Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is Vanguard turning out like DnL? Or Pre-NGE, Pre-CU, Pre-pub3 SWG?

SWG started off all mucked up, but turned out to be an amazing game, then due to stupidity and greed, turned into a terrible game. Maybe Vanguard wont turn into an NGE SWG, but it certainly seems it has the potential to be amazing if it can pull through. However, Dark and Light had amazing potential, but never got off the toilet from crapping all over. So which is Vanguard like?

Comments

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785
    Well, first of all, lets not say things we can't take back. DnL is the worst MMO ever unleashed on us poor MMO players by the absolute worst, lying, rip-off a$$hole devs ever to infect the games market. VG is struggling, but there really isn't anything in the league of bad games to match the disgrace that Farlan perpetrated on us.

Many people like VG, as can be seen by perusing the forum here, whereas DnL had one or two fans who were hired shills. VG has "potential" as the DnL fanboy or two used to say, but honestly, VG can be made into a truely good game.

Ironically, VG's biggest liability is its blind fanboy base who have alienated the common gamer with their "I'm hardcore" mentality. Once Sigil are out of the picture and Brad goes on to obscurity, IMO, Sony will fix it up and maintain a decent subscriber base.

Look at EQ2, started out terrible, but is now a pretty darn good MMO. Sony just has to take it out of that idiot

Brad's hands and change it to what gamers want. Soloability, gentle learning curve, and cut the monotiny of travel, grind, and crafting.

I do ramble on...But bottom line, nothing, and Imean nothing can touch the train-wreck that DnL was.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Actually, the only bad thing about Vanguard at the moment is that it was released too early (In my opinion anyway). Things can still turn out positive. Negative as well, but I'd like to give it the benefit of the doubt.
  • cerrcerr Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

Actually, the only bad thing about Vanguard at the moment is that it was released too early (In my opinion anyway). Things can still turn out positive. Negative as well, but I'd like to give it the benefit of the doubt.

it was according to brad shipped out 3 months early, currently we have passed that mark, and its still not ready for shipment imho

performance has gone up A LOT but still not where it should

give it 3 more months i think, then it will be ship-ready

ps: i have a VG subscription and will have so for at least til WAR comes out

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489
    Originally posted by cerr

it was according to brad shipped out 3 months early, currently we have passed that mark, and its still not ready for shipment imho

IMO, it is ready to ship now. It's been amazing what they've been able to do. That said, it's JUST like SWG was about a year after launch, a great game but needs some work. I have faith in Sigil to get it moving in the right dirrection, but in the meantime, it's a BLAST to play.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• ZvorakZvorak Member Posts: 234

Performance of Vanguard is solely dependant on YOUR gaming rig.  My rig play VG fine..!

• PhifePhife Member Posts: 229

Vanguard has it's flaws.  It's not perfect and it's not even fun.

But please, don't put Vanguard in the same arena as Dark & Light.... DnL was a slap in the face to MMOers.... VG is just a poor worded insult.

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450
    Vanguard will allow Sony to salvage what little reputation they have left. I'll keep an eye on this game.
  • Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302
    I have played VG a good amount and got my guy to 25. It was great up until now, seems like the amount of content, quests had a serious drop off. Unless I go back to places I did before 25, everything looks so barren.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Zvorak

Performance of Vanguard is solely dependant on YOUR gaming rig.  My rig play VG fine..!

Vanguard performance was the worst Ive ever seen. Its about getting the game playable for more than just a handfull of people .
  • IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

SWG was great in concept only imo.

Sure Vanguard is having a rough start. If Sigil/SOE stick to their guns around concepts, then I can see the game improving. Eve is a good example of this.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• Gules_AspenGules_Aspen Member Posts: 273

Everyone keeps calling this a rough start. Yeah, right. It's not a rough start. It's a game that at it's core in dull, ugly, lifeless, and derivative. The one thing it has that no other game does (diplomacy) sucks worse than I can describe. The rest has been done elsewhere, and done worlds better in half a dozen cases everytime.

The DnL comparison is valid- both are huge worlds that run like crap, look like a 6 year old game, have nothing to do in them, and are populated by a few rabid fanbois and a bunch of people only playing so they don't think they threw their money down the toilet. The biggest difference is Vanguard may have, in SOE, a company stupid enough to throw more cash down into the septic tank. But either way- it's never going to be any good, because the flaws are all built into the core of the game.

• DaPetesDaPetes Member Posts: 65
    I compared Vanguard to DnL for a reason, to see the feed back i'd get in the responses. You know why we can compare it to DnL, because DnL once had a fanbase ( for like a day) and the proof lies in the fact that you ppl are telling me not to compare it to Van. Because you once thought DnL would bring what they promised, and were obviously let down with the rest of us.

Why dont ppl in the mmo realm look at things for what they are.

1st off, i could probably compare every posted comment from the DNL boards from when DnL was fist released- to all the posts made here, and they'd almost be identical. Ppl who hate the crap out of it, and ppl who are going to pay til the bitter end to see what will happen. There is nothing wrong with this, as every person has their own opinion on whats crap and whats not.

2ndly, whoever used EQ2 as a bright light for SOE's success is obviously someone who looks at a glass 1/4 filled, and would say that the glass is 1/2 full. SOE is a curse word in the mmo universe. They've destroyed many games, and the one successful one ( which is arguable) is brought to light. No offense to anyone but i personally think this game is going to crash and burn with the hit of AoC and War. Theres jsut no room for these smaller companies to spit their games out half finished. When MMO's come out and have a terrible start, its that much harder for them to re-gain that fan base that they've already lost.

However, if SOE dumps all sorts of money into the game i guarantee 1 of 2 things will happen. A) SOE will follow their same path of greed and completely change the game. They will do this because sales are obviously not soaring, so they will try to adapt to what they think the fans will like....when this happened to SWG we got an insanely ADD style FPS, and people left by the thousands.

or, B) They will actually improve on the already working mechanics and by some rare chance of  fate, they will do something right and all that we thought Van would be, would come to life. Obviously option A is what we should expect, and B is what we should hope for. But option B is the more expensive route, and for a rare occurrence by a company known for PKing its own fan base.

If your one who's sticking with Van 'til the bitter end, GL, you're game is going to be taken over by a monster of a company that produces crap. I hope for your sake that the glass is 1/2 full.
  • DaPetesDaPetes Member Posts: 65
    So SOE is taking over for sure? Just the servers though right?>