Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salvaging

petepppppetepppp Member Posts: 57
What is it, how do you do it, could you make good money from it, what do you get from it, etc.. Explain it all to me since I'm a n3wB13t.

Comments

• MoobkradMoobkrad Member Posts: 308
    Preqreq. Survey at Lvl 3 (is under Electronics) and Mechanic Lvl 3.

Then you can learn Salvaging.

Salvage is gather from wrecks of destroyed ships, either NPC or PC.

Demand for salvage is good, so it can be sold for good money.

Or it can be used to build rigs. Problem with Rigs, is that, you need a lot of money to start building them. And of course is good profit once you get started. Rigs are used to boost abilities or capacities in your ship. Some rigs have positive and negative outcomes. Let's say a cargo rig will increase cargohold, but will decrease your max speed.
  • petepppppetepppp Member Posts: 57
    When you say salvage from an NPC or PC, what would you get? The usual stuff like ship parts, etc., or minerals or something? I know you don't need skills to do that, so with the right prerequisites, would you get more from looting the wreck? And how exactly would you build a rig?
  • binjuicebinjuice Member Posts: 363
    You get standard salvage from all t1 ships and "whole" salvage fropm t2 and higher end npc's

Now they have their own sets like "tripped power conduit" and "ward consoles" and "Burnt logic units" etc etc that all go towrds construction of rigs ^_^. Nothing to do with standard construction but it boosts the fhk outta a ratter or mission runners assorted money prospects. Also, the amount of slavage you pull from a ship varies, getting larger with the ship types, but be warned once they break 1.2 mil or so, they seem to average out ith less then the say 800-950k rats. Collected from experience -_^

very very very short explanation aye

"Just because there are other colours to use in chat does not mean you have to use them..." - Please follow

• PhotecPhotec Member Posts: 27

You shouldnt start salvaging. I`m salvaging and I dont want any more competition :)

less competition = higher prices , so... go mine or something. ALL YOUR SALVAGE ARE BELONGS TO ME! :p

no, seriously, its great cash in the beginning. I`m not as pleased with it now as I was earlier, but it was definately worth it for the extra isk early on.

Veni, Vidi, Vomite

• SoulfreeWSoulfreeW Member Posts: 34

i agree that it is extra ISK for a new player.

BUT lvl 1 and lvl 2 missions are just a waiste of time to salvage and EVEN loot.. trash lvl 1 and lvl 2 missions so you are able to do lvl 3 missions and start loot them. still no need for salvagin. this gives plenty of ISK. and when you are able to do lvl 3 missions you should be able to rat in 0,0 space. 1 group of rats in 0,0 gives about 1 mil ISK.. still no need for a salvager. so even tho a salvager gives extra ISK i think that training for salvager is a waiste of time just like a loot ship with tractor beem is. a lvl 2 mission will with loot and hours of salvaging give you about 1 mil isk. 5 min of ratting in 0,0 gives 1 mil isk. just use the money you get from the missions right, train for battlecruiser and buy one + fitting and your almost ready to go.   

Note: im a combat pilot and want non stop action maybe that has somthing to say. 

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    its not just isk for a new player. Salvaging can easily double or triple the amount of money you recieve from a mission. Worst case scenario is you salvage and make the rigs for your self to improve your own ships.
  • LeJohnLeJohn Member Posts: 313

Also you salvage the wreck, since the last patch you can salvage non-empty wrecks and as long as you do not take anything from the can you will not agro the owner. 

So if you are new you can:

1. Go to macro areas and salvage all the wrecks these guys leave.

2. Go anywhere in high sec where their is a war going on and salvage all the wrecks (just don't hit take from the can, not that the gate campwers can do any thing it's just not kosher)

3. Follow a ratting party that is only intrested in the loot and kills, in high sec you can mount 2-4 salvagers and 2 tractor beams  and still have a few wep slots as destroyers make good salvage ships. Just use expanders instead of Buff mods.

4. Go to any dead space area, even drones drop salvage now.

Get your salvage skills up to at least lvl4, and you can pull almost as much isk per hour as the ratters DS runners without the expense of ammo.  Just be ready to jump if the NPCs respawn before you have cleard the area.

• MoobkradMoobkrad Member Posts: 308
    Originally posted by Photec

You shouldnt start salvaging. I`m salvaging and I dont want any more competition :)
    less competition = higher prices , so... go mine or something. ALL YOUR SALVAGE ARE BELONGS TO ME! :p
    no, seriously, its great cash in the beginning. I`m not as pleased with it now as I was earlier, but it was definately worth it for the extra isk early on.
    Is a big universe, if you live in another region it wont be so bad. :)
  • petepppppetepppp Member Posts: 57

So the higher the salvage skill, the more salvage you get and the better it is? And how would you avoid angering the owner of PC salvage? Also, how do you find salvage? By the way, what do I get when I salvage? I don't feel like that question is something I fully understand.

• bobdogbobdog Member Posts: 71
    The kill missions for new players will have you clearing 30 rats easy, salvage away.  I can easily make over 1million on one mission, that's on top of the bounties and whatnot.  Only thing is it's even more boring than mining :P

...but it will pay for my Battlecruiser and all its gear
  • LeJohnLeJohn Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by petepppp

So the higher the salvage skill, the more salvage you get and the better it is? And how would you avoid angering the owner of PC salvage? Also, how do you find salvage? By the way, what do I get when I salvage? I don't feel like that question is something I fully understand.

When a ship is destroyed it becomes a wreck which may or may not contain loot.  Only the person that shot the ship first is  the owner (individual or corp)  of the loot as well as the wreck however only taking the loot is flagged as an aggressive act.  Salvaging a ship is considered a passive act because  any one other than the owner can freely salvage it as the loot will be in a can which is left behind for the owner.

As far as what and how much salvage that varies. The larger the ship the more salvage can be retrived. For instance a frig may only give 1 burned circuit board while a cruser could give 10 and a Battle ship 30, the actuall amount of salvage varies and does use the skill modifier however the skill is not so much for how much but what you are capable of salvaging.   For  example if  you have a salvage skill of lvl1 you can salvage T1 frigs and Destroyers but all t2 ships and t1 Above crusers are beyond your skill.  At Salvage LVL3 you can salvage up to t1 BS and T1 frigs but not HACs, freights or larger T1/T2  ships.  ETC,....

The salvage it self is used to build rigs. Most  T1 ships have 3 rig slots thus allowing you to tweek a ship for a specific purpose.  Unfortunattly CCP really does not understand customization becuase more rigs do more harm than good so rigging a ship basicly are self imposed nerfs.  (I did suggest to CCP that they pick up MW4 to get an understanding of what custimization of ships should be.)

• legutlegut Member Posts: 2
    the salvage skill also allows you to salvage faster  as the level is increased.