Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The differences between the servers?

EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

I heard that there were differences between the servers but I don't know what they are really. I heard one has less gold then the others and one has a more focus on politics between the guilds. What does this actually mean?

Will you be pked less in the focused on guild politics then the other? I understand this is a PvP games but there is always the trouble of walking out of NPC cities only to be pked by waiting players or out with a group and be destoryed by extremely high level players. Do any of the differences in servers make any difference when it comes to things like this?

Also since there are different servers, is there any chance they would add non-pvp server?

I was afraid to ask this cause I didn't want to be attacked. I guess I just have this bad impression of what type of people pure and free for all PvP games attract. Anyway I remember playing back when the game first came out, for the first month and quit(due to the lag and so many other problems). The world was great, as was the back story and I enjoyed the controls and I can really see the whole thinking working even without the PvP to be honest. The city building would still happen but the only thing I can see being removed is the open pvp. Sieges could still take place with guilds waring with each other. Was just wondering.

I really think the game could attract a lot more people if that were done. People like to PvP, no doubt, its all in how its setup. I wonder if they would consider doing this as a test in order to see how popular it would be.

Comments

• Stravus-EBStravus-EB Member Posts: 79
    I highly doubt there will be a non open pvp server since SB is centered around open pvp. As for getting pked as soon as you step out of a freehold. It is not that bad. There are people that will come through and kill noobies dont get me wrong. The main thing people need to do is not get fustrated. Get as high as you can on noob island then hit a freehold city on the main land and start looking for a guild. This will help you level and will get you out of the macrozones near the freeholds.

• HirzikHirzik Member Posts: 57

I heard that there were differences between the servers but I don't know what they are really. I heard one has less gold then the others and one has a more focus on politics between the guilds. What does this actually mean?

Each server has a set of rules it follows:

Corruption - Less gold (originally also had less xp), not sure if it still has the lore requirements it originally had (meaning if you were human you'd get more xp in a human guild).

Damnation - Is supposed to be more centered on guild functions such as building your guilds city, existing as a guild, and possible a more indepth look at GvG.

Entropy - Standard gold, standard xp

Mourning - standard gold, standard xp

Vengeance - standard gold, standard xp (however this server easily has the most players so it can become hectic depending on what you do as far as guild is concerned)

Will you be pked less in the focused on guild politics then the other? I understand this is a PvP games but there is always the trouble of walking out of NPC cities only to be pked by waiting players or out with a group and be destoryed by extremely high level players. Do any of the differences in servers make any difference when it comes to things like this?

The number of people that will try to PK you is generally in proportion to the population of the server.  Like take Vengeance, generally even if you're in the heart of a zerg nation there'll still be someone or a group of people that will come to PK you at sometime during the day/night.  While in a smaller guild/nation zergs may come after you and you'll definitely have a lot of PvP.  Versus lets say Dread (I know it's been erased but it's the only other server I was on for an extended period of time), the guild I belong to was on a separate island from the world so we generally didn't get visits from enemies.  However, when we did, we'd do our best to boot them from our island and whenever we were on the mainland we would generally have at least 2-3 fights with our enemies.

Also since there are different servers, is there any chance they would add non-pvp server?

Look up the definition of impossible image

I was afraid to ask this cause I didn't want to be attacked. I guess I just have this bad impression of what type of people pure and free for all PvP games attract. Anyway I remember playing back when the game first came out, for the first month and quit(due to the lag and so many other problems). The world was great, as was the back story and I enjoyed the controls and I can really see the whole thinking working even without the PvP to be honest. The city building would still happen but the only thing I can see being removed is the open pvp. Sieges could still take place with guilds waring with each other. Was just wondering.

Yes you could have this game run without open PvP, but that's what other games are for.  I say because the open PvP is pretty much all that's worth doing once you hit level 60-ish (you can cover all the guild expenses within 1-3 day of farming and that's for a fully ranked city with all r7 vendors and buildings, guards, walls, an r7 Tree of Life, Shrine, and Spire). 

I really think the game could attract a lot more people if that were done. People like to PvP, no doubt, its all in how its setup. I wonder if they would consider doing this as a test in order to see how popular it would be.

If you'd truly like to see it get some people to back you up and petition their CCRs, see what happens with it on their boards, and make contact with the right people to get this idea looked at.  Personally I think it's an idea that's been done too many times already but they could definitely try it if they wished.  Good luck with it if you decide to go through with it.

My $0.02 image

::::20::

• Waylander-SBWaylander-SB Member Posts: 31

Find a good guild, and PvP becomes a fun part of the game as guilds fight amongst each other. PvP and grudges are what drive this game.

Lead Class Advocate
    Senior Herald
    Shadowbane, Chronicle of Strife

Shadowbane In-Development Page

Shadowbane Patch Note History

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Thanks everyone. I've installed the game again and once I subscribe again looking for a guild will be one of the first things I do, well once I reach the point to be kicked off the newbie island. Thanks.

Still I have to decide if I will play again first.

If anyone else cares to post their opinion on the above questiosn please do so. I look forward to reading them. Thanks again.

• CatalystCatalyst Member Posts: 2

I could see a non-open pvp server being very viable if there were still pvp at sieges and (upcoming) resource points. Or even if you just restricted pvp in certain zones. This might draw new players to SB, thus providing money for development. I wouldn't play on the server, but anything that would provide cash for development is a good idea by me.

One question that wasn't answered. He said he'd heard about the differences, but he hadn't heard what they actually meant. You basically repeated what he had already heard and didn't answer the question. WHAT DOES IT MEAN to have a server focus more on guild development? How is this implemented in terms of mechanics or world layout?

• HirzikHirzik Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by Catalyst

I could see a non-open pvp server being very viable if there were still pvp at sieges and (upcoming) resource points. Or even if you just restricted pvp in certain zones. This might draw new players to SB, thus providing money for development. I wouldn't play on the server, but anything that would provide cash for development is a good idea by me.
    One question that wasn't answered. He said he'd heard about the differences, but he hadn't heard what they actually meant. You basically repeated what he had already heard and didn't answer the question. WHAT DOES IT MEAN to have a server focus more on guild development? How is this implemented in terms of mechanics or world layout?

I didn't repeat anything that was asked within my actual answer, however If you want to be an annoyance in my side I'll gladly answer your unimaginative questions with this: 

Think about what the possible guild structures are, the various features inherent to each guild and its racial restrictions (if they're enforced), titles within a guild (only important to those that RP), and from there basically read, I'm not a dictionary on ShadowBane and I'm certainly not going to give a fully detailed explanation that would take me well over say an hour to write and would take up about 3-5 pages worth of useless information since it can be found else where if you're trying to find it and you know how to look. 

I guess basically what I'm trying to say is sometimes you just need to get off your lazy ass and try playing the game or reading through the information provided at their site sometime.

Well that's my $0.02 jerk

::::20::