Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Not surprised, the game deserves it.

I miss DAoC

• CognetoJoeCognetoJoe Member Posts: 446

The quality of product Turbine produced is worthy. Not everyone will like the gameplay style , but to ignore the process that goes into building a game with such an IP can't be overlooked.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Good review, well deserving product.

This one is a keeper for sure :)

I will be playing LotRO for a looooooooooooooooooooong time
  • JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Sighs - not to critisise what is after all a well released PvE mmo. But i must point out its only been out for a few days now and in my opinion any review of it is iffy at best. Wait a few months then review it you will get a more accurate review of the games development and future that way.
    Originally posted by JADEDRAG0N

Sighs - not to critisise what is after all a well released PvE mmo. But i must point out its only been out for a few days now and in my opinion any review of it is iffy at best. Wait a few months then review it you will get a more accurate review of the games development and future that way.
    I am a huge fan of the game after playing for 3 months or so, but I do agree it's a bit early for reviews.

However, some of these reviewers did play for the entire open beta (and some even before that).

They should still hold up for a couple of weeks imo before they review it.

With that said, i have played it plenty over the past few months and every word of this review is true for me. The game easily deserves a 9+ review in my opinion. What a lot of folks don;t understand is that us closed beta testers were playing a highly polished, release worthy game 3+ months ago.

Originally posted by Mithrandolir

I am a huge fan of the game after playing for 3 months or so, but I do agree it's a bit early for reviews.

However, some of these reviewers did play for the entire open beta (and some even before that).

With that said, i have played it plenty over the past few months and every word of this review is true for me. The game easily deserves a 9+ review in my opinion. What a lot of folks don;t understand is that us closed beta testers were playing a highly polished, release worthy game 3+ months ago.

Problem is that for all we know this game could get its own SWG - NGE like event. Therefore invalidating any reviews. Thats why i say wait a few months.

Another example is look at vanguard when it was release so amny promosis and look what happened.

So i say wit on the reviews a bit first.

Problem is that for all we know this game could get its own SWG - NGE like event. Therefore invalidating any reviews. Thats why i say wait a few months.

Another example is look at vanguard when it was release so amny promosis and look what happened.

Lets see the game is wildly successful, so Turbine is gonna say WTF lets redesign the game and see how many people we can piss off. Yeah right, your statement makes about as much sense as the  vanboys saying Vanguard will do a turn around.

As far as promises go Turbine delivered exactly what they said they would in the retail package and that is what is being reviewed. In fact when I first started beta player owned horses were not planned for retail as well as a couple of other features, but everything went so smooth Turbine had time to test em and work them in.

I miss DAoC

my point is that you never know what will happen in the first few months of a game those were just EXAMPLES of what COULD happen not statments of what will happen.

my point is that you never know what will happen in the first few months of a game those were just EXAMPLES of what COULD happen not statments of what will happen.
    I could win the lottery and win the Noble peace prize in literature for my posts here also.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog

... and win the Noble peace prize in literature for my posts here also.
    I just blew steaming hot coffee out of my nostrils JD! Damn you!

I'd vote for you! :)

I could win the lottery and win the Noble peace prize in literature for my posts here also.

LoL im sorry for discussing with you i didnt relise you were that type of Fanboi.
  • Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589
    Why not just give this game a "10" and call it a day? That review didn't say ANYTHING negative about the game.

I found this line particularly interesting:

"No other game can compete with the characters, locations and interweaving plots that this game has to offer"

Oh really? No other game? Not just MMO's, but every other game ever released in the history of games can't compete with LOTRO in the realm of characters, locations, and interweaving plot lines? Give me a break! This review sounds like it was written by one of the fan boys from MMORPG.com. In fact, most of the review was just information about how the game works, not actually talking about what the game does well or doesn't do well.

I swear, sometimes I feel like I'm living in retard town right smack dab in the middle of candyland.
    Originally posted by Daedalus732

I swear, sometimes I feel like I'm living in retard town right smack dab in the middle of candyland.
    Thank you for bringing in a mature point of view.

Opinions aside, that was uncalled for.

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

This is Turbine, not SOE. :)

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Daedalus732

Agreed. 

If you don't like it.. don't read it or play the game.  It's as simple as that.  There are PLENTY of people who are enjoying LOTRO.  The game is a definite hit.

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

Originally posted by JonMichael

This is Turbine, not SOE. :)

Never said it was
    Originally posted by JonMichael

Agreed. 

If you don't like it.. don't read it or play the game.  It's as simple as that.  There are PLENTY of people who are enjoying LOTRO.  The game is a definite hit.

Where in my post did I say that I didn't like LOTRO, or that is was a bad game? I was talking about the review and the larger tendency to just gush over something rather than analyze it critically that seems to be occurring.

Personally, I applaud Turbine for overseeing a wonderful launch and producing a stable, nice looking game.

That said, it's basically the same thing rehashed and that doesn't really interest me.

But note that I didn't even say ANYTHING about the game at all, just that stupid review.

What exactly was uncalled for? Maybe the most polite and mature words just don't fit these literary abortions we have the gaul to call reviews.

LoL im sorry for discussing with you i didnt relise you were that type of Fanboi.

I fI wanted to be an ass I could say some thing like sorry but I did not realize you were that kind of troll but I won't. Evidently you do not realize what a review is or it's purpose so here.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Review

A review is an evaluation of a publication, such as a movie, video game, musical composition, book, or a piece of hardware like a car, appliance, or computer. In addition to a critical statement, the review's author may assign the work a rating (for instance, one to five stars to indicate its relative merit. More loosely, an author may review current events or items in the news.

For example if I were to review a restaurant, I would go by the service and food that I received at the time of my visit, not what they may serve a week from now.

Secondly why in the world would Turbine change from a winning formula. SOE pulled a NGE on SWG because the game was having problems retaining subscribers. LoTRO is pretty much a success already, much to the dismay of the trolls.

I miss DAoC