Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do....

PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150

Well, after cancelling SWG last month and departing with a bad taste in my mouth for MMORPG's, I have been considering returning to some of my earlier gaming endeavors. Namely EVE.

I beta'd EVE some time ago back when I was still playing Jumpgate. The beta account was short lived. It only amounted to a month or so of testing before I got burnt out on filling bug reports and left to experience some other titles on the market.

What I am wondering is how much change has there been to the game since release and is it worth returning to? EVE has been in the back of my mind ever since I quit Jumpgate for AO and Galaxies. Should I give it a try now that it is a year old? Granted it was very buggy and unstable when I played, but the sheer size of the world, the visual eye candy, and the sonic excellence has been burned into my brain ever since the beta test.

One final question:

I am aware that death has very negative consequences in EVE, that PvP is a very important part of EVE, and that a large portion of the virtual world is unregulated and dangerous. My question is about the general community. Is EVE full of PK players that run around shooting everyone on sight just for the hell of it or is there some sort of player established code of conduct that most of the community adheres to? I dont necessarily have a problem with PK as I have done a fair share of PvP in my day and roleplayed a pirate in Jumpgate, but I would not want to enter EVE only to discover that it is a playground for immature griefers looking to repeatedly kill the first n00b they stumble upon.

Ideas? Comments?

Comments

• KlydeKlyde Member UncommonPosts: 38

I also was part of the beta in EVE.

You'll find it has changed much since then, it does still have some bugs, but what online game doesn't?

As far as the PKers, unless their corp is at war with your corp, if they shoot you in "Empire" space, Concord spawns and ganks them. So pvp is limited to a degree, at least in Empire space.

Give it a try, they still have a demo I think. image

• PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150

Yeah, CCP sent me a free trial for being a beta tester but I was a dummy and deleted the message. image

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Eve is the only open PvP game I've never been PKed in. Sure it happens but not allot. Also by PK I mean being killed by someone when I didn't expect it. Sure I've lost PvP match-ups, but I don't consider getting killed by enemy alliance that invaded my alliance space as PKed. You know the risks when you leave empire space. It's allot like complaining about getting punched during a boxing match.

Here's some basic tips:

Anything below .8 security will spawn rats (NPC's) in the asteroid belts. 

Keep out of anything under .5 security (unless your ready for such things). In .5 and below they can attack you away from the gates and stations, also the rats (NPCs) are much meaner than than the ones in .5 and above.

Don't go into .0 unless your ready to die. That's not to say you will die, but you need to have your insurance paid up, and a clone ready to go. Expect it to happen, it will sooner or later, 0 space is rough, but that's what makes the game fun. :)

Dieing can be very bad if you don't have a apporate clone, always be sure to keep a clone with more skill points than you have.

Don't be afraid to ask for help in /corp or on the message forums, the community is rather helpful in general.

Always keep a skill training, train the long skills when you log for the night, train the short ones while you play.

You can interrupt a skill by starting another skill, you'll take no SP loss. But if you "abort" a skill, it will start over and the last completed level, never do this.

Best of luck in the game, If you send me your in game name I'll give my standard newbe starting package.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

Some info:
    You could be killed by other player in 0.4 and below 0.5 is secured by concord police force
    Death is not a problem if you dont use implants: ship insurance and good clone isnt so costly and you lose only little cash not sp (skill points)
    If you join corp in alliance you could relatively safely travel in space that contol this alliance (0.0)
    In flying in 0.4 and below on your own some cautions is needed

(sorry for my english)

• PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150

I decided to give EVE another try. So far Im pretty pleased. There are a few bothersome bugs still but other than that its been a pleasant experience. My only complaint is that some of the basic learning skills cost an exorbitant amount of money for a n00b.

Since I am fairly new, I have decided to start off mining and work myself into hunting and PvP later on when I am more experienced. To begin, I have bought a Caldari "Bantam" and fitted it for pure mining (2 Mining lasers and 2 drones). The next upgrade ship of choice for this career looks to be the Gallante "Imicus". But after the Imicus, what ship do I use for mining? The next logical step would be to buy a hauler and a bunch of locked containers, place the containers in an asteroid belt, mine with my Imicus, and when done return to the containers with the hauler and pick up the load. Is this the correct way to do it?

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

precursor: to mine you should go for cruiser: thorax (gallente), but about industrails, pick one that you like, i like mammoth as it look in my opinion nice, but this is a metter of taste.
    If you want get cash by mining yes mine in frigate to secured than haul in industrial, take asteroid scanner and chose nice big roid than put your industrial to afk mining with one laser, its good cash bost for new players, than buy thorax when you get enough cash mine to secured and pick them with haulers when they are full, if you dont like mining start doing agent mission