Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to EVE

DustyBallzDustyBallz Member Posts: 152

Yes, another noob. ::::05:: What do I need to know before I start? I'll take all the tips you're willing to give. Classes, skills, weapons, anything! What's all this complaining I hear about death? Help!

I am at your mercy... for now. ::::08::

MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

Comments

• KlydeKlyde Member UncommonPosts: 38

Welcome to EVE.

I'd suggest in the skills area, train the "learning" skills first, these can be found at any "school" type station. Train them to level 4, and they will reduce training time on the other skills.

Get involved with a good corp, having seasoned players to help with hints and suggestions will go a long way to making the learning curve not so steep. For the first couple weeks, stay in the starting corp though, there's lots of help from them, and it keeps you immune to corp wars.

I can't help with which race is best, as with enough skill training you can fly any ship in the game. I'm still fairly new to the game, only a month and a half of playing.

I suggest going to the EVE website and research on which race you'd like to play, if you're still new, starting a new character won't hurt much, you'll just lose a little training time.

During your first days, do the missions your starting agent gives you. It will help with "standings", which help you later on.

Have fun and keep in mind that this game requires some planning to maximize your characters direction. image

• DustyBallzDustyBallz Member Posts: 152

Looks interesting! I'm feeling it out now. In-game text is a bit hard to read, but I'll manage. I feel slightly nervous and tingly, in a new surrounding and all that. ::::34::

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Originally posted by DustyBallz

Yes, another noob. ::::05:: What do I need to know before I start? I'll take all the tips you're willing to give. Classes, skills, weapons, anything! What's all this complaining I hear about death? Help!
    I am at your mercy... for now. ::::08::

Here's some basic tips:

Anything below .8 security will spawn rats (NPC's) in the asteroid belts. 

Keep out of anything under .5 security (unless your ready for such things). In .5 and below they can attack you away from the gates and stations, also the rats (NPCs) are much meaner than than the ones in .5 and above.

Don't go into .0 unless your ready to die. That's not to say you will die, but you need to have your insurance paid up, and a clone ready to go. Expect it to happen, it will sooner or later, 0 space is rough, but that's what makes the game fun. :)

Dieing can be very bad if you don't have a apporate clone, always be sure to keep a clone with more skill points than you have.

Don't be afraid to ask for help in /corp or on the message forums, the community is rather helpful in general.

Always keep a skill training, train the long skills when you log for the night, train the short ones while you play.

You can interrupt a skill by starting another skill, you'll take no SP loss. But if you "abort" a skill, it will start over and the last completed level, never do this.

I highly recemend you complete the 10 training missions, also I recemend doing agent mission for the frist couple days maybe the frist week you play. This will let you make money while learning the basics of getting around, and you can make as much money as a newbe doing that as anything else. As your skills may be able to make more money doing something else. (although you can always make easy money on agent missions)

EvE has no classes, any charater can do anything any other charater can, given enough time.

With that said I recemend you try things out and only advance skills you need right away. While you "can" learn everything it would take years. Try to specialize in one thing once you get good at that, branch out a little, then a little more.

I recemend you only learning one set of ship skills at the start. Once your other skills are up, start to learn other races ship skills. (any race can fly ships from any other)

There is no way to screw yourself up on charater creation, although Caraisma has little use currently. I'd not put extra points into that. So don't worry about your begaining points. Attribute only control how quickly you learn skills, they have 0% on a skill once it's learned.

Best of luck in the game, If you send me your in game name I'll give my standard newbe starting package.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• UrbanMongralUrbanMongral Member Posts: 3

I know I'm biased here (being one of the DJ's), but I think you should listen to EVE radio

http://www.eve-radio.com

It is a totally non profit station run for the community by the community. The standard of the radio is very good - lots of people who don't play eve listen to us in preference to the commercial stations in their area.

It is also a very easy way of picking up ISK and Ships (and occasional RL Prizes like T Shirts or game time cards) for not doing very much. On my show I do a caption competition with a picture of one of the other DJ's with a top prize of 2 million ISK. On any given day at least 25 million ISK will be given away as Prizes

There are also plenty of people happy to give you advice and more cool tunes than you can shake a very large stick at.

Check it out

• madnessmageemadnessmagee Member Posts: 69

Some Quick Tips

-Do the early missions they recommend you it helps your standing alot. But dont keep with them forever.

-Get into a corporation asap, you dont know how much you will enjoy eve more. look at the stations for corps.

-Don't try and rush for a battleship, enjoy the game you'll be alot happier.

-Do combat missions with a good standing corp if you don't like mining much. You get good named loot too =)

Guin/Mid

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by madnessmagee

Great advice.  I can't tell you how many players make that mistake.  They rush training for a BS very early in the game mine constantly to get one and then they find out they have no other skills to the use equipment that make a BS useful.  And you can be killed in a BS.  It doesn't make you invincible.

Thanks for all the tips so far! Once I've completed the tutorial and completed some training missions, what should I do next? This game is somewhat overwhelming. Also, I downloaded the client, so I have no instruction manual or any documentation that explains the HUD and what functions are assigned to what keys. I feel like I've been literally dropped off in space with no instruction. Scary. ::::23::

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

Here is a link to a FAQ for new players.  It answers a lot of questions.

http://members.cox.net/webcore/eve/

As far as what to do after the training missions...The ball is really in your court.  Your first short term goal should be to get a better ship.  How do you get money for this?  At the beginning of the game it should be to mine do more agent missions.  Go to the eve-online website and look through the forums to get an idea of which direction you want your character to go.  The forums and fan sites are really the only way to answer game play questions.  The manual is now an old outdated POS.  I'd say less than 25% of it's content is still accurate.

• BronenekBronenek Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by imasig

Originally posted by madnessmagee

Great advice.  I can't tell you how many players make that mistake.  They rush training for a BS very early in the game mine constantly to get one and then they find out they have no other skills to the use equipment that make a BS useful.  And you can be killed in a BS.  It doesn't make you invincible.

Oh yes. In fact you can be killed in a BS much easier than I expected. I must have gone through at least 5 BS now, one from being taken down by 5 player pirates all in frigates.

I'm catching on. It's complex, but everyone is helpful. ::::17::

I love this game so far! No chance of EVE being shut down anytime soon, I hope. If only I could browse this site in-game.... ::::33::

• BronenekBronenek Member Posts: 240

I'm catching on. It's complex, but everyone is helpful. ::::17::
    I love this game so far! No chance of EVE being shut down anytime soon, I hope. If only I could browse this site in-game.... ::::33::

I doubt ingame browsing for this site anytime soon ROFL

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526
    I wish the tutorial was better. I got 5 minutes into it and was lost. It said to click to move closer to an object or something and there wasn't a "next" button to click after that, only Back. I flew around to a few objects (not really sure what they were", asked a few people on (no help there) and gave up. The controls were a little awkward to me as was the interface. I may try again today as I don't want to waste $20 for nothing but wasn't that imressed with it.

• StyrmirStyrmir Member Posts: 4

Looks interesting! I'm feeling it out now. In-game text is a bit hard to read, but I'll manage.

Welcome aboard :-) Many good tips here.

Regarding the letters there are settings that you might be able to change for them to look better in Esc menu (Text alignment) and by trying different settings of the chatbox itself.

• StyrmirStyrmir Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by admriker444
    I wish the tutorial was better. I got 5 minutes into it and was lost. It said to click to move closer to an object or something and there wasn't a "next" button to click after that, only Back. I flew around to a few objects (not really sure what they were", asked a few people on (no help there) and gave up. The controls were a little awkward to me as was the interface. I may try again today as I don't want to waste $20 for nothing but wasn't that imressed with it.

Well, actually one of the few bad things about Eve is the tutorial since it can be hard to get back into it if you have went astray.

Even if the flying tutorial went wrong for you, you can still dock and do the instation tutorial I think.

Also there are two nice  channels for asking questions: "Help" and "Rookie help" plus of course the www.eve-online.com website

Good luck :-)

• TimeKeeprTimeKeepr Member Posts: 2

I'm catching on. It's complex, but everyone is helpful. ::::17::I love this game so far! No chance of EVE being shut down anytime soon, I hope. If only I could browse this site in-game.... ::::33::MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

i am pretty sure eve will be around for years to come. CCP is hard at work on some major updates. most notably, the one named "shiva". its anyones guess when this is coming around, but it will be this year sometime, and it will have much more player owned structures, and new ships, new things to explore.

besides, EVE is CCP's first and only game. i doubt theyd drop this game unless there was some serious, serious problems with it. if EVE dies, then so does CCP, until they think of something new. its different for other MMO developers such as EA, and SquareEnix, which are much larger companies with lots of resources. for those big companies, letting one of their game die off isnt a big deal...but with CCP it would be, see what i mean?

as far as some advice, well always be aware of your surroundings. keep the local window separated from the rest so its always visible and you can get a quick glance at the number of people in your current system. this also makes it easy to view any player pirates that might be around.

you can also join the Help channel in-game and ask players in there for some help. to go to the help channel, find the channels button on the left side bar, and the Help channel should already be in the list.

finally if you need anymore help, you can always contact me in-game with this screen name.

oh, and if you want to browse this site while playing the game, you should put EVE in windowed mode, then you can switch back and forth between the game and this website.

Have fun! see ya later!