Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brad Speaks!

Comments

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Originally posted by Cor4x

I had this big post all ready to smack ol themanthemantheman in the head for all the things he did wrong, but after reading his post, I don't have to.

He played it by the numbers:

Shop around for a job while your friends sink.
    Blame EVERYONE but yourself. The Zoo Tycoon people? *chuckle* come on.
    Take absolutely no credit for what happened.
    Tell the employees that got royally, rudely, and embarrassingly fired in the PARKING LOT that you're "real sorry" *snicker* that they got the boot, but not sorry enough to give up one dollar of your salary.
    Be chickenshit enough not to show up because someone (or maybe a group) would have beaten the shit out of him.
    Pull out the "I'm really a Christan and stuff" card. Oh man. I hope hell has a pot and a dog with a pitchfork waiting for your ass.
    Contort even believable possibility beyond reason: miker$of DARED to want to know where their $30m went? How dare they? They wanted timelines and planning and stuff? All  you wanted was to drive your Ferrari around and look cool, eh?
    NEVER EVER associate with the unwashed masses : "I think they had a big hot dog and burger cookout and let everyone go early." What an ass.

Be a super-flake with the depth of filo-dough: "I am a Christian so this probably goes back to me seeing 'Deities and Demigods' and kind of being bummed about that even though I still play [D&D]." Perhaps he'd have hoped that ol' jehova's stats were there?
    "I believe very much in spreading the gospel of Christianity through ones actions." such as lie like a bastard, screw over your friends, run like a coward, gorge yourself on their misfortune, spew fake pity, and be a sniveling flake? On second thought he does sound like most Christians I know.
    Blabber a bunch of stupid bullshit and never say anything: "I honestly don't know when it started. I probably started using... I think it had to do with something I commented on - why some games - well, you can tell if a development team really had their hearts in it or not, regardless of the type of game it may be. I think for any game, you need a vision. Either a visionary or visionaries and if you don't have that, you kind of meander around and I don't think you get nearly as strong of a game. Or anything. A piece of art. Anything creative. Unless there's a strong vision. My guess is I was doing a long-winded post back in 1999." The translation to this is: "I'm a whiny and flaky little bastard and now everyone is picking on me about the "Vision" thing, and I suck, so I want to try to play that down so the big people won't keep kicking my ass and taking my lunch money."

There really is no end to the amount of stupidity and entertainment and no-speak in the original article. I fail to see how anyone could stand up for themanthemantheman after that.

And I thought about saying that I would personally piss-in-effigy on anyone that would play any game with this idiot attached, but... in foresight, I don't really have to. You'll get what is coming to ya.

And jesus christ, will no one please give this idiot or kunster (the other moron) any other design jobs? Hell, go down to your local gaming (P&P or wargaming) shop and point at some random scruffy looking people. They'll do much better at "Visioning".

LOL. Someone needs to etch that onto his Ferarri.

• Chilly_WaterChilly_Water Member Posts: 24
    Epic derail with the LOTRO spin. Well done. You're hired for  Brad's next project.
  • BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by Porven

Vanguard, I played Zoo Tycoon 2.

I knew Zoo Tycoon 2;  Zoo Tycoon 2 was a friend of mine.

Vanguard, you're no Zoo Tycoon 2.

ding ding ding

We have a winner!

Okay mods, you can lock the thread now...that summed it all up right there.

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020
    Damn it I left, what am I doing here?

I don't care about Vanguard (I just don't like the fans) but really, what the hell is this nonsense?

The lower level people were put in charge of our project were people who didn't have any MMO experience. They had done Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2. We tried very hard to bring them up to speed and with open arms to show them the differences and similarities between developing an MMO and a single player game - the scale and things like that. ... When you have the Zoo Tycoon team assigned to you...We tried to explain how MMO development is different from Zoo Tycoon

I know that one, adding Zoo Tycoon over and over in an attempt to discredit them. I got news for you, seeing what ended up coming out if they went back to their bosses and had funding pulled then the "kiddie game makers" have shown themselves to be the most professional people in this entire production.

the upper manager is in charge of your project and in charge of launching the 360... he must have had ten seconds a day to bother thinking about Vanguard. As there are - and I don't want to sound bitter - in large corporate entities, they make changes. When that change occurred, our relationship started going downhill.

Yeah, because everyone knows Microsoft is only capable of focusing on one project at a time.

They wanted detailed schedules going out for months that were fairly inflexible. ... They wanted everything systematically and that it would take exactly this amount of time, this amount of art assets, and this amount of people to make, say, a dungeon... There's not a lot of flexibility there... They frowned upon us needing more time or money. When we'd ask for it, it was considered that we were making errors. Each time that occurred the micromanagement would increase. More and more Microsoft people would come down and try to analyze what was going on. Where we were "messing up." What they could do to "help us."

Welcome to the world of business. You'll find the people who are ponying up the dough have a tendency to do that. Especially when they aren't seeing much in return.

f13.net: But one?!

Brad McQuaid:: No. A small team that was very close to the dev team and use the massive facility at Microsoft. When that relationship went south and we were scrambling for money, we simply did not have the room to grow.

Yeah because it would be near impossible to find technically-minded people who wanted to enter the gaming industry at the ground floor for a pittance to live on. How can anyone buy into this shit?

And I just have to add...

Originally posted by Porven

Vanguard, I played Zoo Tycoon 2.

I knew Zoo Tycoon 2;  Zoo Tycoon 2 was a friend of mine.

Vanguard, you're no Zoo Tycoon 2.

Good one.
  • SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Everytime he opens his mouth I want to stick my fist in it.

Brad is totally incapable of ever telling the truth about anything.

Oh and it wasn't 30 million it was 42 million, never did get who told who it was 30, but my hubby  talked to Frank Brod over at MS, and he says it was 42.

Brad pocketed 6 million right off the top and MS got 6 million back in options ( worthless now ), but that kinda equals 12  of 42 maybe that's how they do their math.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Our interpretation of that early on is that they don't understand MMO development.

ok there Pot

because obviously we couldn't ship the game in an unready state

Um... but you... oh never mind.

I think for any game, you need a vision. Either a visionary or visionaries and if you don't have that, you kind of meander around and I don't think you get nearly as strong of a game.

That explains oh so much.

You know, we worked months and months -

Problem is you did it over the coarse of YEARS and YEARS

I think it's a great game. I think it has huge potential.

So does a big ugly rock at the top of a hill.

I'm sorry that I wasn't there the day that people were let go. But honestly, these months have been very, very heartbreaking for me. Emotionally I couldn't have handled it. I would've been sitting there bawling my head off.

Oh Brad, I feel so bad for your suffering. Do you need a hug?

That doesn't make it any easier for someone who lost their job. It's got to be a horrible thing.

Oh... my... god... You weren't there because you knew someone would beat the shit out of you, right?

I took the role of CEO very seriously

Almost as seriously as the role of Jaxy the half-elf ranger.

Wow Brad. Just... wow.

Originally posted by Chessack
    I think that stuff was irrelevant and I wished the f13 interviewer had asked him more important questions like "How the F-- did you guys build this game without a scripting toolkit??"C

To which Brad would answer "A what now? I think there was a toolkit in the closet down the hallway when you walked into the building where I used to stop sometimes and tie my shoes. Then I got slip ons, but I had to be careful because they didn't have very good traction and the carpeting was slippery I tell you! Oh look at the time! I'm late for church."

Originally posted by sepher
    Originally posted by Hoobley
    I blame Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2 for Vanguard's failings.
    Sadly, all I can think about with all the mentioning of Zoo Tycoon and Microsoft breathing down Sigil's employees necks; they should've at least used the opportunity to ask about how to fix the problem of Vanguard's animals walking backwards.

LMFAO

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637
    Originally posted by Coldmeat

The best part of the whole interview is the fact that he, as founder, and CEO of Sigil, had ZERO FUCKING CLUE how his company was being run. Hiring practices? Durrr, I dunno. I could see with a fortune 500 company CEO claiming ignorance of what HR was doing. But a company of 100 people, with NO HR? And the CEO claims zero clue as to how the fucking company he was supposedly running was being run????????????????
    Color me stupi-fucking-fied.
    Indeed, to me this is the part that shows he had no clue at all what he was doing. 100 people is not that much, it should not be hard at all to have an overview of the situation...which is why I think he might still be a good game designer but not a good leader at all! And if he is going to start another company he should hire someone like Smedley to run things for him (just saying Smedley because even if he fucked up with NGE he can run business and there are a lot of people like him).
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Bah, he should rather have shut up.

Blaming Zoo Tycoon and MS? Maybe I should rather buy Zoo Tycoon then! Pathetic.

Oh and he was SO emphatic and emotional. Geez, then dont the heck start a company being responsible for 100 developers!

Somehow I wonder why the f13-guy asked him so many questions about MS and relationship and that stuff? Or Brads religion! WTH? Ya, thats sure what everyone had a burning interest, Brads religion... Bah. There are a lot of questions many ppl had and few of them were asked. What a wasted opportunity. I know the f13 guy is held in high esteem, and maybe Brad didnt agree to other questions, but this interview is 90% a waste of time to read. Were where the really interesting questions?

- in what way do you think VG should have been different?

- do you think VG was too hardcore?

- what do you say to ppl who left because they found VG cold and boring?

- what impact has WOW?

- why were those who critizsed VG in beta NEVER been listened to?

- why did you not make one thing and complete that instead of making EQ3 with the content of 12 addons right away and thus not finish a single part?

- why did you not listen to your developers suggestions?

- why did you not show up in your office? can it really take every day in 9 months to post in forusm and find money?

TONS of burning questions not asked. Pft...

Oh and Brad, read my lips: NEVER WORK IN GAMING INDUSTRY AGAIN.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Nikoz78
    Get off Brad's case. He is an artist and they are often misunderstood. He just explained some key things that make a lot of sense.Focus on your hate and your little desires to belittle others. Kick him while he's down, it's easy. Negative creeps.Something to consider: Who are YOU (any of you)? McQuaid has made some big splashes and taken some big balled risks. What have YOU ever done that will ever make a difference on world culture? Money is evil. Paint it any way you want but it's PURE EVIL.There is no focus on creating ART in our society anymore. You can't put a time frame on creating art. The creative impulse simply does not work that way. These companies are after your money - they want a great game ONLY because it will make them money. Once again, the pursuit of MONEY destroys something that could have been GREAT. EPIC. A real work of PASSION that is behind all great works of art.If money is all people understand or care about, they should go get some culture (and some SOUL).In the end of all this unfolding mess one thing will be clear:Brad McQuaid IS a true Visionary. An misunderstood artist and a flawed genius.Perhaps even not fully recognized in his own time./peace & respect

IF this isn't a joke...

Brad gave up the right to call himself an "artist" the minute he became a CEO and held peoples livelyhoods in his hand. You can't have it both ways. You can be the free spirit or you can be the boss. Try to be both and you just fuck over folks who don't deserve it.

No, I've never done anything as "great" as Brad. Then again I've never done anything that left 50 people wondering how they'd pay the rent. FUCK BRAD

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259
    I'm amazed Microsoft chose to focus on Xbox, rather than giving Brad another 30 million and 5 more years to develop VG. WTF WERE THEY THINKING? 
  • Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910
    Originally posted by magpie1412

Or This.....

1. It supports Anti-Antiliasing a six year old graphics hardware technology.

2. Its a "Multithreaded" Application Code Base, it actually utilizes modern technology and supports SLI/Crossfire

3. It Utilizes Shader Model 3,

4. It had a solid Client during its later Beta Life cycle...so good in fact some beta players were willing to buy it as a release product four months before release.

5. In House Engine designed from the ground up with supporting tools for development of MMORPG environments...NOT a First Person  Shooter Engine basterdized as a code level with in house compilers and larger than manageable chunk sizes.

6. It had twice as many successful pre order to sales within 2 weeks of launch than Vanguard has seen Complete Box Sales, in its first four months of live.

7. It scales in a way with Existing Hardware, that Vanguard just Doesnt.

8. Turbine ARE NOT the ones selling there only Assett as a business to SOE at this time.

9. These games are black and white examples of how an MMORPG release should be done on a business level and what concepts and concepts of design should be stuck too...for example the QA team at Turbine for the lotro project dev cycle was the size of the design and development teams put together and it "really" does show.

Witty response.

And who cares about any of that? LOTRO is a goofy game. The IP attracts people, so what.

Besides, my wife and I, as well as my cousin and a good friend all have good gaming rigs. Other than server side lag now and then, we all have zero problems playing Vanguard on max (and I mean MAX).

Also, just because a game sells more does not make it 'right.' Hell, candy ass pop music sells big time, but that does not mean its not shallow.

Also, I'm done with this topic as I don't want to derail the thread (seriously). I am a huge LOTR nerd just think the MMO is weak. SWG 2, or what ever they call the next Star Wars MMO, will be a WoW clone too.

I respect your opinions, lets leave it at that.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Another poster claims a source at MS says Brad got $6 million up front to do this game. That may or may not be the number, but there would have been a large number. So riddle me this. If Brad's boo hooing over how poorly he feels about his employees being fired is real, is he going to reach into his own wallet and personally pay them anything out of that $6 million? Does he feel bad enough to show it? Of course not, and that, once again, is an example of Brad's fundamental duplicity.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637
    No one knows how wealthy Brad is...but another question could be, would you reach into your own wallet to pay laid off employees? Can't be many businessmen who does that even when they are rich and have messed up a project.
  • AbraxosAbraxos Member Posts: 412

Originally posted by magpie1412

Or This.....

1. It supports Anti-Antiliasing a six year old graphics hardware technology.

2. Its a "Multithreaded" Application Code Base, it actually utilizes modern technology and supports SLI/Crossfire

3. It Utilizes Shader Model 3,

4. It had a solid Client during its later Beta Life cycle...so good in fact some beta players were willing to buy it as a release product four months before release.

5. In House Engine designed from the ground up with supporting tools for development of MMORPG environments...NOT a First Person  Shooter Engine basterdized as a code level with in house compilers and larger than manageable chunk sizes.

6. It had twice as many successful pre order to sales within 2 weeks of launch than Vanguard has seen Complete Box Sales, in its first four months of live.

7. It scales in a way with Existing Hardware, that Vanguard just Doesnt.

8. Turbine ARE NOT the ones selling there only Assett as a business to SOE at this time.

9. These games are black and white examples of how an MMORPG release should be done on a business level and what concepts and concepts of design should be stuck too...for example the QA team at Turbine for the lotro project dev cycle was the size of the design and development teams put together and it "really" does show.

Witty response.

And who cares about any of that? LOTRO is a goofy game. The IP attracts people, so what.

Besides, my wife and I, as well as my cousin and a good friend all have good gaming rigs. Other than server side lag now and then, we all have zero problems playing Vanguard on max (and I mean MAX).

Also, just because a game sells more does not make it 'right.' Hell, candy ass pop music sells big time, but that does not mean its not shallow.

Also, I'm done with this topic as I don't want to derail the thread (seriously). I am a huge LOTR nerd just think the MMO is weak. SWG 2, or what ever they call the next Star Wars MMO, will be a WoW clone too.

I respect your opinions, lets leave it at that.

I hate to say this but the only chance of a non-WOW clone is if WAR or AoC do exceptionally well with the whole PvP side. Otherwise every game for the next 15 years will be WOW clones. You know why? Because Sigil screwed up Vanguard and SOE screwed up SWG and Farlan conned people for Dark and Light. Any big hardcore sandbox open ended highly developed combative system game that has ever been promised has failed since EQI because people forget to test these games and push them out the door unfinished and ugly. Most casuals might play a hardcore game but not if the hardcore is a buggy empty mess.

So remember when your putting down LoTRs online or WOW and wishing for that other game that big huge fat failures like Brad's Baby is why you will continue to see WOW ripoffs untill someone gets a clue and implements a challenging non-linear game that doesn't sux.

I would buy a game with more depth than WOW with bigger challenges as long as those challenges don't include trying to make the stupid game run well on a mid-high end PC.

• WobblebobWobblebob Member Posts: 67
    So he's gone from CEO of a large MMO to the Community Rep, reduced to just posting updates on forums... I guess SOE saw his only strengths. How the mighty have fallen.
  • WobblebobWobblebob Member Posts: 67

And the only game thats going to be a real threat to WoW for the next few years...

...will be annouced tomorrow. (May 19th) 

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Just dont touch anything from this guy anymore, crap....

RIP Orc Choppa

Originally posted by Wobblebob

So he's gone from CEO of a large MMO to the Community Rep, reduced to just posting updates on forums... I guess SOE saw his only strengths. How the mighty have fallen.

The funny thing is he absoulutely sucks at posting updates to forums.

• Thruout the whole thing, he mainly posted his spills only to FOH instead of the affiliate sites that were made specifically for VG.
    • His posts we're extremely long winded and most of the time said nothing
    • When he did give any information, it was normally extensive excuses for why the game wasn't up to par.
    • In many of those excuse fests, he yanked on other games such as LOTRs, WOW and AoC (Oh and Zoo Tycoon hehe)
    • He made numerous claims about the game that never saw the light of day and ticked off the fanbase.
    • He called the game a 3rd generation game and a Triple A title game even when he knew it was not going to be anything revolutionary.

SOE are idiots if they keep letting him post his dribble to the masses. He has no clue about the game. I doubt he has even played it since Beta 2. I can see him promising that the expansion will be awesome and will be released next week while the guys in the trenches are still trying to fix the mess that was the original.

And the only game thats going to be a real threat to WoW for the next few years...

I don't think any game will be a threat to WOW alone. The idea of a WOW-killer is mythical. Instead WOW will slowly fade to average numbers as MMORPG after MMORPG begin to release with better graphics, better quests, better gameplay, more depth etc. AoC might get 800,000 and WAR might get a million and LoTRs might swipe another million.

WOW hit polished and flashy in a time when most MMORPGs were dull and boring grindfests. Word of mouth traveled and it established a huge monopoly. I doubt we will ever see that kind of dominance ever again. Things will slowly even out to several 1 million subscriber games, a bunch of 500,000 thousand games, and the twenty 100,000 games on the SOE Station Pass.

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    Originally posted by Abraxos

I don't think any game will be a threat to WOW alone. The idea of a WOW-killer is mythical. Instead WOW will slowly fade to average numbers as MMORPG after MMORPG begin to release with better graphics, better quests, better gameplay, more depth etc. AoC might get 800,000 and WAR might get a million and LoTRs might swipe another million.

WOW hit polished and flashy in a time when most MMORPGs were dull and boring grindfests. Word of mouth traveled and it established a huge monopoly. I doubt we will ever see that kind of dominance ever again. Things will slowly even out to several 1 million subscriber games, a bunch of 500,000 thousand games, and the twenty 100,000 games of the SOE Station Pass.

Agreed, Abraxos, nothing can "kill" what became the standard for today's MMO's.  World of Warcraft will fade and decrease in subscription through attrition of vast numbers of choices now with games.

I truly respect what Blizzard was able to accomplish and look forward to the future of this form of entertainment!

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Shayde

Originally posted by JDexter

Get off Brad's case. He is an artist and they are often misunderstood.
    He just explained some key things that make a lot of sense.
    Focus on your hate and your little desires to belittle others. Kick him while he's down, it's easy. Negative creeps.
    Something to consider: Who are YOU (any of you)? McQuaid has made some big splashes and taken some big balled risks. What have YOU ever done that will ever make a difference on world culture?
    Money is evil. Paint it any way you want but it's PURE EVIL.
    There is no focus on creating ART in our society anymore. You can't put a time frame on creating art. The creative impulse simply does not work that way. These companies are after your money - they want a great game ONLY because it will make them money.
    Once again, the pursuit of MONEY destroys something that could have been GREAT. EPIC. A real work of PASSION that is behind all great works of art.
    If money is all people understand or care about, they should go get some culture (and some SOUL).
    In the end of all this unfolding mess one thing will be clear:
    Brad McQuaid IS a true Visionary. An misunderstood artist and a flawed genius.
    Perhaps even not fully recognized in his own time.
    /peace & respect

This has got to be a joke, right?  Forgot the smileys and /sacasm tags.

If it's not a joke, then you are a scary person.

A person with balls would have been at the firings, standing up in front of the people who he was supposed to be leading.

Oh it's gotta be a joke. It's the funniest thing I've read all month.

Genius? Really? Really Really?  If he's a genius, the term has lost all meaning.

Visionary? Nearsighted-visionary maybe.

Oh my GAWD that post was funny.  

So Shayde,

Any chance you might re-do your avatar and sig now? I'm sure Smed is the devil but thru his brilliance he has given us a sacrificial lamb that tops any of Smed's evilness, at least on the surface?

How about a picture of Firona Vie holding a sign up that says "You're in our Welfare line now!" and an avatar of McQuaid with a "Terrence and Phillip" mouth constantly spewing out BS?

Nice suggestions, but ya gotta stick with the classics.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

WOW hit polished and flashy in a time when most MMORPGs were dull and boring grindfests. Word of mouth traveled and it established a huge monopoly. I doubt we will ever see that kind of dominance ever again. Things will slowly even out to several 1 million subscriber games, a bunch of 500,000 thousand games, and the twenty 100,000 games on the SOE Station Pass.

People said the same thing about Everquest during its prime, so I think you are pretty spot on.  Eventually something will come along to redefine the MMO scene again.  I'm guessing it will be 4th gen since the 3rd generation era lasted 2 months.

Originally posted by Daffid011

People said the same thing about Everquest during its prime, so I think you are pretty spot on.  Eventually something will come along to redefine the MMO scene again.  I'm guessing it will be 4th gen since the 3rd generation era lasted 2 months.

Not sure if 3rd gen has arrived yet. Everyone from EQ2 to Vanguard has claimed all these supposed 3rd generation things that would set their games apart from the first batch. Most notably both EQ2 and Vanguard promised better AI, ship battles, sky battles, better faction set up and all sorts of things that never make it. In the end everyone ran out of time and then just tried to WOWize their game to compete.

I imagine we will see big strides in combat and PVP with WAR and AoC and somewhere somebody is hopefully figuring out how to make PvE more meaniful and less linear without the grind being blatantly obvious as well. Not sure what game that will be though.