Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Eve Online for me pt 2

AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
A few weeks ago I asked if Eve Online was for me. First thanks to everyone who responded, both good and bad. I'm sure Eve, or at least Eve's public image, prefers an informed person who decides not to play instead of an uninformed person who signs up, has awful time, then tells everyone about it. That being said, I'm still on the fence about joining. My City of Heroes character reached 50, but there are still things left to do plus I'd like to play around with the invention system (so far I'm not very impressed). Also the big office project isn't done and I'd rather not start the free trial when I may have to stay late a few nights.

Personal issues aside, I still have some lingering concerns.

1) With so many players how do you find your nitche? Wouldn't all the nitches be taken?

2) How big of a problem is cheating by the Devs?

3) How big of a problem is scamming by fellow players?

4) Where do I go for signing up with a corp?

5) How important is it to sign up with a corp (player or computer)?

6) Are there any sort of walk throughs I can read on the web without downloading the game demo and signing up for the free trial period?

My character concept/goal is a miner/manufacturer. I want to gather resources and produce products. It doesn't matter what I gather, I'll take anything. I don't plan to specialize since it narrows your options. So I'd like to acculmulate all the blueprints I can. As a back up, I would take trading jobs and courier assignments. Is this feasible?

Comments

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    1) With so many players how do you find your nitche? Wouldn't all the nitches be taken?

With such a large universe and the numerous expansions new niches are constantly appearing and disappearing its not just finding a niche its keeping it and adapting when it is either taken over by another player or a new change is completed.

2) How big of a problem is cheating by the Devs?

As much as people scream about it the over all effects were fairly negilable in the grand scheme of things. Think of the U.S. Goverment giving Microsoft and extra Billion. While it sounds nasty, compared to the normal income of Microsoft and the Gross Domestic Product of  the U.S. it would be a drop in the bucket. While the numbers are not scaled perfectly the effect is about the same. The income of the parties that were "assisted" was and still is significant enough that it would not have made a massive difference.

On the Supposed knowledge that they had ahead of time, a lot of the accused information just needed to be researched. Similiar to complaigning that somebody got a Scholarship because they spent the time to research that it exsists and you didn't.

In the end, looking atthe grand scheme of things it actually helped the game a bit my mixing it up a bit in 0.0. Things were getting a little quiet.

3) How big of a problem is scamming by fellow players?

Minimal to non-exsistant if your half-way smart, Feeding pit if your stupid or lazy to do it right. In 2 years I can count the number of times I've been scammed with no fingers or toes. However, I only use the basic trade window with friends and corpmates all other transactions through either contracts or the basic market. Stick to that and your set as contracts give you plenty of time to check it, and the market is about as straight forward as you can get(watch decimal points though 1mil item with a buy order for 100k or 1k).

4) Where do I go for signing up with a corp?

There is a recruitement channel in game that while functional is a bit of a spamfest(comming from a recruiter). Though it is a good place to start, The EVE-O forums also has a recruitment section. Once you talk to and  find a corp that wants you, you go to one of the stations that has a corp office submit a application, they approve it, and you finalize it. Depending on if someone with the personell role is on in the corp(which should be the recruiter you talk to) you can get in a corp with in 2 minutes other wise it takes longer.

5) How important is it to sign up with a corp (player or computer)?

Corps and Alliances are the main driving force in the game. They make up thier own missions, Non-aggretion pacts, and how they want to create a name for themselves. The actions of corps and alliances affects everyone in the game. whether you join or not you will have to deal with them in some way. I perfer the mentality "if you can't beat, them join them till you can beat them" You are always in a corporation no way around it, If you quit a player corp they stick you in a NPC placeholder corp. They are not real corps and do not consider them in that way. When you here somebody talk abouta Corp they mean player.

6) Are there any sort of walk throughs I can read on the web without downloading the game demo and signing up for the free trial period?

I'm sure there are some on the New player section of the EVE-0 forums, how much they will make sense till you get into the game is anotther story.

For the character concept, No classes so the answer is yes. The  more importnat question is it  feasable time wise and the answer is yes for that.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

I play eve and this responder has done a fair job at answering your questions.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    I've just started playing as well and I have to say I'm quite impressed so far. I'm still in my 14 day trial but I have no doubt I will be subscribing to this game as it is that good. I only replied here as being a player that just started I can tell you something of my own pre-EVE experience. As far as reading up on the game or looking at walkthroughs I tried this as well. I did find some very good ones but they left me more confused than before I read them. This is a very complex game and reading about it will not gain you anything but a headache. There is good news however. I DL'd the game and installed it and started the 14 day trial. I learned more in the first 15 minutes of the in-game tutorial then I did from days of reading. My best suggestion to you is to DL the client and check it out for yourself because you have nothing to lose and it's the only way to see if your gonna like it or not.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Fyhre343Fyhre343 Member Posts: 5
    One of the questions on the forefront of many prospective players' is that of scamming.  I am a reformed scammer (always within the bounds of the game, obviously), and I have to say that you have to be really stupid to get scammed.  Just guard yourself like you would in any other situation, you'll be fine.

That's all I have to say about that.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Brenelael

I've just started playing as well and I have to say I'm quite impressed so far. I'm still in my 14 day trial but I have no doubt I will be subscribing to this game as it is that good. I only replied here as being a player that just started I can tell you something of my own pre-EVE experience. As far as reading up on the game or looking at walkthroughs I tried this as well. I did find some very good ones but they left me more confused than before I read them. This is a very complex game and reading about it will not gain you anything but a headache. There is good news however. I DL'd the game and installed it and started the 14 day trial. I learned more in the first 15 minutes of the in-game tutorial then I did from days of reading. My best suggestion to you is to DL the client and check it out for yourself because you have nothing to lose and it's the only way to see if your gonna like it or not.

Bren
    Exactly. When I first started I tried reading up about it, but it just left me confused.

I got most of my help from the noob corp., most people in there are very helpful... at least they were when I first started playing... ah, those were the days.

I think the challenge of actually having to learn the game is what got me hooked (amongst other things), as that's what I've always been into gaming for. ;)

-iCeh

• jpyrichjpyrich Member Posts: 55
    Nicoli did a good job answering your questions, but I wanted to add a few things.

How big of a problem is cheating by the Devs?

There has been one issue of a Dev cheating and a couple instances of GMs cheating.  As far as game play goes, there wasn't a big impact.  However, many players (including myself) are not happy with the way that CCP dealt with the Dev cheating.

1) The Dev that cheated was not fired contrary to company policy.  CCP says that this happened because senior management was on vacation and couldn't be reached.

2) CCP knew about the cheating and left the items spawned by the GM in the game for six months.  They only removed the items when the players discovered it and became outraged.   The amount of revenue wasn't huge compared to that of the Corp how had the items, but it would have been a lot to others.  Extending Nicoli's example, Microsoft won't really notice an extra billion, but if you gave that money to a start up company it would have a huge effect.   There was also a minor tactical edge that the items gave the Corp how had them.

3) Just before the Dev came clean in a Dev Blog, CCP told the players that they needed to "investigate" the allegations.  However, they already knew of that the Dev cheated as it happened six months before.

4) CCP has been completely ignoring player comments about this incident. 
    This includes the new Director of Interanl Affaris.  While some of the players are asking for way too much, the players deserve the courtesy of a response. 

5) CCP's community relations manager stated that if the players don't like how they are handling it, they can find another game.  I found this quite arrogant considering hwo they handled the matter.

How important is it to sign up with a corp (player or computer)?

If you venture out of Empire space you really need to be in a Corp.  Outside of Empire there are no neutrals.  Alliances will kill anyone who is not allied with them.  Corps are also important to give you some human contact in the game.  There are times when EVE can get a little boring.