Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Caribbean or Granado Espada?

LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Avast ye swabs! Both Pirates of the Caribbean Online and Granado Espada: Sword of the New World has both offered beta today. Which do you think is a more fun game?

Comments

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

GE is better. there is no question about that. PotC seem to me as if it will loose a lot of the originality.

EDIT: btw, pirates of the burning sea is also a piraty game

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    I bought the GE pre-order, so I guess I'd better give it a trial this weekend...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    I signed up for both ..that way I can write an unbiased review of both games... both games seems to have interesting things and features to offer.
  • HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I played for 10 minutes today, saw that everyone looked the same, and then logged out to uninstall.

GE looks great and feels neat. Looking the same as everyone else is just not my thing so it's not for me.

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• AZAlex86AZAlex86 Member UncommonPosts: 157
    they are both absolutely terrible

PoTC i cant even describe how dull and boring it is

GE is lineage 2 + guild war's redheaded stepchild...they set up the controls to make botting easier. It's laughable
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Granado Espada is great, everything is done really well...

Except one thing. "Patrol mode". While activating patrol mode, all of your characters will just play for themself. Even your scout heals your characters when needed. Sounds familar? It is, because its the exact same thing as botting.

This totally and completely kills the game. Everything else is fine, the graphics are great, the classes are fun, pvp combat actually takes skill and strategy, there are plenty of areas to explore, the music is great, but that botting feature is just rediculous.

K2 network said they are planning to change a few things to the game. I REALLY hope they put a timer on the patrol mode feature.
  • tirallumtirallum Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Granado Espada is great, everything is done really well...Except one thing. "Patrol mode". While activating patrol mode, all of your characters will just play for themself. Even your scout heals your characters when needed. Sounds familar? It is, because its the exact same thing as botting.This totally and completely kills the game. Everything else is fine, the graphics are great, the classes are fun, pvp combat actually takes skill and strategy, there are plenty of areas to explore, the music is great, but that botting feature is just rediculous.K2 network said they are planning to change a few things to the game. I REALLY hope they put a timer on the patrol mode feature.

A lot of ex-Lineage2 players will feel at home in GE ;) Specially those that run catacombs parties, jejeje. The funny thing is that in GE they are playing the game "as intended" xD

Speaking about the game GE, I've been in the open beta for a pair of days (up to level 15) and, as was expected, there is a *very* big lack of communication and socialization between players in the game. Practically nobody speaks in the general chat (and why should they?). The zone where I stayed was really full of players. Full like in "please let me kill a monster", where you run and run until you find a free spot :D Whoaaa how many people, and the servers were holding pretty good, just a bit of lag when loading the other chars' info. But I felt like in a solo game, for two days. I could be playing in the japanese server and i would do as well (-_-)y-~~

About the chat interface, while it is very simple (a la Lineage2 style), it only allows to "speak", within a short range. To shout so that it reaches the whole area you have to use tokens :/

The graphics are very good (the artistic side weights a lot) while low tech demanding, the music is even better, the gameplay is simple but very hard to master :D when trying to micromanage your characters. The skill system allows to personalize the abilities of your char. Did I say I really love the dress models? Of course it's a kill-kill-kill game that catters to the millions of MUonline and Lineage fans around the world, with big raids and PVP promised at high level. It even has a few quests with not bad rewards (usually a considerable chunk of XP).

I hope it will change at higher level, but at this stage you cannot even flag against someone else (thought I got invited to a pair of duels -they happen within an instance-, lol). I won't speak more about this since I don't really know how the game will change in a few levels, but I'm supposed to be in the "PK-enabled server" and never seen such :/ Now imagine bots in Lineage2 without the possibility of being trained or PKd, and you have GE? I hope not for the mother of God.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Except one thing. "Patrol mode". While activating patrol mode, all of your characters will just play for themself. Even your scout heals your characters when needed. Sounds familar? It is, because its the exact same thing as botting.

This totally and completely kills the game. Everything else is fine, the graphics are great, the classes are fun, pvp combat actually takes skill and strategy, there are plenty of areas to explore, the music is great, but that botting feature is just rediculous.

K2 network said they are planning to change a few things to the game. I REALLY hope they put a timer on the patrol mode feature.
    I tend to agree.  The patrol mode is ... well it's quite shocking the first time you play it.  I was surprised that you could just plop in one place, turn it on and walk away, basically.  Your party will auto-attack and auto-heal -- it's quite amazing.

The rest of the game is good.  It will remind many of other Asian games in terms of graphical style and the emphasis on free-form killing of monsters over the typical Western quest-driven games we've seen lately.  The particular twist of GE is that you control a party of your "family members" (which sounds more like GW than it really is), and that right there leads to a lot of alternative strategies and thinking that is quite different from many other MMOs where you are one character all the time. 

It's well worth a look for anyone looking for a break from the existing games.
    Originally posted by tirallum

A lot of ex-Lineage2 players will feel at home in GE ;) Specially those that run catacombs parties, jejeje. The funny thing is that in GE they are playing the game "as intended" xD

Speaking about the game GE, I've been in the open beta for a pair of days (up to level 15) and, as was expected, there is a *very* big lack of communication and socialization between players in the game. Practically nobody speaks in the general chat (and why should they?). The zone where I stayed was really full of players. Full like in "please let me kill a monster", where you run and run until you find a free spot :D Whoaaa how many people, and the servers were holding pretty good, just a bit of lag when loading the other chars' info. But I felt like in a solo game, for two days. I could be playing in the japanese server and i would do as well (-_-)y-~~

About the chat interface, while it is very simple (a la Lineage2 style), it only allows to "speak", within a short range. To shout so that it reaches the whole area you have to use tokens :/

The graphics are very good (the artistic side weights a lot) while low tech demanding, the music is even better, the gameplay is simple but very hard to master :D when trying to micromanage your characters. The skill system allows to personalize the abilities of your char. Did I say I really love the dress models? Of course it's a kill-kill-kill game that catters to the millions of MUonline and Lineage fans around the world, with big raids and PVP promised at high level. It even has a few quests with not bad rewards (usually a considerable chunk of XP).

I hope it will change at higher level, but at this stage you cannot even flag against someone else (thought I got invited to a pair of duels -they happen within an instance-, lol). I won't speak more about this since I don't really know how the game will change in a few levels, but I'm supposed to be in the "PK-enabled server" and never seen such :/ Now imagine bots in Lineage2 without the possibility of being trained or PKd, and you have GE? I hope not for the mother of God.

Because you need to be family level 6 (thats family level, not character level) to attack and be attacked. The system works similar as in Lineage 2. When you attack someone, you're in "baron" mode. If you get killed in Baron mode, you can drop items.
    Does anyone have any links about the history of this title?  I don't mean the in-game story, I mean the release history and so forth.
    To my knowledge:

1: Hakkyu Kim created Gravity corp. and created Ragnarok Online, one of the most succesful and most popular MMORPG's ever,

2: Hakkyu Kim had a disagreement with the CEO and Samsung, he left Gravity corp and created his own company again, IMC games.

3: IMC received 56 million USD from hanbitsoft to create Granado Espada, Hanbitsoft would act as publisher.

4: IMC created its own engine and the game, development took 3 years.

5: Granado Espada was the most hyped game of 2005 - 2006

6: Granado Espada released, It became a big success in asia and won the Best game award in Korea as well as the award for best graphics.

7: Subscribtion numbers started declining in all regions of asia (Possibly due to the low content avaible at that time, There were few maps and no PVP system, aside from the duels and the arena) and the game went from a subscribtion based mmorpg to an Item shop mmorpg in all asian regions

8: Game is apparently doing quite good again.

9: IAH bough the rights for Granado Espada South East Asia. IAH has a contract with E - Games. IAH will publish the game in Singapore, E-Games in the philippines

10: K2 network bought the rights for Granado Espada North America & Europe, Renamed the game to Sword of the New World: Granado Espada. Although IAH also allows NA/EU players, there are some differences. For one, IAH is trying to stay loyal to the korean version as much as possible. K2 network on the other hand wants to fully adapt the game to the western market, they are planning to improve customizations, control, balance, more enhanced storyline and new voice overs.

11: Granado Espada Singapore enters closed beta, running on the old version 1.8

12: GE Singapore closes closed beta

13: 2 months later GE singapore opens the open beta, running on version 2.0 which has 3 times as much content as version 1.8

Thats about it.

To my knowledge:

1: Hakkyu Kim created Gravity corp. and created Ragnarok Online, one of the most succesful and most popular MMORPG's ever,

2: Hakkyu Kim had a disagreement with the CEO and Samsung, he left Gravity corp and created his own company again, IMC games.

3: IMC received 56 million USD from hanbitsoft to create Granado Espada, Hanbitsoft would act as publisher.

4: IMC created its own engine and the game, development took 3 years.

5: Granado Espada was the most hyped game of 2005 - 2006

6: Granado Espada released, It became a big success in asia and won the Best game award in Korea as well as the award for best graphics.

7: Subscribtion numbers started declining in all regions of asia (Possibly due to the low content avaible at that time, There were few maps and no PVP system, aside from the duels and the arena) and the game went from a subscribtion based mmorpg to an Item shop mmorpg in all asian regions

8: Game is apparently doing quite good again.

9: IAH bough the rights for Granado Espada South East Asia. IAH has a contract with E - Games. IAH will publish the game in Singapore, E-Games in the philippines

10: K2 network bought the rights for Granado Espada North America & Europe, Renamed the game to Sword of the New World: Granado Espada. Although IAH also allows NA/EU players, there are some differences. For one, IAH is trying to stay loyal to the korean version as much as possible. K2 network on the other hand wants to fully adapt the game to the western market, they are planning to improve customizations, control, balance, more enhanced storyline and new voice overs.

11: Granado Espada Singapore enters closed beta, running on the old version 1.8

12: GE Singapore closes closed beta

13: 2 months later GE singapore opens the open beta, running on version 2.0 which has 3 times as much content as version 1.8

Thats about it.

Thanks for that -- very informative.
  • atkafighteratkafighter Member Posts: 71
    Granado Espada is one of the best games I've come across in a while.  I feel that this is how the online Final Fantasy should have been.