Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wht Class Are You Guys

2»

Comments

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

"All I'm saying is that yours is not the best."

And I will repeat it yet again: against undead and summoned foes - by virtue of the greater damage they do (holy and otherwise) - a Dervish is the best profession to take AGAINST UNDEAD AND SUMMONED FOES.

Perhaps you would like to meet in game to settle this? You bring your Smiter (if you even really play one) and I'll bring either of my Dervishes AND my Smiter - in turn - and we'll settle this!

P.S. I just did this and here are the results:

A Dervish using Heart of Holy Flame on undead in Gates of Kryta mission - USING NO OTHER SKILLS OR SPELLS - JUST WEAPON DAMAGE FROM SCYTHE ATTACKS - did 204 damage per strike against level 11 Grasping Ghouls. This damage was against all adjacent foes because of the way a Dervishes scythe attacks work. And this was with only 13 APs in Mysticism!

Those same foes (level 11 Grasping Ghouls) took 158 damage per attack from Signet of Judgement (79 x 2, which is the best I can get from this with 16 aps on smiting). They took 116 per attack from Banish. The most potential damage I could have done would come from Balthazar's Aura: 26 x 2 x 8 for a total of 416, provided I could keep any foe in the aura that long (it's an AoE, so they run). Holy Wrath came in second on the Smiter's damage scale, weighing in at a potential of 340 damage (34 x 2 x 5) but again, being an AoE, to get this you'd have to make sure they don't run out of it. They will.

So when you're talking potential versus real damage, the Dervish is still better because Heart of Holy Flame OR Avatar of Balthazar are NOT Aoe's, and with 2 swipes of a Scythe can do 408 damage to EACH adjacent foe! That's second only to a full 8 seconds of Balathazar's Aura providing foes don't run from BA, which they will. Furthermore, a Smiter can only cast his best Holy Damage attack every 25 seconds. And the max damage you get with BA comes with 16 APs on Smiting.

A Dervish can keep AoB up for 79 seconds out of 120 seconds with only 13 APs on Mysticism! And AoB gives the Dervish +40 armor and +25% greater attack and movement speed! So a Dervish with AoB not only has more damage than a Smiter with Signet of Judgment (204 vs. 158) but has better armor and faster attack and movement speed!

In addition, a Dervish can keep Heart of Holy Flame up INDEFINITELY (30 second down-timer with 15 second recharge time!)

Finally, if I cast HoHF while engaged with adjacent foes, I get an additional 108 spike damage per adjacent foe. Oh, and BTW the numbers cited for the dervish above with scythe attacks don't include critical hits. My Dervishes have done 300+ damage per critical hit against these same undead foes. With 16 APs on scythe mastery, I get a lot of critical hits!

I went to Gates of Kryta because I could run these numbers quickly. They scale down proportionately for both against higher level foes (Signet of Judgment does not scale down but it's still a spike skill on a 20 second recharge timer).

To recap: my Dervish did more damage over time and more spike damage with 13 APs on Mysticism than my Monk did with 16 APs on Smiting! And I wasn't even counting the extra damage from the critical hits I was getting with 16 APs in Scythe Mastery!!! And to top it off, my Dervishes have better base armor, better buffed armor and better weapon damage without buffs than any Monk!!!

But the bottom line is if you want to kill undead foes quickly, use a Dervish! They are best against undead and summoned foes!

P.P.S. Just ran the test in hard mode: 108 when using HoHF while engaged against adjacent foes. Damage per scythe attack against level 24 Grasping Ghouls with HoHF (non-elite) ranged from 30 to 108 per 1.5 seconds with 13 APs on Mysticism. Smiter did 158 damage against level 24 Grasping Ghouls with Signet of Judgment (elite). So again, while the Smiter had one better spike attack with the elite skill SoJ, over the course of the 20 seconds it took to recharge this skill (assuming no echo), the Dervish was doing more than twice this damage, even to level 24 foes, using only a non-elite skill with 13 APs in Mysticism vs. a Monk's 16 APs in Smiting.

Again, a Dervish with 13 APs on Mysticism is better against undead and summoned foes than a Smiting Monk with 16 APs on Smiting.

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

im an elementalist.  like the things written when my first showers 2nd fall and 2nd showers 1st fall combine with just finished fireball.

I need more vespene gas.

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Serling

"All I'm saying is that yours is not the best."
    And I will repeat it yet again: against undead and summoned foes - by virtue of the greater damage they do (holy and otherwise) - a Dervish is the best profession to take AGAINST UNDEAD AND SUMMONED FOES.
    Perhaps you would like to meet in game to settle this? You bring your Smiter (if you even really play one) and I'll bring either of my Dervishes AND my Smiter - in turn - and we'll settle this!
    P.S. I just did this and here are the results:
    A Dervish using Heart of Holy Flame on undead in Gates of Kryta mission - USING NO OTHER SKILLS OR SPELLS - JUST WEAPON DAMAGE FROM SCYTHE ATTACKS - did 204 damage per strike against level 11 Grasping Ghouls. This damage was against all adjacent foes because of the way a Dervishes scythe attacks work. And this was with only 13 APs in Mysticism!
    Those same foes (level 11 Grasping Ghouls) took 158 damage per attack from Signet of Judgement (79 x 2, which is the best I can get from this with 16 aps on smiting). They took 116 per attack from Banish. The most potential damage I could have done would come from Balthazar's Aura: 26 x 2 x 8 for a total of 416, provided I could keep any foe in the aura that long (it's an AoE, so they run). Holy Wrath came in second on the Smiter's damage scale, weighing in at a potential of 340 damage (34 x 2 x 5) but again, being an AoE, to get this you'd have to make sure they don't run out of it. They will.
    So when you're talking potential versus real damage, the Dervish is still better because Heart of Holy Flame OR Avatar of Balthazar are NOT Aoe's, and with 2 swipes of a Scythe can do 408 damage to EACH adjacent foe! That's second only to a full 8 seconds of Balathazar's Aura providing foes don't run from BA, which they will. Furthermore, a Smiter can only cast his best Holy Damage attack every 25 seconds. And the max damage you get with BA comes with 16 APs on Smiting.
    A Dervish can keep AoB up for 79 seconds out of 120 seconds with only 13 APs on Mysticism! And AoB gives the Dervish +40 armor and +25% greater attack and movement speed! So a Dervish with AoB not only has more damage than a Smiter with Signet of Judgment (204 vs. 158) but has better armor and faster attack and movement speed!
    In addition, a Dervish can keep Heart of Holy Flame up INDEFINITELY (30 second down-timer with 15 second recharge time!)
    Finally, if I cast HoHF while engaged with adjacent foes, I get an additional 108 spike damage per adjacent foe. Oh, and BTW the numbers cited for the dervish above with scythe attacks don't include critical hits. My Dervishes have done 300+ damage per critical hit against these same undead foes. With 16 APs on scythe mastery, I get a lot of critical hits!
    I went to Gates of Kryta because I could run these numbers quickly. They scale down proportionately for both against higher level foes (Signet of Judgment does not scale down but it's still a spike skill on a 20 second recharge timer).
    To recap: my Dervish did more damage over time and more spike damage with 13 APs on Mysticism than my Monk did with 16 APs on Smiting! And I wasn't even counting the extra damage from the critical hits I was getting with 16 APs in Scythe Mastery!!! And to top it off, my Dervishes have better base armor, better buffed armor and better weapon damage without buffs than any Monk!!!
    But the bottom line is if you want to kill undead foes quickly, use a Dervish! They are best against undead and summoned foes!
    P.P.S. Just ran the test in hard mode: 108 when using HoHF while engaged against adjacent foes. Damage per scythe attack against level 24 Grasping Ghouls with HoHF (non-elite) ranged from 30 to 108 per 1.5 seconds with 13 APs on Mysticism. Smiter did 158 damage against level 24 Grasping Ghouls with Signet of Judgment (elite). So again, while the Smiter had one better spike attack with the elite skill SoJ, over the course of the 20 seconds it took to recharge this skill (assuming no echo), the Dervish was doing more than twice this damage, even to level 24 foes, using only a non-elite skill with 13 APs in Mysticism vs. a Monk's 16 APs in Smiting.
    Again, a Dervish with 13 APs on Mysticism is better against undead and summoned foes than a Smiting Monk with 16 APs on Smiting.

You're level 20 Dervish, hitting level 11 grasping ghoul, that's a level difference of 9 and therefore make your every hit a critical hit. 

Smiters don't use Signet of Judgement for undead farming, that SoJ stands for Shield of Judgement and it have far greater area than your scythe attack.

• thetankthetank Member Posts: 200
    Warrior / Assasin

Necromancer / Mesmer

Oh.. and your discussion about the best way to fight undeads...

Its the stupidiest thying i've ever heard about GW

P.S. there ARE NOT "best" class in this game.

There are builds.

Each build has strenghts and weakness and tht what makes PvP and PvE exciting and fun.

Wow...I see someone else with a reading comprehension problem.

"You're level 20 Dervish, hitting level 11 grasping ghoul, that's a level difference of 9 and therefore make your every hit a critical hit."

Go back and reread my post. Not every strike was a crit because when I did crit I hit them for 300+!

Furthermore, I also took both Dervish and Smiter in Hard Mode. Guess what: the Derv still outdamaged the Monk against undead foes! And strikes against level 24 undead warriors (which is what Grasping Ghouls are) ranged from a low of 30 to a high of 108 (those were crits!)

"Smiters don't use Signet of Judgement for undead farming, that SoJ stands for Shield of Judgement and it have far greater area than your scythe attack."

Who the hell was talking about undead farming?!?! I was simply writing about the best class for KILLING undead and summoned foes! Nice strawman you've got there!

And by the way, if you notice carefully, Signet of Judgment's three words begin with "S-O-J", too, so I'll use them for it if you don't freaking mind! It's clear how I meant it in the body of the post you reacted to apparently without reading past the past the first freaking line!

The point still stands: when I want to kill undead and summoned foes quickly and efficiently, I'll use my Dervs. Smiters are cute, but not best for killing undead and summoned foes.

"Oh.. and your discussion about the best way to fight undeads...
    Its the stupidiest thying i've ever heard about GW"

And your reply to it is about the stupidest thing I've ever read, period.

"P.S. there ARE NOT "best" class in this game."

Wow...simply freaking wow. Can you tell me what this says?

"There are "best" builds for given situations and foes."
    "There are "best" skill sets (builds) depending on the situation."

These are cites from page 2 of this thread, from a post I wrote!!!

And yes, a Derv build with AoB and Heart of Holy Flame, with 16 APs on scythe mastery and 13 APs on Mysticism REMAINS the best build for taking down undead and summoned foes, IMHO!!!

So please, next time read the whole conversation or stfu!