Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With only 20 people left on the SWG Dev team it looks like no expansions...ever.

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

The game has been put into low maintenance mode. EQ may still get them, but then again it’s an original SOE IP. And still a popular one. SWG won't get shit from here on in other than little content publishes. I’m even willing to bet the game will lose more team members once DC comics Online picks up a bit more development steam. I expect  SWG to be put into the Tarnarus section of games within a year. http://www.mmognation.com/2007/05/14/how-they-make-star-wars-galaxies/

"The Galaxies team has been stripped down to just about 20 people. Their aim is to be agile, flexible, and focused. "

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Yes that was an interesting article I read that earlier today.  You are right not sure you will ever see a full blown expansion again unless something happens.

On the other hand they do have plenty of unused area to add in content in the game. Which is what they say the plan on doing. I will wait and see but so far this dev team has been better than some of the previous.

Not gonna hold my breath just have fun with what I have now.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Today will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of  SWG, it will soon see the end of the SOE.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ownedyou1ownedyou1 Member Posts: 364
    You guys have been saying swg will die for 3 years, grow up please. It's not going to happen.

Don't smoke crack , kids!
  • terrorantulaterrorantula Member Posts: 174
    It's been Planetsided :( Ruined and then forgotten....
  • elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

20 people is a really reasonable team size for building add ons / expansions or even entire games.  Now if they were doing a game from scratch 20 people would be the starting team and a huge mass would be brought in towards the end of development.    I think you guys are just grasping at straws now.  Honestly find a game and go be happy with it or atleast seek out some professional physchological help. 

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• NGESUCKSNGESUCKS Member Posts: 153
    I cant beleive theres that many working on it i thought there was 10 at the most lol.I cant believe they got the DC game how many games do they have to destroy before companies realize SOE sucks!! My god if SWG itself isnt the prime example i dont know what is? I really hope they dont get a hold of STO (star trek online) uugh. Well i cant wait to see the the galaxy report try to spin that lmao fariq will suddenly have extra credit time for bending protiens on his 600 buck ps3.

*Games on our site will be treated just as we treat people. Unsubstantiated comments about specific or general games will be penalized in nearly the same way attacks against people will. The exception is that you can say mean things about games provided you back it up with reasons.
    Example: "Game X sucks." is not a legitimate comment. "Game X sucks, because..." is acceptable.

Thank you,

The Staff
    MMORPG.COM

What is really funny is only 20 peeps play SWG!

Unaware of the Jestor?

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• Dove32Dove32 Member Posts: 10
    pre - cu : swg was one of the best mmo's.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by JestorRodo

lol correction 10 people play, each of them have an alt. 
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Yep your right only 20.....I mean 10 w/ alts  so really it's not worth your time to come here and risk developing Carpel Tunnel over the last remaining 20 toons SWG has is it?

Man that was an awesome put down on the game you guys  should write a book. You are full of material.

• wargassmwargassm Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by NGESUCKS

I cant beleive theres that many working on it i thought there was 10 at the most lol.I cant believe they got the DC game how many games do they have to destroy before companies realize SOE sucks!! My god if SWG itself isnt the prime example i dont know what is? I really hope they dont get a hold of STO (star trek online) uugh. Well i cant wait to see the the galaxy report try to spin that lmao fariq will suddenly have extra credit time for bending protiens on his 600 buck ps3.
    Perpetual filed bankruptcy. I doubt we will see STO within the next 3 years.  Stargate worlds on the otherhand might be what some are looking for.

I agree with the size of the dev team.  This is partly why they dumbed the game down, so they wouldnt need such  large development staff.  Think of it 20 people for a total of 13 prof's, if they took 1 dev pre prof then they have 1 left over for graphics, 1 for sound etc etc etc.

you should look at this as the glass is half full,  :)

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205
    Originally posted by wargassm

Perpetual filed bankruptcy. I doubt we will see STO within the next 3 years.  Stargate worlds on the otherhand might be what some are looking for.

I agree with the size of the dev team.  This is partly why they dumbed the game down, so they wouldnt need such  large development staff.  Think of it 20 people for a total of 13 prof's, if they took 1 dev pre prof then they have 1 left over for graphics, 1 for sound etc etc etc.

Mind posting a link to this rumour of filing? I mean they've just put up adds for hiring people I doubt they'd file bankrupcy now.  Oh and btw unless you know anything about development teams then don't speak because you just made yourself sound like an ass.  You don't need more than 20 people for a game thats already been released its absurbed and a huge waste of money.

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

I really do not know what is worse - SOE banning me for alledged forum misuse  ( come on now, everyone who has seen my RP posts knows that SOE has an agenda - too bad it backfired ) or all the self imposed damaged SOE has done to itself with the CU and NGE in either case it makes me feel a hell of alot better ! .

Unaware of the Jestor?

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by elvenangel

Mind posting a link to this rumour of filing? I mean they've just put up adds for hiring people I doubt they'd file bankrupcy now.  Oh and btw unless you know anything about development teams then don't speak because you just made yourself sound like an ass.  You don't need more than 20 people for a game thats already been released its absurbed and a huge waste of money.*Breaks out coin* *inserts in coin slot* Ok  fortune teller explain in great detail why you think its a waste of money to have more than 20 people on a game that's already been released if its a successful game, at the same time you don't make yourself look like the ass. World of Warcraft anyone? But holy fucking shit wait! Stop the presses! You just said that it’s a huge waste of money for a game that is launched to have more than 20 people on the team! That would mean—there are only 25 people on the Blizzard development team for WoW.*head explodes* Maybe this only applies to SOE games
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

You don't need more than 20 people for a game thats already been released its absurbed and a huge waste of money.
    Actually, you don't need more than 20 people for a game isn't making your company any profit whatsoever.
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976
    Originally posted by darquenblade

You don't need more than 20 people for a game thats already been released its absurbed and a huge waste of money.
    Actually, you don't need more than 20 people for a game isn't making your company any profit whatsoever.

By that logic you don't need any developers for a game that isnt making any profit since the game not existing would typically be prefferable to losing money. Now, if you wanted a game that was not currently profitable to stand a chance of recovering your investment, you might actually hire more programmers to enhance the desirability of your product through fixing bugs, adding content, etc.

That said, 20 devs is more then I thought they had. It's hard to consider the game dead with a team that size. If the game were to truely go into a "maintenance mode" then it stands to reason 20 is the number of developers they figured they could pay and still make a reasonable profit.  As crappy as SOE may be in other areas, they have likely fine tuned their methods for counting their money and thus would only allocate developers where the money warranted.

For what it's worth, I am no more an SOE fan then the next person. I think they royally screwed up a number of times. I think the current SWG plans are a slight improvement and SWG pre-CU was one of the most fun times i had in online gaming. However, I also think the oft-repeated "SWG is dead/dying/gravely wounded' posts are redundant and overly dramatic. As I have said before, this game won't go out in a bang, it will fade away over time. Is this a strong sign of it fading away? Probably, but it is far from the final nail in the coffin. Ultimately, this game will exist so long as it brings in money. Just because you want the game to die doesn't mean it is going to happen any faster (especially in this audience where you are typically preaching to the choir).

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Mind posting a link to this rumour of filing? I mean they've just put up adds for hiring people I doubt they'd file bankrupcy now.  Oh and btw unless you know anything about development teams then don't speak because you just made yourself sound like an ass.  You don't need more than 20 people for a game thats already been released its absurbed and a huge waste of money. Link to follow shortly.  And the answer to your question is yes i do know about software development and how some company's approach it.  If SWG had 34+ prof's as it did pre-cu, then they would need at a minimum 17 developers (ideally you would have 1 dev per prof) just for prof's, then you have QA, then you have Graphics artist, then sound engineer's (granted only need 1 may 2 of these), you need to have at least 1 dev in charge of space with a few devs reporting to him about the development, ohh you need someone for project management, you need at least 4-6 database jockey's, you need a developer that is working on the daily bug fixes and they normally have a few people that work with them, junior Devs, the list can go on and on.  By dumbing down SWG to 9 profs, then you really only need 3-4 devs for prof's, the rest can be sued for other activities.  Granted this example isn't vary cost effective but it's the way i have seen many software development studios work.

Then you have the other train of thought, which is you combine everyone and tackle what ever the project is together.  Example would be, We need to add a new website, Dev A we need that free floating menu to show up on the right and migrate to the lef of the screen on its own.  Dev B we need a good layout for the site, Dev C you take the footer section, Dev D you take the header section and job opportunity's page, Dev C grab the News page etc etc etc...  While this process helps you accomplish the goal you end up having everyone work on certain areas that they might not be suited for.  Remember not everyone programs the same as everyone else and some are better at certain aspects fo the job than others.  So you have to manipulate your team top get the most out of them.  When you have 70 devs working on a game it can be comprehensive.  This the number of devs SWG had until Jfreeman and the higher ups @ soe decided to create the NGE, they then took 1/2 the dev team put them behind locked doors and  several months later when they surfaced we had the NGE. 

As most people have posted in these forums, SWG has some complexity, and in order to support that product you need X amount of Devs.  20 without knowing the exact procedures they have to follow or without knowing how the shop conducts business 20 sounds about right.  Then again it depends on the tools you have to implement changes to the game. If your toolset is easy to use and well built you could have a smaller development team,  unfortunately the tools they have to use are clunky, hard to work with and implement change.  In this case you would need more devs to help decode . 

Here is the link to perpetual filing chapter 11.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/127508

Granted they aren't going under yet, but they did fire over 35 folks before Christmas.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Mind posting a link to this rumour of filing? I mean they've just put up adds for hiring people I doubt they'd file bankrupcy now.  Oh and btw unless you know anything about development teams then don't speak because you just made yourself sound like an ass.  You don't need more than 20 people for a game thats already been released its absurbed and a huge waste of money. Link to follow shortly.  ... 

Granted they aren't going under yet, but they did fire over 35 folks before Christmas.

You appear to have missed that first word in your link.  Here, I'll post it for you.  "(Parody) Perpetual Entertainment,..."

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/127508
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by grunty

Mind posting a link to this rumour of filing? I mean they've just put up adds for hiring people I doubt they'd file bankrupcy now.  Oh and btw unless you know anything about development teams then don't speak because you just made yourself sound like an ass.  You don't need more than 20 people for a game thats already been released its absurbed and a huge waste of money. Link to follow shortly.  ... 

You appear to have missed that first word in your link.  Here, I'll post it for you.  "(Parody) Perpetual Entertainment,..."

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/127508
    umm no i didn't. as represented by the   as in being sarcastic.  But they did fire 35 folks before christmas, makes you wonder what kind of a company would do that to people before christmas.   
  • Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227

Originally posted by tillamook
       The game has been put into low maintenance mode. EQ may still get them, but then again it’s an original SOE IP. And still a popular one. SWG won't get shit from here on in other than little content publishes. I’m even willing to bet the game will lose more team members once DC comics Online picks up a bit more development steam. I expect  SWG to be put into the Tarnarus section of games within a year. http://www.mmognation.com/2007/05/14/how-they-make-star-wars-galaxies/

"The Galaxies team has been stripped down to just about 20 people. Their aim is to be agile, flexible, and focused. "

Aren't you part of the same yukyuks that have been saying there's 6 devs left and shutdown was going to happen any day now?

SWG isn't going anywhere (sadly). Not when LA is in the process of hiring someone specifically to watch over it from there side.

• hubertgrovehubertgrove Member Posts: 1,141

Today will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of  SWG, it will soon see the end of the SOE.

I pretty much agree. It seems that SOE are just giving up on this game, this wonderful game that the defamed and defiled, and leaving only a small undertaker staff in charge.

It will continue plodding along for another six months ago and then when it's announced that Bioware will be launching the new SWG2, SOE will announce that it is closing the SOE1 servers to allow its few remaining users to 'migrate' across to the new game. Smedley will then laugh mirthlessly, stroke the white cat upon his lap and continue with his latest, most consuming project: how to destroy DC Comics.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

Do any of you people own stock? Ask your moms or dads to show you SEC filings on Sony/SOE.......they are not going anywhere and are quite profitable.

Smedley though is an arrogant twit.
  • hubertgrovehubertgrove Member Posts: 1,141
    Originally posted by orlac

Do any of you people own stock? Ask your moms or dads to show you SEC filings on Sony/SOE.......they are not going anywhere and are quite profitable.

Smedley though is an arrogant twit.

He he. You should google for news on Sony Online, parent of SOE. The division is doing very poorly - thoughy not because of (or at least, not just because of) the mismanagement of SWG.
  • KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099
    Just because SONY is a global company, don't assume that it means anything to Sony Online, SOE or SWG. SONY will stay strong by doing what is necessary to under performing business units and profit centers.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by ownedyou1

You guys have been saying swg will die for 3 years, grow up please. It's not going to happen.

Don't smoke crack , kids!

Actually, its about right.  When the NGE came out, we said within a year and a half the game would be a skeleton crew.  It would never technically die, but the fanbase would be insignificant.  Around a year and a half after the NGE, whaddya know, the game is now down to 20 people, meaning nobody really is playing it.

Eventually the novelty will die, and the game will within another year.