Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does LOTRO remind you of the old days?

2»

Comments

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005
    Originally posted by TedDanson

I'm sorry, but LOTRO definitely does NOT bring back my old EQ 1 magical feeling. Part of what made those early games so enchanting was the fact that you had to learn everything from the start. They just plopped you in the middle of the woods and said "Find your way", and you had to do that to survive. LOTRO has nothing even close to this, you are loaded into the middle of a story, and hand held then entire rest of the way. There is no exploration, no reason to wander, just the story and thats it.
    I used to think along these lines until I stopped letting the game hold my hand. You do have that choice. Now I can quest, or I can go off to explore a set of ruins, kill some MOBS for xp and loot. I can do everything that I experienced in EQ1, with a lot of improvements added.
    As for the community, from what I saw atleast, no one talks to anyone and everywhere I went for my quests people were stealing all the mobs.
    Stealing the mobs...sounds like EQ to me   But honestly kill stealing happens in every MMO.  Even where there are disincentives, KSing still happens.  I also find a lot of chatter going on around me--from OOC to Trade to Kinship.
    A more appropriate connection could be made with LOTRO, and WoW or EQ2 because they are much more similar in design and gameplay. But there is just NO WAY you can compare this game to EQ1 or Ultima Online.
    I have, and did a few posts above. LOTRO lacks many of the horrible things about EQ1. Perhaps those are the things you remember? Like waiting for hours to get a group, or giving up and logging out because nothing else to do. Or the mindless grinding for loot that served only to feed gambling addiction. Or mindless grinding for xp.  Yes, all of these things defined EQ1, but they were not the best.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/