Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updating the game

QbicQbic Member UncommonPosts: 35

Hi guys,

I reinstalled GW after a very long time.  In the beginning it was updating which is normal and after having chosen my char and starting the game another 12000 pieces of data were downloaded, so far so good.  Weird thing is that when I started the game again later that day I needed to download that data again which takes a while.  Is this normal?  Do you always need to download and update so much data?

Cheers,

Q

Comments

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Guild Wars has a unique updating system.

Instead of downloading everything at once it only downloads stuff you actually need. So if Lion Arch got new graphics but you're in Ascalon then you won't download them until you actually visit Lion's Arch.

There are 3 diffirent downloads.

- Dowload Data, the first thing you download when opening the client. Takes a few seconds. Basically a check to see if there's been a patch.

- Gameplay Data. If there's a patch you'll first download general gameplay data. Such as for example skill updates, changed gameplay mechanics. Updated quests, new zones etc.

- Graphics Data. When you enter a zone it checks to see if you have the correct files for all the graphics in that zone. If you don't have them then GW will download them.

Now let's say the last time you played before reinstalling was before the release of NF. This would mean that all the graphic files for NF armors, characters, mini pets etc. aren't on your PC yet. The first time you entered the zone you downloaded a lot of them. But there were no paragons in your zone at this time. So GW doesn't download the graphics for paragon characters, armors etc. Next time you go there there suddenly is a paragon! And some mesmer is wearing fancy 15k NF armor. And someone suddenly has an Asura mini-pet. All kinds of graphic files you don't have! So GW downloads them :D.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• brownspankbrownspank Member Posts: 247

There's a lot of downloading for GW, apparently. Don't worry, it's normal (I think). Instead of you manually downloading a patch, it just gets the required file updates on launch, then downloads the other assets in the background.

In your case, you might've chanced upon a major update that required you to download equally large amounts of files again. Just a guess.

I'm guessing it downloads content for all factions, regardless of which ones you own, because until now, I still get 100s of MBs downloaded at the login screen.

So whenever you're away from your PC, fire up GW so it can download in the background. (You'll see the progress by hovering over the small lightning icon on the bottom right.) ;)

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
    There is a command line to force the updater to check all files before launching the game. Google it.

And yes, after a "long time" without playing GW or a fresh install you should expect quite a bunch of files to update. Especially if you have only one campaign.
  • AwesominityAwesominity Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Secrom

There is a command line to force the updater to check all files before launching the game. Google it.

And yes, after a "long time" without playing GW or a fresh install you should expect quite a bunch of files to update. Especially if you have only one campaign.
    That would be the -image command. I use it any time there's a weekend  event , new skill balances, emergency updates etc etc.

And yeah, if it's been a while since you've played I'd do the image command whenever you're not using the comp. The time it takes will depend on what kind of connection you have and how many files you need get.
  • brownspankbrownspank Member Posts: 247

For those who are not familiar with using command line arguments: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Command_line

• QbicQbic Member UncommonPosts: 35

Thanks for the help guys 

Problem solved, well the updating problem is solved but I could get addicted to GW

• AwesominityAwesominity Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Qbic

Problem solved, well the updating problem is solved but I could get addicted to GW
    Ah, well, that problem we can't help with. Seeing as how most of us also have it.
  • AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844
    Originally posted by gobla

Guild Wars has a unique updating system.
    Instead of downloading everything at once it only downloads stuff you actually need. So if Lion Arch got new graphics but you're in Ascalon then you won't download them until you actually visit Lion's Arch.
    There are 3 diffirent downloads.
    - Dowload Data, the first thing you download when opening the client. Takes a few seconds. Basically a check to see if there's been a patch.
    - Gameplay Data. If there's a patch you'll first download general gameplay data. Such as for example skill updates, changed gameplay mechanics. Updated quests, new zones etc.
    - Graphics Data. When you enter a zone it checks to see if you have the correct files for all the graphics in that zone. If you don't have them then GW will download them.
    Now let's say the last time you played before reinstalling was before the release of NF. This would mean that all the graphic files for NF armors, characters, mini pets etc. aren't on your PC yet. The first time you entered the zone you downloaded a lot of them. But there were no paragons in your zone at this time. So GW doesn't download the graphics for paragon characters, armors etc. Next time you go there there suddenly is a paragon! And some mesmer is wearing fancy 15k NF armor. And someone suddenly has an Asura mini-pet. All kinds of graphic files you don't have! So GW downloads them :D.
    heh yea