Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Technical Beta Begins

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Funcom has announced that Age of Conan is now in technical beta, allowing several hundred brave souls to do some limited adventuring in the lands of Hyborea.

Now is an incredibly exciting time for everyone working at Funcom. The technical beta is kicking off and we've already started inviting several hundred players to join us and become some of the first people to tread the blood-soaked earth of Hyboria under their sandaled (or chain mailed, for that matter) feet. After years of working on the game behind closed doors it is finally ready for the world. Bringing more external testers into the game is a very interesting experience for us, especially with so many people participating. We're just as excited as you are, if not even more!

We know most of you won't have the opportunity to join us this time around (though your chance may come soon!), but we still want to let you in on what we'll be doing in these first tests by explaining to you what it will involve.

This first time around we're focusing on testing how well the server works under heavy load, particularly how the different areas of the gameworld holds up when many people try to get into one specific place. In the days following the test, developers will be going through the data collected and probably utter quite a few "oohs" and "aahs".

"We'll start by testing several different high-load scenarios on our servers by pushing the technology, like seeing how the server reacts to so many people going from one area to another at the same time," says Quality Assurance Manager

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by Szark

Funcom has announced that Age of Conan is now in technical beta, allowing several hundred brave souls to do some limited adventuring in the lands of Hyborea.

Now is an incredibly exciting time for everyone working at Funcom. The technical beta is kicking off and we've already started inviting several hundred players to join us and become some of the first people to tread the blood-soaked earth of Hyboria under their sandaled (or chain mailed, for that matter) feet. After years of working on the game behind closed doors it is finally ready for the world. Bringing more external testers into the game is a very interesting experience for us, especially with so many people participating. We're just as excited as you are, if not even more!
    We know most of you won't have the opportunity to join us this time around (though your chance may come soon!), but we still want to let you in on what we'll be doing in these first tests by explaining to you what it will involve.
    This first time around we're focusing on testing how well the server works under heavy load, particularly how the different areas of the gameworld holds up when many people try to get into one specific place. In the days following the test, developers will be going through the data collected and probably utter quite a few "oohs" and "aahs".
    "We'll start by testing several different high-load scenarios on our servers by pushing the technology, like seeing how the server reacts to so many people going from one area to another at the same time," says Quality Assurance Manager Ørjan Mathis Tvedt. "This is to further optimize our servers for the future tests which will be even bigger in scale."

Read the full article here here.

Sounds fun.

"Okay everyone. Enter the next zone in 5.....4.......3.....2....hey wait.....NOT YET! Dang it! Restart! Everyone get back here!"

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

I'm glad they're starting their beta this early. 5 or 6 months of beta testing is great for tweaking and bug finding.

• tapeworm00tapeworm00 Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Koolaider

I'm glad they're starting their beta this early. 5 or 6 months of beta testing is great for tweaking and bug finding.
    And redesigning!
  • will200will200 Member Posts: 70

Sick, DX10!!!! Finally I can see the full potential of my 8800. :P

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

oooh ooh.. pick me, pick me!!!

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• PaksPaks Member Posts: 263
    It's good to see this starting.  :)

And I heard some retard already got banned  from the beta for running his mouth about getting in.  lol!
  • ignisfatuusignisfatuus Member CommonPosts: 34
    Hopefully this is released on time, it would be nice to see a new MMORPG worth playing this year. 
  • JRRTrollkinJRRTrollkin Member Posts: 15
    I don't care so much about on time (though with funcom I dont have too many worries.) It's more important that it's released when its ready.
  • YukkioneYukkione Member Posts: 618
    I'm so happy to see FunCom doing this right. They seem to have learned from early mistakes. (unlike other developers) I've been waiting for AOC since they anounced the title. I think FC will apply meticulous attention to detail and release a great game. To those that get into early testing.. .work hard.
  • AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

Aight, I'm one of those guys that won the beta + retail package back in the holiday contest... does anyone know if I have to do anything? Because I haven't received any news by Funcom or MMORPG.com regarding the matter since then :/

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Akaraxle

Aight, I'm one of those guys that won the beta + retail package back in the holiday contest... does anyone know if I have to do anything? Because I haven't received any news by Funcom or MMORPG.com regarding the matter since then :/
    [email protected]
  • AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

Originally posted by Zorvan
    [email protected]
    Err, thanks, but what exactly do I have to ask this guy? I already applied to the beta some time ago anyway, mentioning in the notes that I had won the giveaway.

• GrakelGrakel Member Posts: 92
    Can't wait for AoC but I wouldn't count on any date yet, this is Funcom, the same people who launched AO several months early and was  the worst beta test I have ever been involved in, except maybe WW2 Online. If anyone remembers it makes Vanguards launch look great.

Played in some form:
    UO til tram, AC, EQ, AO, WW2O, PS, SB, CoH, AC2, Hor, LoTRO, DDO, AoC, Aion, CO, STO
    Playing: WoW (for gf), WAR
    Waiting For: SWTOR, FFXVI
    Hoping For: DCUO, Secret World, Earthrise
    -S- (UO Sonoma)

• KhazaKhaza Member UncommonPosts: 8

I am certain you wont have to do anything, they will contact you when it is time.

Sounds good the development is going well, guess it is just to cross fingers and hope to get in.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Zorvan

[email protected]
    Err, thanks, but what exactly do I have to ask this guy? I already applied to the beta some time ago anyway, mentioning in the notes that I had won the giveaway.

HI i believe Athelan, a developer has answered this question on his blog in the Q + A part, which can be found here:

http://askathelan.blogspot.com/

regards.

• wangkomwangkom Member Posts: 119

This is awesome, let the beta testing begins :)