Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rejoining the fold

RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Well I just thought that before the rumour mill starts grinding, I would head off the BS at the pass with a small announcement.

I am resigning as a mod due to a combination my increased work comittments outside the site and my deep desire to rejoin the community as a member.

I originally started posting, because I found a community that was thoughtfull, intelligent and well articulated. But Ten Ton Hammer banned me so I came here (joke )....

In all seriousness I have really missed being able to fully contribute to the debates here due to the nature of the restrictions of being a mod. I decided that if I was to reclaim the enjoyment I have missed, I would have to make a choice and I have.

So sometime in the next few days the weight of the staff tag will be lifted from my unworthy shoulders and I can go about learning you noobs a thing or two again, like I used to

My sincere and heartfelt thanks to Jon Wood, Lara, Craig and the management for showing the confidence to put me on and the patience to endure me. My thanks to my fellow staffers, current and former with a special mention to Enigma for motivating me to apply with his professionalism as a mod and Paratrooper, Finwe and Dekron for their guidance.

Last but by no means least my thanks to the community for tolerating my modding style and the PM's sent to me, that showed me at least some people thought I did an ok Job.

I look forward to returning to the masses in the very near future.

Cheers MMORPG.com, your future is bright and I will be around to see it

+-+-+-+-+-+
"MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
http://purepwnage.com
-+-+-+-+-+-+
"Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Welcome back!! May the debates you endure be fruitful in the outcome. And now I can add you to my list of  people to "agree" with just to avoid a ban stick!
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Lawl....

The best way to avoid the ban stick is to post within the rules. If you had read some of the debates between Draenor and I in the past youd know that its possible to have an extremely robust exchange without resorting to insults or inuendo.

Now whether Ill be able to do that indefinately in the future of course remains to be seen

However I have a personal rule that usually helps.... "no more than 3 rum and cokes when posting about politics or religion"

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• noname12345noname12345 Member Posts: 2,267
    Mods participating in debates never bothered me. You're all just bigger targets for rebuttals with your blue colors! 

Yeah well I can take losing the title... but the snappy blue background will be missed 

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

• noname12345noname12345 Member Posts: 2,267
    There, there, let it all out, better out than in. You'll feel better afterwards.

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961
    Originally posted by Razorback
    In all seriousness I have really missed being able to fully contribute to the debates here due to the nature of the restrictions of being a mod.
    In English: "I miss being able to call people idiots"

No more Aussie mods are left. I fear the end of the world is near

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• cornoffcobcornoffcob Member Posts: 860
    Originally posted by ParaTrooper

In all seriousness I have really missed being able to fully contribute to the debates here due to the nature of the restrictions of being a mod.
    In English: "I miss being able to call people idiots"

No more Aussie mods are left. I fear the end of the world is near WTF Mate?

I hope some day we can all put aside our racisms and prejudices and just laugh at people

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

Hehe, now we've got you. One of usss.. Anyway, having modded on other locations, I know how you feel, I think that a lot of mods share this desire. And now that I'm done being thoughtful..

We are the Borg, resistance is futile.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

<moments before I hand Razor's first ban>
    /kneels
    "Thank you Father for the gift I'm about to receive."
    /tar Issue Ban button
    /press Issue Ban button
    /Mr. Burns impression: "Excellent"

^_^

j/k

Good luck and best wishes to your new position!

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    The best way to avoid the ban stick is to post within the rules. If you had read some of the debates between Draenor and I in the past youd know that its possible to have an extremely robust exchange without resorting to insults or inuendo.

Shut up jerk face, you're stupid

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Yeah well I can take losing the title... but the snappy blue background will be missed image

And don't forget that you always got 5 stars as a mmorpg.com member... Probably the worst part...

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Welcome back to the asylum
    Originally posted by Draenor

Ah.... thats better.... Id forgotten how much I missed that

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

Ah.... thats better.... Id forgotten how much I missed that

I like your new little quote...I think i'm gonna have to check and see if Newton's quote about atheism will fit into that space...

edit:  Woot it does!!  Newton  > Dawkins imo!

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

A little known factoid is that he said that AFTER the apple hit him in the head

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

A little known factoid is that he said that AFTER the apple hit him in the head

Touche!

So which did Dawkins say first, your quote, or this one: "The Universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference"

So which is it...elegent, or blind and filled with pitiless indifference...Dawkins should make up his mind about the Universe imo

Well....

If you havnt read God Delusion yet you should.... he really spends quite a bit of time answering both his detractors and his own seemingly contradictory statements in the first  couple of chapters.

Without putting words in his mouth Id say its possible to have it both ways. Id say he would reply with something like "elegance and pittiless indifference are not mutually exclusive, the most obvious example would be something like the behaviour of a top predator like a shark or a leopard, both elegant and pitilessly indifferent all at once."

I have gone from being (as you know) a very committed agnostic, to a committed aetheist from reading his work. I always saw agnosticism as the more intelligent position since it revolves around the notion of not dismissing the unprovable. However the arguments for the existence of any deity are so wafer thin on close examination that it is not the 50/50 I always beleived it to be. Indeed the likelyhood of a creator is so desperately remote as to be not even worthy of discussion once you understand the very rational and logical arguments that make it so.

All I encourage anyone to do is read the GD with the same open mind I held when reading the Bible and the Qu'ran. Any one of us can claim to be an inquiring mind. However unless you are prepared to entertain information that challenges your notions of right and wrong, you are just giving lip service and you may as well stick with your one book and not even bother to think anymore. It is that notion I find most terrifying and insulting about faith. The certainty of the rightness in the complete abscence of any critical thought.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

• Beh, the God Delusion. I'm already crazy, so I get to believe in deities free of charge. Take that Dawkins.

Welcome back, Razorback. I look forward to your re-inclusion in the endless stream of religious, political, and Starcraft debates siphoning through this board.
    Originally posted by Sawtooth

Beh, the God Delusion. I'm already crazy, so I get to believe in deities free of charge. Take that Dawkins.

Welcome back, Razorback. I look forward to your re-inclusion in the endless stream of religious, political, and Starcraft debates siphoning through this board.

Well if you think my position on religion could be regarded as heretical then get this...

I never liked Starcraft *prepares to be stoned to death*

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

• Originally posted by Razorback

Beh, the God Delusion. I'm already crazy, so I get to believe in deities free of charge. Take that Dawkins.

Well if you think my position on religion could be regarded as heretical then get this...

It's not my concern if you can't enjoy rednecks in space. Haven't you ever read the Terran backstory? All the undesirables, the criminals and freaky types, rounded up, put on ships, sent far far away to penal colony existence....sound familiar Aussie?

:P
  • nexus42nexus42 Member Posts: 288
    Congratulations! I don't know you, but welcome back to the real world. I, too, have been a mod for a few sites. It's lose/lose because if you enjoy the conversations you have to restrain yourself because you're the professional, and if you don't enjoy the conversations then why are you there to begin with?

At first being a mod/admin/whatever  is kinda cool because hey, who doesn't like the ability to enforce their perception of the way things should be ? But I think any rational man eventually comes to the same realization:

The internet is not serious business.  And internet forums even less so.

The best forum mods are the ones who are genuinely charming and diplomatic, the kind who want to see resolution without hurt feelings, who long for the community to thrive and prosper like a baby goat suckling from a tiger's teat.

Those guys and gals tend to last less than a month.

Then you got the rest of them. The ones who haven't quite learned that anonymous electric community gatherings tend to cater to the lowest common denominator as they grow in size , and that being in charge of a bunch of retards doesn't make you cool, it just makes you the head retard.

Those guys will do these jobs till they die of old age. And they are legion.

Sure, theres always going to be people who kiss your ass when youse gots' da banstick, but they're not really the type you care to associate with if you have even a modicum of self esteem.

And as for groupies? I've been in charge of some might fine gaming sites, and was shocked to learn that the chicks simply weren't impressed. Not even the slower ones.

Unbelievable. I know. No free booze, either.

So being a forum mod in most cases is really little more than diaper duty for the idiots who wander in, fuck up your zen, and cause drama. And you do this for free...

Without someone putting a gun to your kid's head...

Like I said, congratulations :).

...Pika

It is that notion I find most terrifying and insulting about faith. The certainty of the rightness in the complete abscence of any critical thought.

Certainty of rightness kinda gets to me as well...see, I'm not someone who will tell you that I'm 100% positive about my faith.  Why won't I do that?  Because I'm rarely 100% sure of anything.  I do not, however, let that doubt cloud my judgement in doing what is right as a person and as a Christian.  What I find interesting about your assertion is that you yourself, as well as Dawkins, are two of the most sure people I have ever encountered regarding their faith, the only difference is that it's a faith in naturalistic processes that allowed the Universe and life to arrive at where it is today.  You find religious faith terrifying and insulting, but suppose I find your anti religious faith terrifying and insulting?  What happens then?

Okay you know what...I can tolerate that you're an atheist...and I can tolerate that you're a big fan of Dawkins...but to say "I never liked Starcraft" is like saying "i've never been a big fan of icecream"

HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE ICECREAM YOU IDIOT!!!

It's not my concern if you can't enjoy rednecks in space. Haven't you ever read the Terran backstory? All the undesirables, the criminals and freaky types, rounded up, put on ships, sent far far away to penal colony existence....sound familiar Aussie?

:P

hahahahahahhahaha

kaboom!!!

What was that noise?

HE JUST DROPPED A BOMB ON YOU ZOMG ELOHEL!!!

It is that notion I find most terrifying and insulting about faith. The certainty of the rightness in the complete abscence of any critical thought.

Certainty of rightness kinda gets to me as well...

You find religious faith terrifying and insulting, but suppose I find your anti religious faith terrifying and insulting?  What happens then?

Firstly... I think the main difference is... 99.99% of scientific minds are not only prepared to entertain the notion we may be wrong (and this certainly includes Dawkins). We would prefer eveidence to emerge that we ARE indeed wrong and get the debate over with so we can move on to the next question. On the other hand 99.99% of religious people are not only not prepared to entertain the notion they may be wrong, the very suggestion is the antithesis of faith which kills off any liklehood of finding the truth of thier beliefs one way or the others.

As for the other point well thats easy.... you just have me executed as an infidel.... problem solved.

And yeah we are a penaly colony... but you should see the size of the Average Ozzie Penal

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+