Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why UO Rules and everything else sucks! :P

VegsterVegster Member Posts: 20

So Ive been playing Europa shard now for just short of 6 years, Ive played through every expansion since renaissance and loved every moment of it. People do complain about adding expansions and big patches. But in my eyes they have only added extra content to the beginning game [ which lets be fair, was the beginning of the MMO genre ] Im sorry but all you people playing your warcrafts and there lame clones would be highly racked off if they didnt add content to the game to make it better. So they've added content which could be considered wild. Why not hmm? Overcome and adapt! Dont live in the stone age and dwell on what was.

As I say ive been playing for just short of 6 years now, ive seen players come and go, but they have always had a positive experiance with the game, people play and leave games all the time. Why should this game get stick for it. Being as keen as I have with this game means when I go to other games. I cant find or match the community spirit no matter where I go. Roleplaying on this game is Unequalled anywhere else in the gaming world in my eyes. Anyone that knows any different please point me in that direction of this game. Cause I would gladly give it a try :P

Comments

• I gotta say you are a rare breed liking the game from before UO:R and up to past whatever expansion they are up to now. So many people got so pissed at AoS and completely quit the game due to them trying to copy a D2 style of play with the "Artifacts" and no longer a real penalty for death.

Owell, I guess having In Vas Mani casting quicker than In Mani if ya had the gear didn't irritate everyone.
  • VegsterVegster Member Posts: 20
    Because of how I actually play UO ie Roleplay, things like equipment and fighting rules are controlled and the play is alot more harmless things like specials have only made the combat more exciting for everybody....none of the random swinging just watching chunks slowly go out of the healthbar. There are still lots of diehards like myself which would rather play the game even though its changed for the wurse in there eyes, than start a game that just hasnt got the community and atmosphere like UO.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Vegster

Because of how I actually play UO ie Roleplay, things like equipment and fighting rules are controlled and the play is alot more harmless things like specials have only made the combat more exciting for everybody....none of the random swinging just watching chunks slowly go out of the healthbar. There are still lots of diehards like myself which would rather play the game even though its changed for the wurse in there eyes, than start a game that just hasnt got the community and atmosphere like UO.
    But see, for many players, (such as myself), community and atmosphere are pretty low on the list of things in an MMORPG that appeal to me.  When DAOC added the TOA expansion, (and the changes to the pvp realms)  it got worse in my eyes, and I stopped playing it shortly thereafter. Told my guildmates good luck and goodbye...played L2 as I recall until WOW came out.  (we won't talk about those short excursions into GW, COH/COV and Shadowbane)

For me its all about the gameplay, and I'm always searching for better and better gameplay. (hence I've moved through about 8 MMO's over the past 7 years or so)

I actually plan on giving UO a trial once the graphics update gets implemented, just to say I've giventhe game a try. (even though it might be a shadow of its former self according to the purists)

I'm glad you're still having fun, but you are a category of gamer that I've never understood, what I call the "hanger-oners", those who just won't let go of their old games (like AC1, EQ 1 and many others) because of the time they have invested in the game, or their friends or whatever. 

Me...I look ever forward.... since leaving WOW I've tried VG, now playing LoTRO, plan on playing Granado Espada - SotNW, WAR, perhaps AOC, Tabula Rasa and who knows, perhaps 2 or 3 more.  Its never been a better time than right now to be a MMORPG gamer, at least from my perspective.

Thats the beauty of it all, we get to play whatever makes us happy...and not someone else.... 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Heh....you dont have to worry about my attention span, I suppose All I have left to say is that its not only the community and friends Ive made in Real life not just in the Game from playing this, but the gameplay is a big factor too. I think the big factor in UO that puts me off alot of game is the unique skill gain system it has, though these days its generally ruined by things like easyUO a scripting program. This is something they have promised to try and sort out, and once again make the game a challenge to get that most sort of GM skill. The Housing system is unmatched in any game again that Ive tried, the ability to create a house from scratch and fill it with the most random stuff possible. The Crafting system which set a standard to all of its predecessors to beat, they introduced the likes of recipes so people could achieve something other than a few lousey gold from there crafting.

As ive said before Im quite open to suggestions of games if anyone has a game that they believe has similair things to Uo, but bare in mind, if your perspective to games isnt like mine, I doubt I would enjoy them :/

• Kruniac1Kruniac1 Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by namelessbob

I gotta say you are a rare breed liking the game from before UO:R and up to past whatever expansion they are up to now. So many people got so pissed at AoS and completely quit the game due to them trying to copy a D2 style of play with the "Artifacts" and no longer a real penalty for death.

Owell, I guess having In Vas Mani casting quicker than In Mani if ya had the gear didn't irritate everyone.
    AoS eats pen0r. Free shards - UO:R, or even T2A. Thats the way to go.
  • TrykenTryken Ultima Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 63

I've been playing UO on and off since I joined in AoS. I've definitely come back for a long stay, this time, though, especially with KR coming out. I love the game more than ever. With mythic part of the team, they're really working hard for the players. And after the wounds I've felt from games like Star Wars Galaxies, the developement teams working /for/ the community is a sweet change of pace, indeed. One I'm really getting used to.

Best,

Tryken.

• Originally posted by Tryken

I've been playing UO on and off since I joined in AoS. I've definitely come back for a long stay, this time, though, especially with KR coming out. I love the game more than ever. With mythic part of the team, they're really working hard for the players. And after the wounds I've felt from games like Star Wars Galaxies, the developement teams working /for/ the community is a sweet change of pace, indeed. One I'm really getting used to.
    Best,
    Tryken.
    You started with AoS though. All of this content they are adding to get people like you playing. Not saying its bad, its just their model for the game now. I gotta say anyone who has played Pre-UO:R and up till now is just shocking. It just isn't the same game, surprised they continue to call it Ultima Online.
  • lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855

UO is still by far the best game out there even though i HATE EA. so many gamers are more graphics whores than content. i like replay ability. games like wow there isnt enough class options you played a dwarf pally you have played any other type of pally you can make. daoc same thing.

i love the openess of uo's crafting skill system. i can make a stealth mage, a bard tamer, a nox mage, necro mage, a fencer mage, a bow mage, a dex monkey fighter, a lumberjack fighter, a healer fighter, a you name it i can make it character. i can make a pure crafter that i can gm in all crafting skills and not have to level to raise skills in crafting ala wow. hunting gets boreing i can go modify my home until i like it get bored doing that i can craft get bored doing that i can pvp get bored doing that i can sell rares at the bank get bored doing that i can help noobs.

theres not any other game out there i can play that has those options.

also i have played before and after UOR. im not playing now cause im on a mac.

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by lyonman24

UO is still by far the best game out there...
    Only a person with very little experience with what is "out there" would state that.
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    UO does have many many options for you to do things.  I could still go in that game and play for ever more.  I used to LOVE treasure hunting, LOVE it.  It was, to me, the best aspect of the game.  Finding a map, trying to figure out where it is, then digging it up and fighting off the mobs.  If I was not playing WoW with my gf, I'd be playing UO again.  The game is just magic.  Sure, I guess I'm a "hanger-oners" but at least I'm not spending $50 every couple of months for a new game that I might not like. 
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

I used to love treasure hunting too; I was mainly a mage/fisherman/treasure hunter.  But, all have been completely ruined long ago by uber gear, excessive loot and rare recovery rates, imbalanced new items and skills, and scripting.  The developers seem to have no clue how to maintain a good balance within the game.

Anything worthwhile in UO does not last long as the developers eventually give away the efforts of their customers in order to sell more boxes every year.

semp we have had this discussion before yes i have played almost every game out there. none not even your precious roma victor has near the openness that UO has.

its still the biggest sandbox game out there you may not like my opinion thats fine. but i dont have to agree with your opinion on roma victor.

EQ biggest waste of time, one week of my life i wanted back. didnt like the style of play and people where very rude.

AC1 and AC2 interesting systems but didnt hold my interest.

daoc level 50 shammy got tired of it.

wow not enough option almost not playing again.

coh/cov nothing but gring and awsome costumes. got tired of it

ddo too boreing.

AO arg the lag kills. story line lacked. didnt like the interface.

Horizion too little of people other than that ok.

shadowbane too many gankers to level so moved on.

swg that was money i wish i could have spent on coffee.

roma victor just didnt like it too slow.

GW thank god it is free now i understand why.

L2 too many reasons to list just not my cup of tea.

earth and beyond awsome game fun for a space game damn EA

so yeah i have played plenty of games to say that UO is the best game out there still you just mad that its not just fel anymore. and you cant greef people. you may not like UO anymore but there are alot who still do.

Lyonman You rock! Pretty much got it in a nutshell...and trust me my list of games aint that big...but the ones ive tried aren't the same. Treasure hunting is not ruined btw...they even added harder spawn to the fishing front and on land T-hunting, you also get more worthwhile items, and though you can still do it by yourself, its always nice to take along your mates especially when your in the middle of the sea on a boat.  You people that love this game still, id love to know what shard you play :P and if none of you have tried roleplaying I want to know why! Harmless fun, the PVP is not item based and it lets your imagination run wild!

Originally posted by sempiternal

I used to love treasure hunting too; I was mainly a mage/fisherman/treasure hunter.  But, all have been completely ruined long ago by uber gear, excessive loot and rare recovery rates, imbalanced new items and skills, and scripting.  The developers seem to have no clue how to maintain a good balance within the game.
    Anything worthwhile in UO does not last long as the developers eventually give away the efforts of their customers in order to sell more boxes every year.
    I will have to agree with sempiternal on one thing.  They WILL give rare stuff away just so they can sell boxes.  Get this.  I remember when I bought the 9th anniversary pack, I got to choose 7 rare items.  So I chose my 7, two being the flame pants.  One guy offered 3 million for them and I gave them to him.  He then said "HAHA, they sell for 5 million, you got ripped."  I then threw on my other pair of them and said "no, that's ok, I got another." 

If you have something rare in the game, it will more than likey become popular.  I think the only true rare stuff in the game are the items from way way back in the day that they don't create anymore, like roses etc...

But, I will say that so far UO is still the best game out there.  Even though EA has changed it for the worst, it's still the best.  I'm actually thinking about picking UO up again this summer when finals are over with.  I'm sorry, but I just miss having a reason to log on.  Just hang out in my house, go treasure hunting.  UO is not about leveling and questing.  It's simply about just gaving a good time.  And in the end, that's what MMO should be all about. 
    /played-mmorpgs

semp we have had this discussion before yes i have played almost every game out there. none not even your precious roma victor has near the openness that UO has.
    so yeah i have played plenty of games to say that UO is the best game out there still you just mad that its not just fel anymore. and you cant greef people. you may not like UO anymore but there are alot who still do.

Those are some ridiculous statements, UO has become very restrictive.  Yes, it used to be a fairly open sandbox virtual world, but that was seven years ago!  You truly do seem out of touch with the levels of open-ness of sandbox games available today as you make the funny and inaccurate argument that UO is the best of not only them, but all games!

Everyone knows that combat is completely restricted in Trammel now and crafting is pretty much pointless as a result of limitless resources, supplies and uber items, so let's take a look at what most claim is one of UO's best features - skills.

In fact, in UO not only are you limited to the number of skill points you can have, but you are limited to which skills, items and classes you can use simply by which expansion you have or have not purchased, something completely external from the gameplay, for crying out loud.

In contrast, in Roma Victor you can have as many skills as you like.  You can custom build any type of character with almost any combination and level of those skills you desire.  Similar to real life, the more skills you learn the more difficult they become to both retain and learn new ones, but if you put in the effort you will be rewarded.

Then you go on to assume that I am a griefer - how sad is that.

ok semp so in pre uor you never not even once griefed someone it was always a fair fight. didnt camp the other persons body didnt loot his/hers corpes??? that is the biggest reason people loved pre tram. so yeah me calling you a griefer is acurate. also if you like i can dig into other posts from you and quote you saying you did grief if you like you admitted it once before so dont act innocent.

as for sandbox games uo still is the only one out there. oh roma victor unlimited skils you can learn but at what price playing every single day so you dont lose skill in one area thats sad. so looking back yes you are limited in roma victor on skills your limited by how much you play. oh no skill cap in uo 720 so i have 3 chars in you i work on to do what ever i want. or i can stay logged on to roma victor 24/7 on one char so dont lose skill. hmm what more fun for me lets think real hard.

I think ill stick to my variety of 7 charecters than 1 charecter with everything. Having the weakness of not having too many skills is ga good thing or everything will go completely over the top as far as PVP, PVM and crafting are concerned. MaeEye, if you wanna play UO again and you fancy giving Europa a shot [unless your already on it] give us a shout ;) or if you play Americain servers I know a good group of guys on Catskills.....and we will show you why UO is still an awesome very unique game to play.

Originally posted by Vegster

I think ill stick to my variety of 7 charecters than 1 charecter with everything. Having the weakness of not having too many skills is ga good thing or everything will go completely over the top as far as PVP, PVM and crafting are concerned. MaeEye, if you wanna play UO again and you fancy giving Europa a shot [unless your already on it] give us a shout ;) or if you play Americain servers I know a good group of guys on Catskills.....and we will show you why UO is still an awesome very unique game to play.
    I appreciate that.  I think my brother and I are both going to start it up the week after next.  Although we have some good characters on Chessy.  But I do appreciate your offer man.  This game has the best community.
    /played-mmorpgs

• PawelotPawelot Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I re-activated my account.. after years. Also bought Mondain. I am on Drachenfels, though... I met a friend from a long time ago, but I am not sure I'm happy there. Europa may be crowded, but Drachenfels is almost dead, it's so empty. I might transfer one of my Drachenfels chars to europa.. would anyone recommend that? I re-activated because I wanna see the graphical overhaul. 
    Europa, from what I hear, is a good server. 

I think the most popular servers are Europa, Pacific, Atlantic, and maybe Chesepeake.  I think.

Don't let the crowds get you.  Hell, if I met one of my friends from LONG LONG ago on a server.  I'd probably stay on that server :)
    /played-mmorpgs

ok semp so in pre uor you never not even once griefed someone it was always a fair fight. didnt camp the other persons body didnt loot his/hers corpes??? that is the biggest reason people loved pre tram. so yeah me calling you a griefer is acurate. also if you like i can dig into other posts from you and quote you saying you did grief if you like you admitted it once before so dont act innocent.
    as for sandbox games uo still is the only one out there. oh roma victor unlimited skils you can learn but at what price playing every single day so you dont lose skill in one area thats sad. so looking back yes you are limited in roma victor on skills your limited by how much you play. oh no skill cap in uo 720 so i have 3 chars in you i work on to do what ever i want. or i can stay logged on to roma victor 24/7 on one char so dont lose skill. hmm what more fun for me lets think real hard.

I've written you off as a clueless assuming kid.

No I never did grief anyone, search all you want.  As I corrected you earlier, I will correct you again, I am not a griefer, no matter how much you want to imagine that is true, it never will be.  I started UO as a humble fisherman and progressed into a mage and then a treasure hunter.  I only played one main character aside from newbie characters now and then.  So you are wrong, again.

As for your absurd claim that UO is still the only sandbox game out there, this is only more evidence that you have absolutely no clue.  You post here on a dedicated MMOG website, yet you probably have played nothing else but UO.  In comparision to newer sandbox games, I would not even classify UO as a sanbox game anylonger.

Do you know the definition of Trammel?  From Merriam-Webster; "something impeding activity, progress, or freedom."  Is that your definition of sandbox?  You are a prisioner chipping away at boulders in your UO "sandbox."

And again you make another incorrect assumption with Roma Victor, you don't lose skills while not logged in.  And you don't lose them while logged in either, unless you begin training a new skill and even then you only occasionally lose one point from skills that are low and that you have not used for a long time.  It's much more dynamic and "sandbox" than UO EVER was.

i never said it was the only one out there i said it the best one out there.

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

UO is still by far the best game out there even though i HATE EA. so many gamers are more graphics whores than content. i like replay ability. games like wow there isnt enough class options you played a dwarf pally you have played any other type of pally you can make. daoc same thing.
    i love the openess of uo's crafting skill system. i can make a stealth mage, a bard tamer, a nox mage, necro mage, a fencer mage, a bow mage, a dex monkey fighter, a lumberjack fighter, a healer fighter, a you name it i can make it character. i can make a pure crafter that i can gm in all crafting skills and not have to level to raise skills in crafting ala wow. hunting gets boreing i can go modify my home until i like it get bored doing that i can craft get bored doing that i can pvp get bored doing that i can sell rares at the bank get bored doing that i can help noobs.
    theres not any other game out there i can play that has those options.
    also i have played before and after UOR. im not playing now cause im on a mac.
    I too am on a Macbook and I use a program called Crossover to play UO.  You don't have to install windows at all and it runs smoothly and flawlessly. 

Check out Crossover.

really sweet. i will check it out and see if it will run on a powerbook g4 ty for the info

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978
    I remember playing this game on my Apple IIc

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett