Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Title do you want to be BioWare's New MMO ?[Release Date: 2009] COME ON Target is 1000 VOTES !

Comments

• BahemothBahemoth Member Posts: 126
    I think it should be a shadowrun MMO taht would be sexy

---edit---

numa fallout would be nice but if i remeber right Bethesda bought the fallout franchise recently and is working on fallout 3 (and as we all know bethesda prettymuch refuses to do an MMO)
  • FunseikiFunseiki Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I would love to see just about any of those become an MMO. Knights was fun. Mass Effect gon be crazy. Jade Empire would be a cool action MMO. If Bioware made an mmo, regardless of its title, I think it would be a hit.
  • zaykodroidzaykodroid Member Posts: 220
    up
    up
    up
  • airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542
    I will put my vote in for KoTOR MMO.  Based on SWG's negative publicity, I think it may possibly break all records..

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    i already voted kotor, but i am almost certain they already started making a kotor mmo...
    Originally posted by jayheld90

i already voted kotor, but i am almost certain they already started making a kotor mmo...
    hmm...what are the resources of your certainty ?
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by khrag

KotOR 1st by far...

But if they did Jade Empire right, that could be a lot of fun too!
    Yeah, I would be happy with a Jade Empire MMO as well.  Very well made game and great story line like all of Bioware's games.  Personally, I think the upcoming MMO has a very good chance of being a Jade Empire setting.  Not basing it on any facts, just going on instinct and the first thing that came to mind back when they first announced they were making a MMO.  Though KOTOR would be my first choice as well.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

I put Other ..since they already said their MMO is a completely new IP and they're currently not interested in doing Liscenced IP's after well .. working for Lucas Arts.

If its any of the other choices listed though it'd still be cool I love BioWare

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

Originally posted by elvenangel

I put Other ..since they already said their MMO is a completely new IP and they're currently not interested in doing Liscenced IP's after well .. working for Lucas Arts.

When did Bioware say they are using a completely new IP?  You aren't the first to say this but I visit the Bioware site about once a week and subscribed to news letters and have yet to see this for myself.  You have a link to confirm this? 
    Originally posted by elvenangel

they never said a word like that.

Well if it's not an established IP then why do they need this?

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/positions/austin_producer_licensor_liaison.html

Project Management

• Manages and tracks all license approval submissions and the overall submission process including follow up and contract compliance.
    Originally posted by achesoma

Well if it's not an established IP then why do they need this?

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/positions/austin_producer_licensor_liaison.html

Project Management

Manages and tracks all license approval submissions and the overall submission process including follow up and contract compliance.

YEAAAAAH!

• HellsWizardHellsWizard Member Posts: 44

It's got to be baldur's gate !! it's just got too !!!

A wise BG NPC once said, " Me wife's gotten prickly on me eyes. "

• wouldzeywouldzey Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Flyte27

The main problem with a Star Wars MMO is the classes are hard to balence.  Jedi should be the strongest combat class.  Because they are popular they will attract a lot of people and because they are powerful in combat they will attrack the power gammer. 

One option is to make everyone Jedi's and have differnt classes of Jedi's.  You first have the light side vs dark side.  Choosing differnt sides give you differnt force powers to use for the same Jedi Classes.

Next you will want to have the differnt classes similiar to KOTOR.  You have Gardian types that are the tanks,  you have Sentinal types that are rogue like, and you have Councilor's who are the healers/buffers/debuffers.   They will have differnt powers based on lightside or darkside.  You could probably split Jedi's up into even more classes so it's a little more diverse.

Another option would be to start as a certain class and then give the option for players to convert to certain types of Jedi at certain levels.  You could go to an acadamy like in Jedi Knight, Jedi Acadamy.

Personally I think it's better to just go with all Jedi so you don't have to worry about balence and just split them up into a lot of differnt classes.

Personally i would like the see the world expanded into the class systems. What i mean is that i want to see the class systems as simply a reflection of the star wars world. Not simply your run of the mill classes with star warsy sounding names bolted onto a game world. I want to live in the game world and then play my character how i think he would in that world. No more becoming a tank and then going bantha hunting on tat for hides. I want my actions and the way i play to define the class i develope into. So intead of this more traditional class vs game interaction, my character would be born to the word of tattooine, brought up in the hills and due to a natural desire to explore the worlds of the known galaxy, he would find it natural to develop his scouting abilities and nowledge of the world round him. By pure preference he would find it fitting to develope his long range rifle skills primarily to compliment his core desires. He would then pick up a couple of hobbies such as basic contruction and cooking then pick up creature handling as a vocation.

This example is in essense what i'd love to see, a dream or vision of my perfect type of star wars mmo.

The class system as highlighted above breaks down into the following structure:

1. Your Class
      • This determins the class you pick and will ultimately plays the most significant part in your character creation. Examples of which would be Squad Leader, Jedi, Medic, Scout, Operative, Merchant and Engineer etc.  
    2. Your Weapons Training
      • This decision allows you to get involved in weapons training if you desire. Out of a pool of points gained through play and experience you basically choose what you would lke to get involved in and how you would like to play. Although the end discision in completely yours (there is nothing stopping you having a medic class with heavy weapons load-out) some classes will benefit particular setups and develop into sub-clases of their own! Examples of this type of weapons training could be Long Range Tactical Sniping, Riflemanship, Carbineering, Heavy Weapons, Martial Arts and Swordsmanship.
    3. Your Hobbies
      • Hobbies are essentially basic 'tasters' of vocations. They allow you to 'dabble' in come areas of the game to broaden your style, round off your character and compliment your playstyle with fun and useful skills and abilities. You are allowed to master 2 hobbies and must attain mastery in a specific hobby to follow on and make that hobby line you're vocation. Examples of hobbies would be: Gardening, Construction, Entertaining, Science, Weapons Crafting, Armourments.
    4. Your Vocation
      • Vocations reflect your desire to push your interests into become more than just a hobbie, but instead a vocation, and becoming a true master of your chosen field of expertise. You are allowed to follow on from one of your mastered hobbies into the following vocation in that class. Eventually after you have mastered your vocation, you will have a vocation and a hobbie (a master class and a taster class to supliment). Examples of this extra vocational training would be going from the ability to maintain a garden and place basic plants and garden ornaments to creating these garden items, growing your plants from cuttings and seeds and developing the skills to actually modify gardens, maintain other peoples gardens and grown your own food stuff plants. Construction would be a hobby in making simple items from resources to a vocation in being able to build houses for yourself or others, terrain modifcation and household furnature construction.

All in all, as you can see, these options do not enforce a class on you, it simply allows you to live your character then to develope him/her how you wish. You can be a Ranger, specialize in Riflemanship, Take up a vocation in gardening with a hobby in creature handling and have your wandering ranger who is an expert sharpshooter who can survive off the land, loves nature and exploration and his pet nuna, Bob!

The reason why i choose this set up as opposed to just profession credits as in the original SWG is that in this system you arnt left out of massive parts of the game simply because you want to go all combat, or all crafting or all support. You have a weapons class, you have a skills class, you have a supliment class and you have a social class. The most beneficial reason in terms of a developer standpoint for using this structure would be in balance terms. Nobody can just pick up every powerfull ranged profession out there. Sure they can go operative to employ stealth and backally skills then top up with sniper weapons training to become a great stealth combatant but that is the players choice. He/she can just as easily pick up Merchant, then heavy weapons training and become one shop keeper even the most determined theif would stay away from.

Choice is the best part of this setup. You get to tailor your character and be unique, yet not miss parts of the game. You dont always want to be a crafter, some may and can but even those people should be able to put down the hammer and laser tongs and go hunting when they want! They can in this structure.

To suppliment this, the class system would be intergrated into the faction systems. Instead of having one class on one side or for instance only madalorians can be snipers etc, you can pick whatever class you want and join whatever faction you want. Your choices determin how you progress through the game, how you get you training, where you get it from and perhaps even where you live!

Below i've broken down the 4 factions that i believe best fits the old republic times and talked in brief about them. If people want i can break these down further but obviously i dont expect many to read this haha. Anyways....:

• Jedi/Sith
      • Joining the jedi/sith ranks doesnt essentially mean you need actually be a jedi or a sith. It is simply a faction although joinin at least through your early jedi days would aid you a lot more but it all depends whether you want the jedi backstory or want to carve out your own path as a lone jedi seeking his/her own path with the force. You can join the ranks of the jedi or sith as a normal combatant too. The morals of the jedi and aid of their cause is not just for those wielding lightsabers.
    • Madalorian
      • A once great society of battlehardened warriors. Now the best mercs in the galaxy. joining this faction is not for the faint of heart as only the true warriors get anywhere in the madalor ranks! In true Mandalorian style you will seek out danger from the very start of this faction and throughout your days, try to prove yourself in the presense of heroes!
    • Zerka Corp (sp)
      • As most of you who have played KOTOR in the past will know, Zerka (not sure if i've spelt it right) Corporation essentially governs itself. Just thinking for a minute about the possiblility of belonging to this faction is exciting. How will you choose to protect it's opperations? How will you help the company branch out into new markets? Its up to you!
    • Freelance
      • Bound by no rules, you make your own way through life. This is the way of the freelance. essentially a factionless faction but with a deadly underbelly and a quiet yet intelliegent mind. You can choose not to participate at all, or get involved in the underground resistance, form your own trade alliences and even make you own sub faction with freelance!

These would be your factions however not as we knew them in SWG (admittedly sounds a bit daft considering no rebel/imperial). They arnt simply a enemy flag, they are ways of life and opportunities. They work with and against each other in different ways. Mandalorians hate the jedi and sith, zerka hates the freelancers and likewise of the reverse. There are alliences and grudges between all the factions and joining onefaction with certainly change the way the others reac to you!

God i could go on forever! Basically i want KOTOR Online

But it has to be different! It has to move the mmo market on and create an online world in the star wars universe, not just a star wars looking mmo like SWG.

Bioware are THE development house out there in my eyes having both the experience in the sw franchise and company culture that encourages trying something different to make it better means the best chance of making it an amazing genre defining game. The market needs to move on, i believe bioware with help from the new direction of lucas would simply be amazing!

Anyways ill leave it at that before i end up writing a bloody book. Sorry if i went ona bit too much.

Owen-Lars

Thortac Balcor - The Lost Ranger - Forever an SWG Ranger

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Though I'm not sure I care whether BioWare makes it, a new SW MMO would be cool.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

now i didnt read the 10 pages of post so i dont know if some1 has said but.....

not to rain on any1 parade but most of the grief towards nge was the fact any1 could be a jedi so KOTOR every1 would be jedi. now i did see a post where some explained classes that looked good. But i voted mass effect because i want a combat scifi mmo that takes place over 100s of worlds.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• wouldzeywouldzey Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Arndur

now i didnt read the 10 pages of post so i dont know if some1 has said but.....
    not to rain on any1 parade but most of the grief towards nge was the fact any1 could be a jedi so KOTOR every1 would be jedi. now i did see a post where some explained classes that looked good. But i voted mass effect because i want a combat scifi mmo that takes place over 100s of worlds.

To be honest i quit the game and as did my friends because we no longer felt part of the game. Too many highways forcing you down specific paths and totally a complete show of incompetance in how they managed the changes they did. I was the Ranger Correspondent for a long time so i loved the game to pieces, the potential of it to be perfectly honest but that potential was just wasted an dispite what i hope it will become (ill never be back however) it will never have that same feel or excitement about it.

They deleted my profession that id spent hundreds and hundreds of hours playng and becoming great at for more than 2 years. That is unfogivable. SOE will never get my money again!

Originally posted by wouldzey

The main problem with a Star Wars MMO is the classes are hard to balence.  Jedi should be the strongest combat class.  Because they are popular they will attract a lot of people and because they are powerful in combat they will attrack the power gammer. 

One option is to make everyone Jedi's and have differnt classes of Jedi's.  You first have the light side vs dark side.  Choosing differnt sides give you differnt force powers to use for the same Jedi Classes.

Next you will want to have the differnt classes similiar to KOTOR.  You have Gardian types that are the tanks,  you have Sentinal types that are rogue like, and you have Councilor's who are the healers/buffers/debuffers.   They will have differnt powers based on lightside or darkside.  You could probably split Jedi's up into even more classes so it's a little more diverse.

Another option would be to start as a certain class and then give the option for players to convert to certain types of Jedi at certain levels.  You could go to an acadamy like in Jedi Knight, Jedi Acadamy.

Personally I think it's better to just go with all Jedi so you don't have to worry about balence and just split them up into a lot of differnt classes.

Personally i would like the see the world expanded into the class systems. What i mean is that i want to see the class systems as simply a reflection of the star wars world. Not simply your run of the mill classes with star warsy sounding names bolted onto a game world. I want to live in the game world and then play my character how i think he would in that world. No more becoming a tank and then going bantha hunting on tat for hides. I want my actions and the way i play to define the class i develope into. So intead of this more traditional class vs game interaction, my character would be born to the word of tattooine, brought up in the hills and due to a natural desire to explore the worlds of the known galaxy, he would find it natural to develop his scouting abilities and nowledge of the world round him. By pure preference he would find it fitting to develope his long range rifle skills primarily to compliment his core desires. He would then pick up a couple of hobbies such as basic contruction and cooking then pick up creature handling as a vocation.

This example is in essense what i'd love to see, a dream or vision of my perfect type of star wars mmo.

The class system as highlighted above breaks down into the following structure:

1. Your Class
      • This determins the class you pick and will ultimately plays the most significant part in your character creation. Examples of which would be Squad Leader, Jedi, Medic, Scout, Operative, Merchant and Engineer etc.  
    2. Your Weapons Training
      • This decision allows you to get involved in weapons training if you desire. Out of a pool of points gained through play and experience you basically choose what you would lke to get involved in and how you would like to play. Although the end discision in completely yours (there is nothing stopping you having a medic class with heavy weapons load-out) some classes will benefit particular setups and develop into sub-clases of their own! Examples of this type of weapons training could be Long Range Tactical Sniping, Riflemanship, Carbineering, Heavy Weapons, Martial Arts and Swordsmanship.
    3. Your Hobbies
      • Hobbies are essentially basic 'tasters' of vocations. They allow you to 'dabble' in come areas of the game to broaden your style, round off your character and compliment your playstyle with fun and useful skills and abilities. You are allowed to master 2 hobbies and must attain mastery in a specific hobby to follow on and make that hobby line you're vocation. Examples of hobbies would be: Gardening, Construction, Entertaining, Science, Weapons Crafting, Armourments.
    4. Your Vocation
      • Vocations reflect your desire to push your interests into become more than just a hobbie, but instead a vocation, and becoming a true master of your chosen field of expertise. You are allowed to follow on from one of your mastered hobbies into the following vocation in that class. Eventually after you have mastered your vocation, you will have a vocation and a hobbie (a master class and a taster class to supliment). Examples of this extra vocational training would be going from the ability to maintain a garden and place basic plants and garden ornaments to creating these garden items, growing your plants from cuttings and seeds and developing the skills to actually modify gardens, maintain other peoples gardens and grown your own food stuff plants. Construction would be a hobby in making simple items from resources to a vocation in being able to build houses for yourself or others, terrain modifcation and household furnature construction.

All in all, as you can see, these options do not enforce a class on you, it simply allows you to live your character then to develope him/her how you wish. You can be a Ranger, specialize in Riflemanship, Take up a vocation in gardening with a hobby in creature handling and have your wandering ranger who is an expert sharpshooter who can survive off the land, loves nature and exploration and his pet nuna, Bob!

The reason why i choose this set up as opposed to just profession credits as in the original SWG is that in this system you arnt left out of massive parts of the game simply because you want to go all combat, or all crafting or all support. You have a weapons class, you have a skills class, you have a supliment class and you have a social class. The most beneficial reason in terms of a developer standpoint for using this structure would be in balance terms. Nobody can just pick up every powerfull ranged profession out there. Sure they can go operative to employ stealth and backally skills then top up with sniper weapons training to become a great stealth combatant but that is the players choice. He/she can just as easily pick up Merchant, then heavy weapons training and become one shop keeper even the most determined theif would stay away from.

Choice is the best part of this setup. You get to tailor your character and be unique, yet not miss parts of the game. You dont always want to be a crafter, some may and can but even those people should be able to put down the hammer and laser tongs and go hunting when they want! They can in this structure.

To suppliment this, the class system would be intergrated into the faction systems. Instead of having one class on one side or for instance only madalorians can be snipers etc, you can pick whatever class you want and join whatever faction you want. Your choices determin how you progress through the game, how you get you training, where you get it from and perhaps even where you live!

Below i've broken down the 4 factions that i believe best fits the old republic times and talked in brief about them. If people want i can break these down further but obviously i dont expect many to read this haha. Anyways....:

• Jedi/Sith
      • Joining the jedi/sith ranks doesnt essentially mean you need actually be a jedi or a sith. It is simply a faction although joinin at least through your early jedi days would aid you a lot more but it all depends whether you want the jedi backstory or want to carve out your own path as a lone jedi seeking his/her own path with the force. You can join the ranks of the jedi or sith as a normal combatant too. The morals of the jedi and aid of their cause is not just for those wielding lightsabers.
    • Madalorian
      • A once great society of battlehardened warriors. Now the best mercs in the galaxy. joining this faction is not for the faint of heart as only the true warriors get anywhere in the madalor ranks! In true Mandalorian style you will seek out danger from the very start of this faction and throughout your days, try to prove yourself in the presense of heroes!
    • Zerka Corp (sp)
      • As most of you who have played KOTOR in the past will know, Zerka (not sure if i've spelt it right) Corporation essentially governs itself. Just thinking for a minute about the possiblility of belonging to this faction is exciting. How will you choose to protect it's opperations? How will you help the company branch out into new markets? Its up to you!
    • Freelance
      • Bound by no rules, you make your own way through life. This is the way of the freelance. essentially a factionless faction but with a deadly underbelly and a quiet yet intelliegent mind. You can choose not to participate at all, or get involved in the underground resistance, form your own trade alliences and even make you own sub faction with freelance!

These would be your factions however not as we knew them in SWG (admittedly sounds a bit daft considering no rebel/imperial). They arnt simply a enemy flag, they are ways of life and opportunities. They work with and against each other in different ways. Mandalorians hate the jedi and sith, zerka hates the freelancers and likewise of the reverse. There are alliences and grudges between all the factions and joining onefaction with certainly change the way the others reac to you!

God i could go on forever! Basically i want KOTOR Online

But it has to be different! It has to move the mmo market on and create an online world in the star wars universe, not just a star wars looking mmo like SWG.

Bioware are THE development house out there in my eyes having both the experience in the sw franchise and company culture that encourages trying something different to make it better means the best chance of making it an amazing genre defining game. The market needs to move on, i believe bioware with help from the new direction of lucas would simply be amazing!

Anyways ill leave it at that before i end up writing a bloody book. Sorry if i went ona bit too much.

Owen-Lars

Thortac Balcor - The Lost Ranger - Forever an SWG Ranger

it is a good explanation.and i have one more idea about a new prof, called Cantina Operator, here is take a look:

www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

You guys are welcome to your own opinion on what a Star Wars MMO should be.  I see you put a lot more thought into it then I did.  I played the orignal Star Wars Galaxies and I also played the NGE version though I wasn't heavily into the game like some people.  I wouldn't model a Star Wars game after SWG at any point though.

First the time setting is a poor one because there aren't many Jedi around.  Hello the main attraction to the Star Wars universe is the Jedi.  The rest of the classes/proffesions are your typical sci-fi boring stuff that only a few die hard Star Wars fans might want to play.

Second there are major class balence issues if you have differnt classes.  It's better to just have Jedi and split them into classes as I mentioned.  That way you don't have to worry about balence issues between the classes as much. 

Third crafting should be a completly seperate way to adavance from combat unlike in SWG.  It should be something you can work on when you are not advancing your combat skills. 

Fourth the main point of the game should be a battle between the Jedi and Sith.  This is the type of enviroment that attracks most people to play.  Not a world where you can be a farmer or a trader in the Star Wars universe.  I believe you can still do that in SWG to a lot lesser extent then you used to and it didn't draw in many people anyway.

Allowing everyone to be able to become Jedi only hurt Star Wars Galaxies because there were other classes and so they had to put a nerf on Jedi to balence everything.  This would not be the case in this game.   Remember also the combat and crafting systems were revambed to be more like a FPS which was a much larger role in the downfall of SWG because the game really had no direction.  It went from a turn based combat system to a FPSish type of combat system and it didn't work out very well.

I also have an idea about classes.  Perhaps you could choose two classes to advance in to satisfy people.  You can choose a Jedi class "Gardien", a normal class "Smuggler", and a trade proffesion" Armor Crafter".  You can level all three to max.  This could allow some dabling in normal Star Wars classes while still giving people the opportunity to play Jedi and trade skill classes.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

First the time setting is a poor one because there aren't many Jedi around.  Hello the main attraction to the Star Wars universe is the Jedi.  The rest of the classes/proffesions are your typical sci-fi boring stuff that only a few die hard Star Wars fans might want to play.
    it is not true imo, because especially after KOTOR, there are lots of Mandolorians, Bounty Hunters fans and a huge fraction supporters like Hutts, Black Suns , Zerka Corp...
  • RollingrockRollingrock Member Posts: 4
    A new SW mmo, that actually worked well would be my best hope.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by zaykodroid

it is not true imo, because especially after KOTOR, there are lots of Mandolorians, Bounty Hunters fans and a huge fraction supporters like Hutts, Black Suns , Zerka Corp...

Perhaps though the majority of fans would like to play  as a Jedi and Jedi as you know are more powerful then any other class in the game which brings balence issues.  I'm certain the game would do better with only Jedi classes then it would like they did in SWG where they had a lot of normal classes with a one in a million chance to unlock the Jedi so you could be the one overpowered combat class in the game.

Just to add to that I don't remember anyone complainning they only could be Jedi in KOTOR or KOTOR2.

• catinhatcatinhat Member Posts: 19

well if you follow the same settings as kotor did all jedi would atleast not seem horribly over the top like swg did. but i dont like all jedi idea i like the idea of smuggler bh et. just not the new way of it. i think bioware could do it ok.

im thinking a mmo set in the sincity (move) world woulda been interesting

This discussion has been closed.