Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Birthday and Info

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

In advance of the third birthday of City of Heroes, NCsoft has released a press release reminding everyone of the celebration and bringing us some interesting statistics about the game.

This weekend gaming fans are celebrating the third birthday of City of Heroes, the massively multiplayer game that continues to be one of the most successful comic book-based PC games on the market.

City of Heroes, developed by Cryptic Studios and published by NCsoft, was released on April 28, 2004, and since then, the game has expanded substantially by building a loyal and growing player base while adding huge chunks of free content to subscribers. In the coming weeks, NCsoft will release another major, free expansion to City of Heroes, marking the ninth such expansion along with the release of the companion game, City of Villains. City of Heroes has set new standards for MMOGs with a break from the traditional medieval fantasy setting and providing character customization that is unmatched in the gaming industry.

During the first three years of the game, more than 24 million characters have been created in City of Heroes and City of Villains with more than 102,000 of those characters reaching level 50, the game's top tier. The game is also renowned for its ease of cooperative role-playing, resulting in the creation of more than 654,000 super groups, and the building of more than 66,000 super group bases.

Additionally, NCsoft has determined that of the 24 million characters created:

27 percent of the hero characters created were blasters, making it the most popular hero archetype.

26 percent of the villain characters created were Masterminds, making it the most popular villain.

32 percent of the characters with travel powers chose flight, followed by super jump at 28 percent, super speed at 25 percent and teleport at 14 percent.

Fueling the game's economy is the more than 3 trillion influence (the game's currency) in circulation, which will play an important part of the new crafting system and auction houses being added with the upcoming release of "Issue 9: Breakthrough," the game's next content expansion.

NCsoft has recently released a new retail game pack, the "Good Versus Evil Edition" which includes both City of Hereos and City of Villains and is now available at retailers across North America.

For more on City of Heroes click here.

Comments

• BfighterBfighter Member Posts: 90
    654,000 supergroups...wow
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    If your going to link and article, can you please link DIRECTLY to the article you quote. Thanks.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

If your going to link and article, can you please link DIRECTLY to the article you quote. Thanks.
    I hate when they do that!
  • InsulinboyInsulinboy Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by wjrasmussen

I hate when forum nazi's get on peoples cases too...
  • FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Insulinboy

Originally posted by wjrasmussen

I hate when forum nazi's get on peoples cases too...

You used the N word.  You lost the thread.
  • tshack88tshack88 Member Posts: 48
    that is wayyyyy too many sg's. :)