Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Re-Categorized Review

2»

Comments

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I was all to eager to jump all over the review yesterday, it was poorly done and suspicious at best.

Big time cudos in re-calling it (or re-categorizing...w/e). I've lost a heck of alot of respect for mmorpg.com over the last while but it's good to see some effort to "rise again".

• MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143

Thank you! Good to see MMORPG.COM cares about it's reputation. Very impressive.

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Ackbar

Wow I knew mmorpg.com had an editor!
    /giggle
  • PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Mirandel

Thank you! Good to see MMORPG.COM cares about it's reputation. Very impressive.
    "Thank you! Good to see MMORPG.COM cares about it's reputation." Yes, if it's true.

"Very impressive." Not at all. We, the users, should take this for granted.
  • SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Some of you guys are ridiculous.  Just because this isn't your game of choice, you have to piss and moan that it gets a decent review... regardless of how many people agree that it's a good game.  I have never seen a bigger bunch of crying-babies than on this site.... and it's a shame that the site admins bow to your BS. 

It is possible to review something without pissing all o ver it.  You dorks are so jealous of anyone else having a good time, and so convinced that every game is as bad as the POS you are playing that you simply refuse to believe anyone is being honest when they say they like something.  They must be lying, or getting paid... or as some people suggest, actually trading reviews for sexual favors.  Have you ever considered that maybe it's just a good game? 

It's funny to see the same people that implied all reviewers were jaded and just wanted to piss all over new games when Vanguard came out now think all reviewers are now too generous and only write positive things. The fact is, vanguard is full of negatives and LOTRO is full of positives.  How many reviewers have to say so before you at least acknowledge the opinion as valid??

• GRIMACHUGRIMACHU Member Posts: 528

Originally posted by Kyleran Surely you jest.  The review read more like a press release for Turbine.  It contained virtually "no" negative comments of any kind.  I don't care what scores the game gets, give it a 5 if that's what the reviewer thinks it deserves, but they'd better be able to back it up with solid list of pros vs cons (and the con's better be pretty strong for a 5)

But you can't give any score, be it a one or a 10 w/o explaining the reasoning behind the rating.... and this article did nothing to explain the rating it received.

Also, and this is one of the hardest things to do when "impartially" reviewing anything is...leave your personal preferences and prejudices behind at the door.  Of course that's impossible...but if you love sandbox games, slamming the rating on this one for not being one isn't really fair, since that was never the intent/design of the game designers.  Unless of course, you have a rating category called "game openness and freedom"..then I suppose you could give it bad marks.  As part of the overall gameplay score, it would have to be a very small component of the overall evaluation.

I could care less if they leave up the original review and the scores, as long as the writer spends a decent amount of time playing the live game (I'm thinking she should at least get to level 25 or so) and can defend her scores with a well written review.

Not jesting in the slightest. I play the game, lifetime sub even and like it a great deal. I think the review was more than fair with the lower rating being generous 7's when you can't really tell on day of release how these things are going to pan out - (community, RP, service).

I would much rather get a more neutral description than someone's opinionated dross 'No PvP, lulz, dis is crap' - (only, possibly, in more words).

I don't think they should have done a first-day review anyway, its a *fornicating* stupid idea and unfair on the person reviewing who has to choose between honesty or making stuff up.

I want MMORPG to use the full 1-10 scale when assigning scores because currently ratings are utterly meaningless if they're always clustered in the 8-10 scale.

Postmortem Studios
    Roleplaying games to DIE for
    Shop here

• GRIMACHUGRIMACHU Member Posts: 528

These articles describe the problem very well.

Part One

Part Two

Postmortem Studios
    Roleplaying games to DIE for
    Shop here

• MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Thorsnes

"Very impressive." Not at all. We, the users, should take this for granted.

How many sites do you know where editors will even notice public reaction?  Agree, fair behavior should be a standard but since it's not - I get excited every time I see one.

• BeldwynBeldwyn Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

Some of you guys are ridiculous.  Just because this isn't your game of choice, you have to piss and moan that it gets a decent review... regardless of how many people agree that it's a good game.  I have never seen a bigger bunch of crying-babies than on this site.... and it's a shame that the site admins bow to your BS. 
    It is possible to review something without pissing all o ver it.  You dorks are so jealous of anyone else having a good time, and so convinced that every game is as bad as the POS you are playing that you simply refuse to believe anyone is being honest when they say they like something.  They must be lying, or getting paid... or as some people suggest, actually trading reviews for sexual favors.  Have you ever considered that maybe it's just a good game? 
    It's funny to see the same people that implied all reviewers were jaded and just wanted to piss all over new games when Vanguard came out now think all reviewers are now too generous and only write positive things. The fact is, vanguard is full of negatives and LOTRO is full of positives.  How many reviewers have to say so before you at least acknowledge the opinion as valid??

Relax, nobody gives a damn about the scores that review gave, it was the actuall text that was short, only houres after launch and with very few oppinions or arguements behind the scores given. Nobody cryes for a better score, all we wanted was a better review.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

With all the pain and suffering happening around the globe everyday, it amazes me to see what some people think is earth-shattering. I read the original article. It was no better or worse than a lot of the drivel that passes for "news" on this site and can't comprehend why the embracers of the newest "Big Thing" felt it necessary to make such a fuss over what was obviously a "first impression" article. It almost seemed that the detractors wanted the thing squelched before it had some negative effect on the impulse cash infusion Turbine seems to need for this game. I played the beta. It's decent, but it's not the blasted Second Coming of Christ! Let's see where some of you promoters are six months from now when you get tired of playing the same classes and races in the very limited corner Turbine has painted themselves into with this product.

What I find even more repulsive are the actions of the MMORPG.com editors toward one of their own writers. There may have been errors made, but the public dressing down of staff members is not acceptable anywhere. It smells like MMORPG.com, like so many other entities is trying to curry favor with the Squeaky-Wheel Mob who will have something new to complain about tomorrow. In the process, you chose to publicly embarrass one of your staff writers. How long does she have to stay in the pillory in the town square?

It would serve you well if your writers became reluctant to work for you because of this. This is a friggin' gaming site, not the Associated Press.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

Scores good or bad what was posted wasn't a review.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• DragonalfDragonalf Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by LordDraekon

With all the pain and suffering happening around the globe everyday, it amazes me to see what some people think is earth-shattering. I read the original article. It was no better or worse than a lot of the drivel that passes for "news" on this site and can't comprehend why the embracers of the newest "Big Thing" felt it necessary to make such a fuss over what was obviously a "first impression" article. It almost seemed that the detractors wanted the thing squelched before it had some negative effect on the impulse cash infusion Turbine seems to need for this game. I played the beta. It's decent, but it's not the blasted Second Coming of Christ! Let's see where some of you promoters are six months from now when you get tired of playing the same classes and races in the very limited corner Turbine has painted themselves into with this product.
    What I find even more repulsive are the actions of the MMORPG.com editors toward one of their own writers. There may have been errors made, but the public dressing down of staff members is not acceptable anywhere. It smells like MMORPG.com, like so many other entities is trying to curry favor with the Squeaky-Wheel Mob who will have something new to complain about tomorrow. In the process, you chose to publicly embarrass one of your staff writers. How long does she have to stay in the pillory in the town square?
    It would serve you well if your writers became reluctant to work for you because of this. This is a friggin' gaming site, not the Associated Press.

Actually, it clearly took more integrity for this site to admit (rightfully so) that 1) there were internal procedural issues at MMORPG.com allowing it to be posted in the manner it was and 2) the article was misrepresenting what it was, i.e. a review versus a "first look". It was not a clear case of them "caving to the whiners". An unbiased individual would be able to see and at least admit that ...

If this site wants to be taken seriously by the non-jaded, unbiased, level-headed gamers this is clearly a step in the right direction.

• Originally posted by grimmbot

And thus faith in the system had been restored.

QFT

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

7.8 was an accurate rating score.  Couldn't imagine the game getting a higher review then an 8.0 score since there's some rough edges in combat that could get worked out.

Turbine has been doing well over the last 2 years in terms of development.  I would expect this game to improve greatly over time and eventually be given a score closer to 8.5

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717
    thanks for the re-review of the review, so to speak, stradden!

imageimage

• MahakaliMahakali Member Posts: 25

I don't really get it. The reviewer came on the forums to defend and explain her rating, and she did rate the game. If the article wasn't meant as a review and she mistakenly was asked to add the rating at publish, wouldn't it look better to let her revise her article with her opinions but keep the rating?

• willgarwillgar Member Posts: 46

Have no comment on the rating givern or whether LotR is a good or bad game. However, to admit that the review was in fact a "preview" is a strong editorial stance and i applaud MMORPG.COM  for its honesty.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by MMoMoney

What a sellout, dont you have any respect for your own writers? How can you submit to a bunch of fanboys crying that it deserves a better rating? This is the last time I'll ever believe any review here was done objectively.

7.8 is a good score a 1-10 scale is bad because everyone's caught up with an american grade-school system where below 60% is failure. In the rest of the world there is only pass or fail and 51% is a passing grade. There aren't enough MMORPGs out there to be calling most of them so high above the average. You need to make a clear designation of what the "average MMO" worthy of a 5 rating is.

Better yet, this site should change to a 1-5 rating scale so the morons aren't crying "omg lotro only got a C+"

so um, what all games would you rate over an 8?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• willgarwillgar Member Posts: 46

Hmmmm...you write well LordDraekon, although you do exaggerate somewhat. If you look back at many of the 250 comments to the orginal "review", you will find that the bulk of the rational posts were about the fact that  review was not up to the standard that MMORPG.COM define as a review based on previous examples. You like many of the people you deride have got hung up on wheter LoTR is a good or bad game but that is not the point. I have read well written reviews of games on this web site and this was not up to the standard of a review i would associate with this publication. In fact, the editor has now said that it was not a review and a more substaintial article will be forth coming.
    You also make some baseless assumption, that the reclassification of the article as a preview was done due to pressure from the "squeaky-wheel mob" (i love this phrase - thank you) and not due to a simple mistake. I would argue that the admission of a mistake at editorial level is beneficial to the original author as it portions blame on the editor and not the writer.
    Why the orginal author felt the need to defend herself on the forums is a mystery to me - publish and be dammed. In fact, it is not even necessary and her action probably inflamed the score-mongerers even more. Some would argue, it is not even her responsibility but the job of an editor.
    Yes, there is a lot of suffering in the world. Whether or not i or a few thousand people spend £50 on this game is not a life or death matter and i don't think many people belive it is or would even suggest it. Anyway, please keep up the witty text LordDraekon, righteous indignation is always worth a chuckle.

• killerwigkillerwig Member UncommonPosts: 236

Hey Stradden,

That really took some balls to remove that review, especially after the huge response and controversy it caused. Not sure if even I could do the same on my forum, but then again, I haven't got 500,000 gibbering MMO fanatics to worry about... but then again, Poets are pretty hardcore; if I piss em off too much, they might write really cutting Odes or Sonnets about me...

Kudos to the staff of MMORPG.com

• JizhakJizhak Member Posts: 47

Good decision, but please don't lie that this was solely internal process.

Without the outrage in the forums this would have never happened.

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

Wow, hats off to the editor.  I was wondering about the decision to post such a weak excuse for a review. 

My faith is restored.  Hopefully the next one will have some meat to it, instead of a rewrite of the faq from their website.