Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Question on Rogues

aiolos121aiolos121 Member Posts: 34

Now, I'm new to WoW (just signed up for the 14-day trial a couple days ago), so I'm not nearly experienced enough yet to know what lies ahead for me in this game. I rolled as a Human Rogue, and from what I've read so far, it seems that gnomes and elves are the way to go. 

I'm a big pvp'r so if I'm going to get caught with my pants down as a human rogue, I'd like to know about it :P I'm only lv5 so it wouldn't be a big deal to reroll, so I'd like to know if I should reroll as an elf (my friends are alliance so...yeah :P) or would a human fare well in pvp? Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• IlovefanboisIlovefanbois Member Posts: 13

no you wont get caught with your pants down. I would say DO NOT GO GNOME. They are made to be casters..... It really depends are you going to be a sword rouge or a dagger rouge? i would go human for the sword racial plus thier other racials NE dont really have great ones i meen rouges can already stealth.... and it really doesnt matter to much. WoW is very ballanced

• aiolos121aiolos121 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Ilovefanbois

no you wont get caught with your pants down. I would say DO NOT GO GNOME. They are made to be casters..... It really depends are you going to be a sword rouge or a dagger rouge? i would go human for the sword racial plus thier other racials NE dont really have great ones i meen rouges can already stealth.... and it really doesnt matter to much. WoW is very ballanced

Well that's a relief. I was under the impression that if I was anything but those two characters I was out of luck :P Can't tell you how many times I've played a game where if I wasn't a certain class/character or whatever I was SoL. Nice to know I can win with anything ^_^ Thanks, and yeah, I'll go for swords

• JimmyLegsJimmyLegs Member Posts: 361

Like poster 2 said the Humans get a 5+ Sword bonus witch is pretty good. But from what I've seen (this is pre-BC it might have changed) Daggers are the way to go for PvP, if you want to pretty much insta kill. I played a rogue for some PvP but never really did much else with him (my mage was the raider and he could farm no problem alone).

From my memory:

Swords - High white damage, but limited from skill use (cannot use Ambush, Back Stab, and Mutilate are the only ones I believe). It does lower your start off damage but imo it has a better consistency (you don't need energy to dish out the pain).

Daggers - High Yellow (skill) but low white damage. If you can't kill the enemy fast enough with Ambush, BS, and a Evis you more then likely wont have enough WD to do the rest of the job. Just stun lock them, that tends to work best if you can't kill them and you want daggers (you could still lock em with Swords).

As a Human you get Perception, so if you're trying to get another rogue, you know hes there, you can use that and will be able to see him at a better distance (even if he has 5/5 MoD note: Perception could have been nerfed to no end, I have not played WoW in quite some time). Gnomes just look funny as... anything really and only positive to NE is the 1% dodge, but I do think the Shadow Meld does help with stealth (harder to see, but not 100% sure).

• SunseedSunseed Member Posts: 19
  • AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

I'm surprised people are being so negative about gnomes, the racial ability to escape snares strikes me as being exceptionally useful for a melee only character such as a rogue.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Originally posted by Sunseed

In PVP Undead are the best IMO

You didnt make a bad choice... Like another poster said, humans get +5 to Swords and Maces.  Swords and maces are great for leveling.  Most people prefer daggers for PvP but I love swords.  If you know what you're doing theyre just as good as daggers.  Really tho Undead are the best rogues for PvP.  Will of the forsaken is a great thing to have.  Since you're new and are mainly in this for PvP I would HIGHLY recommend you reroll horde.  Unless you want to be frustrated to death in battlegrounds (unless you have a premade).  Of course if PvP is your side objective go with alliance for raids.  If you want to earn gear from PvP definitely horde.   This gear isnt that great anymore (but is needed if you dont pve much and plan on running arenas)... but if thats how you plan to get your shit thats the way to go. 

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
    Originally posted by aiolos121

Now, I'm new to WoW (just signed up for the 14-day trial a couple days ago), so I'm not nearly experienced enough yet to know what lies ahead for me in this game. I rolled as a Human Rogue, and from what I've read so far, it seems that gnomes and elves are the way to go. 

I'm a big pvp'r so if I'm going to get caught with my pants down as a human rogue, I'd like to know about it :P I'm only lv5 so it wouldn't be a big deal to reroll, so I'd like to know if I should reroll as an elf (my friends are alliance so...yeah :P) or would a human fare well in pvp? Thanks for any advice :)
    Humans have the racial ability to detect stealthed units.  This ability is helpful in PvP when fighting other rogues.  Basically you have an advantage towards rogues and druids.

On the other hand, Night Elves have a standstill stealth ability.  Gnomes have an ability which helps them get out of roots.

Humans also have a + to swords and swords are the best leveling weapons.  High damage Sinister Strikes ftw.

I say pick the race that you find visually appealing.  You have to sit and stare at the back of your character for the rest of his career.  You might as well like it.
  • MuraisMurais Member UncommonPosts: 1,118

I recommend a dwarf rogue.

If you get really into the game, when you hit 66 and get Cloak of Shadows, you can use Stone Form as well ( a dwarf racial), and be able to vanish from any situation if you get in trouble! Nifty!

EDIT: To clarify, CoS removes all current harmful spell effect on you and makes you 905 resistant to any harmful spell for the next 5 sec. Stone Form removes all poison and bleed effects on you, and increases your armor by a certain amount for 5 sec.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Please fill out this form and find out if rogues are for you.

You...

[ ] are a ganker or backstabber.

[ ] are a griefer.

[ ] have got a small p****.

[ ] are scared of an equal fight.

[ ] do not have any player skill at all.

[ ] think that killing a nearly dead opponent and laughing at him is totaly normal.

For each 'X' you gain a point. If you have got more than one point then you can congratulate yourself. The rogue is for you and will complement your play style very well.

This post was written by a former lvl60 warlock after getting ganked by a rogue for the 100th time while killing an npc.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    Originally posted by Inf666

Please fill out this form and find out if rogues are for you.
    You...
    [ ] are a ganker or backstabber.
    [ ] are a griefer.
    [ ] have got a small p****.
    [ ] are scared of an equal fight.
    [ ] do not have any player skill at all.
    [ ] think that killing a nearly dead opponent and laughing at him is totaly normal.

For each 'X' you gain a point. If you have got more than one point then you can congratulate yourself. The rogue is for you and will complement your play style very well.

This post was written by a former lvl60 warlock after getting ganked by a rogue for the 100th time while killing an npc. 

lol...  locks are just as bad as rogues.  dot, dot, dot, noobcoil, more dots, fear, etc.  if your talking about pre BC and you couldnt handle a rogue as a lock... i dunno.
  • BodysnatcherBodysnatcher Member Posts: 141

I have a Undead rogue.  But if you have to be ALliance then human is the best way to go.  They have the best racial by far. +10% rep gain.  With all the rep farming you do that is a huge + that is never spoken about.

As for the lock.  Whats a matter was pushing 3 buttons as a hunter to hard for you so you had to go lock and only push 2?

Kings and Sons of God
    Travel on their way from here
    Calming restless mobs
    Easing all of their, all of their fear
    Strange times are here.