Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF MMO with awesome character customization and style

HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

LF a good MMO with great character customization and lots of different gear upgrade styles as you progress in levels. Minimized grinding (if that is even possible).  Not WoW, VG or LoTRO please.  New graphics are a plus.

Playing: Nothing
Retired:Too many to list.

Comments

• KenichiKenichi Member Posts: 109

Check out CoX. Great character customization with little grind. There is no real gear, but you get to choose exactly how your character looks no matter what AT it is. ATs are fairly customable compared to other MMORPGs' class systems as well.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Star Wars Galaxies gives you alot of character customisation.  It's a little different from other MMO's in that rather then questiong for your new armour or clothing styles, you get in touch with a player crafter and talk get them to make what you like.  The plus side is that you can get everything made exactly how you like it, picking from a huge choice of colours.  Alternatively you could become that crafter :)

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

it has been my understanding that SWG is dead in the water. Do you have a big guild or lots of poulation where you are? Did they change back to the old talents system?

CoX? what is that?

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

EVE Online? Otherwise I'd come back in about 5 years.

---

• phosphorosphosphoros Member Posts: 512
    CoX is City of Villains or City of Heroes.

It has quite possibly the most insane character creation system ever.  Hell, I'd spent a good two hours before just tinkering with it.

It's quite the impressive system.

Though, the gameplay is a bit different from other MMOs.  I enjoy it.

I can't recommend SWG.  I know people say it has this great Character creation system but I've never thought that was true because everyone always looks facially very much a like.

Sure if you want green hair and some wild hairdo, that's doable but overall it lack luster.  I won't even go into the nightmare of the NGE.

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

Yeah, I am an old SWG refugee, 2.5 years or so of it. Great game but i think its done for now.

I am going to buy LoTRO when i get the chance and try it out.

I am playing Vanguard at the moment but its not really my cup of tea. Game has come a long way though.

• RogendRogend Member Posts: 22

CoX definitely has the best character customization of any MMO out there.

• JadetoothJadetooth Member UncommonPosts: 372

Originally posted by HardwareGuy
    [...]
    CoX? what is that?

City of Villains or City of Heroes. It's a superhero based MMO where you fight evil (or good if you decide to play City of villains). It can be quite a grind to play the game, but if you play it with a bunch of friendly people it's good fun :)

CoH - CoV

If you want to try it out, just post in the CoX forums, alot of people are willing to give you a 10day trial (since they get a free month should you decide to buy the game and keep on playing :P) or you can just post your email here and i'll send you on (that is, if you're a US'er, since i play on US-servers. )

------------------------------

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

it has been my understanding that SWG is dead in the water. Do you have a big guild or lots of poulation where you are? Did they change back to the old talents system?
    CoX? what is that?
    SWG isn't dead, infact it looks to be making a come back.  People are returning and the game is moving forward with new or revamped systems.  This upcoming chapter brings back CH in a more complex and detailed form.

The old skill tree system hasn't returned, but all professions have Expertise trees which allows you to customise your character's skills and abilities to suit the way you like the play.  Kind of like a light version of the old skill trees.

• Invinci_GalInvinci_Gal Member Posts: 43

I have to chime in here. CoH/CoV have the best character creation I've ever seen. You can pretty much create anything you can imagine.

The game itself though... meh, not as great. It's a good game, but after a few months you'll find there's a lack of variety in the missions and if you make it to end game there's not much there to do except reroll and take a different path to max level. It can become a grind after a while, and there's a lot of class imbalances, though they're working hard on fixing that.

I'm not saying don't try the game, I just have to be honest about my experience there. It's good and the first few months will probably be a blast, but I personally think after that there's a good chance you'll get bored with it and be looking for something new.

I don't recommend SWG at all. They'll probably have SWG fixed by the time Bioware releases their MMO, and I'd just recommend going with the Bioware one... in 2010.

LOTRO is very well polished and a good game, but I can fully understand why it may not be some people's type of game. The character maker in it is a little better than WoW's. Armor in the game is a little drab, but that's the world. It's not flashy.

I hope that I helped!.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616
    While Matrix Online is similar to CoX in that after a few months it will become repetitive, the character generation is also very good. Not as detailed as CoX for certain, but there's enough body, head, hair, tattoos, and other items you can change to look interesting. What makes it very good in regards to character customisation is the huge amount of different clothing to choose from. There's literally hundreds of items, ranging from hats, eyewear, gloves, shirts, boots, pants, coats, one-piece outfits. Tons of the stuff. And you're not required to wear one set of gear to get the best bonuses, ala WoW. The graphics of the game are also very good. Whatever people think about MxO, they definately captured the style and atmosphere of the Matrix world perfectly.

It is, however, mission-based like CoX, so it becomes repetitive after a while. But the skill system is beautiful because you can change your character's abilities at will from a telephone hardline. From hacker, to nuker, to assassin, to spy, to gun-mad psycho.. whatever you like. Oh, dual-wielding SMGs whilst performing wire-fu martial arts simply never got old for me! :D
  • HadesprimeHadesprime Member Posts: 303
    if you want a good MMO with even decent character customization and style then LOTRO is not even a title you can look at. Out of the box everyone pretty much looks the same and there is not many character look options and no beginning character customization other than choosing your class. You can customize a little bit playing the game with deeds but even then there are even now cookie cutter molds where everyone is still the same.

COH and SWG along with Eve offer the best character customization at both start and progression.
  • godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

Originally posted by Obraik

CoX? what is that?
    SWG isn't dead, infact it looks to be making a come back.  People are returning and the game is moving forward with new or revamped systems.  This upcoming chapter brings back CH in a more complex and detailed form.

The old skill tree system hasn't returned, but all professions have Expertise trees which allows you to customise your character's skills and abilities to suit the way you like the play.  Kind of like a light version of the old skill trees.

"This upcoming chapter brings back CH in a more complex and detailed form."

You mean with more bugs then before?

---

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

The Top Contenders

1)City of Heroes & City of Villians,  2) EVE,  3) SWG,  4) The Matrix Online, 5) EQII & Lineage II (Fantasy honerable mention)

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• exetocexetoc Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Zarraa

The Top Contenders
    1)City of Heroes & City of Villians,  2) EVE,  3) SWG,  4) The Matrix Online, 5) EQII & Lineage II (Fantasy honerable mention)

Lineage 2? You gotta be kidding me

• JrodJrod Member Posts: 234

Although it isn't out yet I heard Perfect World has really good custimazation. The best I have ever seen is CoX the second best is Everquest 2

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by phosphoros

It has quite possibly the most insane character creation system ever.  Hell, I'd spent a good two hours before just tinkering with it.

I can't recommend SWG.  I know people say it has this great Character creation system but I've never thought that was true because everyone always looks facially very much a like.

Sure if you want green hair and some wild hairdo, that's doable but overall it lack luster.  I won't even go into the nightmare of the NGE.

Indeed.  City of H/V has the best character customization by-far.  I know some people who played that game JUST to make new characters.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

Note:  if  you try City of ..., please do yourself a favor and start out on the Hero side.  You will have very little company and find yourself rather bored and/or frustrated if you play on the Villain side.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

City of Heroes.

You can't really get close to it for customisation.

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Citty of Heroes/Villains definetely has by far the best character customization (even more so than SWG, sorry, it's the truth... It's just a shame CoH/V doesn't have storm trooper armor as an option for your character lol!) SWG is a close second but I hear you still have to do quite a grind after level 40-50 CoH/V from what I hear also has quite a grind, but at least you don't need to change costume unless you get tired and what to go to the "Icon Shop" and get a different one (you have to pay though).

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Originally posted by Bane82

Citty of Heroes/Villains definetely has by far the best character customization (even more so than SWG, sorry, it's the truth... It's just a shame CoH/V doesn't have storm trooper armor as an option for your character lol!) SWG is a close second but I hear you still have to do quite a grind after level 40-50 CoH/V from what I hear also has quite a grind, but at least you don't need to change costume unless you get tired and what to go to the "Icon Shop" and get a different one (you have to pay though).

City of Heroes has great customization, but the repeativeness of that game is a killer.  You'll do the same mission maps dozens of times over and over before you hit max level.  Of course, once you hit max level, you'll find that there is nothing to do but reroll, and you can then go through the same mission maps all over again.  Woot!

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

EvE online is a definate possability good charecter customisation Plenty of 'gear' options making a varied PvE and PvP loadout and on the 27th of this month top of the range graphics with completly new game models textures etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

• VanillateaVanillatea Member Posts: 80

Perfect World seems to have some advanced character customization compared to other MMO's.  You use sliders like in the Sims and they boast about how they can replicate some celeb's faces.

• xashynnxashynn Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Obraik

Star Wars Galaxies gives you alot of character customisation.  It's a little different from other MMO's in that rather then questiong for your new armour or clothing styles, you get in touch with a player crafter and talk get them to make what you like.  The plus side is that you can get everything made exactly how you like it, picking from a huge choice of colours.  Alternatively you could become that crafter :)

SWG is a good game but its expenecive as hell to get good gear. take fully stated primas mando armor ezally will cost you a billion credits.

If you cant kill it. Run from it.

• xashynnxashynn Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by phosphoros

i agree with him if you dont know what youa re doin when you create a character in city of heros or city of villians it can take you ez two hours, but you dont get gear in game. although you do get addition outfits. I dont personally like the game play of CoX though, i found it very diffcult to solo forcing me to always havta find a group if i wanted to play.

SWG is a good game but it gets boring quickly although my favorite thinga bout it is that you can buy your own house and decorite it to the T that part of it is nice, i dont like the traveling, i dont like the fighting system, i dont liek the raiding. but i absolutly love the economy.

If you cant kill it. Run from it.