Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Frontiers?

AkunaiAkunai Member Posts: 138
Was wondering if anyone testing out Frontiers has any strong opinions on it?  Or first glances etc?

Comments

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Well once again the low leveled players get screwed. Thats it. Catacombs will make necro p'ling easiers and kill morgan....yep the chain reaction theory after that :P

imageKiamdeimage

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Member Posts: 62
    The New forntiers expantion pack is a REALLY nice upgrade. I have played the open beta when there was 1500-2000 people on pendragon. All I have to say is, I CAN'T WAIT!

The new expansions will really JOLT the DAOC population

imageKiamdeimage

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• iberamiberam Member Posts: 20
    it really make rvr more fun, it eliminates alot of the things that people hate like not being able to find battles or having so much downtime if you die and have to release.  Well with the new system you can find the battles on a map and if you die you can teleport straight to the closest keep in the supply chain, also you can travel straight out to battle when you enter the frontiers if your supply chain is there.  Great expansion, very fun.

And the best part is that it will be free, and probably a small download [Mythic promises].

imageKiamdeimage

• AkunaiAkunai Member Posts: 138
    Are battles more localized?  how are the choke points they talked about?  is it still a zerg fest or is there stratedgy? 
  • ShagsbeardShagsbeard Member Posts: 71

Mythic promises?  Small download?  Free?

Wow.  I'm amazed that someone with so many posts can be so ignorant of history and basic economics.  You've already paid for the expansion in your monthly fees.  You're still paying for them even if you never even enter the expansion areas.  Mythic has broken more promises to it's player base than any two other companies combined.  I'd take their promise as an indication of what is less likely to happen rather than an indicator of liklihood.

-Sig-
    Don't try to teach a pig to sing,
    It rarely works and only serves to annoy the pig.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

The number of posts does not reflect one's intelligence. You can easily make your point regarding the financially sound structure of Mythic Entertainment without having to flame someone who has contributed more to this community than yourself.

- Malkavian image

"When you find youself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

Originally posted by Shagsbeard
    Mythic promises? Small download? Free?
    Wow. I'm amazed that someone with so many posts can be so ignorant of history and basic economics. You've already paid for the expansion in your monthly fees. You're still paying for them even if you never even enter the expansion areas. Mythic has broken more promises to it's player base than any two other companies combined. I'd take their promise as an indication of what is less likely to happen rather than an indicator of liklihood.

Basic economics? You are the ignorant one, my friend. You help pay for the massive cost of money that it takes to run those servers. Having a free expansion is a godsend. It shows that mythic has enough time and money to make an expansion that can be free. You need to watch your mouth. You will see soon how this community works.

imageKiamdeimage

• TalentTalent Member UncommonPosts: 51
    well, I've been testing forntiers the only gripe I have is it promotes zerg warfare, but that's not a terrible thing I guess.

• SnipesSnipes Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Akunai
    Are battles more localized?  how are the choke points they talked about?  is it still a zerg fest or is there stratedgy? 

I have been in open beta and it is a HOOT!  Love the new look, love the new keeps/towers and the scale of things seems better.

In terms of battles, it's not much different than current RvR.  The battles are localized when you are taking a keep/tower and there are zergs going as usual. 

Where I have seen the strategy come into play is when you hit a keep.  You can attack the walls on several sides simultaniously, not just toss a bunch of rams at the door and get AoE'd to death.  If you have a good organized group (which we did) you can breach the walls in a few places and they don't know where to concentrate their D :)  Once you get in, running around the 3 levels trying to get people is both funny and frustrating...like watching a caster on the top level panic and run...only to fall into the courtyard to his death :)

I only encountered an 8vs8 at a gate and they did not have a chance of getting though.  Not sure how it would look as a choke point for a zerg though, but it would seem better than the current gate set up.

Have not seen an Ocean fight yet...that should be kewl

• Mikew14Mikew14 Member Posts: 47

It will be a small download, but it's not really a small download. Why you may ask? Well, here's what they are doing...

Already now they are starting to add the new graphics and such into the game, in small patches every day or so. In like groups of 4 megs or so. This way when Frontiers is released, there won't be one huge downlaod, you will already have the necessary files on your comp. It will make the launch much smoother and faster.  A great idea in my opinion.

-Structure Fire - 11 Fire/Devices Blaster - Justice
    -Night.Stalker - VFA25 - Lo-Mac (yea, yea, it's not an MMORPG)
    -Solister Thunderblade - 50 Pole, Thrust Arms - Pellinor (retired)
    -Splyt - 50 Skald - Tristan (reitred)
    -Sniper22 - WWII Online (semi-retired)

-Structure Fire - 11 Fire/Devices Blaster - Justice
    -Night.Stalker - VFA25 - Lo-Mac (yea, yea, it's not an MMORPG)
    -Solister Thunderblade - 50 Pole, Thrust Arms - Pellinor (retired)
    -Splyt - 50 Skald - Tristan (reitred)
    -Sniper22 - WWII Online (semi-retired)

• Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292

Another thing that should be interesting would be the Underwater PvP there is bound to be in the oceans, rivers and lakes in the New Frontiers.

I think it would be kind of cool if the put some keeps in the middle of the ocean on small islands, that would be quite interesting to have a kind of ground zero and places for the realms to get even more use out of there warships.

but time flows like a river

and history repeats

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-