Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much would you pay for a really good gaming PC?

(This question is just about the tower - don't include the monitor, keyboard, etc.)

Assuming it could handle any game (even upcoming ones) with all the graphics turned up, smooth movement at a decent widescreen resolution (like 1680 x 1050), 2GB of memory, 500GB hard drive - it could hold its own against Alienware, Falcon Northwest, or Voodoo PCs.

Don't worry about what they tend to cost right now:

How much would YOU be willing to pay for it?

Comments

• InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115
    Well I'd build my own and probably spend around $1500 provided I had the money laying around

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    If I had the money...probably in the neighborhood of 1500 to 2000...edit...just saw you actually gave the specs to what we are buying...nevermind, no 2k for you...I thought we were just going with the best cost/hardware ratio we could get.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Not entirely sure what the exchange rate is these days, dollars are pretty cheap now but I spent about 1400 euro on mine some 2 months ago, I guess that equates to about 2000$.

Id bet though that if I would have spent them in the US I would have gotten more for them.

"No name" midi tower

Chieftec 620W PSU

Gigabyte 965P DS4 Mobo

Intel dual core 6400 2.13

4GB Corsair XMS 800mhz

320 and 400 GB Samsung drives

Leadtek 8800 GTS 320 MB

No DVD or soundcard, ripped that out of old computer.

What would that cost in the states? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

$1,500. I don't like getting into the 2's for a computer.

• LlamaLordLlamaLord Member Posts: 115

Built this today, really cheap too :-

HIS ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Asus P5K Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) Overclocker to 3ghz (can overlclock a lot more)

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

Enermax Infiniti 650W

Antec NINE HUNDRED Gamers

250GB Western Digital 16MB Cache SATA-2 Hard Drive

Microsoft Vista Premium 32-Bit OEM

Cost around £750 which is around $1,484.03 US prob cheaper if you shop around

The P5k Clocks like a maniac, and can take the DDR3 memory and is cheap around £100 - ($200), It will run any games gets about 11k 3D Mark 06.

• whackerswhackers Member Posts: 30
    I wouldnt pay for a gaming machine, i'd have a sugar daddy pay for it:)
  • DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by whackers

I wouldnt pay for a gaming machine, i'd have a sugar daddy pay for it:)

Nothing says "I love you" like  gaming computer.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• SkollSkoll Member Posts: 442
    Originally posted by DoomClam

(This question is just about the tower - don't include the monitor, keyboard, etc.)

Assuming it could handle any game (even upcoming ones) with all the graphics turned up, smooth movement at a decent widescreen resolution (like 1680 x 1050), 2GB of memory, 500GB hard drive - it could hold its own against Alienware, Falcon Northwest, or Voodoo PCs.

Don't worry about what they tend to cost right now:

How much would YOU be willing to pay for it?
    1 billion, gagillion, fafillion, shabolubalu million illion yillion...yen.
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

My last build (about 6 months ago) cost me around $2000US for :

• Asus M8N SLI Premium board
    • AMD 64x2 4200
    • 4Gb Corsair RAM
    • 2 x XFX 7900 GT cards
    • 2 x Seagate 250Gb SATA 2's
    • 600W SLI Rated True Power Supply
    • Antec Case
    • Sony DVDRW
    • Sony DVD Rom
    • Second Fan

It had some initial issues with the SLI and I still dont get the 4gb RAM because of Winblows XP blah diddy blah blah.... but Im happy with it. Does everything I want it to.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by LlamaLord

HIS ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) Overclocker to 3ghz (can overlclock a lot more)
    Enermax Infiniti 650W

The P5k Clocks like a maniac, and can take the DDR3 memory and is cheap around £100 - ($200), It will run any games gets about 11k 3D Mark 06.

Thats is indeed incredibly cheap.

Isnt the 2900 card like 400£ alone?

Great buy, and build.

Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.

• LlamaLordLlamaLord Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Umbrood

Originally posted by LlamaLord

Enermax Infiniti 650W

Thats is indeed incredibly cheap.

Isnt the 2900 card like 400£ alone?

Great buy, and build.

Hehe not my PC, was for a customer mines alot better :P Believe it or not the 2900 is only £250.

• gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105
    I see no need to spend more than $1500 on just the box.

There are trendy things that people waste entirely too much money on.  SLI/crossfire and raid.  Both of those things are money sinks and contradict the price/performance theme you should have when building a system.  I can quote you many articles that state that raid 0 is an insignificant performance increase for the average desktop user. The one exeption is someone that encodes media 24/7.  Raid 0 for desktop use is a waste of money.  Just get one good drive that suits your needs.

Same can be said for SLI/Crossfire.  Just get one good video card that suits your needs.  If you plan your system while avoiding SLI/Crossfire, you can spend a lot less money.  Less money on a single 16xPCIe slot motherboard,  Less money on a powersupply, and obviously you only need one video card.  Also, you will cause less power to be consumed thus creating less heat in your case.

So, a simple high end build that costs less than $1500 is:

965P or P35 non-sli/crossfire motherboard

any 8800 video card to suit your tastes

any core 2 duo to suit your tastes

Quality 450-600W Power supply (Here is a good place to go for quality PSUs Jonnyguru.com forums)

DDR2 Ram is dirt cheap right now.. you can go anywhere and get 2X1GB for under $100

The rest of the stuff that goes inside a case is all personal preference.  As far as Cases go, I tend to like the ones with a 120mm fan in front and in the back.  Moves lots of air without being loud.
  • IF there were a super high quality MMOG on the market I would spend whatever I had to...$5,000 +

If one day someone makes a high quality Virtual Reality MMOG I'd be happy to shell-out $15,000 - $20,000 for the VR rig and all the gear.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    I use DCII Iterion processors, 3.5gddrII ram, 200gig HD. A current video card. Dont have any problems right now. Even played Vanguard with very little if any chunking. glad i de-subbed that game though!
  • SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    Like gpett said, people waste money on unneeded things, like SLi/Crossfire, and RAID setups, neither of them are needed, and both of them add little to no performance increase. SLi/Crossfire is definetly not worth the cost, unless you have a monitor that is 27+ inches.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• FilipinoFuryFilipinoFury Member Posts: 1,056
    Originally posted by Spathotan

Like gpett said, people waste money on unneeded things, like SLi/Crossfire, and RAID setups, neither of them are needed, and both of them add little to no performance increase. SLi/Crossfire is definetly not worth the cost, unless you have a monitor that is 27+ inches.
    I would'nt say anything larger the 27inches. I would say any resolution higher the 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 and anything higher is where SLI or Crossfire helps.

On Time? On Target? Never Quit?

Agreed, If money is no object and you want to get the absolute best performance then you can consider SLI/Crossfire.  But, do not consider two non-bleeding edge cards for sli/crossfire.  Yeah you do not need sli/crossfire for resolutions 1920X1200 and smaller.

But for 99% of people there is no need to consider sli/crossfire.
  • paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    I'd spend under $1000.  that computer can run any game released and released this year or next.  and instead of wasting 4000 just to have sub par parts in a year or two.  when you can have on par parts bought every other year.

trust me there is stuff more insane and powerful going on with processors right now that dual core or quad core.  early alpha version chips are already measearing 10x more powerfull than the pre-release version  quad cores on bench marks.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• rebal88rebal88 Member Posts: 98
    I am getting this

-NZXT Nemesis Elite Aluminium Case

-AMD Athlon™64 X2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU

-CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS (plus the 3 other 120mm fans)

-Socket AM2)GigaByte GA-M57SLI-S4 nForce 570-SLI Chipset DDR2/800 SATA RAID PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN,IEEE1394,USB2.0,&7.1Audio

-CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

-
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB Powered by EVGA

-320gig HDD

-LiteOn LH-20A1H 20X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology for optical drive

About $1500
  • khang7khang7 Member Posts: 37

hehe, i would accpet anything from alienware. their stuff pwns :P

I have popped into your thread a few times Rebel.  I'll give you some more advice. 

You are wasting your money on water cooling.  Why would you consider it?  You obviously are not going to overclock.   If you were going to overclock you would be getting a C2D processor.

The 8800 GTX is overkill for you since you have stated that you are buying a 1440X900 native resolution monitor.

Why would you pay 1/3 more money for someone to assemble the parts for you? But, it is your money.

P.S. I think you should spend your time reading a few articles online on how easy it is to assemble the parts for your own PC.
    Its all overpriced though. Your really paying for the little colored alien logo... The comp i posted before comes with a 3 year warranty and 24/7 tech support so im good there. Example: My $1500 Desktop will outdo my friends 5 month old almost $6000 alienware laptop. I know laptops are more expensive but if i got a desktop for that much there would be no comparison. They are cool though. (not as cool as my case)

P.S I went with the 8800GTX for the future. I dont want to upgrade for a wile. And what would you suggest for cooling? Is the 3 120mm fans good enough?

Thanks for the advice though. Im putting in my own RAM and Video Card though.
    Originally posted by khang7

hehe, i would accpet anything from alienware. their stuff pwns :P
    Pwns your wallet.  It is no better than anything you can build yourself for 2/3 to 1/2 the price.

Rebal88: Yes, you are not overclocking.  Stock cooling is just fine.
  • MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Originally posted by gpett
    Originally posted by khang7 hehe, i would accpet anything from alienware. their stuff pwns :P
    Pwns your wallet. It is no better than anything you can build yourself for 2/3 to 1/2 the price.

Rebal88: Yes, you are not overclocking. Stock cooling is just fine.

agreed. you can easily build a system half the price with the same specs. (alienware is just dell for gamers =/)

lol you said dell... funny one