Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BBC Article on MMORPGs

I read this article and I was wondering what is everyone elses thoughts on it.  Is WOW the future of Video Games?  Or will someone take over and rule.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6619875.stm

EDIT:  Linking is cool!

Comments

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353
    Originally posted by Firebird1

I read this article and I was wondering what is everyone elses thoughts on it.  Is WOW the future of Video Games?  Or will someone take over and rule.

Article indicates Blizzard is attempting to inspire and welcomes other MMO creators to meet and/or beat them in an effort to reshape the MMO concept.

They state AOC is intended to be a more adult player conceptey don't want to be "teen tagged' so they are making the game more interesting to those with a more mature experience in RL.

Only time will tell sometime later this year..........

• Firebird1Firebird1 Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by Produde

Originally posted by Firebird1

Article indicates Blizzard is attempting to inspire and welcomes other MMO creators to meet and/or beat them in an effort to reshape the MMO concept.

They state AOC is intended to be a more adult player conceptey don't want to be "teen tagged' so they are making the game more interesting to those with a more mature experience in RL.

Only time will tell sometime later this year..........

It also refernces SWG and LOTR.  Granted everything I've heard of LOTR and SWG is obvious, I think that these are also good games to use as examples (especally SWG).

And yes my spelling is terrible!
  • faseleifaselei Member UncommonPosts: 155
    This is a good article, if you can you should change the thread title so more can read it.

That said, the BBC are obssesed with Second Life and WoW, i guess its a cheap story...
  • shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Not a great article IMHO.

Not that it's bad, it doesn't out and out lie and there's nothing overtly  wrong with it, it's just kinda done half way. It would great if you could sum up the current and future state of MMOs in a one page article but you just can't, it's a disservice to the truth.

Thanks for linking though, it's always interesting to read uneducated misconceptions.

• galapagosgalapagos Member Posts: 75
    How was Lord of the Rings gonna avoid grinding again?

I'm not sure I quite got that.
  • Firebird1Firebird1 Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by faselei

This is a good article, if you can you should change the thread title so more can read it.

That said, the BBC are obssesed with Second Life and WoW, i guess its a cheap story...
    I guess I can do that...