Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When do Spec's become too high

DoomLordDoomLord Member UncommonPosts: 124
as pc and game improve so do the spec's needed to play but just lately i have seen some silly spec's on game's like 4 gig ram min 512 mb graphics ok some of us have this but are they not shooting them self in the foot by loosing a lot of the older pc gamers with spec like that and the speed there going up you will need to replace your pc at least 1 a year not just upgrade but 100% over haul.

Comments

• DoomLordDoomLord Member UncommonPosts: 124
    instead of just voting it would be a good idea if you said what you thought as well
  • peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I think specs on MMOs are quite fine right now aslong as they're optimised well. LOTRO the latest MMO to be released, graphics, not amazing but nice on the eye and from what I played in the beta, fairly optimised.
    Originally posted by peanutabc

I think specs on MMOs are quite fine right now aslong as they're optimised well. LOTRO the latest MMO to be released, graphics, not amazing but nice on the eye and from what I played in the beta, fairly optimised.

i agree but i have been looking at some of the up and coming one's and there minimum spec is 4 gig ram and the recomended is 8 gig who has that kind of cash really to spend on just playing a game.
  • peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by DoomLord

Originally posted by peanutabc

i agree but i have been looking at some of the up and coming one's and there minimum spec is 4 gig ram and the recomended is 8 gig who has that kind of cash really to spend on just playing a game.

Which game would that be btw?
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    1 GiG ram only costs £35 now and a duel core PentiumD at 3.2 herts Costs £60 at teh right places for a brand new one. The cost of computer parts does go down over time so no i think the prices are ok just make sure when you make yuor own computer you get a decent motherbourd tht way upgrading is easy and cheap.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

While I realize why developers want to push the limits and create the best looking game possible, I have never understood it from a business standpoint.

I think that one reason that World of Warcraft is so much more successful than other games is its relatively low system requirements -and it's a dual platform (Windows/Macintosh) game.   Many people don't like the look of WoW, and the style of art the game uses, I know, but as a game engine, only the pickiest graphic hounds could find real fault there.

Imagine how huge of a hit Vanguard would have been if they wouldn't have pushed people to the extreme limits with their system specs.  I LOVE the concept.  I LOVE the world and the story.  But there is no way I will ever play that game.  I simply don't have the money to upgrade (well, I do, but I'm not going to spend it on a new rig when my old one is doing everything I need it to do (need- not want).

What a huge business blunder!  I can't help but ask, "What the hell were they thinking?"

Some games and companies used have the clout to almost force the industry to move formward (I'm thinking of Id Software in the Quake days) , but I'd wager that most people who are spending thousands of dollars this year, aren't going to want to do it again soon.

My 2 coppers and my first post here at MMORPG.com

Hello all!  Glad to be here!

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

are partially too high, yes.

After 20 years constantly upgrading my HC or PC I am a bit sick of it. Money would be available, so it is not my point "No, because I am not rich."

My current system: AMD2600 2GHz, nvidia6600, 1.5 ram. I am playing LotRo with low settings. Medium would also work, but not with finest performance. ;)

• healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065
    I am sticking with my system for 3 to 4 years (most likely 4); if my system cannot run the game, I am not buying.  I will never -ever- upgrade a system for a game again.

x2 processor

8800 GTX

2 gig of ram (might upgrade to 4gig in 2 years or so... might)

40g 10k rpm

No sound card

Monitor has worked great for YEARS (SyncMaster 955DF).
    it seems a few people agree with me on the fact that games don't always need to be mega spec as some of the more successful games seem to me mid range but the spec's on games grows it getting to the point where gaming is just about pushing the limit's of the graphics and not the game play.

i my self like good graphics but no matter how good or bad they are there has to be playability.
  • HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by healz4u
    I am sticking with my system for 3 to 4 years (most likely 4); if my system cannot run the game, I am not buying. I will never -ever- upgrade a system for a game again.
    x2 processor
    8800 GTX
    40g 10k rpm
    No sound cardMonitor has worked great for YEARS (SyncMaster 955DF).

mmh, did I use bad english? Because I see a little bit sarcasm in your post.

Originally posted by healz4u

I am sticking with my system for 3 to 4 years (most likely 4); if my system cannot run the game, I am not buying.  I will never -ever- upgrade a system for a game again.

x2 processor

8800 GTX

40g 10k rpm

No sound card

Monitor has worked great for YEARS (SyncMaster 955DF).

thats what im getting at if they want more people to play wouldn't it make more sence to make games that can run on low end pc's rather than just pushing the limit's
  • healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065
    No sarcasm, my Friend.

I am literally not going to buy another PC for 4 years. 

I upgraded my PC for Vanguard (well, designed a new system) and my performance was still poor.  Do not make that mistake.  Do not upgrade or buy a system for a game.  Take my word for this one.

Edit:  I have found that people do not really care about fancy graphics.  Seriously.  In fact, all of my friends and family that have played MMORPGs like zones.  I personally neither like nor dislike zoning.  The seamless world concept is overrated.  Graphics are way overrated.  People want to play a fun game that runs well.  Developers might be excited about fancy grahpics;  gamers are not. 
  • WaterVsAnchWaterVsAnch Member Posts: 15
    4 gig minimum? What games are you looking at? Don't post a bunch of untrue dribble. Most boards can't even support 8 gigs of ram, and you need a 64 bit OS to use 4 gigs. There are currently NO games that recommend any higher than 2 gigs of ram, and those are just a few of the higher end ones. You won't see ram demands like that for quite awhile, if ever. Frankly, I believe newer technology will come out and make common ram obsolete before we see specs like that.

Get off the forums.
    sword of the new world is 1 that says 4 is recommended i am not going to list them all as for a first post you wasting my time as you haven't spent enough time even looking at any game spec's
  • Deemos-QBDeemos-QB Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by DoomLord

sword of the new world is 1 that says 4 is recommended i am not going to list them all as for a first post you wasting my time as you haven't spent enough time even looking at any game spec's

Hmm.... Id like to see where you are getting this information mate. This link below is from SOTNW's official web site as far as I know and it clearly states the recommended RAM is 1 gig >>> http://www.swordofthenewworld.com/requirements.php

I personally think Dev's need to do a lot of research for whatever time period they are releasing their title and come up with something that can be catered to all the different types of PC owners. Also if possible to do the best with what they can, for me one of the best looking games out there is Guild Wars and the performance is silky smooth... I know its instanced up to the eye balls and that is probably one of the main reasons for its fantastic performance and look but I also think its down to the engine ArenaNet is using and efficient thinking on the Dev's behalf.
  • pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505

They do release games that run on low end computers but at the same time wouldn't it be fair to say that people who do enjoy upgrading their comp should have games that use their system to the fullest? People seem to be a little selfish when it comes to this. It's all about "me" and they never think about the bigger picture.

People who try and argue that newer game requirements are too high are selfish. Lets stop all advancement in gaming because you don't want to upgrade you video card. I'm not a rich person, but I'm not going to get all up in arms because I can't play the newest games on their highest settings. My computer is 3 years old now and I am fine with it, it runs every game that's come out so far this year with no problem, but if you think you're going to get away with never upgrading your computer then deal with playing with the games that run on it or buy a gaming console.

It's nothing new, we've been doing this for how many years now, you'd think people would get used to it?

You don't need the newest hardware to keep up with the games anyway.