hour or so and I've done it all with some basic armor set you get from a quest you can do at lvl 1.  Starting at 10 your trainer gives you a 100% magical weapon that has stats and a proc on it and then replaces it  with a better one every 5 levels.

There's a quest you can do at lvl 40 (for midgard anyways) that gets you 2 bubbles of exp and 110 gold per run and takes about 15 minutes.  The most annoying part being the travel between the mobs and the quest giver.  And at 47+ you can pick up 2 quests that pay out 225 gold each and are in the same zone and give you about 1 bubble of exp.  Once again they take about 20-25 minutes to finish depending on you having speed or being able to port back and the most annoying/difficult part being travel time.

so there ya have it.  I hit 50 on my warrior not too long ago and by 50 I had about 10 plat, my epic armor which is pretty good and now I can take my time do some pvp, farm more gold if I need to and start putting together my template.  All in all it's not as hard as you remember it

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108
    The problem Mythic has and continues to have is NO CLEAR VISION OF WHAT EACH CLASS IS TO BE,AND NO APPRECIATION OF THE EFFECT OF CONSTANT NERFING ON THE SUBSCRIBER BASE.So every class blows in the wind....changing this way then that way on the whims of Mythic. The player base reacts by leaving the game after so much of this.
  • EmmericEmmeric Member Posts: 54

If u didnt like toa then play the classic server cluster. Pop around 7pm EDT is around 2500.

50 PVP sucks if u dont have the same group of ganker to play with every night and 100 plat to buy the Labby gear.

live in molvik battle ground. Lvl 35-39 u can get realm rank 2L9 so u can have a few usefull tools to help out.

U get double xp in pvp zones so u can level 1-39 in bgs killing players and mobs...

TD's are ok easy mobs little bit of money and some drops in return....

• tylerwicktylerwick Member Posts: 446

I re-opened my OLD account recently after seeing 5th anniversary pack on the shelves at Best Buy.    figured , what the heck.   I started the game and made a new character on classic server because normal servers are basically abandoned IMO.

If you play again Classic servers are a must.

• Parsifal57Parsifal57 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by tylerwick

I re-opened my OLD account recently after seeing 5th anniversary pack on the shelves at Best Buy.    figured , what the heck.   I started the game and made a new character on classic server because normal servers are basically abandoned IMO.

Ack thats bad news , I had 3 active accounts at one time all on MID MLF, been tempted to reup myself, not sure I want to go through the levelling cycle again, it got a lot easier with a 2nd account  for everything after my warrior got to 50 the hard way, still may just go back and have a tryout anyway, i've yet to play a MMO that gave me quite the same rush as the 1st couple of years in DAOC , I still look back on good memories of major relic raids in the old frontier where mid both won and lost a few.
  • DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496
    The animist problem was only during seige times and only nerf to the shrooms all other aspect got buffed. The shrooms were overly powered and been getting nerf so many times. I never tried the new nerf. but from what it sounded like,  it was ok .but not enough to solve the initial problem that the animist brings to keep defence.

Should you go back? well if you like the keep sieging no. Poeple abuse it. They dont take the towers they just knock down the doors and hide behind it( usually with animist). The trebs would be deploy behind the tower out of line of sight so you couldnt shoot the trebs down.

The soloing was fun in the game dogding groups and finding them great 1v1 fight. but the downtime between buffing yourself with pots and getting back out there to action was just too much frustration. It better to play WoW for the better class balance and combat then to go through the frustration of soloing for the great 1v1 fights. I play on the classic realm btw.

I don't think you should go back. There nothing change and all the patches bring is nerfs no great content to seigeing or pvp that we all want.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Originally posted by Parsifal57

Originally posted by tylerwick

Ack thats bad news , I had 3 active accounts at one time all on MID MLF, been tempted to reup myself, not sure I want to go through the levelling cycle again, it got a lot easier with a 2nd account with for everything after my warrior got to 50 the hard way, still may just go back and have a tryout anyway, i've yet to play a MMO that gave me quite the same rush as the 1st couple of years in DAOC , I still look back on good memories of major relic raids in the old frontier where mid both won and lost a few.  If you havn't played Catacombs and you scared of the treadmill to relevel a 50 go back. The catacombs expansion was fun and some few battlegrounds make it worth itt releveling a 50. It funny i remember leveling and I would face some of the same people in the next big battleground. Now that was fun. I don't know about the ToA but i remember a patch coming out that you bought scrolls with bounty points and such

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow