Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3 and EvE

Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Here's a peek of what's to come with Shiva. The next major patch and near expansion pack for EvE.

http://articles.filefront.com/46

-=-=-=-=-
"We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Comments

• LordAnubisLordAnubis Member Posts: 112
    your link is broke

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996
    Doh, fixed now

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

• LordAnubisLordAnubis Member Posts: 112
    sounds good but the only thing that will make me come back is a fresh start a new server where every one can start on an equaal footing

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

Everyone could have started on equal footing if they joined the game back in May 2003.

I don't really see the problem though. In most MMORPG's established players will have more powerful characters, more money, better items, ect. than those people that are just starting out. EVE Online is basically like this. Once you get a few months of training in, you could basically do anything in a certain line of work, right along side those that have been doing it for a year now. 

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Achiever 46%, Socializer 33%, Explorer 33%

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• BaldurBaldur Member Posts: 56

I've played EVE on multiple occassions (each time getting burnt out), but I do know this. The players who have been here a long time are working on level "5" skills. In the time it takes a new player to train 5-6 skills up to lvl 4, the vet player will finally have his lvl 5 skill. Whats the difference from level 4 to level 5? Usually 2-3%.

This is a great system, IMHO, because new players can catch up quicker. Besides that, if you specialize and go certain paths (IE warfare, trading, etc) then you can catch up even quicker. Also, its not always about skills, but the player himself (when it comes to pvp).  Just my thoughts!

-Baldur

• wiggy101wiggy101 Member Posts: 7

Just read the article on upgrate,and I think its going to be a great addition.
    I want to take a moment to say how great the players are on this game... what a great group of fellow players. the help and advise is given most freely and all in all the game is very interesting ,
    I think EVE will be pretty much for the gamer who wants to think ,not that other games do not offer that option heaven knows,but eve is in a class with few others in this regard. I for one am happy to have found it.::::28::

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

Originally posted by LordAnubis
    sounds good but the only thing that will make me come back is a fresh start a new server where every one can start on an equaal footing
    They added implants wich up your attributes. It speeds up learning quite a bit so you can have a quite competitive character in a short time. Sure the others have more level 5 skills but believe me: It's not making a big difference.

• runemasterrunemaster Member UncommonPosts: 10

If you take an equally adept player and pin him up against another equally adept player, it'll be the player that's paid longer that will win (given that this is a time-based learning system). That's the KEY difference. You can't compare apples and oranges here; you have to compare people that are equally able. There is NO other way to catch up, and if both players are equal in ability, the new player is as good as dead in the water.

And while some L5 skills offer more than just 2-3% in advantage over an L4, even at that, the advantage IS indeed significant. You have to consider that the veteran will have more than just ONE L5 skill, and that some skills have other L5 skills as prerequisites for entirely new trees.

All this to say that a time-based system may be good for the developers and the casual players, but NOT for the hardcore gamer. Don't forget that this is PvP, so while Implants have been introduced, it alleviates the learning curve for everyone. This game is about competition; if there's no way to catch and surpass those around you, who would think of putting in the energy to even attempt to excel?

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

Runemaster,

I'm not trying to fuel the argument but your scenario of equally adept players facing off only holds true if the two players are in the exact same ship with the exact same equipment...which is a rare occurance.  Otherwise about a dozen other factors come into play along with the skills.

You're right though, EVE does not reward the power gamer with experience.  The power gamer is rewarded with wealth and items in EVE for the time spent in the game. 

• runemasterrunemaster Member UncommonPosts: 10

Originally posted by imasig

I'm not trying to fuel the argument but your scenario of equally adept players facing off only holds true if the two players are in the exact same ship with the exact same equipment...which is a rare occurance.  Otherwise about a dozen other factors come into play along with the skills.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. You can't say that the same players would have to be in the same ships for my statements to be true, otherwise you'd be accepting imbalance as a fundamental flaw in Eve. As a game revolving around PvP, that just wouldn't be acceptable. Also, if you're just making ship-to-ship comparisons, you're missing out on a larger side of the argument. What about the science skills? And the mining skills? I'm weighing each skill as equal against one another, as should be the fundamental requisite to any MMORPG.

So no, no other factors except the human choices made come into play. And that was covered with my statement of two players being equally adept. To say that they would have to make the same decisions would be stating that the game is not balanced. I'm making the assumption that that is the goal of the development team. As well, skills, ships and the like can be changed over time; the fundamental design of the learning system is what I'm stating is flawed, and that, unfortunately, is not likely to change.