Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC latest demo: Is it just me or is the texture DX8-like

shadowrunxtshadowrunxt Member UncommonPosts: 121

Here's the latest demo in high definition released by funcom: ftp://ftp.funcom.com/media/Age_of_Conan/videos/24jan07/conan_dx10_tease_720p.wmv

The demo is an in-game video.  It looks like the texture is from a DX7 or DX8 game.  The only noticeable DX10 feature is the lighting.

Comments

• GfrantGfrant Member Posts: 14
    I guess we won't know until we play.
  • TrickyThumbTrickyThumb Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by shadowrunxt

Here's the latest demo in high definition released by funcom: ftp://ftp.funcom.com/media/Age_of_Conan/videos/24jan07/conan_dx10_tease_720p.wmv
    The demo is an in-game video.  It looks like the texture is from a DX7 or DX8 game.  The only noticeable DX10 feature is the lighting.

Well first off, those textures didn't look THAT terrible.

Secondly, notice where it says 'work in progress' at the end of the video? Many games use placeholder textures of lower quality when the game engine is still being fine-tuned. I wouldn't be surprised if right now the game runs fairly sloppy at highest settings (Read: high or mega high textures) so they're probably running that video on slightly lower settings to get a nice silky frame rate.
  • skyofavalonskyofavalon Member Posts: 8
    I have yet to see a  gameplay video  with great graphics,only in some screen shots.The game will probably wind up having good graphics for an MMO,but only average graphics on the whole.
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by shadowrunxt

It just you.

Try watching some of the videos from the RPC'07: http://stage6.divx.com/Age-of-Conan/videos/tag:rpc

Although some are recorded poorly it gives us insight to magic casting more and shows off how the game is coming along.

The character textures and environment textures all look pretty high to me. This is all positive seeing as the game still has 5 months to go till launch.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Note to the OP: Most videos have been taken at DX9 quality. Also mind, screenshots undoubtedly are taken with the games graphics pumped as high as they can possibly go. :)

If this damn website would allow more then 100 characters (which comes down to like 20 words) my signature  would be the following;

Your expectations, gamers, are a house of cards built on a foundation of sand, a cozy ranch house of dreams built on top of a feature list posted on the Internet and some screenshots taken at “Like hell your video card can run this” settings.

Take that to heart. ;) Oh and, I've seen that video and the textures look good here, so so there. I think part of the problem is that the games textures are inherently pixalized when they are captured in video. That video was what 720p? (roughly the same as 1024x760 on a CRT.) The actual gameplay was more then likely in 1600x1200. Pixalation is a given. :)

Once you get in game you can take the time to examine textures closely at high resolutions. :) Until then just remember that videos and screenshots rarely show what a game is really like when your playing it, in terms of graphics.