Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there a EQ2 Classic server, but not a SWG classic server?

JasPlunJasPlun Member Posts: 155
I wonder why SOE will not open a classic server for SWG with all the posts about pre-cu and cu versions of the game there is a huge following of players who like these versions of the game, but hate the NGE, So why is it so hard for them to do this to make people happy? They did it for EQ2.

Comments

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    It's either insane pride or complete stupidity.

We still haven't figured out which.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• twolfertwolfer Member Posts: 72

probably because in EQ2, all you have to do is disable a few features and zones for the game.

to get SWG back to classic mode would entail a complete re-write of the game, not just an on/off switch.

• ownedyou1ownedyou1 Member Posts: 364
    As they said a couple of years back, its not possible.

Please stop bringing up old news, it's boring.
  • terrorantulaterrorantula Member Posts: 174

Wasn't aware of a EQ2 classic server? that would be stupid seeing as the games actually better now lol. Are you getting it confused with EQ progression servers?

Anyways SWG is a IP so what Lucas Arts says goes.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    As pointed out SWG was modified all the way down to it's gameplay, EQ2 was modified in a more graphical and territorial sense.

You would have to host two almost completely different games if you wanted a SWG Classic server, which means they would have to go back and rewrite the game...again...

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• JasPlunJasPlun Member Posts: 155
    Well anyway to me it seems like it would not be that hard,I am no programmer but I still have the original game install cd's so finding the original code would not be hard to do. Never hurts to have a wish list maybe a SOE Rep may read this post and say hmmmm maybe we should just do it and open a classic server, Yeah Right!
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Deivos

As pointed out SWG was modified all the way down to it's gameplay, EQ2 was modified in a more graphical and territorial sense.

You would have to host two almost completely different games if you wanted a SWG Classic server, which means they would have to go back and rewrite the game...again...
    You mean, more work? For longer? and more profits in the long run? *shutter*

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• dokardokar Member Posts: 52
    It is most likely to do with the fact that they would have to maintain and licence another database to run two versions of SWG..unless they aren't following standard version control they have the original source codes..it would be the database that is the bigger issue..they don't want to pay for and maintain a second database
  • JasPlunJasPlun Member Posts: 155
    Well its really Sad to see that game go the direction it went in it had more potential than any other mmo in my opinion,and could have blown WoW away in subscription numbers had it been run by another company.
  • Gangster-ManGangster-Man Member Posts: 143

Don't forget that they said they don't have backups of swg from pre-cu, which is VERY hard to believe becasue any good company likes to keep everything documented all the way down to the basic data dictionary imo.

If they really don't have a backup of all that then the chances of any pre-cu will be with the emu.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by Gangster-Man

Don't forget that they said they don't have backups of swg from pre-cu, which is VERY hard to believe becasue any good company likes to keep everything documented all the way down to the basic data dictionary imo.
    If they really don't have a backup of all that then the chances of any pre-cu will be with the emu.
    I guess, the hard thing to understnad about the "no backups" approach is that most dev companies would at least have some sort of trail in a CVS system of some type. If they felt it was worth their while, I am pretty sure they could recompile an old version of the game.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    They won't make one because there aren't enough people who would return and stay for it to make the venture profitable.

Right now SOE is looking for a game to hit a grand slam of 500K+  players.... and this wouldn't do that.....so its not going to happen.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Well, post NGE isn't exactly hitting that grand slam either.

Maybe SOE should look to supporting both version in an attempt to reach that number. I promise you SOE will have a much better chance of getting those sub numbers by supporting both version then sticking with just the NGE.

Originally posted by Kyleran

They won't make one because there aren't enough people who would return and stay for it to make the venture profitable.

Right now SOE is looking for a game to hit a grand slam of 500K+  players.... and this wouldn't do that.....so its not going to happen.
  • CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by JasPlun
    I wonder why SOE will not open a classic server for SWG with all the posts about pre-cu and cu versions of the game there is a huge following of players who like these versions of the game, but hate the NGE, So why is it so hard for them to do this to make people happy? They did it for EQ2.

There is no classic server for EQ2.

You can rest happy now knowing this.

• -Thraxor--Thraxor- Member UncommonPosts: 139

When has SOE ever used logic or common sense when it involved SWG?

It's pretty much dead in the water at this point, with the skeleton dev staff and limited budget I don't see it happening.

Plus I really think Smed and crew would rather shut down the game than admit they made a huge mistake with the NGE, and classic servers in their eyes would count as admitting they blundered.
    It would be hard to believe they don't have a backup for every hotfix and publish since launch and before.

Now I know they're stupid, but they can't be THAT stupid.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

You mean, more work? For longer? and more profits in the long run? *shutter* As in they would pretty much have to rescript the whole game...again...which they likely don't consider to be worth the effort given whatever amount of subscribers they have left.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

You mean, more work? For longer? and more profits in the long run? *shutter* As in they would pretty much have to rescript the whole game...again...which they likely don't consider to be worth the effort given whatever amount of subscribers they have left.

Rescript? no.

Copy a backup from pre-cu onto a fresh server and go.. yes.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• swordfelswordfel Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Celestian

There is no classic server for EQ2.

You can rest happy now knowing this.

qft

the only servers which have opened in eq2 after original release are the station exchange servers (where RMT is allowed when done the proper way) and the pvp servers.

oh, and the pvp test server i suppose.

there are no other servers that i am aware of that have been added any time recently. perhaps the OP is thinking of the eq1 progression servers? (or whatever they were called)

played: EQ, EQ2, PS, WoW, CoX, VSoH, GW, LotRO

ones that don't suck: PS, EQ, EQ2

main mmo: EQ2

waiting for: Darkfall(if it ever comes out), PotBS (sounds good)

• DracisDracis Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by Shayde

It would be hard to believe they don't have a backup for every hotfix and publish since launch and before.

Well they are. I guess no one here played on the Chimaera server during the CU. During that time, they did not make any back ups at all and they literally had to go into every log from preCU to find out what skills we had before the conversion. Nearly every person on the server had most of their skills removed. I remember on my alt toon going from a MBH/MPistols to like Only the first line in carbines and heavy weapons, and all of pistols and no investigation. I also lost most of my Pistoleer experience. That's why those of us on Chimaera got those little gold CU plaques. We also got like 4x XP while everyone else only got 2x. Not much in compensation by any means, but we all did band together, if I remember nearly 700 of us to all hit the cancel button at the same time. Tiggs worked with us and took our proposals to the decision makers and we got a comprimise.

On the preCu/preNGE server issue, it is a matter of pride for them. While some of the developers have said it was a mistake, several others have said it wasn't.. People like Nancy McIntyre, if I remember correctly. SOE can't admit they are wrong. It's just too horrid of a concept for the people in charge to bear.

I am a coder/programmer and I can say it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to do, but I'm sure it's possible. It all depends on what's been changed and if there is a complete record of those changes within the code comments. If it was me and I was forced to do it, I would have certainly left comments for future devs so they would know what I changed, but that's just me.

• irukandjiirukandji Member Posts: 253
    Didn't Freemna say a few months back that they legally couldn't host two sets of code because LA would sue them? I am not saying that is canon but it would seem to make sense. Hey, maybe $OE will hire one of the teams working on the emulator projects.

"Hurray, finally a game where I can fulfill my lifelong dream of taking emotionally dead women and finding the most financially viable means to exploit their bodies with the ultimate goal of making them Hugh Hefner's personal furniture."

Originally posted by Dracis

Well they are. I guess no one here played on the Chimaera server during the CU. During that time, they did not make any back ups at all and they literally had to go into every log from preCU to find out what skills we had before the conversion. Nearly every person on the server had most of their skills removed. I remember on my alt toon going from a MBH/MPistols to like Only the first line in carbines and heavy weapons, and all of pistols and no investigation. I also lost most of my Pistoleer experience. That's why those of us on Chimaera got those little gold CU plaques. We also got like 4x XP while everyone else only got 2x. Not much in compensation by any means, but we all did band together, if I remember nearly 700 of us to all hit the cancel button at the same time. Tiggs worked with us and took our proposals to the decision makers and we got a comprimise.

On the preCu/preNGE server issue, it is a matter of pride for them. While some of the developers have said it was a mistake, several others have said it wasn't.. People like Nancy McIntyre, if I remember correctly. SOE can't admit they are wrong. It's just too horrid of a concept for the people in charge to bear.

I am a coder/programmer and I can say it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to do, but I'm sure it's possible. It all depends on what's been changed and if there is a complete record of those changes within the code comments. If it was me and I was forced to do it, I would have certainly left comments for future devs so they would know what I changed, but that's just me.

I know they said they didn't back up the databases.. but the code itself? I can't believe that at all. The Chimera crash was a database issue.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

Originally posted by irukandji

Didn't Freemna say a few months back that they legally couldn't host two sets of code because LA would sue them? I am not saying that is canon but it would seem to make sense. Hey, maybe $OE will hire one of the teams working on the emulator projects.

It depends what you mean. If you want to take things literally, there are already 3 versions of the code right now, preCU, CU, and NGE. The primary code had to be altered in some extenet to encorporate the CU and NGE, while still keeping everything everyone already had. That would technically already make it a different version, but not seperate sets of code.

Now, some folks have said on the official forums that SOE could not put out two versions, because SOE would therefore need two licenses. This is also a fundemental mistake. If SOE would need two licenses, then LA would be specifying that preCU and CU/NGE versions of SW:G are actually two different products. Why would anyone need a second license for the exact same product? That's basically what SOE has fed us since the CU. According to the their EULA, the product can change at any time. If they actually admitted that the CU/NGE versions of SW:G were different products, then all those folks talking about lawsuits may have actually had some ground to stand on.

I'm not exactly sure about which instance you are talking about, but I think I've explained both fairly thoroughly.

Originally posted by Dracis

I know they said they didn't back up the databases.. but the code itself? I can't believe that at all. The Chimera crash was a database issue.

Well, one of the first things I learned to do in coding is make comments within the code itself. That way when making changes future coders/devs would know what changes I made. While I'm not sure that every dev/coder did that, I'm positive some did. It's just one of those things that is drilled into your head as you learn to code. SO there actually may be no actual backup, just code alteration after code alteration with lots of comments.

Editied for clarity. i just type too fast sometimes.

• GenwaGenwa Member Posts: 156
    SOE doesn't run EQ Classic.

They only have the thing called EverQuest Trilogy. People call it classic EQ, but it's not. It's the EQ with no expansion at the begining. Players need to do some things and unlock expansions.