Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World - Funcom new mmorpg!!!!

Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395

Funcom announced today that it would be bringing a new massively multiplayer title to both the PC and Xbox 360. Titled The Secret World, the game supposedly encompasses "history and mythology, modern conspiracy theories and ancient mysteries." Just how all of that will mesh into a cohesive MMO experience remains to be seen.

The game's premise presupposes that a secret world exists within ours, where monsters and ancient beings vie for control over all existence. In this version of our earth, modern cities house eerie secrets. Players will find themselves a part of some of the greatest conspiracies of the modern era as they wage war against the minions of evil.

"We believe there are millions of gamers out there who want to explore something beyond traditional fantasy and sci-fi games," said Trond Arne Aas of Funcom. "'The Secret World' is just that - a fantastic new setting that will fuel the imagination of online gamers, and keep players busy for years. We have a golden opportunity to bring something fresh and exciting to the genre, and we firmly believe the game is an ideal extension of Funcom's MMO portfolio."

"We started envisioning this contemporary online world more than ten years ago, and as the years passed the ideas grew and improved," said Ragnar Tørnquist, Producer and Director of 'The Secret World'. "We always wanted a different kind of online world, something scary and contemporary, something deeper and closer to our reality. Our goal now is to create a detailed world where players feel empowered and part of something big, something mystical and epic."

Produced at Funcom's studios in Oslo and Beijing, The Secret World has been in development for almost one year, and is currently said to be playable. No release date has yet been given for the game.

omg i cant wait the artwork looks amazing................... they say its playable but i guess the beta will be next year maybe.

here's an artwork

Comments

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Freakin sweet!   Finally something different.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437
    I have to admit I have a better feeling towards this game then any of the upcoming mmorpgs, im excited.
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

IA IA CTHULHU FTAGN!

• TehFnoRdTehFnoRd Member UncommonPosts: 30

Wow! Sounds wicked!!!!

I think Funcom is my new fav company! 1st Age of Conan and now this? Muhahah So sweeet!   

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant:
    "If I live, I will kill you, If I die, you are forgiven."
    Such is the Rule of Honor.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Coldmeat

IA IA CTHULHU FTAGN!
    lol they do look similar

• WellesWelles Member Posts: 66

This is starting to look interesting. From the artwork it does seem to be based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft and I have too wonder if this will be set in Arkham, Massachusetts. It might even be they are doing a direct Interpretation of his books.

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
    Cry Gaia was a better name for the game, imo.  'The Secret World' sounds like a 1992 Disney animated feature about the forest.
    Originally posted by Welles

This is starting to look interesting. From the artwork it does seem to be based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft and I have too wonder if this will be set in Arkham, Massachusetts. It might even be they are doing a direct Interpretation of his books.
    I'm pretty sure that it will take place in bigger cities around the world.  From what we've found out at least four major cities are involved.
  • WellesWelles Member Posts: 66

The tentacled monster is reminiscent of a particular villain. Nyarlathotep... the crawling chaos... I am the last... I will tell the audient void...

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

Neat stuff FunCom. If they truly go to the Lovecraft theme, this game will do wonders.  Heck, i would even be happy if it had contemporary elements of horror like the Buffy the Vampire TV Series, mix it up with the Dresden Files, spatter some conspiracy elements like the X files and wrap it with the Da Vinci Code type of mystery .

Sorry rambling a lot.

And Don't forget to include hot chicks from "Charmed"...

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• FaurFaur Member Posts: 330
    There is a new note out that we're still working on, if anyone wants to have a go

www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php

img221.imageshack.us/img221/4200/largerimagebigkf5.jpg

Pretty much the only thing we have so far is that the latin text is a reference to the garden of eden and when god created Eve.
  • YukkioneYukkione Member Posts: 618
    This really sounds like the break out game that the MMO world needs. No surprise that FC is developing it because Robert E. Howard (Conan) was freinds with H.P. Lovecraft and they used each others ideas regularly. One point that I get from the description is that this may be a title where role playing is an intigral part of the game. Hard to play a game about conspiracy without being drawn into the lore and back stories. There is so much material to draw from too... Illuminati, Templers, Free Masonry....Chithulu, the occult. Remember, in 1782 Fernando Poo discovered Fernando Poo.
  • ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by retrospectic

Cry Gaia was a better name for the game, imo.  'The Secret World' sounds like a 1992 Disney animated feature about the forest.
    They could have stuck with the original name of "The World".
  • AmalaricAmalaric Member Posts: 480
    This game looks like it could be something for me, any chances that it might be released in 2008?
  • RanddRandd Member Posts: 409
    Reading around on different forums and gaming sites, seems Funcom is hiring some really good people. Good for them and good for us.
  • metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329
    "modern conspiracy theories and ancient mysteries"

Cool.. I wonder if it will involve reptilian overlords, new world order, illuminati, mass population reduction by 2012, under ground grey alien bases where human genetics are manipulated.. or some such theories.. Some believe the battle in heaven where lucifer rebelled against God resulted in him and his fallen angels being cast down to earth where they lost their angelic form but retained their intellect and are seen as what we perceive as UFO's.. This should be interesting to see how much conspiracy they can fuse into this game..
  • DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422
    <obligatory troll>

OMGWTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ths gaem sucks!  Funcom is full of retards

they totaly ripped off WOW if you play thisthen you aere a retarded thegraphics are teh suck

</obligatory troll>

Seriously though, it looks cool so far.  I don't know enough about it to make any judgments but I like Funcom and I definitely give them points for trying something a little different.  But then I did the same for Auto Assault.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Sounds interesting. A nice break from the plethora of fantasy themed MMOs out there. This is one definitely going on my watch list.

• GerecGerec Member CommonPosts: 185
    Sounds good.
  • b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441
    funcom is officially my favorite gaming company now

Age of Conan

The secret World

they are the only company offering both REAL innovation and quality(from what ive seen)
  • AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650
    Originally posted by b0rderline99

funcom is officially my favorite gaming company now

Age of Conan

The secret World

they are the only company offering both REAL innovation and quality(from what ive seen)
    *high five + cookies*
  • neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

This is great news. 

I originally stumbled accross some info on this game some time ago on Wikipedia, but it was called 'The World' then.  I couldnt find any more info on it and thought that Funcom had decided to shelve it to work on Age of Conan instead.  What a pleasant surprise to find out that this has been in production for the last year as well as AoC.

This sounds like a really interesting game, and I for one applaud Funcom for trying to shake up the stale state of the MMORPG industry.

I now have 3 games to wait on releasing, thank God that at least some companies are not afraid to get away from the EQ-clone sickness that is predominate in the MMO scene today.

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860
    oh my---- something to look forward to
  • AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437
    The only issue now is the waiting, and man the waiting sucks.