Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some new screenies from Vanguard! Everything Maxed!

Comments

• CognetoJoeCognetoJoe Member Posts: 446
    Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by CognetoJoe

No anti alaising on this one Also up close you can see his hair strands in his head hair. It doesn't show up on this screenie .

I rest my case.   about what, I am just posting a pic cause you wanted to see one. The Models in LotRO are much more realistic then Vanguard models imho. The Vanguard are just mass produced Models that use a modeling tool set to make you feel like you have some control over how they look. The bottomline is , every model in Vanguard has the exact same rule and animation set .

I said it because OMG that looks blocky!  You guys don't think LoTR models look blocky?   Whatever...enjoy your game and we'll enjoy ours!  How's that?   I do not care for the model graphics  nor the animation in LoTR, the rest is pretty good and very picturesqe.   As for Vanguard I am enjoying it a lot.   Can't you tell.   The models in LotRO are far from blocky, maybe you should go revisit DAoC then look at LotRO again . It is like me saying that "don't you think the Vanguard models run/walk and even look like they have a corn cob in their buttox" I know my opnion and I know what  I see.   So nothing you say is going to change my opinion of the way I preceive the LoTR models and their animation.   Forget it.   LOL!   Look go play whatever game floats your boat - enjoy.   ^_^  kk

Might want to light a match

But I agree, hope SOE can turn your game around, and I will be in LotRO helping the fellowship destroy the one ring !
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by gatheris

OP

this doesn't seem to be the best picture to use to prove whatever point you are trying to make

VSOG graphics quality?

the full size picture provided by your link is pretty bad

either the horse has an extreme case of the jitters or the game has a serious jaggies problem

is it safe to assume the issue isn't with your graphics card?

Nope...do you know why jpg's are used on the internet as the primary format?  Because jpg's are easier to manage due to  the fact that they are so heavily compressed.   Vanguard saves the images as jpg's.   I dunno how to get it to save them as tif's.   Then you'd see them as they are.  The only thing is I doubt you'd see the kind of quality I do unless you have a monitor capable of handling extreme res's - like HD.   Plus they'd be huge!  We're talking 10's of megs here. 

If anyone here knows how to save an iamge in any other format right from game I'm listening.   Tell me how to do it and I'll gladly start using it.

actually, i would really like to see some high res shots if that is possible

1920x1200

graphics whore

would be very forgiving of bugs and such if the game is pretty

Hmmm...I don't understand?   You saying that the ones I posted and said were 1920x1200 are not 1920x1200?  

not at all

as close to the original as possible

not compressed/gif

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

OP

this doesn't seem to be the best picture to use to prove whatever point you are trying to make

VSOG graphics quality?

the full size picture provided by your link is pretty bad

either the horse has an extreme case of the jitters or the game has a serious jaggies problem

is it safe to assume the issue isn't with your graphics card?

Nope...do you know why jpg's are used on the internet as the primary format?  Because jpg's are easier to manage due to  the fact that they are so heavily compressed.   Vanguard saves the images as jpg's.   I dunno how to get it to save them as tif's.   Then you'd see them as they are.  The only thing is I doubt you'd see the kind of quality I do unless you have a monitor capable of handling extreme res's - like HD.   Plus they'd be huge!  We're talking 10's of megs here. 

If anyone here knows how to save an iamge in any other format right from game I'm listening.   Tell me how to do it and I'll gladly start using it.

actually, i would really like to see some high res shots if that is possible

1920x1200

graphics whore

would be very forgiving of bugs and such if the game is pretty

Hmmm...I don't understand?   You saying that the ones I posted and said were 1920x1200 are not 1920x1200?  

not at all

as close to the original as possible

not compressed/gifCan you speak in whole sentences or is this some kind of code?  I understand some people speak english as a second language, but this...what is it you are saying?  I'd really like to know!

No anti alaising on this one Also up close you can see his hair strands in his head hair. It doesn't show up on this screenie .

I rest my case.   about what, I am just posting a pic cause you wanted to see one. The Models in LotRO are much more realistic then Vanguard models imho. The Vanguard are just mass produced Models that use a modeling tool set to make you feel like you have some control over how they look. The bottomline is , every model in Vanguard has the exact same rule and animation set .

I said it because OMG that looks blocky!  You guys don't think LoTR models look blocky?   Whatever...enjoy your game and we'll enjoy ours!  How's that?   I do not care for the model graphics  nor the animation in LoTR, the rest is pretty good and very picturesqe.   As for Vanguard I am enjoying it a lot.   Can't you tell.   The models in LotRO are far from blocky, maybe you should go revisit DAoC then look at LotRO again . It is like me saying that "don't you think the Vanguard models run/walk and even look like they have a corn cob in their buttox"I know my opnion and I know what  I see.   So nothing you say is going to change my opinion of the way I preceive the LoTR models and their animation.   Forget it.   LOL!   Look go play whatever game floats your boat - enjoy.   ^_^  kk

But I agree, hope SOE can turn your game around, and I will be in LotRO helping the fellowship destroy the one ring !

Is it just me or are some of these people making no sense at all?   "Might want to light a match?"   Gotta be some good drugs huh? 

• CladaClada Member Posts: 168

I said it because OMG that looks blocky!  You guys don't think LoTR models look blocky?   Whatever...enjoy your game and we'll enjoy ours!  How's that?   I do not care for the model graphics  nor the animation in LoTR, the rest is pretty good and very picturesqe.   As for Vanguard I am enjoying it a lot.   Can't you tell.   The models in LotRO are far from blocky, maybe you should go revisit DAoC then look at LotRO again . It is like me saying that "don't you think the Vanguard models run/walk and even look like they have a corn cob in their buttox"I know my opnion and I know what  I see.   So nothing you say is going to change my opinion of the way I preceive the LoTR models and their animation.   Forget it.   LOL!   Look go play whatever game floats your boat - enjoy.   ^_^  kk

Is it just me or are some of these people making no sense at all?   "Might want to light a match?"   Gotta be some good drugs huh? 

They just wish there game supported normal mapping and bump mapping on textures

------------------------------
    Check out some of the mmo's I have played:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/129987/page/1

PC STATS:
    - Q9550
    - Evga GTX 280 SSC x2 (SLI)
    - 8GB DDR3
    - Nforce 790i Ultra

"Might want to light a match!   LMAO!   Now I get it!   Sorry...guys and their toilet humor.   My hubby just pointed it out to me what you were saying!   
  • LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

When it comes to actual character creation, neither LOTR nor VG hold any sort of candle to City of Heroes/Villains.  CoH/V has the best character creation system in the genre. Period.

That said, what LOTR excells at compared to Vanguard, in my opinion, is the overall immersion that a player has from the beginning. From the very first level you're drawn into the world around you, and into the larger story at work in the game. The newbie experience sets up the conflict, sets up the world of Middle Earth, and is just scripted enough to keep things moving at a good clip.

Plus, let's face it-- the environments are gorgeous. Turbine went all out with the look of Middle Earth, and it shows. Each area has the architecture, environment, and overall feel of the different races. It really is a beautiful game. There's a reason the game is flying off the shelves, and it's not just due to the IP.

Vanguard has great potential, but right now the graphics look and feel dated, at least to me. They remind me of a combination of the original EverQuest, and early EQ2, which was fine back in 2004, but it's now 2007. My hope is that SOE overhauls the graphics, adding things like anti-aliasing and shading, and revamps the graphics in the game. It could honestly look a lot better than it does, because while there are flashes of brilliance, there are too many glaring issues that need to be fixed before VG really stands out graphically.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

[quote]Originally posted by Tyrgris
    [quote]Originally posted by URMAKER
    [quote]Originally posted by CognetoJoe
    [quote]Originally posted by Tyrgris

Originally posted by Tyrgris
    <Mod edit>

calm down.. BREATH... dont get so stressed it not good for your health :)

Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

Originally posted by Lidane

When it comes to actual character creation, neither LOTR nor VG hold any sort of candle to City of Heroes/Villains.  CoH/V has the best character creation system in the genre. Period.
    All I did in Cov/Coh was make characters I agree with yah there as well as the immersion.

Also , you have to remember that in LotRO , our end game is epic siege battles for keeps , so we will have over 200 players per side battling, it would be hard to pull that off with super high poly'd character.  It is rumored that some of the battles in LotRo will be "EPIC" 1000's of people big.  That is yet to been seen but the rumors are floating.
    Originally posted by Kenze

dont pet the sweaty things.

I have to disagree with that statement
  • CladaClada Member Posts: 168

[quote]Originally posted by Clada
    [quote]Originally posted by Teala

<Mod edit>

They just wish there game supported normal mapping and bump mapping on textures
    LotrO has plenty of bump maps, just not on every surface to hide bad level design. Our bump maps are on the armors , and only used to enhance an area, not drown it .
    Oh yeah? give me a pic of that. I dont talk and give praise to Vanguard for the heck of it, i actually own and play both so when you say "our game" its also my game. So please, if you think it does please show me, beacuse I have yet to see a single texture with any normal/bump mapping on it.

------------------------------
    Check out some of the mmo's I have played:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/129987/page/1

PC STATS:
    - Q9550
    - Evga GTX 280 SSC x2 (SLI)
    - 8GB DDR3
    - Nforce 790i Ultra

LOTRO is ALL filled with things so beautiful and vivid in color.
    It gets gloomier as you get into the 30's

I know, I beta'd it for 6 months. I've seen every hidden corner and every instance in LOTRO. Infact Patience would be calling me a traitor if she saw me posting here and so would my guild on LOTRO.

One thing that sucks in LOTRO. If you look at most high cliffs you will notice that the textures are stretched. I get the same affect with NwN2 toolset. Nothing really you can do about it other than raise the landscape to shrink it. However, still LOTRO landscape does look nice. But still I think they could have thought of a better why to do Lone-Lands. I think they got a level-entry guy to do that area. Doesn't look much like typical turbine work.

I beta'd as well for 6 months and from beta 1 I got to lvl 25 , playing every day. Beta 2 I got 23 and played Monster Play for a month, open beta to now I am lvl 31. And Unless you rolled every single race and class to 50 in 3 months time, you are 100% full of shit.

WHAT, you don't make any sense at all. You are saying if I played one guy I wouldn't have made it to 50, but if I played multiple guys then I could? WTF are you talking about????

BTW I played one guy named Daemer as a elven Hunter and made it to lvl 40 before Halloween, including a hobbit Burglar named Knave to lvl 20 before beta 2 even started. That is two months of gameplay there alone If you dont' think that is possible then I dont' think you played beta AT ALL. I was in the Extra Crispy guild and original in the Pink Alpha Faeries.

If you are telling me it took you 3 months to get to lvl 25 then you suck at these games. The majority of the plaers were between lvl 30-50 before beta 2 started.

Newsflash, the game is nothing like beta 1

If you played 1 guy then you would of never been through all of the game, I can level 1-15 in Saddle and Combe, Dwarf can level 1-15 in Ered Luin as the elves and hobbits can level in there areas, that is 60 total levels just in the 1-15 . So some how you magically did all 4 races with your one characterin all the races starting content  because according to you and I quote "I've seen every hidden corner and every instance in LOTRO"

Please, you don't have to lie to be my friend.

Guy, first off I don't want to be your friend. I make a habit of not befriending people that are pure idiots.

Secondly. you need to stop putting words into peoples mouths and then stating things to make yourself  seem intellegent. You are far from that, trust me. I can see it very clearly from your rantings.

Finally if you even played in beta2 you would know that you can jump to higher levels instantly when you speak to the first guy in the game. also you don't have to play every race, or class to go to every part of the game world. Shees guy, get a grip. There is only Eriador out there right now.

On a word of note here. Ummm ,when did this become a I betad LOTRO now prove it thread?

Go away kid. your attitude is embarrassing just having others seeing me chat with you. shoo, go away. *Tyrgris kicks CognetoJoe in the ass with his boots.*

The problem is , your a liar. I picked apart your statement and gave you the reality of what you said. Now all you can do is flame me because of your own lies you deem as truths. The fact is one , You can't do 1-6  as one race in all the other races ares, you can't do all the instances as one race, because you can't get to the areas from the 1-6 noobie instance. 3rd , you skipped levels ? So you definitely skipped a huge majority of content. Just Stop it with your lies. no one needs this bull crap from someone who obviously just lies about everything they ever did. O you and Patience are great buddies , Patience is nice to every one, not just you, really need to move your head out of the center of gravity and let everyone participate.
    Originally posted by Clada

Oh yeah? give me a pic of that.  I dont talk and give praise to Vanguard for the heck of it, i actually own and play both so when you say "our game" its also my game.   So please, if you think it does please show me, beacuse I have yet to see a single texture with any normal/bump mapping on it. 
    The tower is bumped.

I will log in and get the ground. I had the ground turned off cause of my crappy video card
  • TyrgrisTyrgris Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by URMAKER

LOTRO is ALL filled with things so beautiful and vivid in color.

It gets gloomier as you get into the 30's

I know, I beta'd it for 6 months. I've seen every hidden corner and every instance in LOTRO. Infact Patience would be calling me a traitor if she saw me posting here and so would my guild on LOTRO.

One thing that sucks in LOTRO. If you look at most high cliffs you will notice that the textures are stretched. I get the same affect with NwN2 toolset. Nothing really you can do about it other than raise the landscape to shrink it. However, still LOTRO landscape does look nice. But still I think they could have thought of a better why to do Lone-Lands. I think they got a level-entry guy to do that area. Doesn't look much like typical turbine work.

I beta'd as well for 6 months and from beta 1 I got to lvl 25 , playing every day. Beta 2 I got 23 and played Monster Play for a month, open beta to now I am lvl 31. And Unless you rolled every single race and class to 50 in 3 months time, you are 100% full of shit.

i love how you lotro guys patrol ALL the other game forums just looking for someone bad mouthing lotro. you guys are worst than the vanbois pre release.

The LOTRO guys are the same TROLLS that came around and are still around as they use to be the ANTI-VG, ANTI-SOE, ANTI-SWG..basically they are just all ANTI-MMORPG. They Claim they like something,b ut I bet if you even go to their game forums they complain there as well about their favorite game. They all jsut chose LOTRO becuase it matches their TROLLING. They want to be known as the LOTROLLS of MMORPG.

The truel only game they ever loved is WoW. They deny it sometimes and even will say they hate wow, just so they win arguments. They are ust mean spirited people that just got burned out on WoW and just don't understand how something they loved so much can turn into something they hate so much. So they now come here at MMORPG to spread their MMOG hate to every game.

You know, it is like a guy that loses his girlfriend. HE is so pissed off that if he can't have her no one can and no one is allowed to have a girlfriend either if they can't happily have one.

So, what do they do. They LOTROLL the forums in hopes to turn everyone off to any game so they will be like them. Confused and bored. Not knowing what to do since they don't like any game out there. They hate it that anyone is having fun playing anygame. Why are they attacking VG? Well because VG is like a camel with a weak back. They know if they apply enough pressure then it will break. It is their easied bait and they are even recruiting new LOTROLL fans to use VG as their training to spread the ANTI-MMORPG.

Trust me, it will be your game next. They did it to Mourning, Dark & Light, Asherons' Call 2. Shees AC2 was one that the master LOTROLLS have bronzed on their LOTROLL Business wall. The one they defeated, the one they got to be closed. One day it will be Warhammer, Age of Conan and even Heros Journey. They will not stop, never. Not until WoW is fun again and they can go back and stop PATROLLING THE FORUMS AS THE LOTROLL SQUAD.

calm down.. BREATH... dont get so stressed it not good for your health :)

Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things.

Sorry, I guess I should have put the word

*SARCASM*

Man you all are very shallow minded. No wonder why you guys can't handle CRPG and have to stick with FPSRPG style.

DUH hit the monley. hit him in the head. Duh!!!

If they made a game where we all had to be a race that fit our intellegence I bet some people on here would be Orges, Orcs or even better yet Trolls. I only see a few High Elves here and they are all females so far. But I can tell you all one thing is that IncognetoJoewould have to play a sewer rat. He isn't even intellegent enough to play anything that could become anything above lvl 10.

THERE, that is EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR TO PROVE MY POINT.

LOOK AT THE CRAP HERE

BTW, did all of you know that LOTRO chars use a skin for armor? Otherwords armor is the skin. it is not a separate entity like in VG.

This is a typical screen with a standard card. Just like it was on my old system when I beta tested last year.

Originally posted by Clada

LOLOLOL!!!
    LOTR has the most bare bones charcter creator, AC1 gives you more options - you cant even change your hight! to top it off Vanguard has 3x the races found in LOTR! From lvl's 1- 25 your chr in LOTR looks the exact same armor wise.
    Think you are forgetting another huge part of LotrO development . IP restrictions .... Who knows what limits where in place and what Turbine had to fight for to even get what we have now, I am very satisfied with the Character creator, I mean if it isn't Coh/Cov why bother ?

Anyway, I am out of here. Going back to play some VG and then to go do more Beta testing with QW:ET then hitting the pillow. Good luck VG players. however I think you all shouldn't even really bother coming here to chat. You will only wind up arguing with people that are bored with all the current titles. even LOTRO. That is why they aren't playing. For me. I am just waiting for SOE to fix VG that is why I am raoming on the boards. Including the ones where they talk about the fixes more  in a constructive manner rather than acting like the sky is falling.. Typical forum trolls I say.

I'm done playing with the puppies of the MMORPG.com. Time to get back to the real world. Sorry, all you LOTROLLS you can't come LMAO.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

alrighty then this thread has become way to snarly for me. Laters

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

alrighty then this thread has become way to snarly for me. Laters

I put the snarl on block , so we can continue with this vs's. It is a great debate and only one person has gone crazy so far

this is the flat map :

this is the bumped map: you can see how subtle it is , just enough to enhance , not drown.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

These screenies are of Vanguard at 1920x1200 res and everything turned on.  The one link goes to where i posted them over on VNboards and the one picture is a seperate one and not part of the series.
    Enjoy!
    vnboards.ign.com/Message.aspx   <<<<  Link to iamges.

entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2105425540100643778RitcCJ  <<<< To full size iamge here.
    Great.  Now all I have to do is spend $2000-$3000 to get a computer that can get that quality during play.  I mean its not like its unreasonable to expect players to upgrade and spend thousands of dollars so they can play one game at a high resolution right?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Ginaz

These screenies are of Vanguard at 1920x1200 res and everything turned on.  The one link goes to where i posted them over on VNboards and the one picture is a seperate one and not part of the series.
    Enjoy!
    vnboards.ign.com/Message.aspx   <<<<  Link to iamges.

entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2105425540100643778RitcCJ  <<<< To full size iamge here.
    Great.  Now all I have to do is spend $2000-$3000 to get a computer that can get that quality during play.  I mean its not like its unreasonable to expect players to upgrade and spend thousands of dollars so they can play one game at a high resolution right?

Nah, depends on what you already have. If you already have a decent CPU/RAM and etc. Then maybe all it will take is $500-$1000 to as low as $200 bucks. Depending on what video card you have and a few other things. You don't need to spend $2000-$3000, just to play VG or most games for that matter.

A lot of people are really mis informed and think they got to get the whole deal. Well I guess it would be that way for proprietary systems like Dell, Gateway, HP and etc. That's why most hardcore gamers know how to build their own stuff. In the long run we save thousands of dollars each year because we all typically upgrade components on a routine basis.

Plus where did you get the idea that it is just for one game? Are you telling me you buy one game every 3-5 years? Wow, Then I would suggest you just stick with what you got. However, when you do have the bucks and are ready to ungrade. Make sure you do a nice upgrade to last you another 5 years.

Not only are you looking at VG, but maybe AoC and a lot of other titles that will be demanding DirectX 10 to see the better quality. Eventually there will be games coming out where you have to have DX10 to even play the game. Which right now only the Nvidia 8000 series cards support DX10. I don't know about the ATI cards though I am not a ATI user.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

img141/6005/screenshot00007fm4.jpg

img187/3121/screenshot00013mj7.jpg

img84/2057/screenshot00062hu8.jpg

img514/6462/screenshot00063hq3.jpg

img520/9678/screenshot00067qt9.jpg

For me these look good, could they been beter? Sure if AA was supported and if it was possible for me to play it at highest settings. Well been a gamer for far to long so have no worry's in time i will be able to play it on hte highest settings, might be due to performance updates with the game but like most of the time  tech will catch up, if not, still no worry's its not like my life depence on this game. Seems it does for most of the "haters" as they just can not let go LOL.

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

Various insane ramblings over 8 pages.

Oh brother. I feel sorry for the others who share the title "fan" with you.
  • Greek_MattGreek_Matt Member Posts: 354

Aah, the endless "No my grafx are better!" debate, and with a lot of angry name-calling thrown in for spice... tasty. Of course you're never going to change someone's artistic tastes just by telling them that the thing they like is crap. On the other hand, I do have some pretty firm views on the subject of the graphics in Vanguard myself, and it never hurts to let your opinions be heard if for no other treason than to allow others to understand your perspective. So here it is, my 2c on where the graphic elements of Vanguard really let the game down:

1. The Devil's In The Details

It's impossible to deny that the Van devs went to huge lengths to cram vast amounts of tiny details into the game. Individual leaves on trees, individual hairs on heads, sliders allowing your to choose precisely how much your lips smirk and your eyebrows arch... it's all there. This of course carries a correspondingly much heavier workload for your CPU, vid card and 'Net pipe, leading as we all know to all the performance issues that have plagued the game since forever and forcing low- and mid-end users to dial down the settings to the point where most of this stuff disappears anyway. Moreover IMO it's mostly a wasted effort - games are by their very nature about movement and dynamism, so most of these infintesimal details are lost in a blur of motion as scenery, mobs and other characters glide by. If you've got the time to count the hairs on a monster's snout, chances are it's because he's standing over your still-warm corpse, and I don't know that this particularly enhances gameplay. It's a huge resource hog that only gets noticed by the amateur photographers among us.

2. No Direction

Whatever you might think of games like LoTRO, CoH/V, Guild Wars, Granado Espada (as manga-esque MMO example) or even (dare I say it?) WoW, the fact remains that these games have a definite, cohesive style about their Art Direction. Whether tending towards the more cartoon, Manga or semi-realistic, wherever you go in these worlds you always feel the style pervading everything from the characters to the environment. By contrast Vanguard, though its models might be technically correct, feels like a bunch of lifeless 3D render demos like they used to put on the boxes of video cards 4 or 5 years ago. The towns look more like B-movie film sets than living communities, and all the zones I've seen (in game and in screenshots) seem to carry the same flat, neutral mood. Nowhere seems more menacing, more uplifting, more sombre, more forbidden, more anything than anywhere else. The types of rocks and trees may change, but the world still looks the same.

3. Beauty is in the (Fish)Eye of the Beholder

It's hard to explain, but it always felt for me that the perspective in Vanguard was strangely skewed - things seemed to get reduced by distance at an alarming rate. This was especially evident in close-up situations, where models (eg. monsters you were fighting) appeared disproportionately distant, as though viewed through some strange camera lens effect. As well as being a little disorientating, it also made it feel like there was a lot more space between objects in the distance than there needed to be, which in turn made the world feel a little empty (subs aside ;p ).

4. Bump My Ride

Now I'm a huge fan of good texturing, but for some reason the reflective values of the bump-mapping in VG seem a little off. Crank your vid settings up to max (if you dare!) and everything gets a strange sheen to it. In their pursuit of semi-realism, I think the graphic devs went a little too far and gave the game an oddly liquid-metallic cast which doesn't really fit with the high fantasy setting they're trying to create.

5. Unimation

There really is no excuse for any game to be releasing in 2007 with the kinds of wooden animations that some of the VG models seem to have. Moving characters feel like floating torsos with frozen hips/shoulders and flapping knees & elbows, jumping characters are like something an animation intern would produce. If thee was any motion capture done, they sure did a really good job of hiding it.

For me then, the graphics of Vanguard can best be described as failing to see the woods for the trees. By concentrating on tiny detail at the expense of the Big Picture they've ended up with the worst of both worlds - a game that runs poorly but also looks substandard. It's been argued that Turbine's (purely because they've been mentioned on this thread) strength is in it's environments and not in its character detail, and I couldn't agree more, but I don't see this particularly as a weakness at all. The character models are designed to look good while in motion and from a middle distance, the view from which most gamers will be seeing them most of the time. Taking the time to make the scenery more cohesive and thematic is a much better investment in time and resources, since that's the part of the graphics that moves less slowly and sets the mood of the area. I won't deny that the aerial photos of Vanguard look great, but sadly they failed to translate this into anything meaningful in the middle-ground, which is where the game is played.

But like I said, I don't expect to be changing anyone's mind. Enoy what you enjoy and respect the opinions of others!

• DradiinDradiin Member Posts: 259
    Hmm you know looking at one of those screen shots i was thinking... WOW this is just like playing the game !!! The FPS of looking at that screeny was just like it was when playing it.

Thanx to the OP for reminding me why i cancelled.