Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rp in this game?

SinisteroneSinisterone Member Posts: 22

(that is in brief, is there any roleplaying in this game?

is it consistant,  need one have to arrange things are or there enough players for casual and as i prefer,  heavy rp?

decent storylines,etc?

is there an unoffical or chosen rp server?

is this game roleplayer friendly or at least tolerant?

thanks for your time and helpful replys.

Comments

• tirallumtirallum Member UncommonPosts: 205

No sorry, no roleplaying, at least not in the design of the game. Even though Lionna is the "rp" server and maybe there you could find some rping clan, as most of the clans are pvp oriented on the high end.

Only gems from some particular players come to light: FMI The Movie

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Well Lineage II was never designed for the type of story driven role play that you're referring to. There is a wonderful back story to the game but I doubt over half of the people playing the game have ever read it or even know it exists. Now that doesn't mean there isn't role playing of a sort in the game. The role playing aspects of L2 have mainly to due with clan politics and how clans interact with other clans and individuals. The main story in L2 is made by the players themselves through alliance level PvP for control of in game real estate. Castle owning clans have control of the taxes and other aspects of the area they control so the game is ever changing in this respect. They also have to defend their holdings from other clans/alliances with notions of greatness. This is one of the few games where an individual can make a name for themselves and be known by everyone on the server. This can be for either good or bad deeds. Some of the most notorious characters were widely known for PKing and the more noble were remembered for their heroic deeds in aiding those in need. L2 is a game where everyone role plays their own role in a never ending player driven story line.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• EllyrionEllyrion Member Posts: 193
    Originally posted by Sinisterone

(that is in brief, is there any roleplaying in this game?
    is it consistant,  need one have to arrange things are or there enough players for casual and as i prefer,  heavy rp?
    decent storylines,etc?
    is there an unoffical or chosen rp server?
    is this game roleplayer friendly or at least tolerant?

thanks for your time and helpful replys.

I think that Brenelael has summarised it quite well indeed. The potential of RP is huge as this IS a PLAYER driven game. However, what you need to consider is how many role players actually indulge in MMO's and L2 in particular ? There is no game engine driven mechanics to "enforce" or even encourage RP outside of the scope of player choice. The closest you will get to that is in games like DAOC or WOW where the lore defined sides force players by game engine design but in the same stroke restrict the opportunity for looking beyond the stereotype which in turn defeats the RP concept.

Given the level of difficulty of L2 and the degree of cooperative game play required, which is well and truly grounded in understanding the game engine and the mechanics by which characters advance in L2, most RPers simply cannot cope with this demanding progression system.

In my experience, roleplaying aspects are limited to those who have made it to the top in the real game and accumulated sufficient reknown and power in terms of both; the clan/alliance within which they grew and individual wealth / equipment.

It is only then, when they have "earnt" their place in L2 are they able to digress from the pursuits of their clan/alliance for short periods of time to indulge in the realm of RP and lore. This is all in perspective ofcourse as there is always the inevitable conflict with non-rp players which will very quickly dispell any illusions of RP which you may have entertained and the mainstream reality of L2 will remind you that Aden is a cruel and unforgiving realm.

The unofficial RP server is Lionna, although I don't know whether enough RP'ers have endured there to sustain this title.  I do know of a few ppl who RP on Kain but again its an activity limited to those who are both rich and powerfull as ultimately everything in L2 comes down human interaction defined  by PvP resolution. 

In times of conflict  you will need to have the backing of your clan/alliance or you will perish. This is why many RP societies ultimately perish as they are unable to compete for game content or exhibit sufficient power as to bring their RP world into life.

As I mentioned check out the situation on Lionna where there may be RP clans of sufficient capability to allow you to play in the "end game", but there are no such clans on Kain.

Regards,

Ellyrion Fiallathandriel

7X Eva's Templar

Kain

• XincyrveniXincyrveni Member Posts: 10
    I think on Sieghardt Wolveneye clan does some RP.